Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

The cap is currently suspended. And we hope it goes away. So does it matter that much?
Problem Solver

@captainvideojw wrote:
The cap is currently suspended. And we hope it goes away. So does it matter that much?

Well, it probably could matter if the cap was reinstated and the usage from the X1 service was in fact somehow tracked against the cap--that could definitely be an issue, however, again, only if that was to actually happen.

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

I wonder how much the X1 box, with all its cloud enabled functionality, is contributing to my overall data IP usage. 

Hi bradbortner - thanks for your post. The X1 Platform set-top boxes connect to the Comcast cloud servers using a dedicated connection that is not shared with your high-speed data connection, and the traffic used by the X1 Platform is not counted against your data modem usage.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:
Would really like to see support for my external hard drive. The eSATA port is there. The WD DVR Expander 1 TB is there and connected. Just waiting for the switch to be flipped. Smiley Wink

Did I say pleeeeeassse?

Captainvideojw - thanks for your suggestion! I shared your comment with the DVR Product Manager for future enhancement consideration. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you Kara! I appreciate that.

It seems to make since to me sense most of the rest of your DVR footprint supports them.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/
Contributor

I'm considering getting the X1 box. All of my equipment is housed in a separate equipment room and I use a Control4 system and Control4 remote in the theater room to control the system. Are there any known problems using the X1 with a Control4 system and Control4 remote?

New Poster

Couple of suggestions:

1.  What's up with the HDMI inputs on the back of the X1 not being selectable?  I plugged in my MacBook, and the HDMI connection was recognized, and supported 8 audio channels, so I thought that would be awesome to use for my other devices, but there is no way to select the inputs!

2.  I agree with others about the fan noise.  I wouldn't mind so much when the box is active, but the fan never shuts off, even after many hours of inactivity.  Should have some kind of timer to shut that thing down when the box is off.

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

I cannot adjust video resolution. No options in dropdown menu. Doesnt seem to handle 1080p 24fps. Picture slows down periodically. How can i adjust video resolution?

Problem Solver

@kevin782 wrote:

I cannot adjust video resolution. No options in dropdown menu. Doesnt seem to handle 1080p 24fps. Picture slows down periodically. How can i adjust video resolution?

Have you tried rebooting the box (by unplugging it and plugging it back in a minute or so later) to see if that might get things into working order?

What is the model of the box that you have?  What Release version as well as STB version and STB timestamp do you have listed on the About screen in Settings?

Frequent Visitor

timestamp: Sat Mar 02 UTC 2013

Version: PX001AN_XC_1.1.2.1.1_PROD_BC_SPDsd

Model:  PC PX001ANM

Problem Solver

@kevin782 wrote:

Interestingly enough you have a slightly older STB update than what is current--in fact that particular update is one of a couple that had an issue with missing video output resolution settings.  It was something that was fixed in the next update that was dated Mar 11.  This specific issue came up in the now locked X1 Forum thread at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/m-p/1638827#M70937

You should try rebooting your box once or twice to see if it will get a new update installed (one that is hopefully dated Mar 11 or later).  If that doesn't do it, I'd say leave the box on (just the box, you can still turn the TV on and off when you want) for one or two days/nights to see if a more recent update gets pushed to it.  You can then try rebooting it again once more, if you still don't see a newer update that is, and perhaps that will do it.

I'm not really sure what's the exact update process when a box with an older update gets first connected, but hopefully it'll get the latest within a day or two or so.

Frequent Visitor

@C_DM wrote:

@kevin782 wrote:

Interestingly enough you have a slightly older STB update than what is current--in fact that particular update is one of a couple that had an issue with missing video output resolution settings.  It was something that was fixed in the next update that was dated Mar 11.  This specific issue came up in the now locked X1 Forum thread at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/m-p/1638827#M70937

You should try rebooting your box once or twice to see if it will get a new update installed (one that is hopefully dated Mar 11 or later).  If that doesn't do it, I'd say leave the box on (just the box, you can still turn the TV on and off when you want) for one or two days/nights to see if a more recent update gets pushed to it.  You can then try rebooting it again once more, if you still don't see a newer update that is, and perhaps that will do it.

I'm not really sure what's the exact update process when a box with an older update gets first connected, but hopefully it'll get the latest within a day or two or so.

Thanks that fixed it. On demand shows wont play tho. 

Regular Contributor

Why does the resolution keep changing to 720P?

Happens every couple of days. Power is constant since the box is plugged into a UPS.
Silver Problem Solver

Are there any reasons to "pair" the XR2 remote to a set top box?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Pairing the remote will have the remote use RF signals, which means the remote does not need line of sight to communicate with the box.
Frequent Visitor

Did anyone else notice that in the user guide the search has more features than are actually on the boxes. There is a sort button and they keyboard looks different. http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/assets/pdfs/X1Platform_UserGuide.pdf. Page 7

I don't know if I just didn't get an update (my current update has a timestamp of 4/12) on all four boxes or I have an older X1 box but I'm kind of upset. Also on http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1 the box has a blue light on it. Is there a newer box already and if so where do I get it and when did it start

Regular Contributor

I do like that blue light.

Regular Contributor

@Ncad0220 wrote:
Did anyone else notice that in the user guide the search has more features than are actually on the boxes. There is a sort button and they keyboard looks different. http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/assets/pdfs/X1Platform_UserGuide.pdf. Page 7

I don't know if I just didn't get an update (my current update has a timestamp of 4/12) on all four boxes or I have an older X1 box but I'm kind of upset. Also on http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1 the box has a blue light on it. Is there a newer box already and if so where do I get it and when did it start

Hi Ncad0220 - Do you have the XR2 remote (It should have "XR2" on the back, and also it has the A,B,C,D buttons on the front)? This remote will allow you to bring up the keyboard or sort feature while using Search.  

The boxes may have a blue or green light (depending when you received the box), but the UI should be consistent across the platform (some boxes may not have a DVR). 

Frequent Visitor

Why is the Audio Code for the LG.  I ahve a bluray amplifier combo unit that controls the sound.  i can get teh xr2 to power the tv on and off, but LG is not listed in the audio codes.

i see "Remote code is 31293" on acouple other threads on the site, but it does not work for this unit - LG  LHB976

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

Good Morning,

It appears that Comcast has two X1 DVR boxes - one with green power button and another one with blue. Does anyone know if there are any other differences between them besides the power button color?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

@marcins78 wrote:

Good Morning,

It appears that Comcast has two X1 DVR boxes - one with green power button and another one with blue. Does anyone know if there are any other differences between them besides the power button color?

Thank you

Thanks for your question, marcins78. 

The color rings are not indicative of version (new or old), and have varied slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. We are standardizing on the blue color as a marketing preference, and are working with all of our suppliers to match this color in future production runs of the existing set-top boxes.

Frequent Visitor

@C_DM wrote:

@kevin782 wrote:

My new box took about 6 days to update to the latest version once I first plugged it in.  My guess is they push updates only during certain times/days. 

Frequent Visitor

@marcins78 wrote:

Good Morning,

Thank you

I think there might be a difference in the HD size.  Mine has a 500gb HD but this document claims a 1TB hd.  Could be a typo though:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/xdvr/48760-External-DVR-Launched-Mar...

Regular Contributor

@GoodOmens wrote:

@marcins78 wrote:

Good Morning,

Thank you

I think there might be a difference in the HD size.  Mine has a 500gb HD but this document claims a 1TB hd.  Could be a typo though:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/xdvr/48760-External-DVR-Launched-Mar...

Hi GoodOmens - The color rings are not indicative of version (new or old), and have varied slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. We are standardizing on the blue color as a marketing preference, and are working with all of our suppliers to match this color in future production runs of the existing set-top boxes.

the X1 DVR boxes can currently store 60 hours HD or 200 hours SD. The PDF is being updated to reflect the correct storage information.  

Regular Contributor

XR5 Remote now available at the Comcast Store!

XR5 Remote Now Available

The XR5 is Comcast's newest remote, it was designed to improve the XFINITY TV viewing experience and is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1. This premium remote control is ergonomically designed to be easier to handle and feel better in your hand, putting the buttons you use most often within easy reach.

Features:

• 3-second Amber Backlight
  • Uses 2-AA Batteries (included)
  • Supports both IR and RF* modes.
  • TV IR Control Database - TV Power, Volume, Mute
  • Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute

To learn more about the XR5 remote or order it from the Comcast Accessory Store, click here.

New Poster

Re: XR5 Remote now available at the Comcast Store!

What are the specific differences between this and the XR2?  Is it just the backlight?

Does the power button work correctly while pair'ed with this?

Does this have a way to change inputs on a receiver?

Regular Contributor

The back may be more ergonomic. But the front looks the same as the XR2. The transport, channel and volume controls are still awkwardly at the top. Move the A B C D out of the way.
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

The XR5 is Comcast's newest remote, it was designed to improve the XFINITY TV viewing experience and is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1. This premium remote control is ergonomically designed to be easier to handle and feel better in your hand, putting the buttons you use most often within easy reach.

Features:

• 3-second Amber Backlight
  • Uses 2-AA Batteries (included)
  • Supports both IR and RF* modes.
  • TV IR Control Database - TV Power, Volume, Mute
  • Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute

To learn more about the XR5 remote or order it from the Comcast Accessory Store, click here.

Do you have a link to the XR5 User Manual? I'm interested in the AVR feature.  Is it going to be available in my local Comcast Store?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

@captainvideojw wrote:
The back may be more ergonomic. But the front looks the same as the XR2. The transport, channel and volume controls are still awkwardly at the top. Move the A B C D out of the way.

I rarely, if ever use the channel up/down button.  I mostly use the arrow keys and page up/down buttons. 

The volume I can understand but again - I typically set it once and I'm done with it.

Regular Contributor

Kara-

Please post more details on what is different between the two.  It will help us to know if we should be swapping these out.

Is this a free exchange?  Do I get the $5 fee charged to me if I swap the remote at the local office?

Thanks

New Poster

Hey guys,
I got the new X1 box yesterday, and generally liked it. But, as I wa in the setting I changed my picture quality to 1080p30 HD and all of sudden I cannot see a picture anymore! The screen is snowy, but I can still hear the TV, and change channels. Do I need a new box? How did this happen? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? Thanks guys! I tried resetting the box with Comcast and by myself and it didn't work. I find it strafe how you can't just reset the box (including picture quality) to factory default settings.
Regular Contributor

Needs input button, or no interest whatsoever. 

Silver Problem Solver

Did you try setting it to 1080px60?

Regular Contributor

I think it's stuck on an unsupported resolution on his TV. Unhook the HDMI cabke, and try connecting a composite video cable to your TV and see if you can change the setting.

If not, call Xfinity Support
Frequent Visitor

i posted thsi a week or so ago with no response

Why is the Audio Code for the LG.  I ahve a bluray amplifier combo unit that controls the sound.  i can get teh xr2 to power the tv on and off, but LG is not listed in the audio codes.

i see "Remote code is 31293" on acouple other threads on the site, but it does not work for this unit - LG  LHB976

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Did you try the code search on here?
http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/
Frequent Visitor

i did.  LG is not on the list of Audio devices for the X2.  Im hoping there is one they ahve that jsut hasnt been published to the main site yet

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Resolution 720

Ive seen a couple of folks as about the box switching to 720p and stereo sound, but havent seen if there is an update or known bug that will be addressed.  Im seeing this as well (my tv and audio equipment more than support all of this.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@LoveToChase wrote:

Ive seen a couple of folks as about the box switching to 720p and stereo sound, but havent seen if there is an update or known bug that will be addressed.  Im seeing this as well (my tv and audio equipment more than support all of this.

Thanks!

Yep I have 2 issues with audio myself.

My Denon receiver switches from Surround sound to Strereo for some unkown reason. And I also still get random sound cutoffs for a split second.

The Surround sound to Strereo switching issue only happens with HDMI and not optical cable however.

I really should try another X1 box and see if my current X1 box really is faulty.

Would love to know if this issue affects a lot of people or just a few.

Other then these 2 audio issues my X1 DVR box has been pretty much working fantastic the last 3 or so weeks! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I'm not having audio issues with my Yamaha AVR via HDMI. But I do have the problems with the video switching to 720P.
New Poster

I was playing with the settings and changed the resolution to 1080P and now my TV gives me NO SIGNAL. Is there any way to set it back to 720P since now I can't see anything on the screen? I tried a power cycle and the Xfinity Logo comes up but when the boot finishes I have No Signal again.

Regular Contributor

Unhook the HDMI cabke, and try connecting a composite video cable to your TV and see if you can change the setting.

If not, call Xfinity Support
(877) 896-8678
New Poster

Found this in another thread. works like a charm! and sooo much easier than on the old remotes...30 second skip!!!

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".

then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. 

Regular Contributor

I think I found a New Bug!

"Auto Tune to HD" Is not working on some channels!

Like for example Channel Fox 15 and CBS 03 just to name a few.

I don't remember this happening before so it must have just started with one of the recent software updates.

I am in Philly.

Frequent Visitor

I do have the xr2. I can bring up the keyboard, it just looks more simplistic than the one in the user guide. I also can't filter the results like the user guide says you can. All 4 boxes have the same update from April (which seems kind of old) but have current features(like 5 tuners) is this just a preview of a future update, do they already have newer models, or did they just spruce it up for the user guide.
Frequent Visitor

Also I have a problem with the x1s in a certain room of my house. The box in this room would need to be reset every day to be used, because when the tv is turned on it would just display the channel logo full screen. Ever other feature would work except video playback. It wouldn't play one demand and when I changed the channel it would play for about 1/2 a second then display the channel logo. Once I did a complete reboot it worked fine until the next day. I put a new cable line in from a new location with a new splitter closer to the booster. I then switched the box out for the best working one in the house. I even switched out the tv and hdmi cable. I used the new box for a few days before I reprogrammed the settings and dvr series recording list, but after day one is had the same problem. I have absolutely no clue what makes it do this. The old box now works perfectly fine In its new location. It's very odd.
I love these boxes so much, but an update for the iPhone app that makes it easier to switch the box your controlling. Also if the administrators could post when new updates come out for the box, their version, timestamp and what they do

Thanks
Regular Contributor

Sounds like you need a truck roll.
New Poster

How do I get it??

How do I get the X1 Box?? I live in NJ and think it looks incredible!

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do I get it??

@crazey4wwe wrote:

How do I get the X1 Box?? I live in NJ and think it looks incredible!

Just call Comcast and ask. That's what I did in Houston, Texas.

New Poster

Re: How do I get it??

i hear its got a low inventory in NJ...u can ask for it but it may be delayed/hard to get. im in NJ as well