Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

X1 Multi-TV Setup Questions

New Poster

X1 Multi-TV Setup Questions

I had Xfinity about three years ago and had the X1. I remember having a main DVR box and then an additional smaller box that I could also schedule recordings to the main box from. Fast forward three years. I've scheduled to have service installed at my new home and they're telling me that I can only have one main X1 in the house and two "HD" boxes. I won't be able to scheduled recordings to the main box, etc. on the secondary boxes. Is this correct information? He made it sound like I needed to have THREE X1 boxes for this to happen (@ $19.99/month) and that they could share recordings. You mean if I'm in my basement family room and see a show I want to record I have to run upstairs to record on the "main" X1 if I only have an HD box in my family room? This is stupid usability. Any clarification on this?
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Multi-TV Setup Questions

I’ll try to unravel this for you.
You will need X1 DVR service for three TV’s. One box is the main box which maintains your connection to Comcast. The other two boxes are smaller than a 5” hard drive and are characterized by a neon blue power light on the front right side of the box. These are slaves to the main box - unplug the main box and all TVs freeze. But they play independently of each other and behave like 3 separate DVRs.
New Poster

So on these secondary boxes you can schedule recordings, watch shows, etc. from the main X1 correct? If that's the case, I was told incorrect information from the Xfinity tech I talked to on the phone.
Frequent Visitor

Every TV will work exactly the way you're thinking. I have had the X1 DVR for years, and what I explained is what it does. The correct unit is the one with the blue power light on the front right corner of the unit.  I have one right here.  XiD-C is the model number - unless there is a newer one.  See below.
I've had mixed results with the call center.  I usually go to the Xfinity store and talk face-to-face with a person.  You can walk out with the correct equipment. 

Most recently I have received excellent help from the Xfinity social media team. Reach out to "ComcastElla"  here.  She's awesome.X1.JPG