Community Forum

X1 Remote Eating Batteries

New Poster

X1 Remote Eating Batteries

X1 Remote burns up battery life. Have gone through 2 batteries per month. Single user, no children.

Why can't remote be put on a recharging base? Duh.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Remote Eating Batteries

Your remote is defective. Comcast service centers replace remotes for free.
New Poster

Clarification: Tech support has no knowledge of any remotes being defective.

The 'old' X1 remote should be replaced with the new X1 remote that has the voice feature.

FYI: My suggestion of providing a remote that can be put on a charging base has been passed to Xfinity and will be addressed in a meeting. Stay tuned

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast will NEVER provide a remote control with rechargeable batteries and a charging base, at least not for free. It's too expensive for them.

That being said, I am not a fan of ANY of the X1 remotes. All three of my AV systems that have X1 boxes are controlled by Harmony 900 remotes that I programmed myself. The Harmony 900 (discontinued but easy to find) is LIGHT YEARS more capable than any of the X1 remotes....

mrsherb43 wrote:

The 'old' X1 remote should be replaced with the new X1 remote that has the voice feature.

FYI: My suggestion of providing a remote that can be put on a charging base has been passed to Xfinity and will be addressed in a meeting. Stay tuned

New Poster

The comcast remotes burn through batteries because they activate and then listen to non-tv sounds when it detects specific decibel levels and frequencies(such as a human's voice). IF voice command is deactivated, the batteries last a long time.

Gold Problem Solver

The voice command feature in the XR11 remote does not activate unless the microphone button is being pressed.

I think it is fairly well documented in this forum that when the XR11 remote has poor battery life the remote is defective and should be replaced.

I have at least 10 XR11 remotes in my house and none of them have poor battery life.
Regular Contributor

mrsherb43 wrote:

X1 Remote burns up battery life. Have gone through 2 batteries per month. Single user, no children.

I was replacing batteries in mine every week. Called Comcast and they sent one in the mail. Works fine. They charged me $6 on the next bill and I called and complained and they wiped out the fee. So I got the remote for free

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast service centers replace remotes for free...

skintime wrote:

mrsherb43 wrote:

I was replacing batteries in mine every week. Called Comcast and they sent one in the mail. Works fine. They charged me $6 on the next bill and I called and complained and they wiped out the fee. So I got the remote for free

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast service centers replace remotes for free...

skintime wrote:

mrsherb43 wrote:

Closest service center to me is 45 minutes away. I'd rather get it in the mail

New Poster

RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast will NEVER provide a remote control with rechargeable batteries and a charging base, at least not for free. It's too expensive for them.

That being said, I am not a fan of ANY of the X1 remotes. All three of my AV systems that have X1 boxes are controlled by Harmony 900 remotes that I programmed myself. The Harmony 900 (discontinued but easy to find) is LIGHT YEARS more capable than any of the X1 remotes....

mrsherb43 wrote:

does this Harmoney 9000 remote have the voice control?

New Poster

RickGr4 wrote:
The voice command feature in the XR11 remote does not activate unless the microphone button is being pressed.

I think it is fairly well documented in this forum that when the XR11 remote has poor battery life the remote is defective and should be replaced.

I have at least 10 XR11 remotes in my house and none of them have poor battery life.

I plan soon to add more TV's so I am wonering if many X1 main boxes on just one incoming cable will affect the quality of the TV and computer wifi device signal, I may  actually add 2 more main X1 boxes to give us more channels to record. 

Expert

Yorgos41 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

mrsherb43 wrote:

does this Harmoney 9000 remote have the voice control?

Xfinity X1 voice in home is connected by RF from the remote only. to date no IR connection to the voice has been available. you can use the Xfinity tV remote smart device app to use voice commands.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Yorgos41 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

I plan soon to add more TV's so I am wonering if many X1 main boxes on just one incoming cable will affect the quality of the TV and computer wifi device signal, I may  actually add 2 more main X1 boxes to give us more channels to record. 

The X1 system is whole home. you can add DTAs to give limited basic channels and no on-demand or premium movie channels that may be in your subscription. All X1 set top boxes will see all recordings on all DVRs in the home. many of us have 3 DVRs not sure if more will work. Could you give your current model numbers and what you plan to add (outlets for full x1 subscriptions)? then anyone can give their advice on what you could use to meet your needs.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I have four remotes - 2 for tv’s barely used. They ALL need new batteries every 2 weeks whether used or not! I’m buying batteries at COSTCO just to keep up.
Doubt it all 4 are “defective “.
New Poster

I’m willing to try anything. Whatever $ I’m saving by having Xfinity, I’m spending on batteries.
Silver Problem Solver

@jcavazosca wrote:
I’m willing to try anything. Whatever $ I’m saving by having Xfinity, I’m spending on batteries.

I use this battery:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-AA-Batteries-AA-Lithium-Li-12-Pack/139060065?w...

Regular Visitor

Going through two batties per month is a sgin of a defective remote? 

Silver Problem Solver

@Billygx wrote:

Going through two batties per month is a sgin of a defective remote? 

I don't use that many batteries in either my XR11 or XR15.  If you are close enough to an Xfinity Store, they will give you a free remote; you might try the model you don't have, assuming they have them in stock.  But I still recommend lithium batteries for longer life.

Regular Contributor

I change batteries every 2 or 3 weeks on mine. I use the dollar store ones and I think that has something to do with it.  When I first got the new remote they had duracells and they lasted a couple months, the cheap ones only last a few weeks. I give my remotes a workout so I assume that is going to be the way it is. The dollars store ones are so much cheaper that I can live with it because the X1 is so awesome.

New Poster

Do not complicate your life.  They are telling you that your remote is defective,

BELIEVE IT!  For some things might be good to have rechargeable, but a person would have to get a charger, a place to keep etc.  Your remote batteries should at least last a year!

Expert

batteries in ours (duracell from samsclub) last about 3-4 months. i take the 50% level ones and use them until the remote dies on my set top box. wife likes having working remotes that don't die Smiley Happy

New Poster

I would rather have one that has a base to be recharged as well. I'd just get a second remote and always have one charging while the other is being used. Simple, and I'm sure in the long run cheaper to buy the second remote AND the charger than all the batteries I go through. My remote is only used heavily every other weekend and it is completely dead when we go to use it on that weekend every single time. It would be one thing if the remote was being used constantly for the whole 2 weeks but we rarely use it, if at all! I plan on getting to a service center to replace it, but it's a bit of a drive from me and I usually work later than 5, which is the time they close. Eventually.
Silver Problem Solver

@Deetzy wrote:
I would rather have one that has a base to be recharged as well. I'd just get a second remote and always have one charging while the other is being used. Simple, and I'm sure in the long run cheaper to buy the second remote AND the charger than all the batteries I go through. My remote is only used heavily every other weekend and it is completely dead when we go to use it on that weekend every single time. It would be one thing if the remote was being used constantly for the whole 2 weeks but we rarely use it, if at all! I plan on getting to a service center to replace it, but it's a bit of a drive from me and I usually work later than 5, which is the time they close. Eventually.

Logitech has some Xfinity X1 remotes.

New Poster

I am baffled by the many people saying "remote eating batteries".  I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.  So, I'm a single user.  I use the remote constantly to see what is in the other channel or to Guide and go through the listings, etc. Once in a while I have used the microphone, but rarely.  I have used it also to set a recording.

Having said that, is my remote different from yours?  I have Digital Starter and the remote they gave me.

The next BIG QUESTION IS:  When the screen tells you that battery is low, that you have to change batteries, DO YOU CHANGE THEM?  If you do, THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.

After that notification the batteries continue to work for months!!!  I ONLY CHANGE THEM WHEN THEY DON'T WORK.  I just changed mine 9/2018, Duracell, I'll keep record for the future.

A little side information:  Prior to the above, I tried brand new Energizer lithium and immediately got the message "batteries low, need to change them".  In that case, I did change them immediately and replace them with new ones (as above) because I knew that they would have lasted just few months!  I hope this helps everyone.