Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

I just got the new X1 setup yesterday and so far it’s great but I have a few things I don’t like and one thing that I can’t figure out how to do and one issue.

1. When I change the channel by entering the number like 3 I keep getting a search bar on the right side showing all kinds of listings. I have to press ok to select the channel I want. Thing is I know what channel l want and don’t need some search menu to come up. Just want it to go to the channel weather it’s 3 or 50 or 703. So how can I make it do this like it should and go to search when I need to.
  2. When in the guide and highlight something a message bubble shows more info and covers up other listings and make it real hard to see everything on the page without having to move around up down right left. If I want to see more info on something I can press info.
  3. When I ordered I was told I would be able to watch recording in the other rooms and have not been able to figure out how to do that. The tech that did my install was not real helpful and he just wanted to get done ASAP and leave. Didn’t explain much of anything. And the Welcome to Xfinity packet he left didn’t have the correct info in it; it had the old remote and all the old info. Basically useless.  At least the channel guide was correct.
  4. Also when I press the All Power it TV goes off but the STB does not (does it on all 4 boxes). The power light stays on and if I manually turn the TV back on the cable is still on. I can manually turn off the STB and then press the All Power button it does turn on the STB. Why doesn’t it turn off? I don’t want to pay the power bill for it being on all the time that is a waste of energy and money. Plus one of the boxes is on the wall above the TV in the bedroom and I can’t reach it without a step stool.

Thanks for any help you could provide...

Regular Contributor

1) I'd welcome a direct tune option as well.

3) AnyRoom DVR functionality is supposed to be rolled out via a firmware update in June.

4) They disabled Standby on the boxes. You can read why they said they did it on previous pages. To your comment on power, a couple people in here have measured power on and off. Apparently there is no difference. All of mine are on UPS's and stay on anyway. I can see how no stand by would bother some. For me it's not a big deal.
New Poster

Thanks for the quick reply...

Driect tune is the way it should be and search an option you select.

One thing that bugs me the most about not going into standby or off is that darn light on in the bedroom with all the lights off. Guess i'll just have to put some black tape on it.

Highlighted
Contributor

Best Output resolution / Add Native output option?

I'm struggling with which output resolution to use on the X1. I am using both outputs simultaneously, however, I only use one of them at a time:

Component directly to my 1080p Samsung LED DLP - for casual viewing
HDMI to my Onkyo receiver to my TV - for all other viewing

On my old Motorola DCX3400 box, I could select 'Native'. While this added some annoying handshaking delays, I found I got the best results because both my TV and especially my receiver have better scalers than the moto DVR.

Does anyone know if the scaler in the X1 box is noticeably better than the last generation moto DVRs?
What are your preferred output settings? Is it different by output type, i.e. component vs HDMI?
Does anyone else want a 'Native' output option?
Does anyone else want dual HDMI outputs?

Thanks for your input.
Regular Contributor

Re: Xr2 remote problems

@Shan77 wrote:

I hit the tv button on the xr2 remote and now it wont work with the box.

Hi Shan77 - if your box is a X1 box, here are helpful links, including the remote control pairing instructions: 

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_122911...

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Best Output resolution / Add Native output option?

@BondMan007 wrote:
I'm struggling with which output resolution to use on the X1. I am using both outputs simultaneously, however, I only use one of them at a time:

Component directly to my 1080p Samsung LED DLP - for casual viewing
HDMI to my Onkyo receiver to my TV - for all other viewing

On my old Motorola DCX3400 box, I could select 'Native'. While this added some annoying handshaking delays, I found I got the best results because both my TV and especially my receiver have better scalers than the moto DVR.

Does anyone know if the scaler in the X1 box is noticeably better than the last generation moto DVRs?
What are your preferred output settings? Is it different by output type, i.e. component vs HDMI?
Does anyone else want a 'Native' output option?
Does anyone else want dual HDMI outputs?

Thanks for your input.

I have a Samsung UN60D7000 3D LED and an Onkyo TX-NR609.  The TV is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI and my X1 DVR is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

My Samsung says it is getting a 1080P signal and I'm getting surround from the DVR, when the Comcast source is 5.1.  I also have a Samsung 3D DVR and a PS/3 connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.  The PCM from the PS/3 is processed correctly by my Onkyo.

I had to buy the Onkyo for the 3D support.  I think it is a very good AVR for the closeout price I paid at Fry's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@ChallengerGuy wrote:

I just got the new X1 setup yesterday and so far it’s great but I have a few things I don’t like and one thing that I can’t figure out how to do and one issue.

1. When I change the channel by entering the number like 3 I keep getting a search bar on the right side showing all kinds of listings. I have to press ok to select the channel I want. Thing is I know what channel l want and don’t need some search menu to come up. Just want it to go to the channel weather it’s 3 or 50 or 703. So how can I make it do this like it should and go to search when I need to.
  2. When in the guide and highlight something a message bubble shows more info and covers up other listings and make it real hard to see everything on the page without having to move around up down right left. If I want to see more info on something I can press info.
  3. When I ordered I was told I would be able to watch recording in the other rooms and have not been able to figure out how to do that. The tech that did my install was not real helpful and he just wanted to get done ASAP and leave. Didn’t explain much of anything. And the Welcome to Xfinity packet he left didn’t have the correct info in it; it had the old remote and all the old info. Basically useless.  At least the channel guide was correct.
  4. Also when I press the All Power it TV goes off but the STB does not (does it on all 4 boxes). The power light stays on and if I manually turn the TV back on the cable is still on. I can manually turn off the STB and then press the All Power button it does turn on the STB. Why doesn’t it turn off? I don’t want to pay the power bill for it being on all the time that is a waste of energy and money. Plus one of the boxes is on the wall above the TV in the bedroom and I can’t reach it without a step stool.

Thanks for any help you could provide...

thanks for your post, challengerguy

1. Search feature will appear with each key press. At this time, there isn't a way to disable this, however this suggestion has been shared with the product management team.

2. you can disable the info pop-up shown in the guide. Press XFINITY on the remote, select Settings -> Preferences -> General -> and choose "Display Info Pop-ups" and hit OK

3. If your account is not provisioned for any room DVR functionality, you will be unable to watch recordings on another box. If you contact 1-800-COMCAST, they will be able to confirm if you have this additional feature on your account. 

4. The XR2 remote, used with the X1 Platform, is designed to get your TV and set top box powered on in sync.  The remote's set top standby functionality has been been disabled to keep the power functionality as simple as possible – just press "all power" when you want to watch TV and your devices all turn on – no more turning your TV on while making your set top turn off by mistake.  At the end of your session if you want the power light off you still can still do this by pressing the power button on the front of the box.  

Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:
I read about that yesterday in the press release.
Doesn't work with my boxes yet. DVR'S didn't update and are still on 5/23/13 firmware.

Send to TV FAQs (https://sendtotv.x1.comcast.net/faq.html): 

Send to TV is available to Comcast customers that have an XG1 set-top box on the X1 Platform, XFINITY’s next-generation entertainment platform, and Xfinity Internet service.

For instructions on how to install and use Send to TV, visit http://sendtotv.x1.comcast.net/.

For more information on the X1 Platform, visit http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Kara, they've since updated to 6/4 firmware.
I'm sure you have a hectic job. But would you please elaborate on AnyRoom? Is it available via this update? Thank you!
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Kara,

I have 3 X1 DVR boxes can I use Anyroom DVR feature with these boxes?

Also does Anyroom DVR disable any of the hard drives on my 3 DVR's? Or can I use AnyRoom DVR feature and all 3 hard drives?

Also will it be more money per month for Anyroom DVR?

Silver Problem Solver

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Kara,

Also does Anyroom DVR disable any of the hard drives on my 3 DVR's? Or can I use AnyRoom DVR feature and all 3 hard drives?

I live in the Houston area.  I have two X1 DVR's and two X1 boxes.  Take what I found out with a grain of salt.  I'm seeing all sorts of problems on these forums.

The 1-800-comcast CSR told me they are rolling out Anyroom in our area with the old guide first and then they wll upgrade to the new guide later.  He recommended I wait until they can provision for the new guide before I have Anyroom installed.  He said I didn't need any new boxes, but I would save the cost of the extra DVR ($17.95/mo) if I get Anyroom.  They would replace my second DVR with a standard X1 STB.

Replacing the second DVR with a standard X1 STB means I lose all the recordings on that box as well as the scheduled recordings.  If I get Anyroom, I would take whatever time it takes to move my scheduled recordings on my second DVR over to my first DVR.  Then I would have them come out when the new X1 guide is ready for Anyroom.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

I'm also in Houston and I'm irritated I wasted my time calling to check availability of AnyRoom. Corey says it is available, adds it to my account. Says wait 30 minutes for your boxes to reset. I wait over an hour. Call back and Brittany says nope, it's not available yet. No explanation for what Corey told me or an apology for my time wasted.
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:
Thanks Kara, they've since updated to 6/4 firmware.
I'm sure you have a hectic job. But would you please elaborate on AnyRoom? Is it available via this update? Thank you!

Hi captainvideojw. Anyroom DVR is available in most X1 markets. In order to add anyroom DVR to your account, you will need to call 1-800-COMCAST and add the feature to your account. Pricing and bundle offers vary market to market, so I am cannot confirm that level of information. 

Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:
I'm also in Houston and I'm irritated I wasted my time calling to check availability of AnyRoom. Corey says it is available, adds it to my account. Says wait 30 minutes for your boxes to reset. I wait over an hour. Call back and Brittany says nope, it's not available yet. No explanation for what Corey told me or an apology for my time wasted.

Just seeing this post after I just responded to your original question. I am going to send you a PM to gather account level information and confirm if its been added to your account (or if we need to trouble shoot why its not working). 

Frequent Visitor

I also keep getting the run around in houston about the anyroom DVR. One person says I should have it, another says I can't. Last night i was on the phone for a while and the person on the phone "re sent a signal" and told me it could take up to an hour+ and to call back if it didn't work. After well over an hour nothing happened and I just gave up and went to bed.

Very frustrating.

I also noticed that my non dvr x1 boxes are VERY sluggish. My office X1 box when the green button light is on, the box sends no tv signal. When the green button light is off, I see the TV, but can't switch channels manually. Only way I can switch channels is by going through the guide.

Regular Visitor

Kara,

Is there any way to force a download of the latest firmware? 

My X1 DVR is still on the May firmware.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I would keep the old firmware... The june one makes my boxes lag big time.

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment- sports app

Hi comcast Kara,
Anyway to disable the sports app from automatically popping up when you tune to a sports channel? If not currently I would like to request this enhancement.
New Poster

X2 Remote - Can Audio be set seperate from TV

Just got my old DVR swapped for a new one....however with the reomte have only been able to figure out how to set a single device with the remote....so the power button AND the volume controls on the remote both are controlling the TV itself....I had the old remote so the volume buttons controlled the seperate Audio Receiver.

Can I set the new remote so the TV buttons work the TV, but the volume button controls the receiver?

Regular Contributor

I have anyroom service here in South Jersey 08066 and called about getting X1 set up becauce of the extra tuners for recording.Customer service told me yes X1 boxes are available in my area with anyroom service but, at this time couldn't offer to me since I only have double play .

Apparently I would have to get triple play to get it which, I have no use for phone service since my wife and I have just use are cells since 2007 and did away with land line.The CSA tried to induce me into triple play for only $5 difference then my current bill but,on limited income and don't want to start with a new phone number after all this time.CSA did say trhat in the future X1 should be available to non triple play customers too.This is a little disapointing was hoping to be able to get X1 with the extra tuners to enhance the anyroom service I have.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X2 Remote - Can Audio be set seperate from TV

@Dan123456 wrote:

Just got my old DVR swapped for a new one....however with the reomte have only been able to figure out how to set a single device with the remote....so the power button AND the volume controls on the remote both are controlling the TV itself....I had the old remote so the volume buttons controlled the seperate Audio Receiver.

Can I set the new remote so the TV buttons work the TV, but the volume button controls the receiver?

It may depend on how your receiver works.  I was able to program the X1 remote for my receiver and it made the remote able to control the sound through the receiver.  I don't use my TV's remote for anything, including changing channels.  Your question is a little hard to answer because your weren't too clear on what you are trying to do.

Contributor

Dan123456, yes you can set the x2 to control your avr audio. Search for the x2 instructions online and enter the code for your receiver. The volume and power all should work (although the power on works for me the power off doesn't work- others have had better success than me). It all depends on avr.
Regular Contributor

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/#Program_XR2_work_to_con...

@Dan123456 wrote:

Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Kara,

Yes, you can your X1 DVR boxes with this feature. Each of the DVR will show the combined consolidate list of recordings from all 3 DVR.  Scheduling will only take place on the DVR that it was initiated from.  You cannot schedule a recording from one DVR to a different DVR.

Regarding cost - pricing for anyroom DVR and X1 services varies market to market. Please contact 1-800-COMCAST for pricing and availability details. 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment- sports app

@Dillinger wrote:
Hi comcast Kara,
Anyway to disable the sports app from automatically popping up when you tune to a sports channel? If not currently I would like to request this enhancement.

Yes. At the bottom of the sports app message, there is a check box with "Dont show me this again" message. Select this option and the sports app will not automatically appear. You can enable the sports app (if you would like to see it) by hitting the yellow C key on the XR2 remote. 

Regular Contributor

@rjoh312 wrote:

Kara,

Is there any way to force a download of the latest firmware? 

My X1 DVR is still on the May firmware.

Thanks

At this time, there is no was to "force" the software updates. We gradually roll the updates out over a short period of time. Your box should eventually update with the latest version in a couple of weeks. 

Regular Contributor

@stevep51 wrote:

I have anyroom service here in South Jersey 08066 and called about getting X1 set up becauce of the extra tuners for recording.Customer service told me yes X1 boxes are available in my area with anyroom service but, at this time couldn't offer to me since I only have double play .

Apparently I would have to get triple play to get it which, I have no use for phone service since my wife and I have just use are cells since 2007 and did away with land line.The CSA tried to induce me into triple play for only $5 difference then my current bill but,on limited income and don't want to start with a new phone number after all this time.CSA did say trhat in the future X1 should be available to non triple play customers too.This is a little disapointing was hoping to be able to get X1 with the extra tuners to enhance the anyroom service I have.

stevep51 - The X1 deployment strategy differs market to market. Some markets are deploying to triple  play customers only. Please check back in the near future to see if they opened the offers up to other tiers of service. 

New Poster

@screenname137 wrote:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/#Program_XR2_work_to_con...

@Dan123456 wrote:

Just got my old DVR swapped for a new one....however with the reomte have only been able to figure out how to set a single device with the remote....so the power button AND the volume controls on the remote both are controlling the TV itself....I had the old remote so the volume buttons controlled the seperate Audio Receiver.

THANK YOU!

Exactly what I needed to know and it WORKED!!

Contributor

I use a Harmony One remote and having direct access to frequently used features would be fantastic.  Are there plans to add discrete buttons for certain X1 DVR functions?

Like...

Closed Caption

DVR tab of the Xfinity Menu

OnDemand tab

Search tab

Settings tab

Regular Contributor

Thanks Tara for your response I will be keep checking on it in the future.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Kara,

Yes, you can your X1 DVR boxes with this feature. Each of the DVR will show the combined consolidate list of recordings from all 3 DVR.  Scheduling will only take place on the DVR that it was initiated from.  You cannot schedule a recording from one DVR to a different DVR.

Regarding cost - pricing for anyroom DVR and X1 services varies market to market. Please contact 1-800-COMCAST for pricing and availability details. 

Hi Kara,

So I called today trying to get Anyroom activated.  I talked to:

a) local person who knew nothing about it, got xfer'd to X1 and promply disconnected

b) called the X1 number myself and got confirmation that it should work,

c) tranferred to billing to get it set up, ended up in Illinois who cannot help with GA,

d) xfered back to GA - woman didn't think it should work - was going to call me back in 10 minutes.  Has been about an hour now...

So, just so I don't waste anymore time with this, will two X1 boxes be able to do AnyRoom between them without having to add terminals or replace one with a terminal?

Thank you.

BTW, the main Comcast X1 page (http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1) presents AnyRoom DVR as a feature of X1 as:

- An advanced HD DVR that does it all.

- Watch in any room.

- Record 4 shows at once.

- Store hundreds of shows.

No where does it indicate there would be any charge for any of these features.  And when I go to the "Shopping" page, there's no mention of it.  Just an FYI that this needs some clarification.

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment. anyroom

BTW, I'm in NJ, Burlington county, the rep told me last night any room is not currently available in my area. And it costs an extra $8 a month...
New Poster

X1 Platform

Two questions about Xfinity X1 platform:

I have 2 normal DVRs. Can I just upgrade one to the X1 platform?

Does the XI device need an ethernet connection?

Silver Problem Solver

@BondMan007 wrote:

I use a Harmony One remote and having direct access to frequently used features would be fantastic.  Are there plans to add discrete buttons for certain X1 DVR functions?

Like...

Closed Caption

OnDemand tab

Search tab

Settings tab

I read on dslreports that Logitech now has an "X1 Remote" in their data base.

Regular Contributor

Kara I'm sorry for the miss spell of your name on earlier responce but, was answering on my Windfows 8 phone from work.Though I still appreciate your responce to my original post.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Platform

They'll want to change all of your boxes to the X1 platform in my experience.

No, you don't need an Ethernet connection. It does have an Ethernet port. But this is disabled. The box has its own modem inside.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform

I am trying to go back to my old boxes as my DVR is automatically deleting my shows after they are recorded and it doesn't give me the option to even watch them. Plus when I go to my deleted option and they are not even in there. So ANNOYING!!!
Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment *Volume

Just got my X1 DVR last week and Ive noticed that the TV volume must be turned up a lot higher than with the old Moto DCX box I had.  Is there any setting or something to increase the volume output?  Ive checked all the cables and there is nothing loose.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment *Volume

Hornets27 we are right there with you. Was wandering the same thing.
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@BondMan007 wrote:

Like...

Closed Caption

OnDemand tab

Search tab

Settings tab

I read on dslreports that Logitech now has an "X1 Remote" in their data base.

"Xfinity X1" - it's been there a while - maybe for 3 months or more - since I set mine up.  Although I don't think it is completely correct - my "A B C D" buttons don't work as they should.

Regular Visitor

used the exit 3x 0030 to set the 30 sec skip.  it also sets the page down to -30secs.

New Poster

Re: PA PR150BNM cable box problems

i can relate to your post.  just got my x1 yesterday, now have a problem 'elevated' nationally... i'm not thrilled to be in the test group.  i worry the salesman over-promised.  the dvr seems to work but the 2 other boxes won't 'any room' w/ it.  they tried to send a firmware update but it didn't work.  also i'm not able to set up voice mail retrieval on it.

Frequent Visitor

Sweetjane what part of the country are you in. I'm in Texas and just had a tech leave my house and he said the any room is going to be released here June 24th. I'll believe it when I see it on my screen.
New Poster

X1 terminal box has a small picture....

My X1 DVR is working perfectly.

My X1 termimal box has a small picture in the top left corner instead of filling out the whole screen. The guide fills out the whole screen when opened but the video doesn't. The picture size is about the same size as what the picture used to be when opening the guide on a legacy box.

The video options in the settings doesn't give me the format options, I have tried 2 other tvs and I have swapped out the terminal for a new one as well.

Please help!!!

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 – Slingbox IR vs RF

I just had X1 equipment installed -- a DVR and a smaller unit for the bedroom. The smaller unit is replacing an earlier HD cable box which I have long used with a slingbox. The slingbox receives the TV signal from the X1 unit properly but does not appear to be setup to use an RF remote control. It appears that the physical remote control that came with the X1 communicates with the X1 only via RF. The X1 box does not seem to respond to any IR signal from any conventional IR remote control (I've tried a number of them). Is there any way to set up the X1 to use RF, or is there some other means of getting the slingbox and the X1 to talk to each other. I note that on the back of the X1 there's a plug marked "IR Receive."

New Poster

Zambo,

we just got the X1 here in harford county MD (apparently only Tuesday!); it has been in baltimore county (and in Philly/Boston). i switched over from satellite to the triple play & the salesguy was excited to offer me the X1.  the support team is on the issues, i think cuz it's early in the roll out they seem eager to troubleshoot problems asap so they don't lose time in further installs.

Frequent Visitor

Sweetjane

Make sure you ask for a senior tech that comes to your house. Ask him/her for their phone number as well as their supervisors phone number. Make a call to the supervisor complementing how well the tech did at your home. Assuming you felt they did a good job. They are not used to getting these calls and they will usually tell you to contact them if you ever have any issues. A lot of these techs are learning as they go, and face a lot of challenges out in the field, think of it as Microsoft where they release a product before it is ready and the user community is faced with finding all the issues. So far my tech and his supervisor have been AMAZING! Now if I could just get a credit on my bill for the days my tv was acting up I would be golden!!!
Regular Visitor

I've had the X1 for about 3 weeks now, everything has been working well except for the caller ID notifications. I've turned everything on in the preferences and on the web at http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/home.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Regular Visitor

Hello everyone.  New here so be gentle.  I have scanned this entire subject from the beginning and did not see reference to the issue I am experiencing so I am making this post. I had an X1 HD DRV (Green Power Light) installed this past Tuesday.  I am using an XR2 remote paired to my TV.  Very happy so far with one exception.  The Tech that performed my install even new about this issue and had no solve.  Following the act of powering the STB off, using the All Power button on the remote or the power button on the the STB, the remote no longer functions at all except for TV functions.  The remote is sending a signal because the All Power button is lighting up.  Just no response from the STB.  To return the functionality back to normal, I have to power cycle the STB.  The easy answer is obviously to leave the STB on, however,   I would prefer that the STB worked properly.  I tried the X1 Phone app as well and it to can not operate the STB after it is shut off and turned back on.  Otherwise it works flawlessly.  Is there a solve in the works for this?

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Slingbox IR vs RF

@jdschantz wrote:

I just had X1 equipment installed -- a DVR and a smaller unit for the bedroom. The smaller unit is replacing an earlier HD cable box which I have long used with a slingbox. The slingbox receives the TV signal from the X1 unit properly but does not appear to be setup to use an RF remote control. It appears that the physical remote control that came with the X1 communicates with the X1 only via RF. The X1 box does not seem to respond to any IR signal from any conventional IR remote control (I've tried a number of them). Is there any way to set up the X1 to use RF, or is there some other means of getting the slingbox and the X1 to talk to each other. I note that on the back of the X1 there's a plug marked "IR Receive."

So, I'm confused.

The smaller unit, Pace PR150 does not have RF capability. The box only works with IR. The IR port is for an IR receiver if it is put in a cabinet or something.

The DVR does have RF capability.