Community Forum

X1 Remote Freezes

Contributor

X1 Remote Freezes

On several occasions my X1 remote has frozen. The green light is on and the remote does not respond to any button presses. The X1 box does not respond. For example bringing up the guide, the remote freezes, the guide will not go away regardless of what is pressed on the remote.

Removing the batteries in the remote and reinstalling will allow the remote to begin working. Thus the problem is indeed with the remote. There is a problem in the firmware where the remote gets into a state of non-operation with the green transmit light activated. 

Unfortunately this is typical of Comcast firmware as evidenced by problems in the X1 box, the guide, and freezes in the X1 box. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Remote Freezes

@raythompson wrote:

On several occasions my X1 remote has frozen. The green light is on and the remote does not respond to any button presses. The X1 box does not respond. For example bringing up the guide, the remote freezes, the guide will not go away regardless of what is pressed on the remote.

Removing the batteries in the remote and reinstalling will allow the remote to begin working. Thus the problem is indeed with the remote. There is a problem in the firmware where the remote gets into a state of non-operation with the green transmit light activated. 

Unfortunately this is typical of Comcast firmware as evidenced by problems in the X1 box, the guide, and freezes in the X1 box. 

Is it possible to try brand-new unused batteries?  (I only use Lithium batteries)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like the remote is defective. Comcast service centers give away remotes for free.

Suggest that you stop in and pick up a new remote.
Contributor

Second remote that I have used. First one did the same thing so I got a replacement. I suspect it is some combination of keys that I am fat fingering and putting the firmware into some unknown state or condition. I know that Comcast just gives them to you if you walk in and ask. I may just go for a third attempt at a remote next time I am close to the store. Not worth the effort to make a special trip.
Gold Problem Solver

Actually,

If two remotes are doing the same thing it is extremely improbable that the remote is the problem.

X1 boxes use a cloud based guide which has proven to be extremely signal sensitive. Sluggish responses to the remote are often poor incoming or outgoing signal related.

STRONGLY suggest that you have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.