Community Forum

X1 HDMI input ports

New Poster

X1 HDMI input ports

I notice that on the back of the X1 box there are 2 HDMI input ports.  Can you use those ports to connect Bluray DVD players to your tv.  My issue is that my current HD TV only has 1 HDMI input port.  I was hoping to connect the X1 to the TV via the HDMI and use the HDMI inputs on the X1 for the DVD player.  Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: X1 HDMI input ports

No they are disabled, try an HDMI switch
http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-Switcher-Selector-Support-Switching/dp/B003AQD5W6
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Why doesn't Comcast enable them? Save us the trouble of needing a switch if the functionality is built in to the box. Seems like a waste.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast won't turn the HDMI inputs on until they figure out a way to charge for it...

New Poster

They wont enable them because of the trouble call it will generate.  People would call in saying thier box doesnt work and it will be on the wrong input.

New Poster

ComcastAndrew wrote:
No they are disabled, try an HDMI switch
http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-Switcher-Selector-Support-Switching/dp/B003AQD5W6

Then why has Comcast not enabled them, as i know you may not be able to supply such an answer, you may be able to help us understand through the right channels as to why Comcast has not allowed these pass through inputs to be enabled. I have the bulky main DVR in a room that I do not wish to install an AV receiver and I have had multiple occasions in which i have called in for trouble using an HDMI switch. I was told simply by a phone representative and a field technician that the X1 box does not typically like HDMI switches unless it is of course a decent AV receiver.

Official Employee

Donovahn6, sorry I don't have an answer for you concerning the HDMI ports. Can you clarify what you're talking about receivers and switches and how one concerns the other.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

More than happy to, when I am saying switch I am referring too something like the one featured in the link that you posted. Your basic 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 HDMI switch. When I talk about receivers I am talking about something more like an Onkyo, or a Denon that handels HDMI pass through and audio distribution.

Gold Problem Solver

Not to step on Andrews toes but I am gonna try to help here. We know the X1 boxes work just fine when connected to a AV receiver with HDMI inputs. In fact that is probably the situation where X1 works it's best.

No offense to Andrew of any of his co-workers but the odds that you would talk to someone from Comcast on the phone that has any experience with this are slim and none.

I am sure that someone in this forum has run an X1 box into an outboard HDMI switch but I am not aware of it. It's safe to say that X1 has some oddities in regards to HDMI and may not be playing to quite the same rules and specs as everyone else.

I have seen remote controlled HDMI switches for as low as $40. I just installed one at a friends house that worked great but they have DirecTV. Top brands such as Key Digital now have HDMI switches starting at just over $100. My suggestion? Go out and buy one then report back to us how it works.

Donovahn6 wrote:

More than happy to, when I am saying switch I am referring too something like the one featured in the link that you posted. Your basic 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 HDMI switch. When I talk about receivers I am talking about something more like an Onkyo, or a Denon that handels HDMI pass through and audio distribution.

Official Employee

Sorry i should have been clearer. I was meaning how the switch and receiver are involved in your individual setup and what you want/ are trying to do

New Poster

I use an hdmi switch box with remote because my amp doesn't have this functionality. Works fine. Never had any problems.
New Poster

what about the component video ports or the a/v ports...are they disabled, too? 

Contributor

I don't know if I have the same model x1 box as you do, but this is just to let you know that mine has functional component video, which is what I'm using as my 3 to 1 hdmi switch is currently fully populated with other gizmos.

New Poster

I wouldn't bother with an HDMI switch. We have switches and they result in error messages daily requiring us to reboot the X1 box. Service technician said it was our switch, we disabled our switch and now we don't have to reboot the box daily....but we also can't have an HD DVD player on an HDMI cable as a result. I wish Comcast would address this!
Contributor

That is correct, the Comcast X1 box is not designed to pass the DVD player signal through it, but there may be HDMI Switch out there that will accept 2 separate signals and send the one you choose to watch to the single input on your TV. Thank you for using our forums.

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastLinda wrote:

That is correct, the Comcast X1 box is not designed to pass the DVD player signal through it, but there may be HDMI Switch out there that will accept 2 separate signals and send the one you choose to watch to the single input on your TV. Thank you for using our forums.

ComcastLinda is absolutely correct..... I currently use a "higher-end" ( not cheap) HDMI switching device for 3 devices to share into the HDMI tv.....   No problems, no disruptions, no issues....    In th end, you get whay you pay for....

Good luck!

New Poster

Hey just a quick solution that doesn't cost anything but it's not fancy. I have my blue ray sitting on top of my X1 box. I just take the hdmi cable out of the X1 box and plugins into my blu ray when I want to watch a disc and move it back when I want to watch cable. Hey not cool but free