Community Forum

X1 DVR

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 can't get anyroom DVR on one cable box

@geek46 wrote:

Malderman wrote: I just hit "choose this solution" by accident. ...

Don't think the forums allow you to undo that... ...

OPs can "unsolve" a thread by logging in, going to the "solution" post, clicking the "Options" link, an selecting "Not the solution". I believe Admins can also do this.

Contributor

Thanks BruceW. I think someone has done this because the thread no longer shows solved on the index.
Official Employee

Hey Malderman,

I can see that you are having both signal issues and Moca issues.  I can help you schedule a tech to your house that will take the time to clean up the issues and get everything back up and working for you.  PM me and let me know times that are good for you.

Thank you,

Brandon

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

When you clicked the reply button you should have gotten what I described, but you need to be logged into your Comcast account also before you enter the forums.

Robert,

Thee has been some admission on Comcast's part that Lithium may have had corrupted user system files, thereby not allowing some users to see the image insert button, the paste from word button, the HTML pane, and the file attach area at the bottom of a reply...

I know....  I raised this issue yesterday and my account was one of them... I have Never been able to insert a pic since day one...   Happily I can after 5pm yesterday!!!!  : )

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your expertise. Comcast is sending a tech to my house Monday morning. Your comments will certainly help me deal with him.
Expert

@Malderman wrote:
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your expertise. Comcast is sending a tech to my house Monday morning. Your comments will certainly help me deal with him.

PLease post back here what the Tech found and steps taken the fix your issues and your overall satisfaction with the visit....might help/encourage others to seek out the same avenues you did!

Good luck!

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks, Ray. I will.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR - all recordings gone

@geek46 wrote:

@DKSac wrote:

Major issue with the DVR now.

No more buffer recording, and now if you set a show to record and another show on the same channel to record 3 minutes early, right after the first show, the fist show recording stop 3 minutes before the show ends. It is as if the two tunners can't record the same channel at the same time anymore. It is rediculous. 

Comcast is aware of this issue and has reported that the "fix" will come around the end of April....

There is still no recording of the buffer when you set a show you are watching to record.

It's been 3 months and about 3 updates now since it was broken.  When is it going to be fixed!!!

Silver Problem Solver

@snowrain wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@DKSac wrote:

No more buffer recording, and now if you set a show to record and another show on the same channel to record 3 minutes early, right after the first show, the fist show recording stop 3 minutes before the show ends. It is as if the two tunners can't record the same channel at the same time anymore. It is rediculous. 

Comcast is aware of this issue and has reported that the "fix" will come around the end of April....

There is still no recording of the buffer when you set a show you are watching to record.

It's been 3 months and about 3 updates now since it was broken.  When is it going to be fixed!!!

Based on comments elsewhere on this forum, Comcast doesn't plan to fix it.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

It wasn't broken. Comcast shut it off. Unfortunately Robert is correct. There does not appear to be any plans to change it.

@snowrain wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@DKSac wrote:

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

It wasn't broken. Comcast shut it off. Unfortunately Robert is correct. There does not appear to be any plans to change it.

@snowrain wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@DKSac wrote:

Considering that is basic DVR functionality in this era, and part of what they sold us and have been charging us for, they should be reducing the monthly rate and refunding everyone.

Gold Problem Solver

Over the past 1.5 years and almost 7,000 posts in the forum, I have found that Comcast is totally oblivious to threats, brow beating and "sabre rattling".

1. Comcast is developing X1 to suit themselves and their own needs.
2. If they are listening to outside input it is extremely difficult to see.
3. Obviously they have gotten used to shutting off or eliminating features that will alienate customers. It would seen they are becoming comfortable with doing this.
4. It has become clear that Comcast is far more comfortable shoving unimportant and useless features down customer's throats while avoiding adding more valuable features customers are actually asking for.

My point is this and I have said it before; X1 is not a product designed or intended for enthusiasts. It is not a "top of the line" product. Is a stripped down and watered down product intended for the masses.

I am sorry but people who jump into this forum venting about missing features are wasting their time. Comcast is going to do it their way and NOTHING said in this forum is going to change that. COMCAST ISN'T LISTENING and if a Comcast employee chooses to debate me on that my response would be PROVE ME WRONG!!!

I guess people can vent all they want. I know how futile that sort of venting is. I would much rather keep my blood pressure down. I don't let X1 bug me anymore. I view it for what it is.

Contributor

Tech just showed up.
Expert

@Malderman wrote:
Tech just showed up.

And ???????????  <g>

-=Ray=-

Contributor

The tech wasn't interested in looking at the materials Brandon sent or the information Andrew sent me about the correct order to connect to output cables to the SMTP. The tech said that because the PPC EV01-9-U/U has two rows of outputs they can't talk to each other, so he changed the amp to a Commscope Homeconnect CSAPDU9VPI and changed the power transformer to a new one as well. He also changed the connections to the amp. None of this helped. The bottom line is that He says we need new new cables to the bedroom and the weight room. He said they would probably go around outside the house to get to our bedroom. Someone is supposed to call me about recabling. Andrew and Brandon I moved the DVR back to the bedroom so now the one with no MoCA link is the master bedroom. We also had a sound problem with on demand movies which he thought was caused by a bad HDMI cable. So he installed a new hdmi cable. After he did that I couldn't get the movie sound to mess up. It's probably fixed until it messes up again. This whole process has been absurd and frustrating. Why didn't the first installer tell us we had a problem with weak signals? For that matter, why didn't Comcast tell us that X1 needs perfect cables to work! We probably would have just stuck with what we had instead of getting tangled up in this mess. Brandon and Andrew, you should pass on to your employer that Comcast is building up a lot of customer dissatisfaction with the X1. From what I read on the forums many people are having the same or similar problems.
Gold Problem Solver

X1 requires a certain level of signal quality. This is well known and widely discussed. OBVIOUSLY there are wiring issues within YOUR house. It could be as simple as a wire staple penetrating a RG6 coax cable or an old splitter that you don't know about.

Regardless the problem sounds like it is WITHIN YOUR house therefore it is YOUR problem. I see five choices:

1. Have Comcast fix it and pay them.
2. Go back to Legacy boxes.
3. Pay a 3rd party AV provider to fix it.
4. Learn how to fix it yourself.
5. Find a family member or friend that is able to help you fix it.

Sorry for being so blunt but it is what it is. Comcast has no ownership over the wiring in your house. You do. All other telecoms operate this way.

Are you sure you are not getting in the way of the process? Did you tell the tech not to do any repairs you would be charged for?

@Malderman wrote:
The tech wasn't interested in looking at the materials Brandon sent or the information Andrew sent me about the correct order to connect to output cables to the SMTP. The tech said that because the PPC EV01-9-U/U has two rows of outputs they can't talk to each other, so he changed the amp to a Commscope Homeconnect CSAPDU9VPI and changed the power transformer to a new one as well. He also changed the connections to the amp. None of this helped. The bottom line is that He says we need new new cables to the bedroom and the weight room. He said they would probably go around outside the house to get to our bedroom. Someone is supposed to call me about recabling. Andrew and Brandon I moved the DVR back to the bedroom so now the one with no MoCA link is the master bedroom. We also had a sound problem with on demand movies which he thought was caused by a bad HDMI cable. So he installed a new hdmi cable. After he did that I couldn't get the movie sound to mess up. It's probably fixed until it messes up again. This whole process has been absurd and frustrating. Why didn't the first installer tell us we had a problem with weak signals? For that matter, why didn't Comcast tell us that X1 needs perfect cables to work! We probably would have just stuck with what we had instead of getting tangled up in this mess. Brandon and Andrew, you should pass on to your employer that Comcast is building up a lot of customer dissatisfaction with the X1. From what I read on the forums many people are having the same or similar problems.

Official Employee

Malderman,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience with Comcast and X1.  I am forwarding this on to someone to help get this resolved as the tech didn't do anything.  I am happy to help with anything I can and will be here with you until this is resolved.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

In fairness to the tech, I suppose he did do something in the sense that he diagnosed the problem as a cable problem and is arranging for someone to call me about replacing the cables invoked. That assumes he's right.
Official Employee

Malderman,

Someone should be reaching out to you aside from the anyone the tech may have refered you to. I escalated the issue to get this resoved correctly.

Regular Contributor

It really isn't hard to run new cable thru walls yourself.  As an aside you mentioned why Comcast doesn't inform customers about the signal thing.  Actually, they do, or at least they did with me.  When we had X1 installed last week, when the tech called and said he was on his way, he actually had all the levels up on his Ipad and he discussed it with me.  He told me that our levels were perfect and if they were't he wouldn't have been able to install it until that was rectified.  He was here for an hour and most of that hour was just explaining all the features of the new boxes.  Everything activated within seconds, and this was after my area had a massive outage 2 hours prior.

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

Brandon, thanks for staying on top of this! I really appreciate it!
Anon1299246, the tech that installed my system didn't explain much of anything and didn't explain about the signal issue. The second tech said that the first tech installed the wrong POE filter and the wrong internet modem. The third tech said that the first tech installed the wrong amp, even though ComcastAndrew said it was the correct one, and also changed out the power unit the first tech had installed. In addition to the MoCA problem I'm still having the sound problem with On Demand. This thing is a total FUBAR.
Official Employee

Sorry you had to go through the less than stellar experience. I'm sure Brandon will be with you and get you fixed up properly.

Nothing wrong with using either one of those amps with the X1 as long as the dvr is in the right port.

Contributor

I told the tech about your telling me that the DVR needed to be on the right port but he basically ignored me. In fact, after he connected up the up the amp I told him I'd like to move the DVR back to the master bedroom and he said that would be ok. Is this something I could check for myself by unhooking one connection at a time? What port should the DVR be on with the Commscope?
Silver Problem Solver

I dug this up from google:

CommScope 9 Port UGA-
1. Connect XG1 to Port 2 (if more than 1 XG1 place additional XG1’s on Ports 2-4)
2. Longest Cable runs in the home ports 1, 3, & 4
3. Shorter runs on Ports 5-8

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Unplugging will help you locate which outlets are where.
What Robert posted is what I follow when using either of those amps ( hasn't failed me yet).

Contributor

Thanks, Andrew, I'll give it a try.
Contributor

I figured out which cables go with which outlets and reconfigured the connections per RobertWy's instructions. I put the phone on the VoIP output (the tech had put it somewhere else but it seems to make sense) and the Internet on output 4, as it's one of the longer runs. Nothing has changed. The master bedroom outlet is still cut off from MoCA. I'm supposed to receive a phone call regarding putting in a new line. Is it possible that my master bed room outlet is too far from the amp to work? One of the techs said the maximum distance is 200 feet. The outlet is about 120 feet from the amp straight through the house, running the cable up through the attics and down again would add maybe 40 feet. I don't want to go to more trouble and expense only to find out the system can't be made to work. As I mentioned before, some years ago we were having trouble with our reception and comcast recommended rewiring, which we did to the tune of $1000. That didn't fix the problem, and a tech came out and did something outside the house that fixed the problem. That's why I'm a little skeptical of Comcast's recomendations.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR - New TV setup

I have a Pace version 3 (blue light) DVR connected to a 5 year old Panasonic.  In a few days, I will be connecting it to a new Samsung.  Is there anything special that I could or should do to ensure that the picture and sound are sent correctly to the new TV?  I ask this, because when I got the Pace unit, it spent quite a long time in the learn about the TV phase of initialization.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR - New TV setup

I have a 3-year old Samsung connected to an a/v receiver.  My X1 DVR is also connected to the receiver.  I think if you connect a new Samsung LEDTV directly to the X1 DVR, it should work except for a possible EDID issue.  Turning AnyNet off in the Samsung might keep that issue from appearing.

Contributor

We resolved our problem ( DVR not able to link up to MoCA) by hiring an electrician to replace the cable between the amp and the DVR. So after three weeks, three techs, one supervisor, and several hours on the phone, we now have a functional X1 system. Thanks to everyone here on the forum, especially Andrew and Brandon, for all your help. Do I love the new X1 system? Yes. But I can't understand why it's so difficult dealing with Comcast. Except for the forum, no one seems to understand how the system works. The techs blame the other techs for the problems. The people on the phone seem clueless. Why didn't the first tech just check the signal strength to the DVR and tell us that if we wanted X1 we would need to upgrade the cable? The only people who seem to know what they are talking about are the folks here the forum.
Expert

@Malderman wrote:
We resolved our problem ( DVR not able to link up to MoCA) by hiring an electrician to replace the cable between the amp and the DVR. So after three weeks, three techs, one supervisor, and several hours on the phone, we now have a functional X1 system. Thanks to everyone here on the forum, especially Andrew and Brandon, for all your help. Do I love the new X1 system? Yes. But I can't understand why it's so difficult dealing with Comcast. Except for the forum, no one seems to understand how the system works. The techs blame the other techs for the problems. The people on the phone seem clueless. Why didn't the first tech just check the signal strength to the DVR and tell us that if we wanted X1 we would need to upgrade the cable? The only people who seem to know what they are talking about are the folks here the forum.

We forum "regulars" do know quite a bit becuase we've been there and done that....

Glad you got your system up and running!!!!

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

I am having the same issue. I always keep my X1 DVR around 70-80% and have never had any problems since I first got the X1 in 2013. However, this morning, I woke up and the DVR deleted several episodes of every show I have recorded and I am very upset because those episodes are not on OnDemand anymore and I have no way of watching. I can no longer be caught up on any of my favorite shows because it deleted some episodes of every single show I recorded. If there is a Comcast Representative who monitors these forums, please help me. I love my shows and I tried watching one episode of my favorite shows this morning that was six episodes past where I was in the series. I have tried the reboot, unplugging the box for 60 seconds and several other troubleshooting techniques to no avail. I am very upset and I know there has to be some way to fix this problem. Please advise. With the amount of money I pay Xfinity every month, this issue better be fixed as there is no excuse for the X1 box to delete my recordings automatically. I'm considering other Cable companies that have went me the same package I have now for 1/2 the price and, after viewing the extreme amount of customers all across the U.S. that have had the same problem yet were never able to restore the deleted episodes is very concerning to me as a customer of Xfinity for decades. After seeing all of these customers with the same issues, I will definitely be calling several other service providers ASAP today. I assume a red-letter Comcast employee - whatever that designation means- can fix this problem and if so, I expect this issue to be corrected today!!!! I am VERY ANGRY!!!!!
New Poster

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

Same problem here but it only happened once. One day I noticed a bunch of movies were gone. It figures that I can't find them On Demand.
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

Yesterday, I got a replacement X1 DVR, which identifies itself as ARRIS AX013ANM. Do you guys know what DVR is it? I thought it was original Arris model: XG1-A, but it looks like 'original' XG1-A is MX011ANM. What's the difference? 

Interesting thing.. This DVR is about two times lighter than XG1-v3 by pace.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

One is a V3 the other is a V1.  You can tell by the numerics in the name.

They are both XG1-A's.  You just got the latest version.

Problem Solver

@elter wrote:

Hi, 

Yesterday, I got a replacement X1 DVR, which identifies itself as ARRIS AX013ANM. Do you guys know what DVR is it? I thought it was original Arris model: XG1-A, but it looks like 'original' XG1-A is MX011ANM. What's the difference? 

Thanks.

Sounds like you have the very newest XG1, we haven't seen this box in the wild before.

Frequent Visitor

Hm. Tech also told me that he picked it up from a warehouse that morning and he had never seen such box before. I was a bit sceptical about it because XG1-A is a rare thing in general (for new deployements) so I was under impression I got an older box.

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, time will say. Is XG1-A v1 lighter than Pace v3? Now I'm really curious why this box is so light. 

Problem Solver

@elter wrote:

Hm. Tech also told me that he picked it up from a warehouse that morning and he had never seen such box before. I was a bit sceptical about it because XG1-A is a rare thing in general (for new deployements) so I was under impression I got an older box.

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, time will say. Is XG1-A v1 lighter than Pace v3? Now I'm really curious why this box is so light. 

Is the box the same size, and the same visually? I believe the Arris box is made of different materials than Pace boxes, I've noticed my Pace v3 is a bit heftier than my Arris v1 was.

The only real tangible differences with the Pace v3 box has been lack of component (which was already gone in Arris v1) and MUCH lower power consumption. The Pace v3 uses less power than the Pace or Arris v1 boxes. I would be interested to see what the power measurements for the Arris v3 are when they come out.

Edit: Here's the page I am referring to wrt power consumption: http://energy.cablelabs.com/comcast/

Expert

@elter wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks.

Can you provide the following?   L"xW"xH" ?????

I just searched the ARRIS product catalogue and  I am very curious about this....

Frequent Visitor

Size is not much different from Pace v3. I'd say they are almost the same.

I can do some measurements when I'm back home. 

Expert

@elter wrote:

Please do and post your results for all to see!!!   Smiley Happy
We ALL want to know about this one!!!

New Poster

Re: DVR Recordings Not Showing Up And Deleting

I just had X1 installed yesterday and having the same issue of recordings that I recorded last night no longer showing in my saved folder.
Official Employee

________

Per your account you have ArrisXG1V3, nothing new

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Per your account you have ArrisXG1V3, nothing new

Yes, but other replies in this thread suggest that ArrisXG1V3 is actually a new box. Now I'm really confused.

Expert

@elter wrote:
Yes, but other replies in this thread suggest that ArrisXG1V3 is actually a new box. Now I'm really confused.

Don't be....  we are all used to seeing ther PACE XG1V3 widely discussed....   you have the new ARRIS XG1V3.... lucky you!!!  <VBG>

Frequent Visitor

DImensions: 

13 5/8'' x 8 1/4''x 2 1/4''

weight: ~ 3lb 1oz

I've attached some photos. It looks exactly as XG1-A v1 if I googled it right. 

20150729_172656-1.jpg
20150729_172752-1.jpg
20150729_173310-1.jpg
Problem Solver

It seems to resemble my Pace v3 more than the Arris v1..
Expert

Re: DVR Recordings Not Showing Up And Deleting

@jgee1019 wrote:
I just had X1 installed yesterday and having the same issue of recordings that I recorded last night no longer showing in my saved folder.

several comcast (red letter names) read these posts but will need more information to look at logs. 

please list at least 2 assets (recordings) listing date/time/timezone of recordings, and name of the program. With that information they can determine if it was recorded and/or deleted. Do you by chance have the cloud-dvr in your area?

Regular Visitor

Hi.. Hopefully someone can help me out.

my video settings are 16:9 and all live shows look as expected.   However, most shows I record are 4:3 or movies in some strange format where is widescreen but only takes up a small portion of the actual viewing area.  

Any my idea why Dvr isn't taking in 16:9 for ALL recordings???

thx.  

Silver Problem Solver

From what you say, I suspect some programs are SD, which is either 4:3 or a streched picture with black bands above and below the picture.

Not all channels are in HD, which is a 16:9 format.