Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 Installation still trying to boot

These things happen more often then one would expect. I've had third party Comcast contractors leave halfway through a job to break for lunch and once even leave in the middle of a cablecard firmware update because they didn't want to wait. This left me with an unactivated card and a "what the heck?" confused expression on my face. Luckily I was able to go to this contractors office a mile away and speak to the supervisor and they sent someone back out within the hour to finish up. If this had been any other customer there would have been unhappiness.

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

@HD-Tech wrote:

@duckjump wrote:

ComcastKara,

Is there anything that you can do about the latency issues or the sluggish response of the DVR box when responding to the remote?     This is getting very frustrating.

That's the dirty little secret with the X1.  By design, everything that the box does in one way or another interacts with a server(s), a.k.a. the cloud.  Even events that should be completely local like watching the DVR need cloud access.  By this very nature, response times are dictated by all the elements that would affect the speed any other network server.  This includes ping times, bandwidth, number of users present, and many others. 

You can read much more detail about this in the original "X1 Forum" thread that is now closed.

My lag is most severe when the box is "waking up" (which doesnt make any sense because the thing is never off). 

Ths is one of the reasons why I wasn't a big fan of the entire concept of cloud based DVR's because on the event of an outage that may stretch into a longer period of time, these boxes become useless and you can't even watch recorded programming from before the outage occurred. None of this is a problem with the current gen of set top boxes that still use their internal hard drives.

Frequent Visitor

As long as you're passing ideas/suggestions up to management, throw my vote in for the reminders. I miss the ability to set up a reminder to change the channel when a program I don't want to miss comes on.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment-screen saver

happens to me all the time...I can hear the program, but the screen saver shows.

Frequent Visitor

let me know when you find out cave diver...it takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long to scroll horizontally for 24 hours or more!

Frequent Visitor

Mine shut off too...check the instruction guide that came with your remote. Once you set up your TV to go on and off, you can set up your audio device, provided there's a code for it. Now all they have to do is figure out how to shut the X1 box off, LOL.

Contributor

Suggestion for the new remote.  When you press up button while watching a show start and stop pause would be nice like on the old remote.

Contributor

On the X1 Weather app and Traffic app you can add a city but not delete one.

Regular Contributor

Had the X1 installed last week. I set up the Facebook App. Worked perfectly, pictures and all. Now the last couple of days, no pictures at all. Not on my Timeline or in my album. What gives?
Contributor

The device brightness settings do not work. When you dim down the green light and turn the x1 on and off the light is bright green again.

New Poster

new to the forums here. I am trying to access the diagnostics screen on the X1 box. Just installed mine yesterday and haven't been able to figure this out. I don't know if this has already been discussed so I apologize if it has.Also is there a way to set a reminder on a show that comes on later? Is there a resource that I can reference to look up tech tips and tricks? Thanks for the help.

New Poster

Ghost Image of On Demand Listings

I have a background image that is not earth shattering but a little distracting that won't go away.  It is the listing of the most recent On Demand options from a season of a kids show I had on for my son.  Any way to disable this?

New Poster

On Demand Sound Turning Off

There is a consistent problem when I have an On Demand program on that the sound stops, but video keeps going.  I press the up or down volume button and it works again, but it is a pain sometimes as my son watches on demand programs and I am not really focused on the noise.  Any known issues?

Thanks.

New Poster

Guide Features Enhancements

Hoping that we could be allowed to maintain a filter on the guide at all times.  I only want to see the channels that are in HD. Don't want to have to set that each time.

Secondly, the guide doesn't continuously scroll.  When I get to the highest available channel, it dead ends.  It won't reset to the lowest available channel. Seems limited to not allow it to snake around high to low or low to high. 

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

How do to skip a one day/24 hour period in your guide with the new X1 remote?  I am trying to setup series recording for all of my familiy's shows, but can not figure out how to advance/skip days.  I hope I do not have to press arrow forward 100 times.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Surround 5.1

For the past several weeks, I no longer have the issue of the X1 box audio reverting to stereo sound; it stays on surround and my AVR properly indicates Dolby Digital. However, the video setting will not stay at 1080p - it keeps reverting to 720p, despite my set being a native 1080p unit. Probably doesn't make a huge difference I guess, given lack of broadcasts at 1080p resolution.

Regular Contributor

To access Diagnostics:

Hold down Exit for 5 seconds

Down arrow twice 

Press #2

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

When the phone rings or the laundry needs to go in the dryer I press "Pause". And then the X1 automatically un-pauses about 5 minutes later! Not only is it noisy, but it takes a half-dozen or more keypresses to get back to where I was in my recorded or on demand show.

With DirecTV I could pause for ages (an hour? more?), which was useful since when my mom calls it's often an hour-long conversation. And then just press "play" to continue watching my show.

Is there any way to configure the length of time that the X1 pauses? If not, PLEASE file this as a feature request, since pause is basically useless with such a short length of time.

Thanks!

P.S. DirecTV also had a "stop" button, which might help as a workaround for a reasonable "pause" behavior, but there isn't any such button on the XR2 remote...

Regular Contributor

Something is wrong there. Live TV should stay paused for an hour. (Time shift buffer)

DVR recordings shouldn't be affected this say.

OnDemand will time-out after a short while. I've noticed for me if I pause OnDemand for a while and come back, it's timed-out and I can't resume my position. :/
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

I heard that the fan  in the X1 is real loud but i cant here anything but i only got the X1 an hour ago and its going to take some time to get used to the X1 compared to the DVR that i used to have.So far i havent had a problems with it yet.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@captainvideojw wrote:
Something is wrong there. Live TV should stay paused for an hour. (Time shift buffer)

DVR recordings shouldn't be affected this say.

OnDemand will time-out after a short while. I've noticed for me if I pause OnDemand for a while and come back, it's timed-out and I can't resume my position. :/

I almost never watch live TV, although I believe I had a similar problem when pausing. Or maybe it was with a recording - I'll do some more experimentation.

OnDemand definitely has WAY too short a time-out. It's no more than 5 minutes. And I was once able to resume (starting from the "Recently Watched" selection) and once wasn't. So instead of pausing I have to "Exit" (and then mute, so I don't hear the noise of whatever is on live) and then the "Resume" button is available when I come back - which I guess if pause is so short will have to be the default "pause" activity. What a pain.

Contributor

You CAN'T skip 24 hours at a time which is a joke.  I too want to set up days of recordings and it is a major pain in the azz.  I can't believe they didn't include this feature, horrible oversight.

"Hi All,

How do to skip a one day/24 hour period in your guide with the new X1 remote?  I am trying to setup series recording for all of my familiy's shows, but can not figure out how to advance/skip days.  I hope I do not have to press arrow forward 100 times."

Regular Contributor

They've got plenty of buttons to facilitate a day jump: A B C D...

In the mean time I use Xfinity TV Remote app to do this. It's a stop-gap, but it works, for now.
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Just got some X1 boxes installed today.  So far so good.  One issue I can't seem to find the answer to is regarding 4:3 override like in the old boxes.  I'd prefer the box to do the scaling rather than having to hit the screen size button for the TV.  The old box you'd turn off and hit the menu button to access those settings, but seems to be a no go on the new box.  Anyone find that setting anywhere?

New Poster

I've had x1 for 30 days. I'm on the second box, the first one stopped booting. This one has several bugs. The power light when dimmed often comes up full even when set to dim. And setting it again works. The box stops accepting any commands for many seconds - some times 20 or more. About one or twice a day the box is stuck. Yesterday, it was on a channel but would not change channel or accept any commands. The day before it was playing a dvr recording with the time out of sync such that we could not get past the middle of the program. Other times, other strange things happen. The only fix has been to pull the power plug and let it reboot.

The box seem sluggish the most in the evenings, is there some contention with other users?

To me there appears to be a lot of software reliability problems. There are also issues where the operation could be improved on but the reliability is more important to fix.

Is there a new software release coming soon. I'm new to Comcast and I'm considering whether to switch to another DVR or just go to a plain set top box.

I have confirmed I have the latest software. Or at least the box says so.

Frequent Visitor

Re: RF Control of Pace HD Box

Contributor

Where it the Dvr Manager Queue on the X1 box?

Silver Problem Solver

@InTheSticks wrote:

Just got some X1 boxes installed today.  So far so good.  One issue I can't seem to find the answer to is regarding 4:3 override like in the old boxes.  I'd prefer the box to do the scaling rather than having to hit the screen size button for the TV.  The old box you'd turn off and hit the menu button to access those settings, but seems to be a no go on the new box.  Anyone find that setting anywhere?

One way is to press the red xfinity button on the remote.  Then navigate to the "gear" icon to the right across the top.  Then press enter which will bring up Device Settings on the left pane.

Press enter again and you can arrow down to Video Display.  In the right pane is an option for Zoom.  Change it to Full.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@hsokphilly wrote:

As long as you're passing ideas/suggestions up to management, throw my vote in for the reminders. I miss the ability to set up a reminder to change the channel when a program I don't want to miss comes on.

Thanks, hsokphilly - Reminders is on list for potential enhancements!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment-screen saver

@hsokphilly wrote:

happens to me all the time...I can hear the program, but the screen saver shows.

That behavior is correct - the screen saver will not mute the audio. 

Regular Contributor

@hsokphilly wrote:

let me know when you find out cave diver...it takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long to scroll horizontally for 24 hours or more!

Thanks, hsokphilly - we are looking for ways to improve the navigation in our future releases. Our product team is aware for the "skip to day" requests. 

Regular Contributor

@Newx1user wrote:

Suggestion for the new remote.  When you press up button while watching a show start and stop pause would be nice like on the old remote.

Thanks, Newx1user. I've shared this feedback with our product management team. 

Frequent Visitor

Advancing out a day on the guide.

Just recently got X1.  On my old remote you could advance the guide by a whole day, but there doesn't seem to be a possibility on the X1.  Any way to do that?

Regular Contributor

Re: Advancing out a day on the guide.

@gatechinvestor wrote:

Just recently got X1.  On my old remote you could advance the guide by a whole day, but there doesn't seem to be a possibility on the X1.  Any way to do that?

Yes i would like to know that as well as i just got the X1 last Friday and still am learning how to operate the X1.

The biggest problem i have had with the X1 is that it sometimes freezes up for a couple of minutes where i cant do anything but that normally happens after midnight.

Regular Contributor

@RobertCoplin wrote:

@gatechinvestor wrote:

Yes i would like to know that as well as i just got the X1 last Friday and still am learning how to operate the X1.

The biggest problem i have had with the X1 is that it sometimes freezes up for a couple of minutes where i cant do anything but that normally happens after midnight.

Currently, there is no way to advance the guide by a whole day.  For now, if you're trying to set future programs to record, it's probably easier to use the Xfinity TV app if you have a smartphone or the online guide if you're using a web browser.  As for the freezing, I believe others have noted, that this is most likely a bandwith issue since the X1 platform is cloud-based, meaning that during prime time some users have noticed that the box is sluggish (probably due to the fact that most people in the area are watching TV at that time).  If you're experiencing freezing late at night, it is likely that your DVR or child is pulling an update during that time.  Comcast updates the software on the X1 boxes pretty often, and it's usually late at night as to not interrupt the majority of TV watchers during prime time.

Regular Visitor

X1 issues

I've had the X1 and two receivers(not sure if that's what their called) for three days now. The X1 box works fine and has no issues. So far, I've had to reset my bedroom receiver twice. The first time was because no lights were on the box. The 2nd time was due to no picture being displayed. Now, neither receiver will pause or rewind. When trying to pause, the pause symbol displays but doesn't pause. When trying to rewind, the circle with the line through it appears telling me that I can't perform that request. Not sure if anyone has had this issue or not. I'm not too happy. I was ready to try the dish until I heard about the X1. Maybe it was a mistake.
Regular Contributor

@gatechinvestor wrote:

The "skip to day" functionality is not supported by X1, however is on the backlog for future consideration. 

Regular Contributor

@RobertCoplin wrote:

@gatechinvestor wrote:

The "skip to day" functionality is not supported by X1, however is on the backlog for future consideration. 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 issues

@Donb73 wrote:
I've had the X1 and two receivers(not sure if that's what their called) for three days now. The X1 box works fine and has no issues. So far, I've had to reset my bedroom receiver twice. The first time was because no lights were on the box. The 2nd time was due to no picture being displayed. Now, neither receiver will pause or rewind. When trying to pause, the pause symbol displays but doesn't pause. When trying to rewind, the circle with the line through it appears telling me that I can't perform that request. Not sure if anyone has had this issue or not. I'm not too happy. I was ready to try the dish until I heard about the X1. Maybe it was a mistake.

The HD boxes (non-DVR boxes) do not support trick play functionality while watching live TV (rew/ff/pause/etc). You can use those functions if you are watching On Demand or DVR recordings. 

Regular Contributor

@Newx1user wrote:

Where it the Dvr Manager Queue on the X1 box?

Queue and personalization is not yet supported on X1, however is on the backlog for future enhancements. 

Regular Contributor

Re: On Demand Sound Turning Off

@tak4505 wrote:

There is a consistent problem when I have an On Demand program on that the sound stops, but video keeps going.  I press the up or down volume button and it works again, but it is a pain sometimes as my son watches on demand programs and I am not really focused on the noise.  Any known issues?

Thanks.

Not a known issue, tak4505. I will send you a PM to gather your account details. thanks. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Guide Features Enhancements

@tak4505 wrote:

Hoping that we could be allowed to maintain a filter on the guide at all times.  I only want to see the channels that are in HD. Don't want to have to set that each time.

Secondly, the guide doesn't continuously scroll.  When I get to the highest available channel, it dead ends.  It won't reset to the lowest available channel. Seems limited to not allow it to snake around high to low or low to high. 

Thanks.

thanks for your comments, tak4505. At this time, the filter remains persistent for 4 hours then returns back to default. I've shared your feedback for the filters and scroll with out product management team. 

Regular Contributor

I've had my X1 for about two weeks.  I have two DVR's that I intended to operate independantly.  I must have one of the newer boxes because they have operated flawlessly.  Fast response with no fan noise.  It seems that whatever complaints I might have are more software related.

• Inability to advance the guide by day or date.
  • Loss of 30 second skip function as in older system.
  • Inability to isolate boxes so that they don't all read each others DVR's. (Should be optional in set up)
  • Auto channel does not work.
  • Where is the voice command that has been advertised so vigorously?
  • Does not remember filter functions in the guide so that each time I turn on the TV I have to recall.
Regular Contributor

Under device settings, make sure to select zoom=none

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment-recording

When I stop a recording before the shows done, the red light on the box turns off. The problem is that it stays lit on the other two boxes. I have an X1 and two digital receivers ( I guess that's what their called). It doesn't matter which box I use to delete the recording, the red recording light on the other 2 stay lit. It's been several hours and they are still lit. Anyone else having this issue?
New Poster

Re: X1 – Search

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Just got X1 Anyroom DVR (1 DVR, 2 terminals) installed yesterday in the Bloomington, IL area. Can I please comment on how freaking awesome the X1 platform is? Install did require a truck roll even though I already had the previous Anyroom product (and hence already had a MoCA barrel connector outside).

After reading the forums I would like to comment to Comcast personnel how good the X1 experience has been thus far, and I would like to encourage them to continue developing apps for Windows Phone 8 - the recent Xfinity Remote app is quite nice - and to one day add stream-from-DVR features to X1 so I could watch my recorded shows from my PC, for example. Or tablet, phone, etc.

At any rate, folks, my experience has been great. X1 is so much nicer than the old platform.

Now if I could only get Port 25 unblocked on my home Internet so I could run my small family email server... Smiley Happy

EDIT: I should mention that the 1 DVR and 1 terminal are each connected via HDMI to home theater receivers, and I experience no handshaking/resolution issues on either box.

EDIT2: Also, the lights work "properly" for me (after reading some previous posts on this forum), although I am surprised with the passion for which people comment about light settings on the terminals.

Contributor

To isolate the boxes the multiroom feature has to be turned off by comcast that worked for me.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Anyroom DVR in Chicagoland

I have an installer here right now telling me my up stream is too high on my two non-main DVR boxes.  He is saying I need to call an electrician myself and pay for him to install new wiring.  The DVR option is not even showing up on the screen on my two non-main boxes.  Everything else works fine, including On Demand.  This guy has no clue and is just coming up with a reason so he can leave.  I know it is new, and he told me he hardly knows anything about this system and that someone else told him the up stream was the problem, but I personally think it is a software issue with the small boxes or maybe my switch is not flipped at Comcast HQ or something.

Please help.