Community Forum

X1 DVR

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

How do I delete a recording out of my CLOUD DVR, but NOT (leave it on) my Local DVR  hard drive.

Expert

@Lanman wrote:

How do I delete a recording out of my CLOUD DVR, but NOT (leave it on) my Local DVR  hard drive.

no separate control. it will fall off based on time and recordings that come later. when the system removes it from the cloud the home DVR copy is not touched.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

One more completely horrible bit of UI, given the fact that the cloud stores less than your DVR.

So there is ample desire to be able to clear out your cloud to use it for backup/emergencies on upcoming recordings, but not need it for everything that is successfully on your DVR.

But no, why would you want to be able to do that...  they can't possibly enable anything beyond FIFO autodelete...   so when you finally get around to watching that one movie you saved, but oh, the recording is bad, no problem it's also saved in the cloud, oh, no it's not, it autodeleted because your cloud storage is completely unrelated to and way less than your actual DVR storage...

@Rustyben wrote:

@Lanman wrote:

no separate control. it will fall off based on time and recordings that come later. when the system removes it from the cloud the home DVR copy is not touched.

Most Valued Poster

@bfallona wrote:

So not sure how this new DVR thread is supposed to work.  It would be nicer to have a dedicated box with specific topics under it.   So all of a sudden my X1 dvr is not only recording the wrong programs under the wrong name, but also recording 1-2 yr old shows even when I have it set to record new episodes only.  For the wrong show under wrong name. I had it set to record Jay Leno Garage but got 4 shows of the Profit.  And yesterday, my dvr recorded a year old episode of Oak Island from 11/2018.  And yes, I checked under options to make sure it was set for new episodes only.

----

Even though we set our recordings for 'new episodes only' there are networks that show reruns and there is something about the way they 'mark' them that makes them look new  to the DVR. This has been going on for years.  I had to change the recording channel to the local network channel only rather than marking them HD or SD. That way they only record when broadcast on that one channel. I don't like it but had to do it. Blue Bloods, NCIS, Chicago PD, the Goldbergs are some examples as older episodes are broadcast on such as ION, USA and others.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@bfallona wrote:

So not sure how this new DVR thread is supposed to work.  It would be nicer to have a dedicated box with specific topics under it.   So all of a sudden my X1 dvr is not only recording the wrong programs under the wrong name, but also recording 1-2 yr old shows even when I have it set to record new episodes only.  For the wrong show under wrong name. I had it set to record Jay Leno Garage but got 4 shows of the Profit.  And yesterday, my dvr recorded a year old episode of Oak Island from 11/2018.  And yes, I checked under options to make sure it was set for new episodes only.

----

Even though we set our recordings for 'new episodes only' there are networks that show reruns and there is something about the way they 'mark' them that makes them look new  to the DVR. This has been going on for years.  I had to change the recording channel to the local network channel only rather than marking them HD or SD. That way they only record when broadcast on that one channel. I don't like it but had to do it. Blue Bloods, NCIS, Chicago PD, the Goldbergs are some examples as older episodes are broadcast on such as ION, USA and others.

if you wish to record one channel's runs of a series, remove the 'search' series in the priority list and find the next episode on the wanted channel to record and press record. When new episodes is selected, you will get a recording for 'no mark of rerun' and 'new'. any episode flagged as rerun will not be recorded.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@bfallona wrote:

----

if you wish to record one channel's runs of a series, remove the 'search' series in the priority list and find the next episode on the wanted channel to record and press record. When new episodes is selected, you will get a recording for 'no mark of rerun' and 'new'. any episode flagged as rerun will not be recorded

==

Interesting information but unforturnatly many of what we call reruns are  considered new and even marked that way because they are indeed 'new' to the  cable network airing them.  Cable networks even advertise the episodes as 'new'. ION just did that with reruns of Chicago PD that are 'new' to USA as they were running really really old ones. 

Most Valued Poster

Anyone know when the next update will be released?  The last one completely destroyed my user experience.  It's up to about 90% now for restarting a recording and it will play from the beginning instead of where I last left off.  Just such an enjoyable time trying to fast forward to figure out where I left off without  wasting a bunch of time or giving away something I haven't seen yet.

Not easy, not simple, and most definitely not awesome.

Silver Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

Anyone know when the next update will be released?  The last one completely destroyed my user experience.  It's up to about 90% now for restarting a recording and it will play from the beginning instead of where I last left off.  Just such an enjoyable time trying to fast forward to figure out where I left off without  wasting a bunch of time or giving away something I haven't seen yet.

We have NEVER been notified in advance of when an update will be rolled out.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@tctc wrote:

when you press the OK button while playing does it show "DVR" or "cloud DVR"? if you were watching a recording did it change to "On Demand' (instead of DVR with the OK button)?

Most Valued Poster

Hi Rustyben, no, it wasn't a cloud recording or on demand, those are actually separate but additional issues since the last update.

5 bugs introduced in recent updates:

1. DVR recordings don't start back up where they were last left off.

2. Some recordings are cloud recordings instead of on the DVR for unknown reasons (no outage/DVR not full)

3. When watching multiple episodes from a DVR, at the end of an episode selecting "play next episode", starts the next episode from On Demand instead of from the DVR.

4. Using navigation controls such as ff/skip fwd, occassionally the screen stops as if it's paused.  You can tell it's not paused because if you press play/pause, the pause icon then shows up.  This never happened before.

5. When in slow motion, pressing play/pause goes to Play instead of Pause, like it used to and should.

#s 1,4,5 above were verified by a tech at both my house and by talking to other techs and users who have seen the same behavior on their setups since recent updates.

#2 above was verified at my house and they were supposed to research it, but of course I have heard nothing back from anyone, except for the "day after visit follow up call", where I explained that, no, things were not fixed please follow up.  But no one has.

Comcast programmers must be so proud.

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

when you press the OK button while playing does it show "DVR" or "cloud DVR"? if you were watching a recording did it change to "On Demand' (instead of DVR with the OK button)?

Expert

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben, no, it wasn't a cloud recording or on demand, those are actually separate but additional issues since the last update.

1. DVR recordings don't start back up where they were last left off. change from DVR to on-demand of a program will restart. changing from a streaming device to a TV with STB will be different timing. the system saves the current position at various intervals (apparently every 10 seconds or so). 

2. Some recordings are cloud recordings instead of on the DVR for unknown reasons (no outage/DVR not full). Have more than one DVR? compare Xfinity TV remote app recordings (what are supposed to be on your home DVR(s) only) to the xfinity stream TV app (cloud only recordings). do you see much difference? if so you may have a failing DVR.

3. When watching multiple episodes from a DVR, at the end of an episode selecting "play next episode", starts the next episode from On Demand instead of from the DVR. starts next recording on all of my set top boxes from the DVR not ondemand.

4. Using navigation controls such as ff/skip fwd, occassionally the screen stops as if it's paused.  You can tell it's not paused because if you press play/pause, the pause icon then shows up.  This never happened before. complicated. if you rewind or jump (not fast forward) you may hit a commercial that is in a different format for example mpeg2 instead of mpeg4. if you land at a point too far away from the needed header the screen will be black. when stopping the playing of a recording or on-demand this may happen too (the effect will be a fail to return to live programming. just wait for the commecial to end (guess) and the video will restart. all of this is related to the X1 not set to pass through resolutions.

5. When in slow motion, pressing play/pause goes to Play instead of Pause, like it used to and should. since X1 began has always been the case. legacy had that function.

#s 1,4,5 above were verified by a tech at both my house and by talking to other techs and users who have seen the same behavior on their setups since recent updates.

#2 above was verified at my house and they were supposed to research it, but of course I have heard nothing back from anyone, except for the "day after visit follow up call", where I explained that, no, things were not fixed please follow up.  But no one has.

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

replies in red text above. I've had 2 of 4 older blue-ies DVRs fail in last 3 months.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben Thanks for the update info. You said your answers were in red but they show up pukey green on my screen and I can't read them. Just thought I would mention that.

Regular Visitor

Hello,

I think updates come out monthly usually but I thought there was a forum for X1 Updates but it seems it stopped being updated back in 2015.  Is there a place where X1 DVR software release notes / updates are posted so we stay current on new features added and defects that have been addressed?

Thanks for your assistance.

Most Valued Poster

@TigerJr wrote:

Hello,

I think updates come out monthly usually but I thought there was a forum for X1 Updates but it seems it stopped being updated back in 2015.  Is there a place where X1 DVR software release notes / updates are posted so we stay current on new features added and defects that have been addressed?

Thanks for your assistance.

---

That update forum was great and wish they would bring it back and always update ...no matter how minor the updates/tweaking may be.  Its all about communication with the customer and Comcast fails in that regard unfortunately. Another thing is that they don't communicate when they remove or add channels to the lineups.  Like so many billers, they want us to  have paperless billing so if by some chance they put it in the bill I don't see it. 

Most Valued Poster

Thanks for the input, but...

1.  I'm only talking about restarting a program on the DVR, it should restart at the exact same time as you last exited, or it's a bug.  (If you're saying that for some reason it is mistakenly playing the same program On Demand instead of from the DVR, then that is multiple bugs, but not likely since it happens with content that is not available on demand.)

2. Is hard to compare when your DVRs hold a lot more content than the cloud, and thus a lot of cloud content gets deleted.  But I guess it could be a possibility, since I do have 2.  But the tech who was at my house should have mentioned that.  And it seems strange that the only symptom of a failed DVR would be some recordings end up being "cloud DVR".

3. Used to for my also, this is new behavior.  Has happened twice now in the last week.

4.  Not related to commercials, happens during content.  Also not on demand related, I don't use it unless there was an issue with a recording and it's the only way I can get to the content, which is thankfully pretty rare.

5.  Not true, up until recently if you were in slow motion you could press pause/play and it would go back and forth between slow motion and pause.  Verified by the tech at my house and others.

I have come to realize that I am an unusual user of the skip/slo mo/other commands and don't just sit and watch show like 99% of users probably do, so I live with it, what choide do I really have, it's the best platform out there.  But there are already a whole list of basic DVR functions that are missing, having bugs introduced that take funcitionaliy away are extremely disappointing.

And the fact that it takes months, if not years, for them to be fixed is pretty weak.

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

1. DVR recordings don't start back up where they were last left off. change from DVR to on-demand of a program will restart. changing from a streaming device to a TV with STB will be different timing. the system saves the current position at various intervals (apparently every 10 seconds or so). 

2. Some recordings are cloud recordings instead of on the DVR for unknown reasons (no outage/DVR not full). Have more than one DVR? compare Xfinity TV remote app recordings (what are supposed to be on your home DVR(s) only) to the xfinity stream TV app (cloud only recordings). do you see much difference? if so you may have a failing DVR.

3. When watching multiple episodes from a DVR, at the end of an episode selecting "play next episode", starts the next episode from On Demand instead of from the DVR. starts next recording on all of my set top boxes from the DVR not ondemand.

4. Using navigation controls such as ff/skip fwd, occassionally the screen stops as if it's paused.  You can tell it's not paused because if you press play/pause, the pause icon then shows up.  This never happened before. complicated. if you rewind or jump (not fast forward) you may hit a commercial that is in a different format for example mpeg2 instead of mpeg4. if you land at a point too far away from the needed header the screen will be black. when stopping the playing of a recording or on-demand this may happen too (the effect will be a fail to return to live programming. just wait for the commecial to end (guess) and the video will restart. all of this is related to the X1 not set to pass through resolutions.

5. When in slow motion, pressing play/pause goes to Play instead of Pause, like it used to and should. since X1 began has always been the case. legacy had that function.

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

replies in red text above. I've had 2 of 4 older blue-ies DVRs fail in last 3 months.