Community Forum

X1 DVR

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

@Rustyben wrote:

or just didn't record locally.

Do you mean that even if there is not an outage , some problem (no way for me to know) from the "head end" in our area can prevent a recording?

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.

It's useless if you only watch from your DVR/TV

Thanks tctc......that would be me so I won't worry about it furtherSmiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

So, Im still lost on how to prevent this from happening.  Is it coincidence that the only two recordings this happened on where the last two games?  i.e. I have zero faith recording future games...so, what is the point of a DVR?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

So you are saying that programs I have scheduled to record on my DVR may not record and thats when they get stored on the cloud. I am now completely confused about the purpose of the cloud and how to access it.

your home DVR sees both local and cloud copies of programs but only plays local copies when both exist. the stream TV app or the stream website show only cloud recordings currently available. the xfinity TV Remote app shows you only local recordings available on your home DVR. 

If a local copy is bad (think power loss due to a storm) then the cloud copy can be watched on a streaming device. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

==

your home DVR sees both local and cloud copies of programs but only plays local copies when both exist. the stream TV app or the stream website show only cloud recordings currently available. the xfinity TV Remote app shows you only local recordings available on your home DVR. 

If a local copy is bad (think power loss due to a storm) then the cloud copy can be watched on a streaming device. 

No storm, no outage - only cloud copies for 1/2 a day yesterday.

Frequent Visitor

First off, I don't stream, this is all a question of a local DVR.  I also don't really believe it is some issue between local and cloud versions.  It is too much of a coincidence that two games two weeks in a row recorded less than 10 minutes in the same way, yet ALL other recordings work fine.

Expert

@Jeff5150 wrote:

First off, I don't stream, this is all a question of a local DVR.  I also don't really believe it is some issue between local and cloud versions.  It is too much of a coincidence that two games two weeks in a row recorded less than 10 minutes in the same way, yet ALL other recordings work fine.

there is a random problem (fixable) where cloud recordings are short as you describe but the DVR (local) has full recording. to test the particular recording you described, check the length of the recording on your X1 set top box connected TV and then on the stream website or smart device stream app. one should be ok where you can watch the recording.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

there is a random problem (fixable) where cloud recordings are short as you describe but the DVR (local) has full recording. to test the particular recording you described, check the length of the recording on your X1 set top box connected TV and then on the stream website or smart device stream app. one should be ok where you can watch the recording.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply...when looking into your suggestion, I found one potential thing.  First off, the recording still showed less than 10 minutes on the cloud version.  Secondly, what was interesting is that on the main recordings page on the streaming site, it said I was 100% full, yet, my DVR says 70%.  Perhaps it didn't finish the recording for this reason - though, I would expect some sort of user facing message saying this when recording something.  This may not be the issue, but, an interesting observation.

Expert

@Jeff5150 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeff5150 wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply...when looking into your suggestion, I found one potential thing.  First off, the recording still showed less than 10 minutes on the cloud version.  Secondly, what was interesting is that on the main recordings page on the streaming site, it said I was 100% full, yet, my DVR says 70%.  Perhaps it didn't finish the recording for this reason - though, I would expect some sort of user facing message saying this when recording something.  This may not be the issue, but, an interesting observation.

check the recording length on the x1 set top box. start playback on the home's DVR(s) and while playing press the OK button. if the cloud icon is in front of the word DVR (source) then your local DVRs didn't record and the short recording showing is the cloud copy. re: %full the two devices measure percentage of two different things. the cloud DVR is % of hours used divided by 60 hours (max per cloud DVR). The local DVR % is percent of space used on the physical DVR(s) and depends on mix of local channels (mpeg2) vs cable channels (mpeg4).

Regular Contributor

Anyone with 2 DVRs notice playback quality changes on different recordings?

I have 2 DVRs and I can tell when my "main" DVR is getting full and recordings are being made on the other one instead.  When I try to watch a recording from the "secondary" box it takes 15-20 seconds before it will start to play, I have to turn up the volume significantly, the video quality is reduced, and it acts almost like on demand playback, with delayed responses for any commands.  LightningFF is unuseable.

Unfortunately this happens when I get to only around 35-40% "full" (a short program will record on the main still, but something long like a football or hockey game will end up on the secondary).  So I either have to live with the poor quality, or keep my recordings way low, which defeats a lot of the purpose of paying for a second DVR (which I never requested in the first place).

Expert

@tctc wrote:

I have 2 DVRs and I can tell when my "main" DVR is getting full and recordings are being made on the other one instead.  When I try to watch a recording from the "secondary" box it takes 15-20 seconds before it will start to play, I have to turn up the volume significantly, the video quality is reduced, and it acts almost like on demand playback, with delayed responses for any commands.  LightningFF is unuseable.

Unfortunately this happens when I get to only around 35-40% "full" (a short program will record on the main still, but something long like a football or hockey game will end up on the secondary).  So I either have to live with the poor quality, or keep my recordings way low, which defeats a lot of the purpose of paying for a second DVR (which I never requested in the first place).

hi, what are the model numbers of your set top boxes? you can get that on screen by saying voice "about' and it is STB version. next time you see that 'different' playback, press the OK button while it is playing normally and note the upper left corner. is it DVR with a white cloud icon in front of it?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

hi, what are the model numbers of your set top boxes? you can get that on screen by saying voice "about' and it is STB version. next time you see that 'different' playback, press the OK button while it is playing normally and note the upper left corner. is it DVR with a white cloud icon in front of it?

main & second both STB version  PX013AN_3.2p6s1_PROD_sey  

I did find a recording that was exhibiting the behavior and it had the cloud icon.

Not sure why it would have been a cloud recording though, since I was home and everything was online during that recording / no outages anyway.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I did find a recording that was exhibiting the behavior and it had the cloud icon.

Not sure why it would have been a cloud recording though, since I was home and everything was online during that recording / no outages anyway.

have you already deleted the recording? there is a report the techs can see on their server if not deleted. (restoring from deleted recordings will not restore the report).

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

have you already deleted the recording? there is a report the techs can see on their server if not deleted. (restoring from deleted recordings will not restore the report).

ah, yes, deleted that one that I knew for sure was doing it, then restored to see if it had the icon

I'll have to look for another one

Regular Contributor

Hi Rustyben

@I have a cloud recording on the DVR now (SJ Sharks @ Ducks 10/28, it was never deleted).

It exhibits the same poor performance, which I guess is standard for a cloud recording, but I have no idea why it's a cloud recording, I don't think there were any outages during the time it would have been recorded.  Any idea why I'm getting these programs recorded on the "cloud" instead of my DVR, if I'm no where near full DVR capacity?

Thanks

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

@I have a cloud recording on the DVR now (SJ Sharks @ Ducks 10/28, it was never deleted).

It exhibits the same poor performance, which I guess is standard for a cloud recording, but I have no idea why it's a cloud recording, I don't think there were any outages during the time it would have been recorded.  Any idea why I'm getting these programs recorded on the "cloud" instead of my DVR, if I'm no where near full DVR capacity?

This is the same exact problem I have reported with  various games since I got X1 service. Happens randomly-cloud versions-no reported outages.  Sometimes I am able to get the "dvr" recording by doing a restart..sometimes not.  The cloud recording is degraded and I am unable to watch at 2x,3x,4x without it being a choppy mess.
Regular Contributor

Cloud recordings are useless for hockey games, it's like watching pre-HD era TV, you can barely see the puck.

Video and sound quality are terrible, and like you said, FF functions are frustrating at best.

@tbill1 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

This is the same exact problem I have reported with  various games since I got X1 service. Happens randomly-cloud versions-no reported outages.  Sometimes I am able to get the "dvr" recording by doing a restart..sometimes not.  The cloud recording is degraded and I am unable to watch at 2x,3x,4x without it being a choppy mess.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben

Thanks

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

OK don't delete the cloud recording. I'll flag this post so someone can check the logs.

Frequent Visitor

I have a DVR model px001anc. Ever since they installed it after taking out the newer small DVR, I've had nothing but laggy High latency operation and all boxes. I have five remotes boxes, (2 are wireless) one DVR. They've been out three times checking signal and other things, they said it's great signal they ran rj11 cable and has tested beautifully,across the spectrum.

A system refresh eliminates the problem for about an hour then goes downhill. They have an additional DVR I forgot about as well in place of a remote box saying it has to be in place because of the amount of boxes totally.

Is this a refurbished equipment issue that is uncommon or is it a problem in general with software and or firmware?

Tired to the point of eliminating Comcast from the house.

Also have Gigabit internet and no phones
Expert

@LEO-Executive wrote:
I have a DVR model px001anc. Ever since they installed it after taking out the newer small DVR, I've had nothing but laggy High latency operation and all boxes. I have five remotes boxes, (2 are wireless) one DVR. They've been out three times checking signal and other things, they said it's great signal they ran rj11 cable and has tested beautifully,across the spectrum.

A system refresh eliminates the problem for about an hour then goes downhill. They have an additional DVR I forgot about as well in place of a remote box saying it has to be in place because of the amount of boxes totally.

Is this a refurbished equipment issue that is uncommon or is it a problem in general with software and or firmware?

Tired to the point of eliminating Comcast from the house.

Also have Gigabit internet and no phones

do you have a local Xfinity store? swap out that very old/slow/audio dropout issues version 1 DVR for a new version 4 (4k UHD capable). 

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

Heavy tried the different setting when you said it up originally? After you start the recording weather is a series or not go back to the menu and click on options and you can change the amount of time that stays on your system either until space is needed, or one year. Your space is limited on these so if it gets full it will delete your oldest recording no matter what the setting but at least it or keep it a year.
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Over the past few months, my X1 DVR has changed its behavior in the recording and deletion of series recordings.

As an example, we have the DVR set up to record 5 episodes of Paw Patrol on Nickelodeon.  Previously, it would record 5 episodes and not attempt another recording until one of the original 5 is deleted.  This was great when the kids would have a favorite episode they wanted to rewatch.  However, the DVR is now constantly overwriting previous recordings, even when set to save for  1 year.  For a show that airs 5 times a day, it means every episode is constantly being overwritten before our children have time to watch an episode from yesterday.

I knew there previously was an option to save until i delete, but this has not appeared in months.

Any insight into the newer behavior and any way to ensure episodes are retained and not overwritten?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@rfgetz80 wrote:

Hello,

Over the past few months, my X1 DVR has changed its behavior in the recording and deletion of series recordings.

As an example, we have the DVR set up to record 5 episodes of Paw Patrol on Nickelodeon.  Previously, it would record 5 episodes and not attempt another recording until one of the original 5 is deleted.  This was great when the kids would have a favorite episode they wanted to rewatch.  However, the DVR is now constantly overwriting previous recordings, even when set to save for  1 year.  For a show that airs 5 times a day, it means every episode is constantly being overwritten before our children have time to watch an episode from yesterday.

I knew there previously was an option to save until i delete, but this has not appeared in months.

Any insight into the newer behavior and any way to ensure episodes are retained and not overwritten?

Thanks

It might help if you started a new thread about your issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Tried and they claimed because there are 5 total TV boxes (including DVR) 2 being wireless, that the latest and greatest DVR which they removed when we had some issues. They stated the newer DVR wouldn't work and added the old clunker along with changing the bedroom client out with a bit smaller PX022ANC stating it was needed for 5 TVs....

Went backwards.
Expert

@LEO-Executive wrote:
Tried and they claimed because there are 5 total TV boxes (including DVR) 2 being wireless, that the latest and greatest DVR which they removed when we had some issues. They stated the newer DVR wouldn't work and added the old clunker along with changing the bedroom client out with a bit smaller PX022ANC stating it was needed for 5 TVs....

Went backwards.

the new v4 DVR will work and you were told wrong. the xg2 (px0022) is a companion set top box that has 3 tuners it can loan out to other companion set top boxes freeing up your DVR's tuners to record. DVR, XG2, and 3 other companions is fine. what is the old clunker model number? (voice remote "about" reply with the STB version line)

Frequent Visitor

PX001ANC....

Will be a MX001ANC replacement when it gets here.
New Poster

Hello,
I recently upgraded to X1 HD DVR from older motorola DVR. I like most of the X1 service but i miss two festures and wanted to request them for future release. We are missing the 30 seconds Skip forward and back. The second missing festure is the Live button festure.
Thanks for your consideration.
Diamond Problem Solver

30 second skip is the pg up button. If it’s not set to 30 seconds, press Exit 3 times, and 0030.
Pressing Exit, gets you to Live TV

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Excellent and thank you for the instructions
New Poster

I tried what you suggested. Exit works and performs Live function. Page Up skips 5 minutes so I tried click Exit three times and enter 0030 but that did not work.
Silver Problem Solver

@TigerJr wrote:
I tried what you suggested. Exit works and performs Live function. Page Up skips 5 minutes so I tried click Exit three times and enter 0030 but that did not work.

Try it while standing close to the X1 box; you are making changes to it, not the remote.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks will they that. Also sharing for the groups benefit a new feature under Comcast Labs is Smart Resume that makes skipping commercial easy on the local stations. Great feature
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR (Option to delete individual recording is missing )

Option to delete individual recording is missing

Recently the option to delete an individual recording (from the recording list) is missing.   I have performed the

"system refresh".

Release version is 100.02 6/11/19 6.01am

XRE version 2.8.0

Receiver native version 3.7.0

STB timestamp Friday May 11, 2019

STB version MX011AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

Expert

@Picklepot wrote:
Option to delete individual recording is missing

Recently the option to delete an individual recording (from the recording list) is missing.   I have performed the

"system refresh".

Release version is 100.02 6/11/19 6.01am

XRE version 2.8.0

Receiver native version 3.7.0

STB timestamp Friday May 11, 2019

STB version MX011AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

It has been said that it is under record options now. much easier to press the D button when watching and ready to delete or when the program/episode is highlighted press the D button.

New Poster

I have same issue. Even when I choose "Keep 3 episodes only", I suspect it is overwriting the oldest recording, whatever it is, not just that series. That means that if I record a movie, but Paw Patrol airs 1000 times in one day,  my movie will be overwritten since it is the oldest by the end of the day....

Frequent Visitor

I saw that too...I may remap my Harmony Remote to include the D button.
Official Employee

I have same issue. Even when I choose "Keep 3 episodes only", I suspect it is overwriting the oldest recording, whatever it is, not just that series. That means that if I record a movie, but Paw Patrol airs 1000 times in one day,  my movie will be overwritten since it is the oldest by the end of the day....

masterpdg, that is correct! Thanks for posting on the forums. When your DVR is full or near capacity, it will keep the most recent content (that most recent content will be uploaded to the Cloud too). It will delete the oldest content to make way for the new. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Pluto TV in the Apps menu on my 4K X1 device states this is not supported. Anyone else able to access this new Application? Looks like the X1 box is current with latest OS dated on 5/23/19.
Expert

@TigerJr wrote:
Pluto TV in the Apps menu on my 4K X1 device states this is not supported. Anyone else able to access this new Application? Looks like the X1 box is current with latest OS dated on 5/23/19.

the firmware for the xg1v4 was reverted to an older March 22 version and until we get a new version, Pluto TV will not work on that set top box. if you have a Roku it works on that device, too.

Most Valued Poster

@TigerJr wrote:

I have a plain vanilla HD set top box and  I can access Pluto

Frequent Visitor

Why is it there is no information anywhere that discloses if you use secondary X1 boxes that are able to access the DVR, you reduce the number tuners available to record programs?  I have a primary DVR and 3 X1 secondary boxes, I now can only record 3 programs at one time. A better system would be if the secondary X1 box contained its own tuner.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@mjlaemers
That fact has been explained countless times on these forums. Swap one of your secondary boxes for an XG2, that will free up your dvr

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

New Poster

3rd time trying to post this...let's see if it works this time....

I recently finished a 2-year plan as an Xfinity customer and, when using the website to make a new 2-year plan (sidenote: THANK YOU for finally letting existing customers buy packages online), it tells me I need to return my X1 DVR box and have 3 standard TV boxes rather than 1 DVR + 2 standards, and that I'll have access to the X1 Cloud DVR service instead of having a DVR box.

This brings up a few questions I can't find answers to:

-Is the X1 DVR Box being discontinued outright? If so, why? Mine works great and the Cloud DVR seems like a big downgrade, especially with the # of hours available cut in half.

-Are there certain plans I can choose where I wouldn't have to give up the X1 DVR?

-If I stay on a monthly plan how long will it be before my X1 DVR service is discontinued?

-I can access Netflix and Amazon Prime directly through my X1 DVR Box. If I do the 2-year renewal and send the X1 DVR box back as requested, do I lose that ability?

Thanks for any insight anyone has on this....

Diamond Problem Solver

@MKMorr
Your post is here, for better exposure. Your question is more account specific about what you signed up for. This thread is more for technical issues. Follow the link and an Official Employee will respond shortly
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Re-X1-DVR/m-p/3253400

New Poster

I was wondering if my post had gotten moved somewhere the previous 2 times I posted it but no one bothered to let me know, so thanks! 

Expert

@MKMorr wrote:

3rd time trying to post this...let's see if it works this time....

I recently finished a 2-year plan as an Xfinity customer and, when using the website to make a new 2-year plan (sidenote: THANK YOU for finally letting existing customers buy packages online), it tells me I need to return my X1 DVR box and have 3 standard TV boxes rather than 1 DVR + 2 standards, and that I'll have access to the X1 Cloud DVR service instead of having a DVR box.

This brings up a few questions I can't find answers to:

-Is the X1 DVR Box being discontinued outright? If so, why? Mine works great and the Cloud DVR seems like a big downgrade, especially with the # of hours available cut in half.

-Are there certain plans I can choose where I wouldn't have to give up the X1 DVR?

-If I stay on a monthly plan how long will it be before my X1 DVR service is discontinued?

-I can access Netflix and Amazon Prime directly through my X1 DVR Box. If I do the 2-year renewal and send the X1 DVR box back as requested, do I lose that ability?

Thanks for any insight anyone has on this....

we can't see plan you signed up for online. if you have a home DVR you will have access to the cloud DVRs last 60 hours automatically. the home rental on a DVR is just $10/month more than a companion set top box..