Community Forum

X1 DVR

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

This is only my third day with X1 Triple Play but If viewing TV Comcast does give you a warning about an upcoming update and gives one the option to delay same. I'm a night-owl. Now if only my system was working correctly 100% of the time ... rather than about 50%,

Thanks!

Expert

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

@RNdaSilva wrote:

This is only my third day with X1 Triple Play but If viewing TV Comcast does give you a warning about an upcoming update and gives one the option to delay same. I'm a night-owl. Now if only my system was working correctly 100% of the time ... rather than about 50%,

Thanks!

were you watching an x1 DVR or a satellite box? If watching a DVR the system will pop up message you offering to delay. If you are watching a companion at that time of night you won't see the message and if the companion is not an xg2 when teh DVR reboots the companion will lose temporarily its contact with live and recorded programming without a notice that the DVR is about to reboot. A fix for this depends on your habits. At late night if you are using the companion to watch recorded shows, perhaps switching places for the DVR to your late night viewing TV would allow you to see the message. If the late night viewing is usually live TV then swapping that device out for an XG2 (not a DVR but has its own tuner) might fix your problem/issue. While in your home, you can also view all of your content on any smart device or a desk/laptop as an alternative.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 DVR

My X1 DVR records the first 90 seconds of the previous show, and cuts of the last 90 seconds of the show I want. I chatted with customer service but as always so guy in India is asking questions instead of providing a solution. You guys have a great product but customer service is horrible. No matter how many ads you run talking about you "new culture" of service, it's not getting better. Once again, like I did 7 years ago, I will terminate service at the end of my contract,

Gold Problem Solver

This issue in not entirely Comcast's fault. The broadcasters have some responsibility in this. However there is a new feature in the Comcast Labs section of the menu called Auto Pad. I suggest you find it and turn it on. Your recordings will start early but they should not end early.

If you wish to learn about this, there are fairly recent threads running in this forum covering this topic.

@Glapple wrote:

My X1 DVR records the first 90 seconds of the previous show, and cuts of the last 90 seconds of the show I want. I chatted with customer service but as always so guy in India is asking questions instead of providing a solution. You guys have a great product but customer service is horrible. No matter how many ads you run talking about you "new culture" of service, it's not getting better. Once again, like I did 7 years ago, I will terminate service at the end of my contract,

Frequent Visitor

On X1 DVR, the "Recorded" list shown on the TV has never matched the similar list on Internet (browser) or app (Android tablet and Android phone). In fact, online DVR Manager list is slightly different from that seen on TV through main settop box. Shouldn't all of these views be the same? Chat support did restarts/resets and then I did my own and on advice of a chat agent, re-paired the remote. Then it was escalated to tier 2 who closed the ticket after not making all these lists match. Now a tech is going to be sent out for no reason I can discern since the issue appears to be on your end entirely.

The online/app view has far fewer recordings showing and seems to have a much smaller capacity based on the differing percentage used figures. For one thing, all online/app old recordings got wiped out about a week ago, but they are all still visible on TV and DVR Manager.

Am I not understanding something, or is something wrong?

Expert

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

On X1 DVR, the "Recorded" list shown on the TV has never matched the similar list on Internet (browser) or app (Android tablet and Android phone). In fact, online DVR Manager list is slightly different from that seen on TV through main settop box. Shouldn't all of these views be the same? Chat support did restarts/resets and then I did my own and on advice of a chat agent, re-paired the remote. Then it was escalated to tier 2 who closed the ticket after not making all these lists match. Now a tech is going to be sent out for no reason I can discern since the issue appears to be on your end entirely.

The online/app view has far fewer recordings showing and seems to have a much smaller capacity based on the differing percentage used figures. For one thing, all online/app old recordings got wiped out about a week ago, but they are all still visible on TV and DVR Manager.

Am I not understanding something, or is something wrong?

your cloud DVR will only show assets available to watch that have been recorded on the cloud DVR. Your X1 set top boxes show as assets all recordings combined for DVRs (physical in home) AND cloud DVR. If your local DVR(s) missed recording a scheduled show the asset will show as a regular recording on your home set top box and play much like the response to an on-demand program. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

So, it is then correct for the online/app view (I guess that means cloud view even though we see it in browser, not necessarily by app) to not have all the DVR recordings listed? That is, the lists do not ever synch up? Is there a way to watch stuff remotely that the settop view has but is not showing in the cloud? 

What was the reason all online (that is, stuff that showed in the browser ) stuff got wiped out and restarted last week? One rep reported seeing a cloud setup done last week  (though we didn't know we'd done anything that would make that happen), even though we'd had many things showing online for months, it appears the cloud setup may have wiped them out.

Also,  the online/app (?cloud) capacity seems much less than the settop view, so which one getting short on space triggers dumping of old recordings? Both, maybe, for each view separately?

Silver Problem Solver

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

So, it is then correct for the online/app view (I guess that means cloud view even though we see it in browser, not necessarily by app) to not have all the DVR recordings listed? That is, the lists do not ever synch up? Is there a way to watch stuff remotely that the settop view has but is not showing in the cloud? 

What was the reason all online (that is, stuff that showed in the browser ) stuff got wiped out and restarted last week? One rep reported seeing a cloud setup done last week  (though we didn't know we'd done anything that would make that happen), even though we'd had many things showing online for months, it appears the cloud setup may have wiped them out.

Also,  the online/app (?cloud) capacity seems much less than the settop view, so which one getting short on space triggers dumping of old recordings? Both, maybe, for each view separately?

The only time my Cloud is significantly different than my DVR is when there were some old recordings in my Cloud that hadn't been deleted for some reason.  Most of them were almost a year old.  I used this view and deleted them.  Once I had done that, the space agreed with my DVR.

https://tv.xfinity.com/recordings

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

OK, my best theory is that I have something like that, but reversed where my settop list has always been much bigger than onine/cloud. That is, maybe I was running for months without an official cloud setup, resulting in online/semicloud being (partially) stored and accessible, which was then wiped out by last week's cloud setup. It still seems strange to me that the cloud capacity is MUCH smaller than the settop box capacity. BTW, is the list and capacity shown through settop box actually stored locally on the box or is it somewhere in Comcast's servers?

Expert

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

OK, my best theory is that I have something like that, but reversed where my settop list has always been much bigger than onine/cloud. That is, maybe I was running for months without an official cloud setup, resulting in online/semicloud being (partially) stored and accessible, which was then wiped out by last week's cloud setup. It still seems strange to me that the cloud capacity is MUCH smaller than the settop box capacity. BTW, is the list and capacity shown through settop box actually stored locally on the box or is it somewhere in Comcast's servers?

with 3 DVRs tech support said my total cloud space is 1.1 TB while the 3 DVRs have total of 1.5 TB for a 25% less provision in the Cloud DVR. Each file has a 'size' in comcast's directoy and that is what they use to determine used space.

Frequent Visitor

OK. It looks like my situation where the cloud is much smaller in capacity than the settop boxes (I have 1 main, 2 dvr dtas--one not in the system until recently, plus one old style non-dvr dta) are is unusal. I'm letting the tech come today just so I can show them the situation and they can explain how it is normal  if it is normal and fix it if it is not. It's too bad Comcast has no person that can be reached in chat or by voice to tell me without such a trip here, but it's their choice to send someone out. That's been Comcast's way for years.

Silver Problem Solver

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

OK. It looks like my situation where the cloud is much smaller in capacity than the settop boxes (I have 1 main, 2 dvr dtas--one not in the system until recently, plus one old style non-dvr dta) are is unusal. I'm letting the tech come today just so I can show them the situation and they can explain how it is normal  if it is normal and fix it if it is not. It's too bad Comcast has no person that can be reached in chat or by voice to tell me without such a trip here, but it's their choice to send someone out. That's been Comcast's way for years.

Cloud is for X1 DVR's only.  It doesn't matter how many other Comcast STB's you have, including DTA's.  I have two X1 DVR's. twp XG2 companions, and one HD DTA.

My Cloud storage is approximately 500 + 500 MB.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

The tech visit came ontime Friday, and went about as expected on my issue: that roughly being, "Yes, that's how it works, currently. Cloud and box are not perfectly synched yet; but we're getting better." There was no telling what sort of apparent non-(official)cloud online storage I'd had that got wiped out when official cloud got set up, but  what matters is that it all is working since then. If you are right that myCloud is just 1gig capacity, then I'm hoping Comcast will upgrade to a more reasonable level soon. 

What was really great about the tech, though, was after confirming all of that in a few minutes he then did a thorough tech check from pole at street and found an exterior length of cable with signs of weathering and replaced it. So I do now have certainty that my end is up to snuff.

I would not be surprised if my settop DVR box, just gotten in May, is higher in capacity than older ones, but even the 1+ terabyte you report is way bigger than the online 1 gig. FWIW, my prior unofficial online list that was more complete seemed to have almost 50% of the capacity of my box. I tend to run at 55-70% on my box, with about 3-5% stored and usually watched/deleted per day on about 2-5 hrs of HD stored a day.

Silver Problem Solver

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

The tech visit came ontime Friday, and went about as expected on my issue: that roughly being, "Yes, that's how it works, currently. Cloud and box are not perfectly synched yet; but we're getting better." There was no telling what sort of apparent non-(official)cloud online storage I'd had that got wiped out when official cloud got set up, but  what matters is that it all is working since then. If you are right that myCloud is just 1gig capacity, then I'm hoping Comcast will upgrade to a more reasonable level soon. 

What was really great about the tech, though, was after confirming all of that in a few minutes he then did a thorough tech check from pole at street and found an exterior length of cable with signs of weathering and replaced it. So I do now have certainty that my end is up to snuff.

I would not be surprised if my settop DVR box, just gotten in May, is higher in capacity than older ones, but even the 1+ terabyte you report is way bigger than the online 1 gig. FWIW, my prior unofficial online list that was more complete seemed to have almost 50% of the capacity of my box. I tend to run at 55-70% on my box, with about 3-5% stored and usually watched/deleted per day on about 2-5 hrs of HD stored a day.

FYI, all X1 boxes are advertised as having 500GB of storage.  I have not seen any mention of any larger HDD's.  And I doubt Comcast has any motivation to increase the storage because they might go to ALL cloud with no HDD.

Frequent Visitor

500GB makes much better sense. I'm slightly surprised that all the recording I've done would fit in 500GB, but this site shows it might well:

http://toolstud.io/video/filesize.php

as it puts a half hour of 1280x720 at a file size of several gigs--though I'm not claiming accuracy for that site, it's just what came up first in 20 seconds worth of Googling. Still, I'd hope that 500GB could be doubled soon, both online and in box.

Silver Problem Solver

@me1me2me3me4 wrote:

500GB makes much better sense. I'm slightly surprised that all the recording I've done would fit in 500GB, but this site shows it might well:

http://toolstud.io/video/filesize.php

as it puts a half hour of 1280x720 at a file size of several gigs--though I'm not claiming accuracy for that site, it's just what came up first in 20 seconds worth of Googling. Still, I'd hope that 500GB could be doubled soon, both online and in box.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview/

Storage Capacity: Currently, the X1 DVR can record a maximum of 60 hours of HD programming or 300 hours of SD programming. The combined total hours you can save will vary depending on the proportion of HD and SD programming you save. If you have more than one X1 DVR, you will have more storage capacity.

New Poster

****FEATURE REQUEST****

Please allow users to extend a series recording longer than a half hour (specifically in regard to sporting events). I am able to extend recording a a single program up to 2 hours but if its a series recording I think either 5 or 30 minutes is the maximum time that it can be extended. You have no idea how frustrating it is (or maybe you do) to watch 3 hours of a sporting event and have the recording cut out in the most critical moments. The alternative is to micromanage every sports recording extending the time etc. I'm a software developer myself so I know nothing is really as simple as just changing or adding an option but, seems like you guys are adding features at a pretty good clip and the software for xfinity is waaayyy better than the competition so kudos on that. But please for the love of god, hook us sports fans up with some love. Auto extend is not given as an option for series recodings either, I'd prefer to just be able to give up to 3 hours of additional record time.

Thank you,

Nick

Valued Contributor

@nickthedudeman wrote:

****FEATURE REQUEST****

Please allow users to extend a series recording longer than a half hour (specifically in regard to sporting events). I am able to extend recording a a single program up to 2 hours but if its a series recording I think either 5 or 30 minutes is the maximum time that it can be extended. You have no idea how frustrating it is (or maybe you do) to watch 3 hours of a sporting event and have the recording cut out in the most critical moments. The alternative is to micromanage every sports recording extending the time etc. I'm a software developer myself so I know nothing is really as simple as just changing or adding an option but, seems like you guys are adding features at a pretty good clip and the software for xfinity is waaayyy better than the competition so kudos on that. But please for the love of god, hook us sports fans up with some love. Auto extend is not given as an option for series recodings either, I'd prefer to just be able to give up to 3 hours of additional record time.

Thank you,

Nick

Hi Nick,

As of this weekend, Auto Extend for live sports series is now a feature in production! If you have sports series recordings already set, please go into Recording Option and change the "Stop" time for that series to "Auto Extend." This will ensure that all games in the series will be automatically extended. Auto Extend will now be the default option for new eligible (e.g monday night football, NBA playoffs etc) sports series recordings, as well. 

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I can program my X1 DVR using the app on my phone. Is it also possible to program my X1 DVR via your website? 

Expert

@PKnapp wrote:

I can program my X1 DVR using the app on my phone. Is it also possible to program my X1 DVR via your website? 

sure Smiley Happy  using the guide find an episode/show you wish to record and select it, menu will show option to record.

Diamond Problem Solver
Regular Contributor

Ever since the cloud system went to 60 hours for people recording in SD and in HD people recording in SD are being punished by Comcast Cable as shows were being deleted on both the Cloud System and on the X1 DVR.This stupid move by Comcast Cable is going to cost them money from me as i now wont be getting the Sports Package to watch NCAA Basketball as shows will be getting deleted all the time as the Cloud will be going over 100% all the time.I talked to one of the tier 3 technicians and he was getting a lot of phone calls like mine.

Regular Visitor

OK, trying to get my head around whether X1 will work for us.

Current situation (in the SLC, UT market) is two MOTOROLA MOR200BNR DVRs, on Digital Preferred, with Blast (using a Technicolor tc8305c modem/router and 105 down/10 up speeds), and unlimited Voice.

As such, we obviously have two HD tuners on each box (lounge and master bedroom), and, I think, 500Gb hard drives in each?

Future proofing, our two young sons will probably get either STBs or DVRs in the future, too.

Now come the questions Smiley Wink

Our current DVRs are close to full at the moment, so we'd obviously have to time any jump to X1 for when we are able to get the shows watched.

Can the SLC market have one X1 and a non-X1 DVR in the same house, on the same account?

Once we have cleared the recorded shows, and are ready to move to an all X1 house, would the best option be 2 x X1 DVRs and two STBs for the kids?

2 X1 DVRs means you set the recording when sat in front of one TV, and the Anyroom system decides which physical machine to record it on, correct? It's not like the legacy system where if you set it on one DVR it records it on that actual DVR. Then the recorded show will be available to watch from either X1 DVR or any connected X1 STB?

So, with the right equipment, we would be able to record up to 12 shows at once, and have 1Tb of space to save the recordings to?

We tried it once a year or two ago, and swapped it back out for legacy equipment as we had a laundry list of issues that we didn't like at the time - are we now at the stage where if you choose to go X1, you're stuck with it (no regressing to legacy boxes any more)?

I would like to say that the upgrade cost quoted on the website for us would be $x per month, but when I try to access upgrade to X1, all the website is showing me are prices for Home or the various Internet options - no TV options at all! Is each market different to what the full rate would be, assuming we can get some sort of introductory offer in the first place?

Problem Solver

@rallybug wrote:

OK, trying to get my head around whether X1 will work for us.

Current situation (in the SLC, UT market) is two MOTOROLA MOR200BNR DVRs, on Digital Preferred, with Blast (using a Technicolor tc8305c modem/router and 105 down/10 up speeds), and unlimited Voice.

As such, we obviously have two HD tuners on each box (lounge and master bedroom), and, I think, 500Gb hard drives in each?

Future proofing, our two young sons will probably get either STBs or DVRs in the future, too.

Now come the questions Smiley Wink

Our current DVRs are close to full at the moment, so we'd obviously have to time any jump to X1 for when we are able to get the shows watched.

Can the SLC market have one X1 and a non-X1 DVR in the same house, on the same account?

Once we have cleared the recorded shows, and are ready to move to an all X1 house, would the best option be 2 x X1 DVRs and two STBs for the kids?

2 X1 DVRs means you set the recording when sat in front of one TV, and the Anyroom system decides which physical machine to record it on, correct? It's not like the legacy system where if you set it on one DVR it records it on that actual DVR. Then the recorded show will be available to watch from either X1 DVR or any connected X1 STB?

So, with the right equipment, we would be able to record up to 12 shows at once, and have 1Tb of space to save the recordings to?

We tried it once a year or two ago, and swapped it back out for legacy equipment as we had a laundry list of issues that we didn't like at the time - are we now at the stage where if you choose to go X1, you're stuck with it (no regressing to legacy boxes any more)?

I would like to say that the upgrade cost quoted on the website for us would be $x per month, but when I try to access upgrade to X1, all the website is showing me are prices for Home or the various Internet options - no TV options at all! Is each market different to what the full rate would be, assuming we can get some sort of introductory offer in the first place?

Any question about what a particular market allows, and how much it is going to cost would probably be best by you calling Comcast, or better yet visiting a Comcast store. With a store visit you can even play around with the interface to see if it is to your liking.

If your market allows 2 X1 DVRs, then yes, you would have 1 Tb of recording space. Scheduled recordings randomly go to either DVR, while "hot" recordings (when you are watching something, and press the record button) go to the DVR that you were watching. If watching on a non-DVR box, then the "hot" recording is random. It really doesn't matter though because all your boxes see all your recordings. No hiding of recordings on one box vs another exists.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR DVR sound levels

What happen to the DVR playback sound levels? Now we have to double the volume level from watching live TV. It is really an issue when you switch from DVR playback to live TV. The dvr system has been gong through some natsy changes!

Expert

Re: X1 DVR DVR sound levels

@oldchevy wrote:

What happen to the DVR playback sound levels? Now we have to double the volume level from watching live TV. It is really an issue when you switch from DVR playback to live TV. The dvr system has been gong through some natsy changes!

Volume 'control is not done by comcast nor your DVR. it is a stream of data that is delivered as it is packaged from the provider. For example in a past season some series like NCIS were adding music that helped drown out the spoken word. 

New Poster

I just got the X1 DVR box yesterday but the DVR portion is not working. Whenever I try to record a show, a message pops up that says DVR is not currently working and gives the error code of XRE-06027

I have tried troubleshooting with the phone app, refreshing several times, restarting several times, and doing a hard reset by unplugging it for two minutes. Nothing works!

Diamond Problem Solver

I just got the X1 DVR box yesterday but the DVR portion is not working. Whenever I try to record a show, a message pops up that says DVR is not currently working and gives the error code of XRE-06027
I have tried troubleshooting with the phone app, refreshing several times, restarting several times, and doing a hard reset by unplugging it for two minutes. Nothing works!

The account that you logged in with has a RNG150 and an XG2, both non-DVR HD boxes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

New version of X1 DVR

Please feel free to share any link that explains all this:

Yesterday I had to replace m malfunctioning X1DVR. The agent at the Xfinity store mentioned it was "the new version". I noticed it was lighter; only later I realized it didn't have a hard drive.

I realize it's actually recording my shows in the cloud and pulling them from the cloud. The only real difference I've noticed is it no longer indicates how "full" my DVR is. Also, fast forwarding is a slightly messier experience (though not particularly bad).

So my questions are: is there a link that explains the changes? Can I now record more than four programs at the same time? Do I now have unlimited recordings or is there a limit?

And related: does using netflix through the comcast labs app count against my internet max limit (that new 1TB a month limit)?

Frequent Visitor

Re: New version of X1 DVR

I have been wondering the same thing about the Netflix app through the DVR. My son thinks that they did it because so many people use the app to stream movies that they use up their data too fast. He thinks that they made it an option through the DVR so it doesn't use your data plan. I'm not sure about it but that seems to make a lot of sense.
Problem Solver

@lallen75 wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing about the Netflix app through the DVR. My son thinks that they did it because so many people use the app to stream movies that they use up their data too fast. He thinks that they made it an option through the DVR so it doesn't use your data plan. I'm not sure about it but that seems to make a lot of sense.

Of course Netflix is using your data.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/netflix-x1-app-data-usage/

Problem Solver

@lazespud wrote:

Please feel free to share any link that explains all this:

Yesterday I had to replace m malfunctioning X1DVR. The agent at the Xfinity store mentioned it was "the new version". I noticed it was lighter; only later I realized it didn't have a hard drive.

I realize it's actually recording my shows in the cloud and pulling them from the cloud. The only real difference I've noticed is it no longer indicates how "full" my DVR is. Also, fast forwarding is a slightly messier experience (though not particularly bad).

So my questions are: is there a link that explains the changes? Can I now record more than four programs at the same time? Do I now have unlimited recordings or is there a limit?

And related: does using netflix through the comcast labs app count against my internet max limit (that new 1TB a month limit)?

What market are you in that they gave you a non hard drive box to replace a DVR? What model box did they give you? Anyone with Cloud DVR enabled can record to the Cloud even if their physical DVR is unplugged. I'd be curious if they just hosed you over and gave you the wrong box.

According to the Cloud DVR FAQs, the Cloud can only record up to 60 hours of content regardless of quality (HD or SD). I actually tested this one night by recording 6 SD shows an hour over a 10 hour period at night. In the morning my Cloud DVR was at 100% full, but my physical DVR was only around 25 to 28% full. I then started recording more shows. The earliest shows on the Cloud DVR were deleted to make room, while the copies on the physical DVR remained.

So if you only now have Cloud DVR, I wonder if you will be stuck with just the 60 hour limit.

Only a Comcast rep can tell you for sure if Cloud only DVRs are now being used in your market. Sounds suspicious.

Regular Contributor

Given this ridiculous new "60 hour limit" cloud implementation, Comcast needs to provide a tool for us to be able to go back to recorded content and prioritize what will be removed from the cloud first.

Since (for those of us who use our TVs not the apps or web) our expecations are based on managing our DVR based on the % that is shown to us on our DVR/TV, and assuming we will manage that below 100%, that is how we will originally set up our recordings (and there is absolutely no way to know how x1 will prioritize "until space is needed" vs "until i delete" vs "for 1 year").

But if the recordings will then be deleted from the cloud based on some criteria set at the time of recording, we need the ability to edit that priority easily, like a check mark or pull down menu next to each recorded item in the Saved list.

Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

Given this ridiculous new "60 hour limit" cloud implementation, Comcast needs to provide a tool for us to be able to go back to recorded content and prioritize what will be removed from the cloud first.

Since (for those of us who use our TVs not the apps or web) our expecations are based on managing our DVR based on the % that is shown to us on our DVR/TV, and assuming we will manage that below 100%, that is how we will originally set up our recordings (and there is absolutely no way to know how x1 will prioritize "until space is needed" vs "until i delete" vs "for 1 year").

But if the recordings will then be deleted from the cloud based on some criteria set at the time of recording, we need the ability to edit that priority easily, like a check mark or pull down menu next to each recorded item in the Saved list.

I'm confused by what you are asking. If you don't use the portal nor apps, then why does it really matter how the Cloud deletes programs? I guess the only time it would really matter now is if you have to do a DVR swap, since only the last 60 hours of recordings will be accessible on the Cloud DVR. That means if you had older shows on your physical DVR that were deleted off the Cloud DVR, then you will lose those older shows when you do a swap. But even that is contingent on the save setting for the program, and if you record in SD quality or not.

As of now, recordings are deleted off the Cloud DVR in a first in first out basis if you have marked the Save setting "Until space is needed". If you marked the show "For 1 Year", then that program is protected for a full year from when it was recorded. It is easy to change the save setting for any recording presently by just modifying its record options.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I'm confused by what you are asking. If you don't use the portal nor apps, then why does it really matter how the Cloud deletes programs? I guess the only time it would really matter now is if you have to do a DVR swap, since only the last 60 hours of recordings will be accessible on the Cloud DVR. That means if you had older shows on your physical DVR that were deleted off the Cloud DVR, then you will lose those older shows when you do a swap. But even that is contingent on the save setting for the program, and if you record in SD quality or not.

As of now, recordings are deleted off the Cloud DVR in a first in first out basis if you have marked the Save setting "Until space is needed". If you marked the show "For 1 Year", then that program is protected for a full year from when it was recorded. It is easy to change the save setting for any recording presently by just modifying its record options.

I could be wrong, but I thought the cloud recordings were also a "back up" for the DVR, and if there was a local service interruption during the recording you would still be able to access the full "cloud" recording.  But maybe that is incorrect, or maybe that only works if you acess it from an app/device other than the TV/DVR?

And I assume you mean the ones marked "for 1 year" are protected for a year IF there is enough space.  If you set all your recordings that way then it would still do fifo as soon as you hit 60.

Basically I want to be able to go through all of the recordings in my list and set them, without doing it one recording at a time.  Just a better UI, but then I guess I'd prioritize about a dozen other UI changes ahead of that.

A warning on my TV/DVR that even though I'm at 41%, that I am about to have recordings deleted from the cloud, would also be nice (normal).

Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I could be wrong, but I thought the cloud recordings were also a "back up" for the DVR, and if there was a local service interruption during the recording you would still be able to access the full "cloud" recording.  But maybe that is incorrect, or maybe that only works if you acess it from an app/device other than the TV/DVR?

And I assume you mean the ones marked "for 1 year" are protected for a year IF there is enough space.  If you set all your recordings that way then it would still do fifo as soon as you hit 60.

Basically I want to be able to go through all of the recordings in my list and set them, without doing it one recording at a time.  Just a better UI, but then I guess I'd prioritize about a dozen other UI changes ahead of that.

A warning on my TV/DVR that even though I'm at 41%, that I am about to have recordings deleted from the cloud, would also be nice (normal).

You are correct about the Cloud recording being a back up in case the recording failed to occur due to something happening to the physical DVR (power failure, cable line down, etc).  That recording then could be played through the physical DVR, and would be denoted by a cloud symbol.

If you marked all your recordings save "for 1 year", and 1 year hasn't past yet, then no more recordings should make it onto the Cloud DVR once you hit 60 hours. I believe it would just stop recording. I'm not sure what error message would pop up, since I really haven't tested that. They would only start going FIFO after the year has past for the earliest recordings.

Regular Contributor

In the past 3 weeks, give or take, I've started having issues with programs not recording or dissapearing.  Most of the time my box is approx 80% full.

I have 2 X1 dvrs with the cloud technology/anyroom setup. 

Therefore I have no control over what box is recording or even seeing what box the recordings are on.  I used to be able to unplug one and those recordings would disappear to tell, but that no longer happens.  I supposed I could go through all 119 recordings to find out one by one, but obviously that would be dumb.

In the cloud (on the web) it says I'm 100% full with only 95 recordings. No matter how many get deleted the cloud thinks I'm full.  None of this was an issue in the past.

I don't know if the issue is a recent software update in October (most likely) or what.  I suspect the problem is that the recordings are not load balancing correctly and one dvr is full and x1 isn't just moving those recordings to the other dvr.  Most shows are recording but not all. It seems that it's mostly shows that I have set to delete when not enough space and they just don't record because it erroneously determines there isn't enough space, and deletes previous shows with that setting even though in total there is 20% avail space on the dvrs.

It's also possible it has something to do with the cloud being "full" supposedly, but I don't think so. That is a separate problem.  The cloud should reflect the space I have on the 2 dvrs in total, and always has in the past.  I did a quick check, there are no shows that are not currently on the dvr, and many that are on the dvr that are not in the cloud (119 to 95, so 24 shows).

So somehow the previous updates seems to have messed up how multiple x1 dvrs are handled.

Problem Solver

@snowrain wrote:

In the past 3 weeks, give or take, I've started having issues with programs not recording or dissapearing.  Most of the time my box is approx 80% full.

I have 2 X1 dvrs with the cloud technology/anyroom setup. 

Therefore I have no control over what box is recording or even seeing what box the recordings are on.  I used to be able to unplug one and those recordings would disappear to tell, but that no longer happens.  I supposed I could go through all 119 recordings to find out one by one, but obviously that would be dumb.

In the cloud (on the web) it says I'm 100% full with only 95 recordings. No matter how many get deleted the cloud thinks I'm full.  None of this was an issue in the past.

I don't know if the issue is a recent software update in October (most likely) or what.  I suspect the problem is that the recordings are not load balancing correctly and one dvr is full and x1 isn't just moving those recordings to the other dvr.  Most shows are recording but not all. It seems that it's mostly shows that I have set to delete when not enough space and they just don't record because it erroneously determines there isn't enough space, and deletes previous shows with that setting even though in total there is 20% avail space on the dvrs.

It's also possible it has something to do with the cloud being "full" supposedly, but I don't think so. That is a separate problem.  The cloud should reflect the space I have on the 2 dvrs in total, and always has in the past.  I did a quick check, there are no shows that are not currently on the dvr, and many that are on the dvr that are not in the cloud (119 to 95, so 24 shows).

So somehow the previous updates seems to have messed up how multiple x1 dvrs are handled.

You have way too many issues that I could possibly address, but I'll try to help with a few things.

The Cloud DVR NO LONGER reflects what is on your physical DVRs. Comcast recently changed the Cloud DVR to ONLY allow saving of 60 hours of recordings (regardless of quality, SD or HD), assuming that is a per DVR limit. So saying your Cloud is at 100% with 95 recordings is somewhat meaningless. How many hours of recordings do those 95 programs make up? Comcast should add that extra bit of information to the display since they are making the hours a limiting factor now. It is very possible your 95 programs span 120 hours (since you have 2 DVRs).

As for programs being deleted off your DVRs, being that you are 80% full, it could be possible the DVR manager algorithm is removing programs in anticipation of what you have scheduled. If you have a large number of scheduled recordings, they have to go somewhere so room has to be allocated. Also, recordings don't get moved between physical DVRs. Where they record, is where they stay, until you delete them, or they are auto deleted to make room for new recordings.

As for recordings just not occurring, are these series recordings or one times? There are a few threads currently where users have had series recordings just disappear from the schedule, and Comcast has just acknowledged the problem.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

You are correct about the Cloud recording being a back up in case the recording failed to occur due to something happening to the physical DVR (power failure, cable line down, etc).  That recording then could be played through the physical DVR, and would be denoted by a cloud symbol.

If you marked all your recordings save "for 1 year", and 1 year hasn't past yet, then no more recordings should make it onto the Cloud DVR once you hit 60 hours. I believe it would just stop recording. I'm not sure what error message would pop up, since I really haven't tested that. They would only start going FIFO after the year has past for the earliest recordings.

Thx, that's how I understood it.

Which brings up another UI feature that would be great.   Any time there is a recording in the cloud that is better/more complete than the one on the DVR (assuming that it can't just be moved/copied to the DVR), a notification so that the user would know to set it to "1 year" or even a higher prioritization, so it doesn't get auto-deleted and your left with just the partial recording on the DVR...

Most Valued Poster

Scheduled programs starting/ending early/late all of a sudden

There was an update 10/31/16   159.05 and OMG......What the heck? I was looking at my scheduled recordings list and MANY/MOST of the programs are now showing start times of :59 of the hour or :29 after the hour and ending 3 minutes after the hour or half hour and I mean MANY/MOST and every  evening of scheduled programs. I have never used the 'auto pad' option in Labs and yes I verified . The guide itself shows the correct start and end times. This is making a check for tuner usage/ conflicts extremely difficult.

FYI....the dvr manager cloud schedule on line shows the correct start and stop times

I don't like to post duplicates but am going to in this case...here and X1 Updates

Problem Solver

Re: Scheduled programs starting/ending early/late all of a sudden

@TerriB wrote:

There was an update 10/31/16   159.05 and OMG......What the heck? I was looking at my scheduled recordings list and MANY/MOST of the programs are now showing start times of :59 of the hour or :29 after the hour and ending 3 minutes after the hour or half hour and I mean MANY/MOST and every  evening of scheduled programs. I have never used the 'auto pad' option in Labs and yes I verified . The guide itself shows the correct start and end times. This is making a check for tuner usage/ conflicts extremely difficult.

FYI....the dvr manager cloud schedule on line shows the correct start and stop times

I don't like to post duplicates but am going to in this case...here and X1 Updates

There is another thread started on 10/29 with users complaining about the same thing. All their scheduled recordings have been auto padded even though they haven't turned it on.  You won't see the auto padding on the Cloud schedule because Comcast is INCONSISTENT by not padding the Cloud recordings even when you turn on the Auto Pad Comcast Labs Feature.

But the good thing is they've added Netflix and other fluff, while consistently breaking core features. SMH.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Scheduled programs starting/ending early/late all of a sudden

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

There is another thread started on 10/29 with users complaining about the same thing. All their scheduled recordings have been auto padded even though they haven't turned it on.  You won't see the auto padding on the Cloud schedule because Comcast is INCONSISTENT by not padding the Cloud recordings even when you turn on the Auto Pad Comcast Labs Feature.

But the good thing is they've added Netflix and other fluff, while consistently breaking core features. SMH.

===========

Thanks for pointing me to that other thread. I didn't know what to search on so put the problem I found in the two threads where we usually report such things. SO glad its not just ME. My DVR scheduled recordings list is in chaos.

Expert
Moved:

X1 DVR went from 70% full to 100% full after reboot

Frequent Visitor

After watching a recorded show, I noticed that 75 percent of the space had been used. However this morning it showed the hard drive was 100 percent full. Apparently an update had been done, because I noticed a difference in the fast forward - pause - rewind indicator. Did the update take up 25 percent of the memory?
New Poster

Can anyone explain why over night I lost about 1/3 of my DVR cloud space?  I went from 40% some to nearly 80% full without adding any new shows?  I looks like to me, my storage was reduced.

Regular Contributor

@drewfellenz wrote:

Can anyone explain why over night I lost about 1/3 of my DVR cloud space?  I went from 40% some to nearly 80% full without adding any new shows?  I looks like to me, my storage was reduced.

There has been a lot of discussion (some earlier in this thread) going on about how the cloud space has been changed to 60 hours of content HD or SD, so that probably explains your loss.

But I haven't read anything that would explain why some of the other folks are posting that they seem to have lost some actual DVR space.

Frequent Visitor

I had the same thing happen - I went from 67% to 96%.  No explanation from Xfinity.  So frustrated!

Frequent Visitor

Same thing here.  Went from 48% on Wednesday with about 110 shows, to 96% on Thursday with same amount of shows, and the change in interface for fast-forwarding etc.   Glad I didn't dream it!!!!!!    I have two DVRs.   When we got the second one, our space doubled, and because it looked like it halved again so I'd assumed it was like one of them wasn't being "used" in the storage calculation.   Very frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

If they Xfinity is going to take away 1/3 of our DVR space, shouldn't we get 1/3 of our bill refunded?  This is the second time in the last week that there has been a problem with the DVR.  Just before they took DVR space, the time on recordings was not functioning correctly.  Now this!  It is very frustrating.  Since I wasn't getting any information from Xfinity, I went to Facebook to see if there was an explanation.  I posted two messages which promptly disappeared without any response.  I tried the "Chat" and nobody responded.  Whatever is going on with Xfinity, they don't seem to care about those of us paying for their product.

New Poster

seems reidiculous i have to go search this in a different screen than where i set up recordings. i swear i had the option to start recording 1-2 minutes early and end 2-5 minutes late, all of a suddenly that option is gone and you have the ability to extend a recording 30, 60, or 90 minutes - why the h8ll would i want 30 minutes added? why is there no 1, 2, 5 miute option? i would not have found this had i not decided to search the forum (which most xfinity customers dont do)