Community Forum

X1 HD Box - Video Description (SAP)

New Poster

X1 HD Box - Video Description (SAP)

I have an X1 HD set-top box #PR150BNM that recently started giving me the video description (SAP) ment for the blind when playing certain shows. How do I turn this off as it is really annoying? I switched the box to a different TV - no change, I checked the audio settings (stereo/english) - no change. I don't have a problem with the DVR box only the set-top box. I also tried accessing the box menu by pressing the menu button when the HD box was powered off, but got nothing. Please help! I can't watch any of the shows with this on as it is too distracting.

New Poster

Re: X1 HD Box - Video Description (SAP)

Did you try yanking power cord out the back, then plug it back in after waiting 10 seconds or so, and then let it restart?

That's what I have to do when these puppies misbehave!

Good luck,

A

New Poster

I tried restarting it... In fact I moved it to a different TV just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the TV itself. Any other ideas?

New Poster

We just started having this exact same problem... Tech even came out - he said he had no idea what to do.
Interested if you find a solution. I'll post if we find out a way to fix it.
Official Employee

If you go to menu and under device settings under audio is the language set to English?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Both the box and TV are set to English.
Regular Visitor

I'm also having this issue. Yay!

New Poster

Hate to do a "me too" but hopefully there's an answer. Currently, I get to hear the description of Sherlock solving crimes as he explains his deductions, so I'm getting LOTS of description.

New Poster

I was having the same problem (only on my bedroom box, and only on recorded shows from CBS) and just spent a hour on the phone with customer service, and we fixed it!! You'll laugh at how though, ready?! Hit the Xfinity button and togle over to settings. Go to Device Settings, hit ok, go down to Audio and hit ok. Now go to the language and change it to Spanish. I PROMISE! It sounds insane, but that's how we fixed it!!! GOOD LUCK ALL!!!!

Tags (4)
New Poster

Interesting workaround - I was having the same issue yesterday (also only on the secondary X1 box and on CBS shows, which presumably all have Descriptive Audio), went through all the settings on the TV and cable box, couldn't find anything wrong, found I was not the only one on the forums.

Its almost like there is a software bug where the primary and secondary audio programs are flipped...

New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem! Sadly, the workaround didn't work for me. I hope Comcast fixes this problem ASAP because it's ruining my shows. Something is always breaking on these boxes and it drives me nuts!
New Poster

The work around stopped working for me too. But I tried it again and them restarted the show and it worked. I'll try to explain better:
Turned on my NCIS recording, the SAP was on again.
Went back to settings and changed the language again, this time to French, just anything but English.
Went back to my recording sand restarted it, and the SAP was gone again! Good luck!!
New Poster

The work around worked for me too.  However, it only worked if the language was changed to "Spanish" while watching live TV (i.e., before going into the recorded program).  When the recorded program was over and live TV was back on, the sound was silent until the language was changed back to "English".

New Poster

The workaround did not work for me at all, I tried multiple language settings Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I hate to add a me too, but me too.  Seems to only be on CBS (channel 2 in Chicago).  Tried changing to spanish with no luck. The box isn't even 12 hours old and I'm regretting this whole house DVR thing already

New Poster

I'm literally having the exact same problem.  So annoying.  Will try the spanish trick and let everyone know if that works or if I hear of anything else.

Official Employee

Put it in French and that should fix it, there is no eta for a permanent fix

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

The trick to getting the SAP turned off on your dvr recordings while watching them on the X1 HD box is to turn it to spanish or french audio before going into the recordings. Hopefully we will soon have a fix for this problem soon.
New Poster

This worked for me (after spending three hours on the phone with technical support, who had NO idea what I was talking about).  However, I believe this is due to the recent software update to the Xfinity boxes that changed the display and there is some sort of software bug causing the narration to occur on certain programs.  Please please pass this along to the appropriate people can fix this permanently! 

New Poster

Spanish setting fixed it for is today!
New Poster

How do I turn off the annoying SAP 

Official Employee

Xfinity button to tools to audio settings change second language to French

New Poster

Hello, 

I have tried to disable the SAP multiple times by choosing the Settings and changing the secondary language to french. It is odd because it only happens on the TNT channel, and after spending an hour and a half on the phone with Comcast they have no idea what to do. This or any other language for the work around does not work at all. Please help as this is getting very frustrating and frankly I'm getting a little tired of paying for services that do not work properly. Thanks to anyone who can help with this as any advice would be appreciated. 

Official Employee

Lucky that was a workaround before a permanent fix. Try the A button 2x

New Poster

Thank you so much for this response! It wasn't quite the same problem for me, but it lead me to the solution!  I went to the menu, then audio setup. It turned out the descriptive audio service was on - and v set for Spanish (even though we were getting English)! Just didn't know where to look for the settings, so thank you!

New Poster

Iam having the same issue with CBS (KHOU) in Houston, TX.  I changed the language to English and it stopped.  I spoke to my family they said that it happens periodically but then goes a way.  It is odd that you can not turn off SAP. It is amazing that people have been complaining since 2014.

Official Employee

You absolutely can turn off SAP.
Xfinity button to Gear Symbol to Device Settings to Audio to SAP, press OK and toggle between on and off. Also make sure your tv’s settings are also set to off