Community Forum

X1 DVR

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR

I don't remember any of my shows appearing in Saved until after they finished, but I could be wrong because I have never looked.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

x1 new bug to me.. watch a finished recording, at any time press record button. you will get a record verification menu hit confirm for "just this episode" menu will disappear without any notice of fail (in past said this program has already ended error). if you select "all episodes" you are presented with the full series settings option menu (new/same channel). wonder if this is a bug or a feature (that does nothing on just this episode).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings missing from my set-top box show up online in X1 Platform ?

I am having the same issue: my Dvr is not keeping the shows that I have recorded. I can find them all online but not in the Dvr itself.... Two calls to Comcast and it is still not resolved. Please help!
Silver Problem Solver

Any chance you were trying to record 5 or more programs at the same time period?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I'm actually quite pleased with the X1 DVR except for one major issue. Why can you only record up to 5 minutes before or after a program? Before I "upgraded" to the X1, I was able to record up to 15 or 20 minutes after the program. I watch WWE programming, and these shows rarely end on the hour. And even with the 5 minutes over, it still cuts off 5 to 10 minutes of my show. I should not have to record the program after mine just to pick up the end of mine.

Silver Problem Solver

The online DVR manager will let you record more than that.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/dvr

New Poster

Thank you very much! Not sure why they wouldn't have that option when you set up recordings on the tv. Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

@the1ace wrote:

Thank you very much! Not sure why they wouldn't have that option when you set up recordings on the tv. Thanks again!

From the DVR you can record longer overage time with sports, apparently the guide doesn't recognize WWE as a sport.  Why they haven't added several different overage times to any kind of programming is just one thinkg in a long list of poor UI choices they've made with the platform.  It's good you're pleased for now, hopefully that will last.  There are many great features, and just as long a list of features that could be great if they would work.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I'm writing to report on a very weird occurrance.  The TV was on and the box was tuned to the ABC HD channel.  At approx. 9 AM, the record light came on.  I didn't have anything set to record at that time.  The Recordings showed that nothing was in progress, however Scheduled showed that it was recording the NBC HD station!  I rebooted the box.  Interestingly it came back on tuned to the NBC station, not the ABC station that I had been watching.  After a minute or 2, the record light came back on.  Again, Recordings showed that nothing was in progress, while Scheduled showed that it was recording the news program on NBC.  I could not cancel the phantom recording.  At 10 AM, when the news on NBC was over, the recording light went out.  There was no evidence in Recordings that it have ever been on. 

I'm using an XG1-A with XRE 1.51.09  and STB 2.0p15s1.  I have never experienced anything like this.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Frequent Visitor

When is cloud storage coming?

I "upgraded" from 2 SA8300HDs, one with an external 1TB drive, to X1.  So I now have 500MB of storage vs. 2GB of storage.

500MB isn't enough.  I still have the SA8300HD with the 1TB external that I'm supposed to return soon.  I'm seriously considering keeping it an returning all of the X1 hardware.

Silver Problem Solver

Cloud doesn't increase storage.  If you need more than 500MB, return the X1 hardware.

Did you look at all the links in the first post of this thread?  They explain cloud.

Frequent Visitor

I did.  Comcast has said that there'd be online storage some day...  Of course, they also said the eSATA port would be enabled some day.

Gold Problem Solver

Those somedays you are talking about will never happen. At least not for free.

Some high level been counter within Comcast decided the 500gb is enough storage for everyone and if someone needs more than 500gb they will need to pay extra. Comcast will not add more than 500gb storage until they figure out how to charge for it and bill people for it.

@bhall139 wrote:

I did.  Comcast has said that there'd be online storage some day...  Of course, they also said the eSATA port would be enabled some day.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Cloud doesn't increase storage.  If you need more than 500MB, return the X1 hardware.

Did you look at all the links in the first post of this thread?  They explain cloud.

Robert,

You obviously haven't spoken to a comcast salesperson in a while. Some of the best in the business at making sales, sometimes "bending" the truth a bit (or a lot) to get you to sign up. Cloud was promised here in Seattle almost a year and half ago with unlimitted storage. Still waiting. Salespeople are rewarded for sales and will tell you anything to close like unlimitted cloud space, etc. It shouldn't be up to the customer to review forums to verify what comcast tells them.

My 2 cents. Great sales, incompetent development leadership, worst customer service anywhere. Last night was a perfect example of all this.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a fix for long deleted shows appearing on the TV App Recordings list, which also shows an erroneous capacity number. (I.e. 70℅ instead of the 50℅ the tv shows.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

@Rustyben wrote:

@rws8001 wrote:

Just traded in my first X1 a couple weeks ago for a more recent model because the old one was doing some goofy stuff. Just tonight, I lost most of what I had recorded and not watched. Rebooted the box to no avail. The shows are not in the deleted folder and it was nowhere near full. A message came up briefly while we were watching a recording and said it was having trouble with the dvr service. Then they were gone. It appears that this issue has been ongoing for two years or so. 

This has happened on several threads in the past, each time a red-letter-comcast employee has been able to fix the problem and the recordings (even ones being recorded when you can't see the current recordings) all become visible again. If your name used in the forum has your comcast primary email listed they can look up the account and fix it using that information. If not, they will send you a private message to get information.

Yea, never happened. The good news, it has happened again. Fingers crossed.

Frequent Visitor

Shake of head...  No (and irrelevant as the program was recorded)...

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem.  Got elevated to Tier 2 support.  They said all my recordings are showing in their system as being 'erased' - one step beyond when you manually just 'delete' them.  He suggested it was a signal strength issue and/or the DVR needs to be replaced.  They're sending a tech tomorrow.  

I found the Sync DVR option in the settings menu and tried it.  Not sure if it will have an impact.  

Gold Problem Solver

X1 DVR with Cloud Technology is available to a limited number of customers in select Comcast areas at this time.

So when will I be able to get Cloud?

I realize I am not in one of the "privileged" areas that are the first to get whatever new features/updates Comcast rolls out.

I also realize that there is a reason for market roll outs but it takes to long after the first one to filter down to everyone.  So here is what I want you to do-let me have Cloud or reduce my bill since I pay the same thing as those in the "privileged" areas pay and don't get the same features as them.

Silver Problem Solver

Good luck.  Others have said the same thing.  They haven't reported back on whether they were successful.  

And I doubt Comcast will change the way they bill.  Different markets have different "billing guidelnes", or whatever they call it.  Comcast would have to set up a different type of service.  Right now, if you have triple play, or double play, or whatever, there is no triple play with cloud and triple play without cloud.  Eventually, cloud will be availabe to everyone, so I doubt they will change things for a temporary situation.

But I'm just a customer, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Regular Contributor

@Queen-Evie wrote:

X1 DVR with Cloud Technology is available to a limited number of customers in select Comcast areas at this time.

So when will I be able to get Cloud?

I realize I am not in one of the "privileged" areas that are the first to get whatever new features/updates Comcast rolls out.

I also realize that there is a reason for market roll outs but it takes to long after the first one to filter down to everyone.  So here is what I want you to do-let me have Cloud or reduce my bill since I pay the same thing as those in the "privileged" areas pay and don't get the same features as them.

Careful what you wish for.  Most things associated with the cloud right now are causing issues.  I wish I could pay to get non-cloud based X1 functionality and just buy a huge amount of hard drive storage.

Gold Problem Solver

It's something I may or may not use.

Mostly it's the principle of it-all customers should have access to everything that is offered. Right now, Comcast plays favorites with areas with something new and updates.

Expert

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Mostly it's the principle of it-all customers should have access to everything that is offered. Right now, Comcast plays favorites with areas with something new and updates.

To add my 2 cents worth to what Queen-Evie has stated....

There does seem to be issues with areas that are newly assimilated ( yes, I said it ) into the CLOUD ( BORG ).....   Frankly, I would love to have Cloud, but am very LEERY of jumping on that bandwagon once the horses ( old nags ) finally get around to clumping into the South Florida market.....

Cloud is an option.... if you do not want to particiapte, you do not have to.... we always have CHOICES....  I may indeed WAIT until after the kinks/glitches/bugs/issues/gremlins have been found and put out of the customer's misery....

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

My guess is there is a direct relationship between which markets don't have Cloud DVR and which markets were going to be divested in the merger. Why would Comcast spend money to roll out Cloud DVR in markets they were going to essentially give away? I live in the Twin Cities and from everything I have been able to learn, we were never on the map as far as Cloud DVR is concerned but we were also a market that Comcast planned to divest.

I suspect now that the merger is off, Comcast is reconsidering their plans in regards to Cloud DVR rollout.

Just more of my 0.02cts worth...

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Contributor

X1 can't get anyroom DVR on one cable box

We had the X1 system installed last week. We have one DVR and four plain X1 boxes. Before the installer left we checked all the boxes and we could access the DVR on all of them. Strangely, though, we could not access a program while it was recording. The installer didn't know whether this was normal. The next day, none of the boxes could access the DVR. We called comcast and went through the usual rain dance of booting the boxes, sending signals, etc., to no avail. Finally, a tech came out yesterday, but couldn't figure out the problem after two hours. He then called in a supervisor and they worked on it for another hour and a half. They even went over to the neighborhood cable junction box and checked something on that. No dice. Finally they told me that there was either a signal splitter or a short circuit on the line to the outlet with the DVR and that was causing the problem. They told me that I needed to have an electrician check out the line. They also said that that might not fix the problem because we have a big house and the distance between the DVR and the boxes was too great. After they left I moved the DVR to a different outlet and moved the box from that outlet to where the DVR was. Lo and behold, all the boxes now communicate with the DVR *except* the one where the DVR was before! I had an electrician check the line and there is no signal splitter or short. I talked to comcast again and the guy wanted to try rebooting, etc., but I pursuaded him to "escalate" to problem. The lady I was escalated to didn't know how to solve it. She said she was going to sent it to engineering. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. I'm not very optimistic. Anyone have any suggestions?
Official Employee

Re: X1 can't get anyroom DVR on one cable box

Do you have any idea on how the cable is ran, splitters, amps? Etc

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

No splitters. I think there is an amp. It's a black box about the size of a deck of cards plugged into an electrical plug and tied into a cable.
Official Employee

Then you probably ( more than likely) have the wrong amp causing moca issues and hampering the boxes ability to communicate. If you don't see multiple ports on the amp you have splitter(s) somewhere

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I just checked your signal levels ( and you can too) the dvr is fine but the other boxes signal levels are garbage and your modem isn't much better. The dvr is only communicating with 3 out of 4 secondary boxes but because the signal levels are so poor that's why the boxes can't communicate. Unfortunately you need a second or third opinion and the correct equipment to balance your signal levels.

Contributor

Andrew, I have a number of questions regarding your answer: How do I check the signal levels and what is the minimum level needed? What "correct equipment" do we need? Also, I think when Comcast came here on Tuesday they replaced the amp. Did they install the wrong amp? Regarding the modem, theX1 bundle we signed up for included a new X1 modem/router. The Comcast guys who were here Tuesday said the first guy who installed the X1 put in the wrong modem and replaced it. They did not mention a signal problem to the modem. Could that be causing our problem? One other issue, sometimes the sound cuts out or studders with On Demand. If you hit the 15 second back up it fixes it for few minutes, then it starts again. One more thing, a few years ago we were having problems with our cable signal and Comcast recommended we rewire the entire house, which we did to the tune of about $1000. This did not fix the problem. Then one of your tech came out and did something outside the house and it was fixed. The house is wired with RG59 cable.
Expert

@Malderman wrote:
Andrew, I have a number of questions regarding your answer: How do I check the signal levels and what is the minimum level needed? What "correct equipment" do we need? Also, I think when Comcast came here on Tuesday they replaced the amp. Did they install the wrong amp? Regarding the modem, theX1 bundle we signed up for included a new X1 modem/router. The Comcast guys who were here Tuesday said the first guy who installed the X1 put in the wrong modem and replaced it. They did not mention a signal problem to the modem. Could that be causing our problem? One other issue, sometimes the sound cuts out or studders with On Demand. If you hit the 15 second back up it fixes it for few minutes, then it starts again. One more thing, a few years ago we were having problems with our cable signal and Comcast recommended we rewire the entire house, which we did to the tune of about $1000. This did not fix the problem. Then one of your tech came out and did something outside the house and it was fixed. The house is wired with RG59 cable.
Since it's early in the morning and Andrew is probably sleeping, I will take a stab at this...
ALL of the issues can be caused by that black box... (whatever it is)  In the X1 system, you will have a zero-loss amp installed, and the modem or gateway is put on a passthru port...  the DVR is then put on port 1, next ports are populated by the longest to shortest runs of cable...      X1 requires signal levels that are near perfect... what would work for your old cable box may not work with X1 as this system communicates everything both upstream and downstream and nothing actually occurs within the box ( saved recordings do ) but not much else...  even the GUIDE is cloud based and does not reside inside the box...
Rg59 will work with X1 provided the connectors are upgraded by the Tech...  old type connectors are garbage and should be replaced...    It's in your best interest to get a Tech back out, and continue to get Tech's back out until your signal levels allow for error free viewing and enjoyment of your X1 system.... you are paying good $$$ for these services and should not have to suffer.
-=Ray=-

Contributor

Thanks, Ray. I guess I'll just have to keep after them.
Contributor

I just hit "choose this solution" by accident. Obviously, the problem is not solved. How do I undo this?
Expert

@Malderman wrote:
I just hit "choose this solution" by accident. Obviously, the problem is not solved. How do I undo this?

Don't think the forums allow you to undo that...but my suggestion should stand... you need to get a competent TECH who knows/understand the nuances of X1 out to your place!!!!!

-=Ray=-

Gold Problem Solver

As Ray the Super Geek started to discuss, I think you have the wrong RF amp for X1. Amps that work with X1 are not so much amps or boosters but they are more signal "balancers". More importantly, with X1 the signal being returned to Comcast are just as important and the signals being received from Comcast. An amp that meets X1 specs pays special attention to the signals being returned to Comcast (active signal return, 0db insertion loss). The correct type of amp for X1 is critical and has been discussed quite often in this forum. Andrew has posted pictures of a couple of the correct models.

Malderman, even though you have had techs out the symptoms you mention suggest you still have signal issues. With X1, you need to think of both incoming and outgoing when discussing signals...

Signal issues are discussed in this forum on an hourly basis so if you require any confirmation/validation to any of this, please feel free to take a minute to do some reading in this forum...

@geek46 wrote:

@Malderman wrote:
Since it's early in the morning and Andrew is probably sleeping, I will take a stab at this...
ALL of the issues can be caused by that black box... (whatever it is)  In the X1 system, you will have a zero-loss amp installed, and the modem or gateway is put on a passthru port...  the DVR is then put on port 1, next ports are populated by the longest to shortest runs of cable...      X1 requires signal levels that are near perfect... what would work for your old cable box may not work with X1 as this system communicates everything both upstream and downstream and nothing actually occurs within the box ( saved recordings do ) but not much else...  even the GUIDE is cloud based and does not reside inside the box...
Rg59 will work with X1 provided the connectors are upgraded by the Tech...  old type connectors are garbage and should be replaced...    It's in your best interest to get a Tech back out, and continue to get Tech's back out until your signal levels allow for error free viewing and enjoyment of your X1 system.... you are paying good $$$ for these services and should not have to suffer.
-=Ray=-

Official Employee

Malderman, if you want to check your levels, 

Hold down the exit button about 5 seconds, down arrow 2x and then press the number 2

Scroll down to moca diagnostics, those are numbers of the boxes talking ( should be over 200), you'll see yours are under 150, some under 100

If you go to System, then docsis, you'll see the box's upstream power, downstream power and downstream SNR. 

Should be

Upstream between 30 and 50

Downstream between 10 and -8

SNR over 35

Contributor

Ok, I'll do that now. Btw, how can I add pictures to my comments?
Silver Problem Solver

When you select "reply to thread" there should be a bar across the top with icons and edit options.  One of the icons is to inser/edit image.

Contributor

I see no "reply to thread," only "add comment," "choose this solution," and "kudo"
Official Employee

Malderman, check your private messages. If you're having trouble with pics e-mail them to me and I can post them for you

Silver Problem Solver

When you clicked the reply button you should have gotten what I described, but you need to be logged into your Comcast account also before you enter the forums.

Contributor

Andrew: moca diagnostics had two screens, moca diagnostics details and moca mesh transmission rates. Are you talking about the transmission rates? The "system" menu doesn't have a "docsis" submenu.
Contributor

The box that's not working shows moca network status enabled, moca link status no link. It also shows moca mesh transmission rates as all dots, which I guess mean zero.
The treadmill box shows moca link as link up and transmission rates varying from 69 to 17572.
I'm not going to check any more until I'm sure that's what I'm supposed to be checking.
Contributor

Andrew, btw, I looked again at the mysterious black box plugged in in one of the upstairs bedrooms and it appears to be the power supply to the amplifer. I'll send you a picture if I can figure out how. It had two connections, one says "to amplifier" and has a cable connected to it, the other says "to TV/stb" and is not connected. I'll send you a picture if I can figure out how to do it. I also have a picture of the thing on the outside of the house, which is a PPC active return EV01-9-U/U. Again, I'd like to send a picture. See comment above about picture.
Gold Problem Solver

Now you know. You have a serious MoCA issue... Something is striping away the MoCA frequencies. Could be as simple as a bad or old school splitter.

@Malderman wrote:
The box that's not working shows moca network status enabled, moca link status no link. It also shows moca mesh transmission rates as all dots, which I guess mean zero.
The treadmill box shows moca link as link up and transmission rates varying from 69 to 17572.
I'm not going to check any more until I'm sure that's what I'm supposed to be checking.

Contributor

Rickrg4, per comcast's instructions I had an electrician check the line into the box without moca link and he could find no splitter.
Gold Problem Solver

The numbers don't lie. Something is preventing that box from seeing the MoCA signal. Are you on the phone calling Comcast to get another tech out???

Who knows. The box could be bad. I used a splitter as an example. Maybe the line running to that box has a cable tie down staple penetrating the coax cable.

Regardless, I don't see you fixing this without another tech visit...

@Malderman wrote:
Rickrg4, per comcast's instructions I had an electrician check the line into the box without moca link and he could find no splitter.

Contributor

Andrew, I emailed the photos.
RickGr4, I'm awaiting a phone call from comcast engineering. I've already talked to first level and second level customer service personnel. I'm going to have another tech come out but I want to talk to engineering first and emphasize that they need to send someone who knows more than the last three they sent. Btw, I don't think it's a bad box because I moved it to another outlet and it linked up to the DVR.
Gold Problem Solver

Then it sounds like your situation is under control!!!

@Malderman wrote:
Andrew, I emailed the photos.
RickGr4, I'm awaiting a phone call from comcast engineering. I've already talked to first level and second level customer service personnel. I'm going to have another tech come out but I want to talk to engineering first and emphasize that they need to send someone who knows more than the last three they sent. Btw, I don't think it's a bad box because I moved it to another outlet and it linked up to the DVR.

Official Employee

Malderman, you have the right amp for the job. Unfortunat...

Malderman, you have the right amp for the job. Unfortunately, until you get another tech there isn't much more that can be done. The tech will just have to compare the signal levels outside with the levels at the amp with the levels at the box to see where all the loss is coming from. And there should be a Poe filter on that input of the amp if it's not somewhere out of view of your picture.

If you can, when looking at the amp, ensure the dvr is on output 2 of the amp ( 3 from the right of input) then, port 1 would be your furthest outlet, and so on
image.jpg