Community Forum

X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Frequent Visitor

X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Hello. I've been on this new X1 platform for 4 months now. Recently, I noticed the main DVR box has been making an extremely loud and annoying buzzing sound. It wakes me up in the middle of the night because it's so loud. I have powered off the box and it still happens. The only way to kill the sound is to literally pull the plug from the wall. It's annoying. It's also kind of hard to record shows with the box unplugged from the wall. Heh. As my bedroom is the main tv room, I have opted to have my box in there as it has all the apps. The old Motorola DVR boxes were never this loud - ever. It seems I'm not alone in this issue as it's been posted on several forums. No one seems to have a fix. Has anyone found a way to dampen this sound at least? 

Contributor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I believe it is the fan, quite loud.  Mine is the same way, can really hear it most of the time, annoying.  It quiets down at times, but then comes back on.  Not sure how to fix it though, just was told to deal with it when I called about it.

Official Employee

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Get it swapped
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

People have mentioned switching them out but sya the sound returns with the new boxes. I think it's the boxes and wish Comcast would have done more research on it before pulling the trigger and giving them to customers. I like the features of the nex X1, but there has to be better boxes. Eh.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

In my experience when then X1 box's fan is running loud that is because it is in a "self protect" mode. It doesn't like something that is going on around it. It could be having issues with signal levels. I think it needs to be swapped as Andrew said (he would know) but I think you need your signal levels checked as well.

 

The fan in my X1 box never runs except when it is booting up.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I'll call Comcast and see what they have to say then. I'll report back here with my findings. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Comcast is due out to my apartment on 2/15(Saturday). They are supposed to check out the X1 box and also my signal levels. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Comcast came out and was there for 2 hours. The tech found that my signal level was fine except to the modem. He said my upstream was a little bit higher than normal so he was able to get that fixed. The line going to my X1 box was normal levels he said though. he eneded up swapping out both of my X1 boxes. So far there hasn't been any noise coming out of the new box. He said he can't gurantee that will fix the issue, but it's worth a shot I suppose. 

 

Thank you for the insight. Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Sounds like good news...!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I called about this because it is very bothersome.   The Phone agent didn't really understand the problem but told me he would send a tech.  When the tech got here, he said that meant it was working normally and there would be a charge for him to look at it.  Since the CSA on the phne said nothing of this so called charge, I had nothing done.  The box usually works good but is cnstantly (day and night) buzzing.

 

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

My box was extremely loud/buzzing. They had a tech come out and gave me a new X1 box. There was no cost to me.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Hmmmm,

I think I would have had the box swapped and then argued about the charges after the fact, if any charges actually appeared on my bill.


s3006 wrote:

I called about this because it is very bothersome.   The Phone agent didn't really understand the problem but told me he would send a tech.  When the tech got here, he said that meant it was working normally and there would be a charge for him to look at it.  Since the CSA on the phne said nothing of this so called charge, I had nothing done.  The box usually works good but is cnstantly (day and night) buzzing.

 





Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I WAS TOLD ,ALL THE BOXES DO THE NOISE ,ITS THE FAN MOTOR ,I WISH ALL OF US COULD EMAIL THEM ,THAT WAY WHEN THEY GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS ,MAYBE THEY COULD GET BETTER MANUFACTOR TO BUILD THE BOXES ,CAN,T EVEN SIT IN ROOM ,ITS SO LOUD, HAVE TO USE STEREO WHEN WATCHING TV,SO IT OVER POWERS THE BOX ,IT SUCKS ,OTHER WISE I LIKE THE XI,SYSTEM

Expert

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound


gfp wrote:

I WAS TOLD ,ALL THE BOXES DO THE NOISE ,ITS THE FAN MOTOR ,I WISH ALL OF US COULD EMAIL THEM ,THAT WAY WHEN THEY GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS ,MAYBE THEY COULD GET BETTER MANUFACTOR TO BUILD THE BOXES ,CAN,T EVEN SIT IN ROOM ,ITS SO LOUD, HAVE TO USE STEREO WHEN WATCHING TV,SO IT OVER POWERS THE BOX ,IT SUCKS ,OTHER WISE I LIKE THE XI,SYSTEM


the x1 equipment should not be noisy (I have 3 pace DVRs zero noise. Examined one of the bluies and it has no fan at any entrance 'hole'. Mine is only 'audible' when doing a power-unplugged reboot and then only for maybe 2 seconds.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I have two X1 DVR's and two RNG150 companions.  None of them are loud.  Be persistent and make Comcast replace yours with ones that don't make a noise.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

The Arris built X1 DVR (XG1-A with a blue power light) is dead silent.


gfp wrote:

I WAS TOLD ,ALL THE BOXES DO THE NOISE ,ITS THE FAN MOTOR ,I WISH ALL OF US COULD EMAIL THEM ,THAT WAY WHEN THEY GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS ,MAYBE THEY COULD GET BETTER MANUFACTOR TO BUILD THE BOXES ,CAN,T EVEN SIT IN ROOM ,ITS SO LOUD, HAVE TO USE STEREO WHEN WATCHING TV,SO IT OVER POWERS THE BOX ,IT SUCKS ,OTHER WISE I LIKE THE XI,SYSTEM


 

New Poster

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

I also am having the same issue and aggravated that the 8 times I have called this past week I am unable to get my call(s) answered due to "high call volumes". It was easy to get in contact with someone  when I wanted to upgrade, now that I did I cannot reach anyone.

 

The cable box in the bedroom is fine, but yes as many have stated above it is the coolng fan and is EXTREMELY loud and runs constantly. We can hear it all the way down the hall at night and even over the 3 fans we have going.

 

Any tips on actually getting in touch with a rep to resolve the issue?!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound


ChapmanFamily wrote:

I also am having the same issue and aggravated that the 8 times I have called this past week I am unable to get my call(s) answered due to "high call volumes". It was easy to get in contact with someone  when I wanted to upgrade, now that I did I cannot reach anyone.

 

The cable box in the bedroom is fine, but yes as many have stated above it is the coolng fan and is EXTREMELY loud and runs constantly. We can hear it all the way down the hall at night and even over the 3 fans we have going.

 

Any tips on actually getting in touch with a rep to resolve the issue?!


Send a PM to ComcastNeal, ComcastNickM or ComcastBrandonM... explain the times you have tried and your issue and they will get you fixed up!!!!

 

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

My set top box didn't start making the fan noise until it had been running for a few days.  I'm an Engineer and went into troubleshooting mode.  I notice that while the box is well perforated for convective cooling, there isn't much clearance around the bottom for proper air movement.  I surmise that if the box isn't cooling effectively with convection, the fan comes on to assist in cooling the hot spots.  I also noticed that the box had never been cleaned inside from its last deployment (heavy layer of lint on all surfaces).  I cut some 1.5" cubes of wood, grabbed a can of air and my vacuum cleaner.  NOTE: My box is not sitting on any other component and there are no components sitting on it.  I elevated the box on the blocks and turned on the vacuum (all while powered on and the fan raging).  I took the can of air and lightly blew inside the box with the vacuum nozzel downwind to catch the debris.  The fan shut off and has not come back on.  I did notice that the shelf surface under the box at the cable input was very warm when I lifted the box.  This warm surface would radiate (recycle) heat back to the hot spot in a run away condition until the fan comes on.  I also submit that either the fan is not sufficient for the task or the fan does not properly route the cool air to the hot spots to drive the hot spot below the threshold so once the threshold has tripped the fan-on condition, it can't move enough air to drive the hot spot surface below the "on" threshold to turn the fan off (there is usually a temp span for fan-on to fan-off).

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

When X1 DVRs are working properly they are silent.

Others have mentioned loud fans in the past and replacing the boxes always always has solved the problem.



jumppnjoe wrote:

My set top box didn't start making the fan noise until it had been running for a few days.  I'm an Engineer and went into troubleshooting mode.  I notice that while the box is well perforated for convective cooling, there isn't much clearance around the bottom for proper air movement.  I surmise that if the box isn't cooling effectively with convection, the fan comes on to assist in cooling the hot spots.  I also noticed that the box had never been cleaned inside from its last deployment (heavy layer of lint on all surfaces).  I cut some 1.5" cubes of wood, grabbed a can of air and my vacuum cleaner.  NOTE: My box is not sitting on any other component and there are no components sitting on it.  I elevated the box on the blocks and turned on the vacuum (all while powered on and the fan raging).  I took the can of air and lightly blew inside the box with the vacuum nozzel downwind to catch the debris.  The fan shut off and has not come back on.  I did notice that the shelf surface under the box at the cable input was very warm when I lifted the box.  This warm surface would radiate (recycle) heat back to the hot spot in a run away condition until the fan comes on.  I also submit that either the fan is not sufficient for the task or the fan does not properly route the cool air to the hot spots to drive the hot spot below the threshold so once the threshold has tripped the fan-on condition, it can't move enough air to drive the hot spot surface below the "on" threshold to turn the fan off (there is usually a temp span for fan-on to fan-off).


 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform constant extremely LOUD buzzing sound

Topic now Closed.