Community Forum

X1 Error Code: RDK-03031 - Unable to Connect to XFINITY TV

New Poster

X1 Error Code: RDK-03031 - Unable to Connect to XFINITY TV

After a thunderstorm the other night, one of our three X1 boxes is generating an error message.  We are getting a screen that says We're having trouble connecting to the X1 Platform.  This may be temporary so please check back shortly to try again.

The lower right corner shows a code of RDK-03031.

All of this occurs even after unplugging and allowing the box to reboot.

I swapped in another box which works on another TV and it still wouldn't connect.  Is it possible that the box works, but the one of the cable lines got fried?

New Poster

Re: X1 Error Code: RDK-03031 - Unable to Connect to XFINITY TV

I'm having the same issue as of this morning on all tv's and my Internet is out.
Gold Problem Solver

RDK error messages almost always mean your X1 box cannot communicate with a server it needs to communicate with. Many times it fixes itself within 12-24 hours. If not, call in and set up a service visit. If your interent is also out, you have an issue that is beyond X1. There must be an outage in your neighborhood.

AnnieMI01 wrote:
I'm having the same issue as of this morning on all tv's and my Internet is out.

New Poster

I received this error code around 6:30 this morning.  I have unplugged the box numerous times. I have called Comcast twice-- only to be told that I would have to wait it out!!!!! It has been nearly 12 hours already and I still don't have service!!!!!

New Poster

I am still waiting!!! Comcast is making a home visit on SATURDAY!

New Poster

I was told ANY interuption of electricity for 30 minutes or longer will require a visit from a tech, who are not available for more than 48 hours. What a stupid product.   Find me another cable company, because x1 is NOT ready to be sold to the public.

Gold Problem Solver

aht772e wrote: I was told ANY interuption of electricity for 30 minutes or longer will require a visit from a tech ...

Told by who? Why would a tech visit be needed?

New Poster

So here is the end to the story...

Personally tried to reboot many, many times... swapped out known good boxes for the one acting up... continually got either RDK-03031 or 03030 errors.

I resorted to calling for help and thinking that I would need a tech to come out.  

Called on Sunday 8/10 at 2:30.  After going through the standard diagnostics, the representative looked at the next available tech that could make a house call.  Turns out that there was an opening at that time.  Less than an hour later a tech was at my house!

He checked the signal strength at that site (which was -14) vs. at the initial point inside the house (+7).  

He determined that the issue was the wall plate in the room that was having the issue.  Swapped that out, made some comment about it being a cheap Radio Shack gold plated (looks nice but doesn't work) kind.

All works well now.  

He wasn't sure why the thunderstorm would create that issue, or if it was just coincidence that the issue started at that time.

New Poster

i just got my box sept 8 2014 and it gives that error message any i deas!!!

New Poster

Ok, first of all, this types of codes such as 03030, 03031, 03033 normally indicate that signal is either too weak or there is no signal. All comcast representatives know that and they also know that in order to fix it right they will to do some serious cable pulling and equipment upgrades. Will they do it? That is another question, but right upfront i can tell you--they wont jump right away to fix it as they wont jump right away to fix anything that will involve them spending extra.

Customer services more concearned with telling how our satisfaction is their priority and thanking us for patience then providing customer service.

You should take couple small steps to figure out exactly what is going on.

1. If there was an amplifyer installed right at the entrance of their cable that means entering signal is weak already. This is total nonsense. You wouldnt want your electric utility company to install transformer inside your house if the voltage is too low at the service entrance. Transformers should be outside, on a street if there is a voltage drop, and so should be an amplifiers for comcast if there is a week signal, so, if there is a signal issue, they wont need to go inside your house to troubleshoot it and you wont need to take extra time off work to babysit them.

2. You might not see that code and your service will work better early morning, around 4-5 am. There could be two reasons--weak signal in the network, in the morning, when there are less demand and less use you get stronger signal, which points to the comcast network and unacceptible service. It could also be that outside connections are deteriorated and morning moisture increase conductivity. That also points to the unacceptible service. Most likely its all of the above.

One way or another, check for amplifyer inside. If there is none--most likely comcast will install one inside to get you of their back for a while. One... may be two years. Then it will take forever to upgrade their service. From my personal experience...

i had better luck switching to different provider for couple years. That what it takes for comcast to realize that they are loosing customers in certain areas and somethng needs to be done.

What really gets me, the fastest thing about comcast is their billing. They bill before providing service... Or to be correct before not providing it.

New Poster

Wall plate in a room?

And you beleive in that? How quick they are to point at something inside the residence to avoid any type of responsibilities.

Look at it this way, if pressure at water main is low, you will have low pressure inside the house. If you change shower head it will improve water flow at the shower but water pressure at the main will be the same, in fact it will be even lower because your use will increase.

So far they are just putting down small fires instead of fixing the system.