Community Forum

X1 DVR

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

Ok, again...

Switched channels and the screen froze.

Now going on 10+ minutes to do a Refresh.

When is somebody going to address this post!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR


Gtummond wrote:

Ok, again...

Switched channels and the screen froze.

Now going on 10+ minutes to do a Refresh.

When is somebody going to address this post!


Sure sounds like you need a tech visit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

The link in the first post in this thread X1 DVR: Overview (includes a series of links to step-by-step DVR Help articles) does not work. It is broken.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR


pbrixey wrote:

The link in the first post in this thread X1 DVR: Overview (includes a series of links to step-by-step DVR Help articles) does not work. It is broken.


it appears that the post has been modified now.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


Gtummond wrote:

Ok, again...

Switched channels and the screen froze.

Now going on 10+ minutes to do a Refresh.

When is somebody going to address this post!


If it's this issue here, you're out of luck. I still have this problem on occasion. No one has figutred out root cause/solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Uj6YXIKbg

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR


steveoregon wrote:

Gtummond wrote:

Ok, again...

Switched channels and the screen froze.

Now going on 10+ minutes to do a Refresh.

When is somebody going to address this post!


If it's this issue here, you're out of luck. I still have this problem on occasion. No one has figutred out root cause/solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Uj6YXIKbg


Does rebooting the DVR clear this issue?  What is the model number of your DVR?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR not recording from the place that I start recording after a program starts

This has happened more than once so I thought I would see if anyone else has this problem.  Watching a program live and decide to record the rest of it.  Lets say its been on for 15 minutes and they announce something is 'coming on soon'  that I want to see but can't watch right now. I press record and the red recording  light comes on the box so all should be well but its not. When I go back to watch,  the only part I get is the very last few minutes  at the end of the program. The progress bar shows only the last  5 minutes and zooms from the beginning to the end of the bar as soon as I press 'watch'. Should I be using the guide to start the recording instead of the record button? To me it shouldn't make a difference. I just don't understand why its not recording the portion of the program from the point when I press 'record'.

 

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

Just reporting a quirk that has been happening a few times a month, for the past few months ....

 

I always record the NASCAR Cup races, so I can fast forward through commercials.  I usually start watching about 45 minutes into the race, so that it is still recording when I start watching the recording.  I occasionally pause the action when I have to leave the room.  Sometimes when I press play to resume watching, the DVR starts playing the recording from the beginning while the  progress bar shows shows the correct time into the recording.  Sometimes doing another pause and play will correct the problem and sometimes I have to exit the recording entirely before it will resume at the correct place in time.  Weird, isn't it?

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


ThomT wrote:

Just reporting a quirk that has been happening a few times a month, for the past few months ....

 

I always record the NASCAR Cup races, so I can fast forward through commercials.  I usually start watching about 45 minutes into the race, so that it is still recording when I start watching the recording.  I occasionally pause the action when I have to leave the room.  Sometimes when I press play to resume watching, the DVR starts playing the recording from the beginning while the  progress bar shows shows the correct time into the recording.  Sometimes doing another pause and play will correct the problem and sometimes I have to exit the recording entirely before it will resume at the correct place in time.  Weird, isn't it?


Happens to me all the time with many different recordings.  I think even when it's not still recording, but definitely more often then.  Also notice it more with long sporting events.

I just assumed i was the only one, given my 2 years of h... with X1 lack of server response, pixelization, error messages, etc., etc..

I have video of it just to prove I wasn't crazy.  Once it starts it tends to happen more and more often in that vewing session.

I'll skip ahead 30 sec and it will start playing some video from the beginning of the recording.  And as you said it generally fixes itself after skipping back or pausing and playing or rewinding or some other commands.

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

I noticed yesterday that a bunch of previously deleted recordings have inexplicably appeared on my DVR. What needs to happen to revert to the correct list of only non-deleted recordings?

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


commodore_dude wrote:

I noticed yesterday that a bunch of previously deleted recordings have inexplicably appeared on my DVR. What needs to happen to revert to the correct list of only non-deleted recordings?


The permanent solution is to switch to a different service.

 

Temporarily, you can find a Sync DVR option buried somewhere in the preferences, I think it's under device settings...

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

Yeah, I tried that option last night, as well as rebooting my DVR, with no luck. Ended up having to delete about 40 recordings by hand (strangely all from mid March to early April of this year).

Frequent Visitor

Lost Functionality

I switched from the old DVR box to the new X1 platform. There really doesn't seem to be a place to provide feedback to development. Or if there is, it's hard to find.

 

Things that I am disappointed with Xfinity

Lost functionality

  1. Loss of two tuners in the cable box. I use to be able to switch between two shows running, rewind/record either show and now... no more. We used this to get out of sync so that we could watch shows with the ability to scroll past all the commercials. 
  2. I tune in a channel for a show that I want to watch and leave the room. Half way through, I'm still busy so I decide to record the show and watch it later. Prior to the new box, when record was hit, it would record from the beginning. Now it only records from the point you hit record.
  3. Watching stored shows: I'm watching a show that is recorded on the DVR. Once the show is complete and returned to normal TV. If there's a show that I would like to see from the beginning, you cannot. Prior to the new box, you could.
  4. Missing Filters - try to pull up action HBO movies (without the voice command). The filter options are a joke.
  5. When you select the FREE option in the filters, then the results should be the ones that are truly FREE.
  6. Program display list for a channel. Prior to the new box, if you wanted to see shows in the future you could display them in a list format going down the page (8 - 10 shows). Now if you want to see shows in the future. You have to scroll right or hit the fast forward button but it now only displays 2 or 3 shows (depending upon duration). 
  7. Previous channel - use to be one button, now it's hit last, scroll, enter. I like the ability of the new function but prefer the old quick method.
  8. Too many clicks to accomplish a task. For example, I have a show DVR'd, why does it ask me if I want to watch the FREE show on DVR, or On Demand or BUY... why is it asking? R&D should always remember "keystrokes are a sin". I'll always take functional over pretty every time. 
  9. Lost the ability to save a show from deleting unless I chose to delete it.
  10. Voice command - if you search for a show in the future (because you want to record it). It becomes very confusing because you're now prompted if you want to BUY it with no option to record it when it plays in a week or two for free!

Things I do like

  1. Voice command 
  2. 6 channel recording
  3. Pull up shows accidentally deleted
  4. Repeating recording options are better but lost the ability to store a show until I delete.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

AutoDelete episodes doesn’t work. I set to keep only 5 for all series recordings but nothing is getting deleted. I have some series’s that have 20+ recordings right now and i imagine would keep going if I didn’t manually delete. The process I use to setup recordings is as follows:

- Select tv show from guide
- Select record
- Select all episodes
- Record: new episodes only
- Save: Until space is needed
- Keep: Only 5 episodes

Thanks for any assistance.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR


@ashd84 wrote:
AutoDelete episodes doesn’t work. I set to keep only 5 for all series recordings but nothing is getting deleted. I have some series’s that have 20+ recordings right now and i imagine would keep going if I didn’t manually delete. The process I use to setup recordings is as follows:

- Select tv show from guide
- Select record
- Select all episodes
- Record: new episodes only
- Save: Until space is needed
- Keep: Only 5 episodes

Thanks for any assistance.

This is a VERY LONG thread.  Please start a new thread with an Auto Delete title.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes

For the 2nd time that I've notced this year, series recording of NASCAR Monster Energy races are not handled properly.  Today's race (8/18) was scheduled to begin at 7:30 ET.  My series recording was scheduled.  Due to possible rain in the area, the reace start was moved to 6:30 ET.  The Guide reflects the change.  However the race is no longer scheduled to record.  It shows in Scheduled recordings at the original time, but in the guide at the new time, it shows that it isn't scheduled to record.  When I selected an individual recording, I get the same prompts as if it was never scheduled.  Come on COMCAST, get this fixed!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes

Comcast has no control over changes in the schedule; they are controlled by the content providers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes


@RobertWy wrote:

Comcast has no control over changes in the schedule; they are controlled by the content providers.


You're missing the point.  I know that Comcast doesn't control TV schedules.  

 

The schedule changed and Comcast was somehow made aware of it since the Guide reflected the new time.  However their process is not complete since the change was not promoted to the mechanism that they use to schedule recordings.  See my original comment.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes


@ThomT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Comcast has no control over changes in the schedule; they are controlled by the content providers.


You're missing the point.  I know that Comcast doesn't control TV schedules.  

 

The schedule changed and Comcast was somehow made aware of it since the Guide reflected the new time.  However their process is not complete since the change was not promoted to the mechanism that they use to schedule recordings.  See my original comment.


I do not pretend to know how Comcast manages this issue, but it seems that if the provider makes a change after Comcast updates their end, Comcast might not be notified by the provider.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes


@RobertWy wrote:

@ThomT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Comcast has no control over changes in the schedule; they are controlled by the content providers.


You're missing the point.  I know that Comcast doesn't control TV schedules.  

 

The schedule changed and Comcast was somehow made aware of it since the Guide reflected the new time.  However their process is not complete since the change was not promoted to the mechanism that they use to schedule recordings.  See my original comment.


I do not pretend to know how Comcast manages this issue, but it seems that if the provider makes a change after Comcast updates their end, Comcast might not be notified by the provider.


They had the information required, they changed the Guide.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR - Not recording NASCAR when schedule changes


@ThomT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ThomT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Comcast has no control over changes in the schedule; they are controlled by the content providers.


You're missing the point.  I know that Comcast doesn't control TV schedules.  

 

The schedule changed and Comcast was somehow made aware of it since the Guide reflected the new time.  However their process is not complete since the change was not promoted to the mechanism that they use to schedule recordings.  See my original comment.


I do not pretend to know how Comcast manages this issue, but it seems that if the provider makes a change after Comcast updates their end, Comcast might not be notified by the provider.


They had the information required, they changed the Guide.


Then you know more than I do.  Just trying to help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process

Please be patient with me as I describe a critical and toally dumbfounding  issue of a  total breakdown in the DVR scheduling / recording process. I was not sure which forum topic to post  but decided to start with X1 DVR. If a Rep finds a better place for it PLEASE  let me know where it has been moved to.

 

When we upgraded to the new Super Triple Play in July 2018 we were aware  we would lose some channels like WGN and OXY and  have been dealing with it  and thanks to now having NETLIX we can  watch previous episodes  of  beloved programs.   Because of what I am going to describe I need to say that NICK  was not removed from our channel lineup and we have never  watched or set anything to record from NICK….never ever.

 

As a result of the channel changes we decided to set our Guide preference to ‘Free To Me’ so that we can’t see the removed channels on the guide at all. I need to state that the guide preferences are now changing on their own from time to time which is disconcerting. I am the only person who makes any changes to the settings or sets/modifies  series recordings…..…trust me on this.

 

All was well until the 2018 Fall season started.  We have a  plethora of programs set to record  series ‘new episodes only’ as Preferred HD. We have always been mindful of the number of recordings scheduled for any time period so as not to exceed the number of programs recording limit and I  frequently go thru the two weeks of scheduled recordings to make sure we are good to go and make adjustments where necessary.  Prior  to upgrading our package I  recognized that sometimes due to some ‘network labeling  process’ we have seen shows scheduled to record that are repeats and learned to deal with that and I  would cancel the few repeats.  From experience the repeats were scheduled on channels other than the major network channel (NBC, FOX, ABC OR CBS) where  new episodes were  broadcast.

 

Something horrific has happened and we now have dozens of continual repeats for many of our scheduled series recordings that broadcast on the 5 major networks. The   majority of these repeats are scheduled to record on channels that are no longer available to us as a result of the new package lineup.  Examples: Blue Bloods (CBS) on WGN, NCIS (CBS) on OXY, Chicago PD (NBC) on OXY.  As you can see this is not just one network being affected. To make this even more worrisome the worst offender is  dozens of Mom (CBS) and Goldbergs (ABC) being scheduled and recorded (If I fail to cancel them) on NICK which is still on our channel lineup.  As  I  said  we NEVER watch or record anything  from NICK. Mom is shown  back to back  hour after hour  over and over .  Its almost comical to see so many of them. I have spent a great deal  of time going through the scheduled recordings cancelling dozens and dozens of programs.  I realize that the repeats on WGN and OXY should not record ( and I have tested this) since we no longer have access to those channels BUT seeing all those repeats scheduled is a mess for anyone looking at the scheduled programs so at least having the ‘cancelled’ red label next to them makes life easier but boy is it time consuming. In  the case of Mom and the Goldbergs I have to make sure they are ALL cancelled since they WILL record.  Of course as I cancel any program they pop right back up again as  the calendar progresses  and new days show up on the schedule.


There is not even any consistency to which cable networks are showing/ mis labeling the repeats.  WGN is owned by Tribune Broadcasting. Oxygen is owned by NBC Universal. NICK is owned by  Viacom.

 

I have tried to do all the research I can to document this  anomaly clearly  and am shocked if I am the ONLY one to experience/report this.  I have not contacted Customer Service  because I cannot even imagine trying to explain all this verbally. I am starting with the forums and need some guidance and tell me what  to do  next. I am a long time (and vocal....lol) member of these forums as many of the Reps and members are well aware of and it has always been difficult for various  reasons to get platform issues ‘moved up the ladder’ BUT this one is over the top . It is not just an inconvenience or minor issue.

 

And yes I have rebooted,  restarted, synced the DVR....blah blah blah.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Expert

Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process

terri, pick one of the programs. find the next recording that you actually want to record (like bluebloods), and note the date, channel, and time. remove the series recording that is currently in place. go to the guide for the date/channel/time you noted and record from the guide selecting 'that channel only', and confirm it. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process


@Rustyben wrote:

terri, pick one of the programs. find the next recording that you actually want to record (like bluebloods), and note the date, channel, and time. remove the series recording that is currently in place. go to the guide for the date/channel/time you noted and record from the guide selecting 'that channel only', and confirm it. 


I appreciate your suggestion but are you suggesting that I record   each program each time it is on and not use series recording 'new episodes only'? Also if I use 'XXX channel only' I would not be able to record in HD and would not be able to use Smart Resume.  We have dozens and dozens of program series recordings set and I cannot even fathom setting recordings every day for each program.  That is just not doable and pretty much defeats paying for a DVR and defeats the entire purpose of scheduling  series recordings which is a basic X1 feature .

 

The beauty of series recordings is to 'set it and forget it' which is why it was developed in the first place . When out of town and especially on a two week vacation its a blessing and even if we wanted to take precious vaacay time  to  find a WIFI connection and  do it one day at a time when not home...we could not longer do that since the remote recording feature is no more.

 

Aside from that let me share what happens if I do what you suggested. Blue Bloods new season starts tonight and in my research and experimentation on the bigger issue I  apparently cancelled the series recording so thanks for suggesting I experiment with that particular program or I would never have known it.  I tried so many options trying to fix the issue.

 

I just went to the guide to  record tonight's episode singly and of course it shows CBS.  I cancelled that and chose  all new episodes and guess what? In the choices it doesn't even have CBS listed and the  choices were 'SD preferred, HD preferred and  WGNHD.......OMG.  This confirms that the process is totally broken.   I cancelled and tried again and same thing. I am more dumbfounded than ever.

 

The issue I described in the original post is HUGE.  I hope you really understand the scenario I described originally. A long and tedious  workaround process is not in the slightest bit acceptable in this case but your input is appreciated.

Regular Visitor

Why Did You Delete My Super Bowl Recordings??????

As an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan, one of my greatest pleasures was to frequently watch the Super Bowl, and post game activities, which I recorded on two separate X1 DVRs at two different locations on February 4, 2018.

 

I was outraged to find that when I  recently attempted to view these recordings, they were no longer available and had been deleted by Xfinity.

 

I am not quite sure why you found the need to delete any recording over a certain age aithout my authorization and notice that these recordings owould be deleted without warning. I assumed the X1 system retained any recorded programming indefinitely as long as the hard drive was not full.

 

I believe you will soon be  hearing from a lot of angry sports fans after they find out a treasured recording was removed unexpectedly and without warning. I purposely never allowed either of my X1 boxes to be filled to capacity for fear of losing these recordings. Maybe you should let your subscribers know that. Another example of poor customer service.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Why Did You Delete My Super Bowl Recordings??????


@cantz wrote:

As an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan, one of my greatest pleasures was to frequently watch the Super Bowl, and post game activities, which I recorded on two separate X1 DVRs at two different locations on February 4, 2018.

 

I was outraged to find that when I  recently attempted to view these recordings, they were no longer available and had been deleted by Xfinity.

 

I am not quite sure why you found the need to delete any recording over a certain age aithout my authorization and notice that these recordings owould be deleted without warning. I assumed the X1 system retained any recorded programming indefinitely as long as the hard drive was not full.

 

I believe you will soon be  hearing from a lot of angry sports fans after they find out a treasured recording was removed unexpectedly and without warning. I purposely never allowed either of my X1 boxes to be filled to capacity for fear of losing these recordings. Maybe you should let your subscribers know that. Another example of poor customer service.


The maximum time I believe is one year for storage on the hard drive but if the hard drive gets to a certain 'fill level' its going to delete the oldest to make room. You might want to check your settings for storage  Comcast has its faults but purposely removing DVR recording that reside on the hard drive is not something I could ever imagine them doing. Just my thoughts.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Why Did You Delete My Super Bowl Recordings??????


@cantz wrote:

As an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan, one of my greatest pleasures was to frequently watch the Super Bowl, and post game activities, which I recorded on two separate X1 DVRs at two different locations on February 4, 2018.

 

I was outraged to find that when I  recently attempted to view these recordings, they were no longer available and had been deleted by Xfinity.

 

I am not quite sure why you found the need to delete any recording over a certain age aithout my authorization and notice that these recordings owould be deleted without warning. I assumed the X1 system retained any recorded programming indefinitely as long as the hard drive was not full.

 

I believe you will soon be  hearing from a lot of angry sports fans after they find out a treasured recording was removed unexpectedly and without warning. I purposely never allowed either of my X1 boxes to be filled to capacity for fear of losing these recordings. Maybe you should let your subscribers know that. Another example of poor customer service.


The maximum time I believe is one year for storage on the hard drive so your situation is puzzling but if the hard drive gets to a certain 'fill level' its going to delete the oldest to make room. You might want to check your settings for storage  Comcast has its faults but purposely removing DVR recording that reside on the hard drive is not something I could ever imagine them doing. Just my thoughts.

Did you check at the end of the recordings list for 'recently deleted' to see if its there and by chance someone accidently deleted it? If its there you can restore it.

Regular Visitor

Re: Why Did You Delete My Super Bowl Recordings??????

Terri,

Thanks for your suggestion about checking my recently deleted shows, but the Super Bowl is not there either. 

I should mention that I have two separate Xfinity accounts at two different homes. One of the homes is an infrequently used vacation home and was only at approximately 16% of disk capacity. The Super Bowl was recorded and watched on multiple occasions at both of these locastions as recently as two weeks ago.  Due to my interest in that game, I took great pains to preserve them and ensured that there was plenty of disk space on the X1 to ensure they would not be accidentally deleted or recorded over due to lack of disk space.  It seems strange to me that both recordings have disappeared within the same narrow time frame. 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Why Did You Delete My Super Bowl Recordings??????


@cantz wrote:

Terri,

Thanks for your suggestion about checking my recently deleted shows, but the Super Bowl is not there either. 

I should mention that I have two separate Xfinity accounts at two different homes. One of the homes is an infrequently used vacation home and was only at approximately 16% of disk capacity. The Super Bowl was recorded and watched on multiple occasions at both of these locastions as recently as two weeks ago.  Due to my interest in that game, I took great pains to preserve them and ensured that there was plenty of disk space on the X1 to ensure they would not be accidentally deleted or recorded over due to lack of disk space.  It seems strange to me that both recordings have disappeared within the same narrow time frame. 

==

Yes it is strange indeed.  If it had been over a year then we would know why they disappeared.  Too late now but you should have burned the game onto a DVD for posterity.  I am trying real hard to sympathize with your loss...real hard...because I live in Northern Va and was born and raised here and was born wearing burgundy and gold.


 

Expert

X1 Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

terri, pick one of the programs. find the next recording that you actually want to record (like bluebloods), and note the date, channel, and time. remove the series recording that is currently in place. go to the guide for the date/channel/time you noted and record from the guide selecting 'that channel only', and confirm it. 


I appreciate your suggestion but are you suggesting that I record   each program each time it is on and not use series recording 'new episodes only'? Also if I use 'XXX channel only' I would not be able to record in HD and would not be able to use Smart Resume.  We have dozens and dozens of program series recordings set and I cannot even fathom setting recordings every day for each program.  That is just not doable and pretty much defeats paying for a DVR and defeats the entire purpose of scheduling  series recordings which is a basic X1 feature .

 

The beauty of series recordings is to 'set it and forget it' which is why it was developed in the first place . When out of town and especially on a two week vacation its a blessing and even if we wanted to take precious vaacay time  to  find a WIFI connection and  do it one day at a time when not home...we could not longer do that since the remote recording feature is no more.

 

Aside from that let me share what happens if I do what you suggested. Blue Bloods new season starts tonight and in my research and experimentation on the bigger issue I  apparently cancelled the series recording so thanks for suggesting I experiment with that particular program or I would never have known it.  I tried so many options trying to fix the issue.

 

I just went to the guide to  record tonight's episode singly and of course it shows CBS.  I cancelled that and chose  all new episodes and guess what? In the choices it doesn't even have CBS listed and the  choices were 'SD preferred, HD preferred and  WGNHD.......OMG.  This confirms that the process is totally broken.   I cancelled and tried again and same thing. I am more dumbfounded than ever.

 

The issue I described in the original post is HUGE.  I hope you really understand the scenario I described originally. A long and tedious  workaround process is not in the slightest bit acceptable in this case but your input is appreciated.


you did it the right way (but be sure to 'note' the HD channel and set a series reocording not a single recording for 'that channel only' as in your example. that way the scheduler program won't be looking for the other syndicated shows that may show 'new' or not show repeat and clutter up your recordings. that is the best practices in setting current 'new' seasons of recordings.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process

@Rustyben


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

terri, pick one of the programs. find the next recording that you actually want to record (like bluebloods), and note the date, channel, and time. remove the series recording that is currently in place. go to the guide for the date/channel/time you noted and record from the guide selecting 'that channel only', and confirm it. 


I appreciate your suggestion but are you suggesting that I record   each program each time it is on and not use series recording 'new episodes only'? Also if I use 'XXX channel only' I would not be able to record in HD and would not be able to use Smart Resume.  We have dozens and dozens of program series recordings set and I cannot even fathom setting recordings every day for each program.  That is just not doable and pretty much defeats paying for a DVR and defeats the entire purpose of scheduling  series recordings which is a basic X1 feature .

 

The beauty of series recordings is to 'set it and forget it' which is why it was developed in the first place . When out of town and especially on a two week vacation its a blessing and even if we wanted to take precious vaacay time  to  find a WIFI connection and  do it one day at a time when not home...we could not longer do that since the remote recording feature is no more.

 

Aside from that let me share what happens if I do what you suggested. Blue Bloods new season starts tonight and in my research and experimentation on the bigger issue I  apparently cancelled the series recording so thanks for suggesting I experiment with that particular program or I would never have known it.  I tried so many options trying to fix the issue.

 

I just went to the guide to  record tonight's episode singly and of course it shows CBS.  I cancelled that and chose  all new episodes and guess what? In the choices it doesn't even have CBS listed and the  choices were 'SD preferred, HD preferred and  WGNHD.......OMG.  This confirms that the process is totally broken.   I cancelled and tried again and same thing. I am more dumbfounded than ever.

 

The issue I described in the original post is HUGE.  I hope you really understand the scenario I described originally. A long and tedious  workaround process is not in the slightest bit acceptable in this case but your input is appreciated.


you did it the right way (but be sure to 'note' the HD channel and set a series reocording not a single recording for 'that channel only' as in your example. that way the scheduler program won't be looking for the other syndicated shows that may show 'new' or not show repeat and clutter up your recordings. that is the best practices in setting current 'new' seasons of recordings.


@Rustyben

 

I really need to have a Comcast rep read my issue and get me in contact with someone who can help with this mess. Its 99% because of losing certain channels due to the 'redo' of the bundles.  The DVR functionality does not seem to recognize that those channels are no longer available to record . Its not right that I to have to do a huge workaround and delete dozens of shows that are cluter and change the way I schedule recordings by avoiding 'HD preferred' . Who in your opinion would be the best Comcast Rep for me to contact? Appears that  other than you no one cares at all and I appreciate your posts but I need someone to look onto  'repairing' the root cause.

Thanks

Expert

Re: X1 Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process

terriB the 'hd only' can be set in your preferences (best resolution). the best way to get 'a' program is to find in the guide and record from there on the channel you actually wish to record. it is easy and will only be that channel.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 Re: Total breakdown in DVR scheduling/recording process


@Rustyben wrote:

terriB the 'hd only' can be set in your preferences (best resolution). the best way to get 'a' program is to find in the guide and record from there on the channel you actually wish to record. it is easy and will only be that channel.


==

 

Once upon a time I set it for 'hd only' and it created another mess but I cannot recall what it was and not taking that chance again. I always record from the guide for series recordings and for new episodes only. This has created a few hiccups on 'repeats due to network labeling  but nothing I could not handle.  The bottom line this time is that no program on a channel I don't have anymore should be showing up on the scheduled list when I have the guide set to 'free to me' and can't even see those channels. I have spent way too much time cancelling those  programs showing up on the scheduled list  and doing workarounds.  Those programs  showed up hour after hour after hour on  the scheduled list.  When Comcast removed certain channels on my new Super Triple Play they didn't do something right to keep those from being scheduled....period. This is not an anomaly.  I have done so much to stop this from happening and its just ridiculous. Someone needs to look into what happened and fix it.

Most Valued Poster

Guide not 'marking' scheduled programs

My scheduled recordings list shows all the correct future recordings but the guide itself is not showing the 'red marking' for many of them. We have had series recordings set for many seasons but in the past week or so some are not being 'marked'. Not being 100% trusting we find ourselves going to the scheduled list often to make sure the programs are set to record and its annoying to have to do that. Why aren't they being 'marked' on the guide?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Guide not 'marking' scheduled programs


@TerriB wrote:

My scheduled recordings list shows all the correct future recordings but the guide itself is not showing the 'red marking' for many of them. We have had series recordings set for many seasons but in the past week or so some are not being 'marked'. Not being 100% trusting we find ourselves going to the scheduled list often to make sure the programs are set to record and its annoying to have to do that. Why aren't they being 'marked' on the guide?


Can you give us an example of a series recording that is not marked?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide not 'marking' scheduled programs


@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

My scheduled recordings list shows all the correct future recordings but the guide itself is not showing the 'red marking' for many of them. We have had series recordings set for many seasons but in the past week or so some are not being 'marked'. Not being 100% trusting we find ourselves going to the scheduled list often to make sure the programs are set to record and its annoying to have to do that. Why aren't they being 'marked' on the guide?


Can you give us an example of a series recording that is not marked?


I can give you tons of them but lets do all the new episodes from tonight.  Empire on Fox, Chicago Pd, Med, Fire on NBC,  Criminal Minds on CBS, American Housewife and Modern Family on ABC.  They show up on the scheduled list but not marked on the guide.  Every night of the week has this happens with most shows lately. 

 

Edit: Just thought I would mention that CBS This Morning , The View on  ABC and Survivor on CBS did/do show 'marked' for today.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

Hi folks,

I am generally happy with my DVR except for a recent issue.  Most of my shows record as is and very little issue in the quality of the recording.  However, last weekend and this weekend, I tried recording my local NFL game (Seahawks) just like I always have.  However, the recording was only 6 minutes of a scheduled 3 hour game.  I didn't get to see kickoff and my game is forever lost.  This makes no sense to me since other recordings work and besides the past two weekends, the game records as expected.  Note, this is not a series recording, I just select to record the indivudual games.  Also note, I have the latest boxes that I received less than 6 months ago - again, no issues and yes, I have hard rebooted the box.  Anyone out there know anything I can do before I kick this service to the curb?

Tags (4)
Expert

Re: X1 DVR


@Jeff5150 wrote:

Hi folks,

I am generally happy with my DVR except for a recent issue.  Most of my shows record as is and very little issue in the quality of the recording.  However, last weekend and this weekend, I tried recording my local NFL game (Seahawks) just like I always have.  However, the recording was only 6 minutes of a scheduled 3 hour game.  I didn't get to see kickoff and my game is forever lost.  This makes no sense to me since other recordings work and besides the past two weekends, the game records as expected.  Note, this is not a series recording, I just select to record the indivudual games.  Also note, I have the latest boxes that I received less than 6 months ago - again, no issues and yes, I have hard rebooted the box.  Anyone out there know anything I can do before I kick this service to the curb?


the short recording you were trying to watch, were you trying to watch it using a smart device or an X1 set top box? 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR


@Jeff5150 wrote:

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.


start playing the recording. when the navigation bar self-removes press the OK button. upper left corner where word DVR is displayed, is there a little white cloud icon in front of it?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR

Yes, it has a cloud.  Also, the recording itself says its only 7 minutes long.  i.e. it doesn't say its the whole recording and only plays some of it.  It literally only recorded 7 minutes.  Also note, DVR is just 70% full.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR


@Jeff5150 wrote:

Yes, it has a cloud.  Also, the recording itself says its only 7 minutes long.  i.e. it doesn't say its the whole recording and only plays some of it.  It literally only recorded 7 minutes.  Also note, DVR is just 70% full.


using the Xfinity TV Remote app 'my recordinds' does the recording show up? (that is a list of what is physically on the DVR). 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

Yes, it has a cloud.  Also, the recording itself says its only 7 minutes long.  i.e. it doesn't say its the whole recording and only plays some of it.  It literally only recorded 7 minutes.  Also note, DVR is just 70% full.


using the Xfinity TV Remote app 'my recordinds' does the recording show up? (that is a list of what is physically on the DVR). 


I had the same problem yesterday.  Tried to record 2 football games-Noticed immediately they were cloud recordings.  Deleted and reset the recordings and noticed they were about 6 minutes long. This even happened when I saw on the playback  there was 3 hours remainingto be recorded. Just stopped after 6 minutes. Even recorded 3 "house hunters" and 2 were 6 minutes long.  I kept doing restarts of the box and it still kept happening-either from setting it on the guide or directly on the channel. Finally cleared up last night.

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 DVR


@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.


start playing the recording. when the navigation bar self-removes press the OK button. upper left corner where word DVR is displayed, is there a little white cloud icon in front of it?


====

Are we  all supposed to  have our recordings on the cloud?  I just tried to do what you told Jeff to do to see if the cloud icon is on the recording and I don't have a cloud icon. Why? Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.


start playing the recording. when the navigation bar self-removes press the OK button. upper left corner where word DVR is displayed, is there a little white cloud icon in front of it?


====

Are we  all supposed to  have our recordings on the cloud?  I just tried to do what you told Jeff to do to see if the cloud icon is on the recording and I don't have a cloud icon. Why? Thanks


You don't want a cloud recording-especially on games.  The picture is degraded somewhat and fast forward is choppy.

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 DVR


@tbill1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.


start playing the recording. when the navigation bar self-removes press the OK button. upper left corner where word DVR is displayed, is there a little white cloud icon in front of it?


====

Are we  all supposed to  have our recordings on the cloud?  I just tried to do what you told Jeff to do to see if the cloud icon is on the recording and I don't have a cloud icon. Why? Thanks


You don't want a cloud recording-especially on games.  The picture is degraded somewhat and fast forward is choppy.


========

I have never cared about the cloud at all but when I saw the instructions to see if a recording is on the cloud I assumed I should have it too.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


@TerriB wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

The X1 main DVR box, same box the recording was requested on.


start playing the recording. when the navigation bar self-removes press the OK button. upper left corner where word DVR is displayed, is there a little white cloud icon in front of it?


====

Are we  all supposed to  have our recordings on the cloud?  I just tried to do what you told Jeff to do to see if the cloud icon is on the recording and I don't have a cloud icon. Why? Thanks


You don't want a cloud recording-especially on games.  The picture is degraded somewhat and fast forward is choppy.


========

I have never cared about the cloud at all but when I saw the instructions to see if a recording is on the cloud I assumed I should have it too.


It's my understanding that  a recording coming from the cloud means there was a problem with your original set recording.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR

or just didn't record locally.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 DVR


@Rustyben wrote:

or just didn't record locally.


==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

or just didn't record locally.


==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.


It's useless if you only watch from your DVR/TV