Community Forum

X1 Data Usage

New Poster

X1 Data Usage

Ever since we got the X1 box, our data usage has gone throught the roof!  We went from 300-400GB to 1200-1500GB for 2 months in a row.  Comcast says the box doesn't use that much data yet they also say they don't see anything out of the ordinary on my account.  I guess except for the fact that our data usage has tripled/quadrupled??? Ugh.  I can't afford going over the cap this month so I'm going to return the box on Monday to see if that's what's really the cause, but...  Can someone tell me if they have had a similar experience or knows what may be happening?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Data Usage

Considering this is primarily a user to user forum, I am not sure how much help you will find here. For the most part, X1 usage does not count against the data cap. Netflix/Pandora usage does.

However at first glace this sounds like an account code/back room problem and you may need to keep dogging Comcast to fix this.

Official Employee

audreylshine wrote:

Ever since we got the X1 box, our data usage has gone throught the roof!  We went from 300-400GB to 1200-1500GB for 2 months in a row.  Comcast says the box doesn't use that much data yet they also say they don't see anything out of the ordinary on my account.  I guess except for the fact that our data usage has tripled/quadrupled??? Ugh.  I can't afford going over the cap this month so I'm going to return the box on Monday to see if that's what's really the cause, but...  Can someone tell me if they have had a similar experience or knows what may be happening?  Thank you.

Your internet usage for this month and past months have com from your modem, not the X1 box.     The notes on your account advised you to contact security assurance if it continues, you've already used a substantial amount in the first 3 days of the month but it's not from the X1 box.

Expert

adding.. well knowing it is from your modem gives you some options. Do you have any devices hooked up via ethernet?  Do you have a smart device like an android phone/pad or iphone/iPad? If so load and run free app 'Fing' and do a network scan. It will tell you each device on your network with IP and a manufacturer of the device's wireless MAC id. See anything active that you don't know? Use your Xfinity MyAccount app to change the wireless password (or if you own your own router use its user-interface to change the network password). Hopefully you have implemented wireless security. There is a whole area on the forum for home network too with some great contributors to help.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

The X one box uses up to seven gigs of data through Netflix on an HDTV and up to three gigs of data in our for regular HD but if you look at the estimator on the Xfinity website they claim that it's only 1.7 gigs used an hour so you always utilize more than you believe that you are. I have been trying to find out how much data each box is using specifically but I can I get that information anywhere it should be a way to figure out how much data each box is using so that you can pinpoint actual usage problems .
Official Employee

Take a look at the last row of apps and go to Xfinity xfi and you can find out what device(not just X1 boxes) is using data and when it is used.
New Poster

I use my tv app to stream. While we still had the x1 box our data would sky rocket to 1tb usage. Decided I didn't want to pay for xfinity tv service anymore and just stream and use our air antenna. Usage dropped by half after disconnecting x1 box and thats with leaving streaming running all night while I sleep. Half our streaming is at Suhd/4k quality usage.
New Poster

I never streamed through our x1 box but still ran up to 1tb a month, explain why our data usage dropped by half after canceling xfinity tv and x1 box.