Community Forum

X1 DVR

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

@Rustyben wrote:

or just didn't record locally.

Do you mean that even if there is not an outage , some problem (no way for me to know) from the "head end" in our area can prevent a recording?

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.

It's useless if you only watch from your DVR/TV

Thanks tctc......that would be me so I won't worry about it furtherSmiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

So, Im still lost on how to prevent this from happening.  Is it coincidence that the only two recordings this happened on where the last two games?  i.e. I have zero faith recording future games...so, what is the point of a DVR?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.

your home DVR sees both local and cloud copies of programs but only plays local copies when both exist. the stream TV app or the stream website show only cloud recordings currently available. the xfinity TV Remote app shows you only local recordings available on your home DVR. 

If a local copy is bad (think power loss due to a storm) then the cloud copy can be watched on a streaming device. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

your home DVR sees both local and cloud copies of programs but only plays local copies when both exist. the stream TV app or the stream website show only cloud recordings currently available. the xfinity TV Remote app shows you only local recordings available on your home DVR. 

If a local copy is bad (think power loss due to a storm) then the cloud copy can be watched on a streaming device. 

No storm, no outage - only cloud copies for 1/2 a day yesterday.

Frequent Visitor

First off, I don't stream, this is all a question of a local DVR.  I also don't really believe it is some issue between local and cloud versions.  It is too much of a coincidence that two games two weeks in a row recorded less than 10 minutes in the same way, yet ALL other recordings work fine.

Expert

@Jeff5150 wrote:

First off, I don't stream, this is all a question of a local DVR.  I also don't really believe it is some issue between local and cloud versions.  It is too much of a coincidence that two games two weeks in a row recorded less than 10 minutes in the same way, yet ALL other recordings work fine.

there is a random problem (fixable) where cloud recordings are short as you describe but the DVR (local) has full recording. to test the particular recording you described, check the length of the recording on your X1 set top box connected TV and then on the stream website or smart device stream app. one should be ok where you can watch the recording.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

there is a random problem (fixable) where cloud recordings are short as you describe but the DVR (local) has full recording. to test the particular recording you described, check the length of the recording on your X1 set top box connected TV and then on the stream website or smart device stream app. one should be ok where you can watch the recording.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply...when looking into your suggestion, I found one potential thing.  First off, the recording still showed less than 10 minutes on the cloud version.  Secondly, what was interesting is that on the main recordings page on the streaming site, it said I was 100% full, yet, my DVR says 70%.  Perhaps it didn't finish the recording for this reason - though, I would expect some sort of user facing message saying this when recording something.  This may not be the issue, but, an interesting observation.

Expert

@Jeff5150 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply...when looking into your suggestion, I found one potential thing.  First off, the recording still showed less than 10 minutes on the cloud version.  Secondly, what was interesting is that on the main recordings page on the streaming site, it said I was 100% full, yet, my DVR says 70%.  Perhaps it didn't finish the recording for this reason - though, I would expect some sort of user facing message saying this when recording something.  This may not be the issue, but, an interesting observation.

check the recording length on the x1 set top box. start playback on the home's DVR(s) and while playing press the OK button. if the cloud icon is in front of the word DVR (source) then your local DVRs didn't record and the short recording showing is the cloud copy. re: %full the two devices measure percentage of two different things. the cloud DVR is % of hours used divided by 60 hours (max per cloud DVR). The local DVR % is percent of space used on the physical DVR(s) and depends on mix of local channels (mpeg2) vs cable channels (mpeg4).

Regular Contributor

Anyone with 2 DVRs notice playback quality changes on different recordings?

I have 2 DVRs and I can tell when my "main" DVR is getting full and recordings are being made on the other one instead.  When I try to watch a recording from the "secondary" box it takes 15-20 seconds before it will start to play, I have to turn up the volume significantly, the video quality is reduced, and it acts almost like on demand playback, with delayed responses for any commands.  LightningFF is unuseable.

Unfortunately this happens when I get to only around 35-40% "full" (a short program will record on the main still, but something long like a football or hockey game will end up on the secondary).  So I either have to live with the poor quality, or keep my recordings way low, which defeats a lot of the purpose of paying for a second DVR (which I never requested in the first place).

Expert

@tctc wrote:

I have 2 DVRs and I can tell when my "main" DVR is getting full and recordings are being made on the other one instead.  When I try to watch a recording from the "secondary" box it takes 15-20 seconds before it will start to play, I have to turn up the volume significantly, the video quality is reduced, and it acts almost like on demand playback, with delayed responses for any commands.  LightningFF is unuseable.

Unfortunately this happens when I get to only around 35-40% "full" (a short program will record on the main still, but something long like a football or hockey game will end up on the secondary).  So I either have to live with the poor quality, or keep my recordings way low, which defeats a lot of the purpose of paying for a second DVR (which I never requested in the first place).

hi, what are the model numbers of your set top boxes? you can get that on screen by saying voice "about' and it is STB version. next time you see that 'different' playback, press the OK button while it is playing normally and note the upper left corner. is it DVR with a white cloud icon in front of it?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

hi, what are the model numbers of your set top boxes? you can get that on screen by saying voice "about' and it is STB version. next time you see that 'different' playback, press the OK button while it is playing normally and note the upper left corner. is it DVR with a white cloud icon in front of it?

main & second both STB version  PX013AN_3.2p6s1_PROD_sey  

I did find a recording that was exhibiting the behavior and it had the cloud icon.

Not sure why it would have been a cloud recording though, since I was home and everything was online during that recording / no outages anyway.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I did find a recording that was exhibiting the behavior and it had the cloud icon.

Not sure why it would have been a cloud recording though, since I was home and everything was online during that recording / no outages anyway.

have you already deleted the recording? there is a report the techs can see on their server if not deleted. (restoring from deleted recordings will not restore the report).

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

have you already deleted the recording? there is a report the techs can see on their server if not deleted. (restoring from deleted recordings will not restore the report).

ah, yes, deleted that one that I knew for sure was doing it, then restored to see if it had the icon

I'll have to look for another one

Regular Contributor

Hi Rustyben

I have a cloud recording on the DVR now (SJ Sharks @ Ducks 10/28, it was never deleted).

It exhibits the same poor performance, which I guess is standard for a cloud recording, but I have no idea why it's a cloud recording, I don't think there were any outages during the time it would have been recorded.  Any idea why I'm getting these programs recorded on the "cloud" instead of my DVR, if I'm no where near full DVR capacity?

Thanks

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

I have a cloud recording on the DVR now (SJ Sharks @ Ducks 10/28, it was never deleted).

It exhibits the same poor performance, which I guess is standard for a cloud recording, but I have no idea why it's a cloud recording, I don't think there were any outages during the time it would have been recorded.  Any idea why I'm getting these programs recorded on the "cloud" instead of my DVR, if I'm no where near full DVR capacity?

This is the same exact problem I have reported with  various games since I got X1 service. Happens randomly-cloud versions-no reported outages.  Sometimes I am able to get the "dvr" recording by doing a restart..sometimes not.  The cloud recording is degraded and I am unable to watch at 2x,3x,4x without it being a choppy mess.
Regular Contributor

Cloud recordings are useless for hockey games, it's like watching pre-HD era TV, you can barely see the puck.

Video and sound quality are terrible, and like you said, FF functions are frustrating at best.

@tbill1 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

This is the same exact problem I have reported with  various games since I got X1 service. Happens randomly-cloud versions-no reported outages.  Sometimes I am able to get the "dvr" recording by doing a restart..sometimes not.  The cloud recording is degraded and I am unable to watch at 2x,3x,4x without it being a choppy mess.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

Thanks

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

OK don't delete the cloud recording. I'll flag this post so someone can check the logs.

Regular Visitor

I have a DVR model px001anc. Ever since they installed it after taking out the newer small DVR, I've had nothing but laggy High latency operation and all boxes. I have five remotes boxes, (2 are wireless) one DVR. They've been out three times checking signal and other things, they said it's great signal they ran rj11 cable and has tested beautifully,across the spectrum.

A system refresh eliminates the problem for about an hour then goes downhill. They have an additional DVR I forgot about as well in place of a remote box saying it has to be in place because of the amount of boxes totally.

Is this a refurbished equipment issue that is uncommon or is it a problem in general with software and or firmware?

Tired to the point of eliminating Comcast from the house.

Also have Gigabit internet and no phones
Expert

@LEO-Executive wrote:
I have a DVR model px001anc. Ever since they installed it after taking out the newer small DVR, I've had nothing but laggy High latency operation and all boxes. I have five remotes boxes, (2 are wireless) one DVR. They've been out three times checking signal and other things, they said it's great signal they ran rj11 cable and has tested beautifully,across the spectrum.

A system refresh eliminates the problem for about an hour then goes downhill. They have an additional DVR I forgot about as well in place of a remote box saying it has to be in place because of the amount of boxes totally.

Is this a refurbished equipment issue that is uncommon or is it a problem in general with software and or firmware?

Tired to the point of eliminating Comcast from the house.

Also have Gigabit internet and no phones

do you have a local Xfinity store? swap out that very old/slow/audio dropout issues version 1 DVR for a new version 4 (4k UHD capable).