Community Forum

X1 – On Demand

Problem Solver

X1 – On Demand

This thread is specifically focused on X1 – On Demand questions, suggestions or issues.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: X1 – On Demand

post by nilknarf2 moved to the appropriate forum.

New Poster

Hello,

I have a question regarding On Demand on my X1 box. When browsing any On Demand content, the availability is always listed as "Coming Soon". When any item is selected details about that item are displayed, but there are no options to play content.

This may be related to another issue I'm having, in which online services (such as the phone App, or the Comcast Website) don't recognize that I have a DVR box. I have a feeling my box is somehow not "registering" with the appropriate systems to allow access to these services.

Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I forgot to mention, I've had the service since October and it has been this way since I've had the box.

Regular Contributor

Xaaltriolith wrote:

Hello,

I have a question regarding On Demand on my X1 box. When browsing any On Demand content, the availability is always listed as "Coming Soon". When any item is selected details about that item are displayed, but there are no options to play content.

This may be related to another issue I'm having, in which online services (such as the phone App, or the Comcast Website) don't recognize that I have a DVR box. I have a feeling my box is somehow not "registering" with the appropriate systems to allow access to these services.

Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I forgot to mention, I've had the service since October and it has been this way since I've had the box.

Hi Xaaltriolith - I am going to send you a PM to gather some account information in order to troubleshoot. There may be an issue with your entitlements. 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Feature request:

• Have us bookmark movies we want to watch in the future!
Regular Contributor

FredNation wrote:

Feature request:

• Have us bookmark movies we want to watch in the future!

Thanks, FredNation. Bookmarks are being considered for a future enhancement. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I just got the x1 yesterday installed. I keep getting error 22 while attempting to watch anything from the On-Demand section. 

Problem Solver

8ja8j156 wrote:

I just got the x1 yesterday installed. I keep getting error 22 while attempting to watch anything from the On-Demand section. 

Had the same thing happen yesterday and even part of today, but it seems like VOD is back in working order now.  I've heard something that there might have been some sort of localized issue in a market (or a few markets), and it sounds like it's probably been addressed (hopefully for everyone).

Regular Contributor

8ja8j156 wrote:

Sorry the inconvenience, 8ja8j156. We had some issues with XOD for a periond on Saturday afternoon. If you still cannot access on demand, please feel free to send me a PM with your account information and I can help you trouble shoot. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you for your response to my questions

Frequent Visitor

When i go to play on demand programs they either dont play or freeze after 2 seconds on x1 box. Also my pay channels are not coming in. Just got x1 yesterday. Please help.

Regular Contributor

kevin782 wrote:

When i go to play on demand programs they either dont play or freeze after 2 seconds on x1 box. Also my pay channels are not coming in. Just got x1 yesterday. Please help.

Kevin782 - I just sent you a PM to gather some account details. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

On Demand and premium channels still dont work.

Frequent Visitor

On demand is fixed. Called and they sent signal that did the trick. 

New Poster

I just installed my x1 DVR on Wednesay and everytime I want to watch on demand I have to reboot the box. I continually get error 22. Spoke with advanced technical support and they assured me that a UDB hit would resolve the issue because it was an entitlement issue.  I am still having the same problem!

Regular Contributor

ktraun000 wrote:

I just installed my x1 DVR on Wednesay and everytime I want to watch on demand I have to reboot the box. I continually get error 22. Spoke with advanced technical support and they assured me that a UDB hit would resolve the issue because it was an entitlement issue.  I am still having the same problem!

Ktraun000 - Sorry you are having this issue. I am going to send you a PM to gather account details so our support team can trouble shoot your box. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I just got my X1 installed today, and have a few suggestions:

I would like to request re-introduction to some of the organization of options in the On Demand listings, which do not now exist in X1. For example, in the old system you could look up movies by category ("Free", "Premium Channel- Channel" ) and *then* get genres. Now if you choose Genres you get movies from ALL of the channels, pay and free, and there is no way to filter except by New or not.

OR to be able to Search within a category (within a Channel, within a Genre) rather than Search through everything. By the time I scroll through all the options, I'm too tired to watch anything. If you can't do that, then give more filters so that it allows us to do a more effective Search (ie by cost, by genre, soon to be unavailable..)

I particularly liked to be able to view each channel (or even just all channels by subscription?) and then go by Genre. I also found it useful to have "Early Premieres" in the one or two Premium Channels that were available. The current version requires scrolling endlessly through many films, and somehow the info seems smaller and more difficult to read. It has also long been annoying that the "pop-up" telling you something abt the movie/tv show doesn't tell you nearly enough.

I suspect the "more like this" feature is meant to replace the Genres. I have found that what they consider "like" is very odd. (I was looking at a description for an Action flick and got "More like this" suggestions that included two kids animated features, a romance, and a documentary.)

I didn't get this new set because I was intrigued by the new technology, I got it because I got a new deal. I'm hoping I'll like the features, but if accessing everything takes more time and effort, I'm wondering if I should hang on to my old set top box.

Regular Visitor

On Demand through the X1 takes so much more effort than the old system.  Makes me want to switch back to the old system - at the end of the day the idea of any sort of menu should be to help you quickly find what you are looking for. Think of a restaurant: if they used the logic of the X1 developers, everything including appetizers, entrees, desserts, sandwiches, specials, and beverages would just be in one long list with the ability to sort them alphabetically (Coca Cola next to Coq au Vin..really?) or by popularity.

I used to use premium On Demand to look for their new releases/just in as I prefer not to pay for movies. Now I have to go into the other room, see whats new, then seach for it alphabetically on the X1.  Rather exhausting - I would rather just see what's on live TV now.

Regular Contributor

NewtoX1 wrote:

I just got my X1 installed today, and have a few suggestions:

I would like to request re-introduction to some of the organization of options in the On Demand listings, which do not now exist in X1. For example, in the old system you could look up movies by category ("Free", "Premium Channel- Channel" ) and *then* get genres. Now if you choose Genres you get movies from ALL of the channels, pay and free, and there is no way to filter except by New or not.

OR to be able to Search within a category (within a Channel, within a Genre) rather than Search through everything. By the time I scroll through all the options, I'm too tired to watch anything. If you can't do that, then give more filters so that it allows us to do a more effective Search (ie by cost, by genre, soon to be unavailable..)

I particularly liked to be able to view each channel (or even just all channels by subscription?) and then go by Genre. I also found it useful to have "Early Premieres" in the one or two Premium Channels that were available. The current version requires scrolling endlessly through many films, and somehow the info seems smaller and more difficult to read. It has also long been annoying that the "pop-up" telling you something abt the movie/tv show doesn't tell you nearly enough.

I suspect the "more like this" feature is meant to replace the Genres. I have found that what they consider "like" is very odd. (I was looking at a description for an Action flick and got "More like this" suggestions that included two kids animated features, a romance, and a documentary.)

I didn't get this new set because I was intrigued by the new technology, I got it because I got a new deal. I'm hoping I'll like the features, but if accessing everything takes more time and effort, I'm wondering if I should hang on to my old set top box.

thanks for your comments, NewToX1! I've shared your feedback with our product management organization. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

PaulHikes2 wrote:

On Demand through the X1 takes so much more effort than the old system.  Makes me want to switch back to the old system - at the end of the day the idea of any sort of menu should be to help you quickly find what you are looking for. Think of a restaurant: if they used the logic of the X1 developers, everything including appetizers, entrees, desserts, sandwiches, specials, and beverages would just be in one long list with the ability to sort them alphabetically (Coca Cola next to Coq au Vin..really?) or by popularity.

I used to use premium On Demand to look for their new releases/just in as I prefer not to pay for movies. Now I have to go into the other room, see whats new, then seach for it alphabetically on the X1.  Rather exhausting - I would rather just see what's on live TV now.

PaulHikes2 - Thank you for your feedback. I shared your comments regarding the layout of the On Demand menus with the product management team. Feedback like this is very helpful for the X1 organization, as we continue to refine the user interface. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Anyone else having issues with VOD?. Just got this on Monday -- the total home dvr which was not my choice but that's what the tech brought. The VOD does not work, the play option does not appear. X1 support is aware but can offer no idea on when it might be repaired. They say its a known issue but have no fix.
Regular Contributor

DLBTL wrote:
Anyone else having issues with VOD?. Just got this on Monday -- the total home dvr which was not my choice but that's what the tech brought. The VOD does not work, the play option does not appear. X1 support is aware but can offer no idea on when it might be repaired. They say its a known issue but have no fix.

VOD working OK here.  I wonder what the "known issue" is?  Never read about it on these forums.

I don't trust anything I am told when I call in - especially about the X1; it seems like Comcast people have very incomplete information about these boxes and I get different stories every time I have to call about any issue.  Very frustrating.  My wife says it is "typical Corporate America" focusing on revenue while implementation takes a back seat.

Silver Problem Solver

screenname137 wrote:

DLBTL wrote:

VOD working OK here.  I wonder what the "known issue" is?  Never read about it on these forums.

I don't trust anything I am told when I call in - especially about the X1; it seems like Comcast people have very incomplete information about these boxes and I get different stories every time I have to call about any issue.  Very frustrating.  My wife says it is "typical Corporate America" focusing on revenue while implementation takes a back seat.

My guess is that 800-comcast gets you a different CSR each time you call and they don't all have the correct information.  And I heard from an installer that everyone is being trained and the new X1 equipment is being tested at the same time.  The installer said he would not install the new gateway box until he had a chance to test it first.  But he said some other installers are installing the new equipment without even knowing everything it took to get it working.

I also heard that there are different installation options depending on the xfinity "region" you are in, which means a CSR may tell you something that is true, not knowing which regioin you are in or not knowing that there are differences between regions.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I called in to the X1 support number and it did not seem like they new any more than a typical rep. There was virtually no hold time, which helps, but as far as getting an answer they just did not have any information. The rep told me he had gotten several calls with the known VOD outage issue but had no details. He wanted to send a refresh signal to my box but I asked him if that had been successful with other customers. He said no, which made me wonder why he would want to do it. I wis there was some consistancy in the message they are giving and am dissapointed to be essentially paying them to be testing a product for them.

Contributor

Just had X1 installed a few hours ago. for some reason all of the movies, including those under the "Just In" tab say they're "Coming Soon" Is this normal for new installs? Does it take a day to get the movies activated?

Frequent Visitor

I've also had my X1 box installed a few hours ago and same issue with on demand. They all say coming soon....
New Poster

I have the same issue. There is no way to play any XOD show. It goes from episode info to series info back to episode info

New Poster

We are having the same issue now after having a DVR box swapped out for a non DVR box because any room DVR finally became available. The on demand is working for the other 2 boxes we have that were original installs from the X1 platform.

Been trying to trouble shoot with customer service who checked the entitlements (after I mentioned they might be an issue while reading this forum while on the phone). They were all red for this new box but she did something that made them green (like the other boxes were already showing). It's been escalated to tier 2 but its super frustrating since we had similar issues with the original install of the X1 that took multiple calls to resolve.

Any suggestions???
New Poster

Just had one of my boxes upgraded to the x1. My ON Demand is not working, Just about anything I try to play says "this program not available".

Was told by comcast tech on phone that it may take up to 24 hrs, he escalated to tier 2 and assured me it should be working by the time they call me back this afternoon. Really? 24hr mark is fast approaching yet nothing...

And please work towards allowing some kind of app market and allow 3rd parties to create apps.

It would be awesome to consolate everything into one box, especially netflix.

New Poster

Patience is key I guess, lol.  It took 24 hrs for my X1 to DL all of the content for OnDemand.  AnyRoom DVR is still down but I hope it comes back today or tomorrow.  Other than that, X1 is awesome, so much better than the old gear!!

Contributor

Yeah, the OnDemand has been working now. Slightly after 24 hours but at least it works. Now if I could figure out why the remote actions are so delayed. 

New Poster

My technician told me the "lagginess" will take a while to get used to.  He told me to keep in mind X1 is cloud-based and operates similar to a website, at times it will load fast, other days it will be slow.  Small price to pay in my opinion. Hopefully Comcast will release a new box for outlets so we could have X1 throughout the home.  We'll see, for now everything is working "slightly" as advertised.

Contributor

Apparently there is a Level 3 'node outage' affecting all three services in Chicago right now. That is why the guide has been so bad today. I definitely understand *some* delay when operating the menus if it's cloud based but this was like 30 seconds to go down two channels on the guide. pretty bad. Glad there's a reason for it though, outside of just 'deal with it, sorry'

New Poster

I just got the x1 service installed today and all of my xod choices are listed as coming soon and ask me to make another selection when I try to play them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my kids pretty much live for the xod.

Regular Contributor

rampage1209 wrote:

I just got the x1 service installed today and all of my xod choices are listed as coming soon and ask me to make another selection when I try to play them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my kids pretty much live for the xod.

If that persists for more than an hour or so, your box was probably not correctly provisioned or is defective.  We had one box like that where none of our premium channels would play.  We finally had to replace it.  You could try your luck with X1 support at 877-896-8678.  The quality of help there varies greatly depending on who you talk to so if one person is not helpful, try again and hope someone better answers.

Regular Contributor

Castor_Troy wrote:

My technician told me the "lagginess" will take a while to get used to.  He told me to keep in mind X1 is cloud-based and operates similar to a website, at times it will load fast, other days it will be slow.  Small price to pay in my opinion. Hopefully Comcast will release a new box for outlets so we could have X1 throughout the home.  We'll see, for now everything is working "slightly" as advertised.

That's ridiculous - ours is sometimes / most times instantaneous and sometimes so laggy that it appears frozen and anywhere in between - but most times it is very responsive - there's no "cloudiness" nonsense involved.  I think it comes down to cable plant issues with signal dropouts.  At any rate, it is not normal nor acceptable and if they tell you it is, ask for someone else who has a clue.

Frequent Visitor

On demand with the X1 box takes 24 hours to start working. Mine took roughly 26 hours.
New Poster

turns out that 2 of the MACs were transposed. 96 boxes in that shipment were put in wrong. Supposed to be working in a day or so. That was almost 2 days ago. So we will see. As for the lagginess, there should be none whatsoever as long as your internal lines are good and everything is setup correctly. You have to understand that these boxes have docsis 3 internet modems in them as well as a multistream cablecard. That being said if your downstream, upstream, or SNR are not where they need to be, that is when you will get the extreme lagginess. Mine works like a charm. One thing I did notice when I first got them though is that with the remotes working in IR mode, I did have quite a bit of latency controlling the box. If yours is setup to use IR, try switching it over to RF. Just hold setup until the all power light turns green, then release setup and hit the Xfinity button and follow the on screen prompts. 

Contributor

I went to watch Scary Movie V on Demand last night, but it was actually Scary Movie 3.  Mislabeled.

Regular Contributor

rampage1209 wrote:

Hi Rampage - Do you continue to have this issue with On Demand? The CARE support reps at 1-877-896-8678 should be able to resolve this issue with your account. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Comcast website can be confusing....I'm trying to upgrade my current HD/ DVR box to the X1 box. I'm trying to do it online because a Comcast rep told me it was $35 as opposed to $50 over the phone. So where do I find it?
Frequent Visitor

I couldn't do mine online. When I did mine on the phone, the guy told me 16 dollars for the install. Seems like there telling everyone something different.
Regular Contributor

Obo21 wrote:
Comcast website can be confusing....I'm trying to upgrade my current HD/ DVR box to the X1 box. I'm trying to do it online because a Comcast rep told me it was $35 as opposed to $50 over the phone. So where do I find it?

Obo21 - The online packages can be found on http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/Bundles/bundles.html. Please note prices and bundle offers may vary market to market. You can also contact 1-800-COMCAST for more information. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

kevinstamm wrote:
I couldn't do mine online. When I did mine on the phone, the guy told me 16 dollars for the install. Seems like there telling everyone something different.

Installation fees and bundle offers can vary market to market. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

kevinstamm wrote:

If you get offered what seems like a special deal from sales, get it in email or writing.  I was offered a 2nd DVR complemetary for the 1st six months.  It never happened and as hard as billing tried to put it through - for over 30 minutes one day, they could not - the computers were having no part of it as apparently everything has some billing code: no code, no go.  All I managed to get was a $20 one time credit - about $90 short of the deal I agreed to.  "Awesome!", right.  The future of awesome is apparently a future where the word has been diluted to mean "just OK".

Get it in writing.

New Poster

How do I solve this issue?

Say a movie for example Toy Story is

1) On HBO tomorrow night

2) On demand in Starz which I subscribe

3) Available as pay per view for $2.99

When I search or go to On Demand the only option that comes up is the pay per view.

I'll admit sometimes, it will show a record option, sometimes the free option but more often than not it defaults to pay only.

As a result I don't trust the X1 on demand to by default provide the free option.  Is there a way to set the settings to resolve this?

Also, I seond the comments on inability to search by genre and insufficient filters for sorting the large amount of content..

Regular Contributor

scott617 wrote:

How do I solve this issue?

Say a movie for example Toy Story is

1) On HBO tomorrow night

2) On demand in Starz which I subscribe

3) Available as pay per view for $2.99

When I search or go to On Demand the only option that comes up is the pay per view.

I'll admit sometimes, it will show a record option, sometimes the free option but more often than not it defaults to pay only.

As a result I don't trust the X1 on demand to by default provide the free option.  Is there a way to set the settings to resolve this?

Also, I seond the comments on inability to search by genre and insufficient filters for sorting the large amount of content..

scott617 - All options should be shown, but you are correct, the default highlight should go to the free option. I am going to send you a PM to gather account information. This might be a bug

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I too am getting the message of "Xfinity Ondemand: coming soon" with all on demand listings. Also I do not have the apps feature.

Silver Problem Solver

jmag1211 wrote:

I too am getting the message of "Xfinity Ondemand: coming soon" with all on demand listings. Also I do not have the apps feature.

What area of the country are you in?  How long has X1 been available?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

In Delaware and X1 just launched