Community Forum

X1 Error XRE 00253

New Poster

X1 Error XRE 00253

I picked up the X1 box from my local Comcast office. I connected the box and called the # given to activate. I've spent the last 2 DAYS trying to get this box activated and working. I've opened a ticket, been transferred numerous times, spoken to 9 people at Comcast and the issues still isn't resolved. I spoke with Nick last night who assured me that a Comcast installer would be at my home between 9-12. Of course you know that didn't happen. I called 1-855-OK-BEGIN and the box still isn't working.

Comcast continues to disappoint me by not following through.  I'm planning to take the X1 box back to the store and get another one in HOPES that it'll work.  If not, then I'm seriously considering changing service providers.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Error XRE 00253

ladylogan wrote:

I picked up the X1 box from my local Comcast office. I connected the box and called the # given to activate. I've spent the last 2 DAYS trying to get this box activated and working. I've opened a ticket, been transferred numerous times, spoken to 9 people at Comcast and the issues still isn't resolved. I spoke with Nick last night who assured me that a Comcast installer would be at my home between 9-12. Of course you know that didn't happen. I called 1-855-OK-BEGIN and the box still isn't working.

Comcast continues to disappoint me by not following through.  I'm planning to take the X1 box back to the store and get another one in HOPES that it'll work.  If not, then I'm seriously considering changing service providers.

Another case of an SIK going south.....  no X1 shoudl be installed unless by a TECH who can bteer examine signal issues wihtin your residence.... we have been tossing this one about for quite some time now....

Sorry to hear about your issues, but you should get a TECH to install it....

Ray

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmm,

This would be the seventh X1 self install that I am aware of. It is the sixth that failed and required a service visit to straighten out. The only X1 self install that I am aware of that succeeded was a professional audio/video installer that did his own install and has much experience dealing with Comcast.

I am not sure what Comcast was thinking when they decided to do X1 self install...

Ladylogan, like any other big telecom company Comcast budgets to lose a certain amount of customers every single day. It's called churn. If you leave them you just become one more insignificant blip on a bean counters tally sheet. Threatening to leave them falls on very deaf ears...

Please get a tech out to your house to handle your X1 install...

ladylogan wrote:

Expert

geek46 wrote:

ladylogan wrote:

Another case of an SIK going south.....  no X1 shoudl be installed unless by a TECH who can bteer examine signal issues wihtin your residence.... we have been tossing this one about for quite some time now....

Sorry to hear about your issues, but you should get a TECH to install it....

Ray

maybe .. just maybe.. this is the end or a thinning of using the contractors who largely seem unable to truly set up good service to the local customer's cable plant. So on a self install, customer calls and they send a real tech out to fix it and charge customer in same way for any services provided (unless they have inside wiring paid for last few months at a minimum).

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

you can add this as your eighth self install and seventh failure. Spent hours on the phone trying to get my x1 box to work. finailly read this forum and threw in the towel and called for a tech. i try to avoid this  because it is absurd to have to pay for a tech while we already pay an astronomical amount for our cable as it is.

New Poster

So, you have the option of self-install but you always have to call a TECH to come over your place and pay for it?! This would be the second time (of two) i have to call a technitian to do the installation.

I'm having the same XRE-00253 error, it's being 4 days now, i tried everything and called multiple times to comcast... no solution.

If the error says "this device needs to be initialized" it's not a problem with the signal strength. For example, my old box (prior X1) worked perfectly before upgrading the account to X1. I even tried to plug it directly to the wall (no splitter), tried different cables with different categories (catv, catvx...), and same error message.

I activated it multiple times through www.comcast.net/activate, all steps were correct, but the error message persists. Internet works perfectly, it's only a problem with the TV service.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Call 877-896-8678 and explain your issue.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

> no X1 shoudl be installed unless by a TECH who can bteer examine signal issues wihtin your residence. No DVR/set top box should require a technician to install. Hook the cable to the wall, hook it to the box, hook output to TV input, plug it in and voila! it should work. There should be no signal issues since the previous box and current modem/router work fine. The competitor's boxes don't need professional techs, and I shouldn't be on hold for SEVENTY FIVE minutes waiting for phone support to figure whatever out.
New Poster

NOTE: I am adding my experience here in hopes that it eventually helps someone.

Despite everyone saying you need a technician, we were able to finally get this message resolved over the phone.  I think it takes getting the right technical support person on the phone.  The individual that finally resolved the issue for us clearly had experience with the issue.  They immediately identified two issues in our account setup and took care of them.  It took about 5 minutes and the receiver started working.  First issue was our account showed the receiver as pending activation.  She manually switched it to activated.  Second, she said, "It is coded wrong".  I am not sure what that means exactly, but it had to do with the setup on Comcast's end.  I think either the X1 was not set as our primary receiver, or they had picked the X1 without the DVR and we had the one WITH the DVR.  Reguardless, it had to do with how they had our receiver configuration set.  So the system was expecting one configuration and was getting another.  

If you make an appointment for a tech to come out, it doesn't hurt to keep calling support until they are actually there.  You many wind up getting someone that knows what they are talking about.  After the initial call to troubleshoot, don't allow the techs to take you through the same steps over and over.  As soon as they want you to try things you have already done, let them know you have already tried their suggestion and it did not work.  If they want you to try it anyway and refuse to try anything new, hang up.  It is insanity to keep trying the same things over and over.  Your goal is to get someone that has a new idea.

Unforunately, this is a common problem with tech support call centers.  The turnover is horrible, so you have few people that have experience dealing with REAL problems.  If you have the time and patience for it, you have to keep calling until you get someone with the answer.  Or you can wait for the tech and hope they have experience and can solve it.  Fortunately, we finally got someone that knew what to do over the phone.