Contributor

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

Sorry for mispelling lawyers.

Contributor

geez mspelled deliberate as well.

Regular Contributor

What shows are you watching on demand that you can't skip the commercials?  I've always been able to skip (not fast forward) while watching on demand.

Expert

@littlebogi wrote:

We have the same issue.  I guess I have to agree with those who believe it is delibereate, that Comcast wants to require us to watch on demand with full commercials in an effort to satisfy advertisers and/or they want to force us to rent programs.  On demand used to be a nice feature when you could watch a previously aired program with few if any commercials.  IMHO X1 never should have been released it's been a real headache.  If Xfinity had any respect for it's customers it would just deliver what is promised and what we're paying for.  If they are truly deleting dvr programs to force us to rent or watch commercials isn't that a form of fraud?  Maybe we have a class action lawsuit here.  Any lawyeers out there have an opinion on this?

just a small question: who do you think pays for the expenses of making content and how do you think residuals are funded? On demand FF/Rev etc are decided upon by the on-demand content providers not comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

I can now report that my saved recordings are disappearing. 

I checked my cloud saved recordings and they are also not there.

And there were some recordings in the cloud that I had deleted from my DVR's.

Comcast has some more bugs to work on.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I would think my $200/month pays for some content.  What used to be a nice consumer friendly feature is now anything but.

Contributor

I meant fast forward.  The skip feature has increased from 5 min. to 10 min.  Have to rewind 6 min of content to return to the point you chose skip.

Silver Problem Solver

You can set a 30 second skip by pressing exit exit exit 0030.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

I'll try that, didn't think it applied to On Demand.

Silver Problem Solver

That is all I use it for - on demand.

Silver Problem Solver

AnyRoom DVR issue?

I have two X1 DVR'.

Two nights ago, I found I had six recordings started in the same timeframe, starting at 8pm CST.

The X1 DVR gave me the choice of either cancelling one recording or letting me watch one of the recordings.

I wonder if AnyRoom is not aware of a second DVR.

Has anyone with two or more DVR's had an issue like mine?

This only mentions one DVR.

http://www.xfinity.com/anyroomdvr/

This does mention more than one DVR.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

X1 AnyRoom DVR: Overview

• X1 AnyRoom DVR has six tuners, meaning you can record up to six programs simultaneously. If you have multiple X1 DVRs, you can record more programs simultaneously.
    • For example, if you have two X1 DVRs in the home, you will now be able to record eight programs simultaneously.
    • Note: The Pace XG1v1 has only five available tuners; customers can record up to five shows at once while watching another channel live.

My two DVR's are XG1v1 but my understanding is that they were modified for six tuners.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

I can now report that my saved recordings are disappearing. 

I checked my cloud saved recordings and they are also not there.

And there were some recordings in the cloud that I had deleted from my DVR's.

Comcast has some more bugs to work on.

you have multiple DVRs if I recall. I was wondering if the shows missing are scheduled shows or hot recordings. I was pondering about the scheduler and how it makes future room for recording and thought about what if... the DVR to be scheduled already has a lot of hot recordings on it taking up room and the scheduler isn't adding the new recordings to the DVR with the most room on the account.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Have one main box and two smaller boxes.  I don't believe the problem is in the scheduler as the recordings that are disappearing are older recordings.  Just encountered another issue.  As a scheduled program air time arrives a quick message appears indicating that a program scheduled to record has been canceled.  If I'm not looking at the screen I will miss the message, it's really quick up for only a second or so.

Regular Contributor

@littlebogi wrote:

Have one main box and two smaller boxes.  I don't believe the problem is in the scheduler as the recordings that are disappearing are older recordings.  Just encountered another issue.  As a scheduled program air time arrives a quick message appears indicating that a program scheduled to record has been canceled.  If I'm not looking at the screen I will miss the message, it's really quick up for only a second or so.

I think Rustyben was responding to RobertWy.

Contributor

I'll try it again.

Thanks

Contributor

You're correct, it works.  Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

I have used "Save for 1 year" and it still deleted some of the programs I recorded.

Frequent Visitor

I am reading these posts to see if I can find a solution for why my recordings are being deleted without my deleting them.  You are indicating that if you have to get a new X1, you will lose all your recordings.  When I was encouraged to get the X1, one of the sales pitches was that I would never again lose my recordings if I changed boxes as they were now saved in "the cloud." 

Contributor

Today I used the "TV" app and used my tablet look at my saved recordings.  The list indicated my DVR was 99% full, saved list on my TV indicated 75%.  This could be where the problem lies.  Less space available that indicated on the saved list.  

Anyone else notice this?

Frequent Visitor

No, but I have wondered if that isn't the problem.  I don't know how to check that.  The only way I know to check is what shows up on the box, which never shows me even close to 100% or evfen 90%.  I never let it get much past 80% and it still deletes programs.  Last night it simply didn't record what I had set up to be recorded.  Very frustrating!

Silver Problem Solver

Check your cloud recordings and delete any old ones.  I had some that were over a year old.

https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings

Contributor

If you have an Android device get the TV app from Google play store.  Using the app look at the saved recordings, the used space will be displayed there.

Expert

Re: AnyRoom DVR issue?

@RobertWy wrote:

I have two X1 DVR'.

Two nights ago, I found I had six recordings started in the same timeframe, starting at 8pm CST.

The X1 DVR gave me the choice of either cancelling one recording or letting me watch one of the recordings.

I wonder if AnyRoom is not aware of a second DVR.

Has anyone with two or more DVR's had an issue like mine?

This only mentions one DVR.

http://www.xfinity.com/anyroomdvr/

This does mention more than one DVR.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

X1 AnyRoom DVR: Overview

• X1 AnyRoom DVR has six tuners, meaning you can record up to six programs simultaneously. If you have multiple X1 DVRs, you can record more programs simultaneously.
    • For example, if you have two X1 DVRs in the home, you will now be able to record eight programs simultaneously.
    • Note: The Pace XG1v1 has only five available tuners; customers can record up to five shows at once while watching another channel live.

My two DVR's are XG1v1 but my understanding is that they were modified for six tuners.

the pace v1 dvr can't be modified to have the 6 tuners (but they did make all 5 recordable). On another thread(s?) comcast said 'hot' (on demand, hitting the record button) 'only' will be recorded on the local DVR (if using a local DVR). the scheduled recordings on the other hand are supposed to be doled out by the scheduler based on available room (primary decider) and available tuner(s) if a tuner is not available and multi-dvr's are in the home.

I swapped out my greenie and two blueie DVRs pace ver1 for arris dvrs. the moca speed jumped 35+ mb on each connection, menu is so much faster and there are no 'errors' at all on the device diagnostic screen. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: AnyRoom DVR issue?

Losing my recordings to replace my DVR's is not something I want to discuss with my wife. <vbg>

We do very little "hot" recordings, but maybe using the Sports app does that.

One idea I have is that it might not be a bad idea to replace my DVRs.  I've had them ever since they first became available in Houston.

But I must first figure out whether it makes a difference where a series recording is scheduled.  I might be able to shuffle the recordings so that so that they are spread between the DVR's.  I thought Whole Home was supposed to do that.

But mayb not.

ComcastChad wrote:

Whole Home Scheduling was enabled for a small % of customers (very very small) who have more than one X1 DVR in the home.   We will be rolling this out to the remaining customer's over the next two weeks. 

Features include the following:

•Tuner Pooling (2 X1 DVR's = 8 simultaneous recordings, 3 X1 DVR's = 12 simultaneous recordings and so on)

•Disk Space pooling (2 X1 DVRs = 1 TB of storage. 3 X1 DVRs= 1.5 TB of storage and so on)

•Removes need for user to select a hub to schedule to (schedules can be manged from all X1 boxes)

•Cloud DVR customers- all new recordings from all X1 DVRs will be available in the cloud, no need to select the default cloud dvr anymore)

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/whole-home-scheduling-for-multiple-DVRs/m-p/2360633/highlight/true#M...

Please let us know if you are seeing any issues

Valued Contributor

@littlebogi wrote:

Hi littlebogi,

Your DVR will delete older recordings, marked as "Save Until Space Is Needed," in order to make room for new recordings. This will happen if you are low on space. What % of used space is your box showing?

Thanks,

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@littlebogi wrote:

Today I used the "TV" app and used my tablet look at my saved recordings.  The list indicated my DVR was 99% full, saved list on my TV indicated 75%.  This could be where the problem lies.  Less space available that indicated on the saved list.  

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, this is definitely an issue.

And if you switch out boxes, you will likely have recordings "taking up space" in the cloud somewhere.  I have many shows the I deleted months ago that are for some reason showing up if I access through the internet.

Why that affects your DVR space and causes shows to be deleted I have no idea, but it does.  You can go to the app and delete them, but last I looked, the only option was to delete all episodes.   I generally have one episode of the Daily Show I haven't watched yet, that is on my DVR, and 10 or 20 in the cloud somewhere that I can't get rid of without deleting that one episode.

Frequent Visitor

I was not aware that you had to go somewhere to see what was in the cloud.  When the technician installed my X1, he said it was automatic and what it did was kept recordings so if I had to change boxes, I wouldn't lose anything.  When I clicked on your link, it wanted me to sign up for Xfinity TV, which I would have thought I had.  Will it cause any problems if I sign up?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@bhwilly wrote:

I was not aware that you had to go somewhere to see what was in the cloud.  When the technician installed my X1, he said it was automatic and what it did was kept recordings so if I had to change boxes, I wouldn't lose anything.  When I clicked on your link, it wanted me to sign up for Xfinity TV, which I would have thought I had.  Will it cause any problems if I sign up?

You should not have to sign up, just log in with your Xfinity ID and password.  As far as what the tech told you, he didn't tell you everything.  If you swap out your DVR for some reason, your recorded shows in the cloud will be available on phones, tablets, computers, but not on your TV, and you can't download them to your new DVR.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@littlebogi wrote:

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, this is definitely an issue.

And if you switch out boxes, you will likely have recordings "taking up space" in the cloud somewhere.  I have many shows the I deleted months ago that are for some reason showing up if I access through the internet.

Why that affects your DVR space and causes shows to be deleted I have no idea, but it does.  You can go to the app and delete them, but last I looked, the only option was to delete all episodes.   I generally have one episode of the Daily Show I haven't watched yet, that is on my DVR, and 10 or 20 in the cloud somewhere that I can't get rid of without deleting that one episode.

the iphone app xfinity TV does allow you to delete individual episodes (go to episode list wait for it to finish updating and sliding to left a listing will give you a delete option to press. I've reported that the ipad mini running the same app does not have that feature working at all. on the ipad you have to watch, and slide position locator to far right and then you get a delete menu.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for that information.  I was definitely not told that by the representative from Comcast.  That is upsetting as I feel like I was duped, although in our area, you now have to get the X1.

Expert

@bhwilly wrote:

Thank you for that information.  I was definitely not told that by the representative from Comcast.  That is upsetting as I feel like I was duped, although in our area, you now have to get the X1.

just guessing here but we had a user that showed a screen capture of a recorded shows detail screen that had a little cloud to left of the word DVR on bottom right side of the information box. It appears that comcast may be looking to be able to play and see assets (recordings) that are on the cloud DVR only. This can happen for many reasons and it seems likely to be a smart fix and a needed transition to cloud only implementation when it or if it happens.

Frequent Visitor

I didn't see a cloud or anything at all about it.  Too bad there wasn't more consistency in the equipment.  It would be nice if I was able to get a new box and not lose recordings as I have had to replace boxes way too often.  They don't tend to last all that long.  Thank you for the information. 

Silver Problem Solver

If you have had to replace a box more than once, I suspect a connection issue instead.

Have you had a Comcast tech check everything?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, we did have everything checked and it is all fine on my end.  The DVRs I had prior to the X1 failed often and I would be given a rebuilt DVR to replace it.  I spoke with the staff at the local office and they told me it wasn't unusual. 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Welcome to the new X1-DVR thread! We ask that you post all of your DVR related comments, questions, issues and feature requests here.

Feature request: I would like to set different favorite channels in different rooms. Family members want their own favorites.

I have 5 TVs and my equipment consists of an XG1-A, an XG2v2-P, and 3 XiD-P's.

Most Valued Poster

Hot Key for DVR sync?

I find I have to sync my DVR to my HD box quite a bit. Some times more than once a day. Is there a hotkey that will allow me to sync without having to go through all the steps from guide through device settings etc? A hot key would be a big help to solve this annoyance.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Hot Key for DVR sync?

No there is no hotkey and you should not need one. I have had X1 service for over 2.5 years and I have never needed to sync anything. But I suspect that is because my X1 signal levels are pristine.

In your case something else is wrong and I am guessing it is a signal deficiency.

@PhilipCataldo wrote:

I find I have to sync my DVR to my HD box quite a bit. Some times more than once a day. Is there a hotkey that will allow me to sync without having to go through all the steps from guide through device settings etc? A hot key would be a big help to solve this annoyance.

Most Valued Poster

Well I will erase a program and it doesn't erase. Or I know a program or two have been recorded but they don't show until I sync. 

Gold Problem Solver

I suspect you have signal issues which is very common with X1.

@PhilipCataldo wrote:

Well I will erase a program and it doesn't erase. Or I know a program or two have been recorded but they don't show until I sync. 

Silver Problem Solver

The Sync DVR setting is for installers with new installs.
Most Valued Poster

I don't know it is in the device settings area with other features. It helps me stay current if I am taping a show that I am watching and want to see a section of the show over again.

Problem Solver

Hello PhilipCataldo,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your X1 DVR service. Currently there is not a hotkey for syncing the DVR service to the HD service. If you are having continuous issues, I would recommend setting up a technician visit. If you are interested in setting up a technician visit or have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know. 

New Poster

Re: DVR Recordings Not Showing Up And Deleting

I have a suspicion. I record several shows from AMC. I few I do not get to for a few weeks. I noticed my episodes disappearing when they are no longer available on demand. That makes keeping up with a serialized show very challenging.

Not sure if it is coincidence but highly suspicious.
Regular Contributor

On a daily basis I have shows that I watch and then delete and they go away from my DVR but are still listed if I go to xtv.comcast.net.

Specifically, the Daily Show, which I have had to manually delete from the web several times now over the last couple months, the episodes just keep building up online until I go online and manually delete them one at a time.

I also have tried to set up a recording for tonights Stanley Cup game several times, and even though the listing exists and it looks like it has been set up properly, the DVR and online both say I have a recording scheduled for "World Series of Fighting 29..".

Which might work if it's just the wrong labeling, but might not, since the timing is not the same.  So now I'm set up to miss my 3rd major sporting event of this year, thanks for that.

Problem Solver

Hi Blian,

I will have to send a signal to your DVR. Please reply with the best time to send the signal. 

Problem Solver

Hi tctc,

Please reply thru a Private Message with your DVR serial number. 

Problem Solver

Hi tctc,

You can delete the Cloud DVR recorded shows by sing in to your online account. You can not delete the Cloud DVR recordings thru the DVR box. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastElena wrote:

Hi tctc,

You can delete the Cloud DVR recorded shows by sing in to your online account. You can not delete the Cloud DVR recordings thru the DVR box. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Sorry, I don't understand.  Most of the time when I delete a recording it deletes from both the DVR and the cloud.

Why are just some of the recordings getting stuck in the cloud?  (and requiring me to go in and delete them a second time)

I understand how to delete them from the cloud, I just don't understand why they are still there in the first place?

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

On a daily basis I have shows that I watch and then delete and they go away from my DVR but are still listed if I go to xtv.comcast.net.

Specifically, the Daily Show, which I have had to manually delete from the web several times now over the last couple months, the episodes just keep building up online until I go online and manually delete them one at a time.

I also have tried to set up a recording for tonights Stanley Cup game several times, and even though the listing exists and it looks like it has been set up properly, the DVR and online both say I have a recording scheduled for "World Series of Fighting 29..".

Which might work if it's just the wrong labeling, but might not, since the timing is not the same.  So now I'm set up to miss my 3rd major sporting event of this year, thanks for that.

As expected, this mislabeling messed up the recording and caused me to miss part of the game.  Since it was mislabeled, it would not auto-extend.  And there was no way to set up a recording for the time between the end of the non-existent WSoF29 show, and the actual end of the Stanley Cup game, which was scheduled for longer.  I set up recordings for the following shows, but they did not start until after a section of the game was missed due to the difference in lengths between the actual show and the phantom show...

That's 3 major sporting events ruined this year, and yes, I'm going to keep count for the whole year.

Admin1

tctc -- This is happening due to a data error that's causing the Cloud to read that you still have recordings that you've deleted. I check on your recording and am showing it listed as Stanley Cup Playoff. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.