Community Forum

X1 DVR

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR missing recordings

Sometimes my X-1 DVR will record a program in "parts".  Why, I can't tell you.  I have to watch one Part and then try to find the other Part.  I have a feeling that these DVR have problems!

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 DVR deleting recordings from box without my permission

Just lost more recordings. Con-cast claims that they have a firmware update that should prevent this from happening again. Total BS!!!!! I lost 11 of my 18 episodes of Big Bang Theory, and there's no chance of getting them back. They said the episodes were "corrupt"  Then they have the nerve to say that Tivo has a bad rep. I kept my storage below or at 70%. I also went on the phone app, and set my recordings to "only when I delete". Con-cast is so full of $%^t. They also told me that I can essentially go back to the old system, but lose functionallity a,nd still pay the same rip off costs.

Contributor

I'm having a problem on my X1 DVR: SLOW channel changes and LONG delays in response to the remote. Has been going on for several weeks now (maybe since the new FW rollout to my box). Doubt it's a signal issue as my X1 companion boxes are working well and all TVs are on the same feed to the house (with a comcast amp). Makes watching TV a painful experience! What's going on?

My X1 DVR: MX011AN_2.0p12s1_PROD_HYBse

Expert

@Penbare12 wrote:

Sometimes my X-1 DVR will record a program in "parts".  Why, I can't tell you.  I have to watch one Part and then try to find the other Part.  I have a feeling that these DVR have problems!

when a DVR goes offline for any reason (recording ends except by you the user ending it) the system restarts the recording as soon as it can and 'links' it to the original recording. When you play it back, when the playback hits that 'break' the DVR asks you if you want to play the next part of the recording. Most often this is caused by a reboot of a DVR when it is in process of recording.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@dfriswell wrote:

I'm having a problem on my X1 DVR: SLOW channel changes and LONG delays in response to the remote. Has been going on for several weeks now (maybe since the new FW rollout to my box). Doubt it's a signal issue as my X1 companion boxes are working well and all TVs are on the same feed to the house (with a comcast amp). Makes watching TV a painful experience! What's going on?

My X1 DVR: MX011AN_2.0p12s1_PROD_HYBse

if you have a smartphone, use the app xFinity TV Remote to find a channel on the guide and press it and see if the channel changes faster. You can use the smartphone app xFinity X1 remote like your local remote but it is 'through' the internet not having to be passed from your x1 device to comcast servers to have the commands processed. If the smart phone app controls the channel much faster than remote you may have signal issues with your 'upstream' data (like the keypresses on your remote).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

if you have a smartphone, use the app xFinity TV Remote to find a channel on the guide and press it and see if the channel changes faster. You can use the smartphone app xFinity X1 remote like your local remote but it is 'through' the internet not having to be passed from your x1 device to comcast servers to have the commands processed. If the smart phone app controls the channel much faster than remote you may have signal issues with your 'upstream' data (like the keypresses on your remote).

I'll give that a shot but I don't have the issue on my X1 companion boxes (non DVR). Those boxes are still on the 1.x firmware.

Expert

@dfriswell wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I'll give that a shot but I don't have the issue on my X1 companion boxes (non DVR). Those boxes are still on the 1.x firmware.

they have pushed out the 1.x>>2.0 updates per other threads many days ago. does unplugging them get the updates. That may be some of the issues if has to do with recordings-playback.

New Poster

This is the second time this has happened to me as well. It appears that if ON DEMAND doesn't have the show, it will delete the shows that are no longer on ON DEMAND. VERY ANNOYING!

Problem Solver

Just noticed I had a scheduled recording missed from Monday (Better Call Saul) because the DVR dumped all of my scheduled recordings. The "Sync DVR" option is gone now, too, so no fallback there. Had to re-input the schedule, not cool!

Silver Problem Solver

@scjohnson312 wrote:

Just noticed I had a scheduled recording missed from Monday (Better Call Saul) because the DVR dumped all of my scheduled recordings. The "Sync DVR" option is gone now, too, so no fallback there. Had to re-input the schedule, not cool!

FYI I still have Sync DVR.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@scjohnson312 wrote:

FYI I still have Sync DVR.

on 150.05 or 150.08?

Silver Problem Solver

1.50.08 03/19/2015 11:02

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

weird. I just rechecked still no dvr sync on menu. are you on firmware 2.0 patch level 12?

Gold Problem Solver

I have said this before and I will say it again. You guys are overthinking version numbers and version dates.

At last check, there are six different X1 boxes. You CANNOT HAVE A FLUENT AND ACCURATE CONVERSATION ABOUT SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE VERSIONS UNLESS THE EXACT MODEL NUMBER OF THE X1 device is considered. Pace and Arris X1 DVRs have different chipsets. That fact alone makes most comparisons mentioned in this forum TOTALLY INVALID.

Comcast has made COUNTLESS changes to X1 without changing version numbers or version dates. At times I feel that veteran members of this forum are so hung up on version information that they are misleading people away from finding the real solutions to their issues...

If forum members want to debate software and firmware issues, then they had better be perfectly clear about which X1 device they are talking about. Otherwise their input could be highly invalid and very misleading to newer forum members.

Silver Problem Solver

Pace greenie 2.0p12s1.

Edit:  Settings/Device Settings, last entry.

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

weird. I just rechecked still no dvr sync on menu. are you on firmware 2.0 patch level 12?

Problem Solver

The Sync DVR option returned to me with no version changes. (I've been on 1.50.08 and 2.0p13 this whole time).

Expert

for last week or so been on 1.50.08 and fw 2.0p12s1.

settings/device settings

last four are 

power preferences

screen saver

device name: computer rm

Device Lights

Regular Contributor

The last box update (mar 7) broke recording a show you are watching, again.  Once again you don't get what is in the buffer if you select to record something you are watching. 

This is bad. 

If you start watching something, like it, and want to save it, you can't. 

If you were watching something recorded and then discover whatever is on the channel you are on and is good, if you don't have time to go back and hour or whatever and watch from there right then, you've lost it.

etc, etc.  It was already partially broken before then when, once again, it was recording the buffer but the progress bar was broken.  You'd record an hour but according to the progress bar it was only 5 minutes.

Regular Contributor

the forward and backwards stuff is also broken.  Sometimes I'll hit 15 sec back and end up forward 5 minutes or at the very beginning or end, so forth and so on.

Frequent Visitor

Is there anyway to get more record options for favorites, like setting it so the program will go a minute later?

New Poster

Why am I paying for DVR service if Comcast will unilateraly erase my shows if they aren't On Demand?? I like watching TV shows several eps at a time (spoiled by Netflix bingewatching) so I save some. Now of the last four episodes of my show which I have had save for some time now, two are erased. Arbitrary episodes too. I had 3.13 to 3.16 saved, and my DVR erased 3.14 and 3.16. One of those eps is On Demand, the other is not. My DVR is only at 42%. We spend an obnoxious amount of money for Comcast, and the DVR is one of the best things about having cable in my opinion. So there shouldn't be problems. If there ARE problems, they should be solved in a timely manner. This thread is a year and a half old. No solutions. So why aren't we all just moving to another provider? There was six months in which you couldn't purchase a movie from On Demand because of a billing issue with the main office, according to the person I spoke to. SIX. MONTHS. And now this? We should be getting some money back. I pay my inordinately high bill every month on time or early. I should not be having problems with a service that worked perfectly well before the X1 changeover happened.

Silver Problem Solver

@Silvestris wrote:

Is there anyway to get more record options for favorites, like setting it so the program will go a minute later?

Look at the online DVR Manager.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/dvr?cmpid=xf_dash_dvr

New Poster

Help!  Just upgraded from legacy DVR boxes to X1 and I appear to have lost some significant functionality.  Final Four games ran over and my recorded program started 20 minutes late and when I tried to edit my recording times, I could not start the recording late, only 1-3 minutes early and I could not extend the time by 5 more than minutes.  I discovered if in Guide, I can select the network and hit record and extend the recording.  However, if the usual recording starts at 10 and I try at 9 to manually set the recording for 10:20, it wants to start recording at 9, you cannnot adjust the start time.  If it is 10:05 and I try to manually record, it will not start until 10:30.  The end result is that I have recorded approximatley 5 hours of TV to watch 2 hours.  This seems like an epic technical failure - certainly there must be a way to customize recordings like I could on the legacy DVR box.  

Expert

@alimack wrote:

Help!  Just upgraded from legacy DVR boxes to X1 and I appear to have lost some significant functionality.  Final Four games ran over and my recorded program started 20 minutes late and when I tried to edit my recording times, I could not start the recording late, only 1-3 minutes early and I could not extend the time by 5 more than minutes.  I discovered if in Guide, I can select the network and hit record and extend the recording.  However, if the usual recording starts at 10 and I try at 9 to manually set the recording for 10:20, it wants to start recording at 9, you cannnot adjust the start time.  If it is 10:05 and I try to manually record, it will not start until 10:30.  The end result is that I have recorded approximatley 5 hours of TV to watch 2 hours.  This seems like an epic technical failure - certainly there must be a way to customize recordings like I could on the legacy DVR box.  

hi, another customer here. First, I feel your pain. Second, it is just a DVR it can't tell the future, there is a 3rd party provided schedule and live games have been a problem since betamax (I'm old).

There is a DVR manager available after logging in on www.comcast.com select TV and find the DVR manager, or if you have a smart phone available download the xFinity TV Remote app. After doing a one-time login select DVR manager at the bottom. The web page (for laptops or desktops) and the smart phone page allow you to set a series for up to two hours more.

All that said, I don't follow sports but they always cause a problem for all the programs I do record after the live event.  I have a reminder on the phone that is set for mid-morning on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday and those mornings i look at the broadcast channels I usually record on and check for any live events just prior to what i'm recording. If they are there i select the 'show' after the ones i want to record and record them just in case. 

If you want to manually set each recording it is possible to record any particular channel up to max of 7 hours using the DVR program listing.

There has been some 'talk' of comcast being able to actually try to monitor end points in real-time of live programs and quickly adjust the shows affected by late (compared to the pre-published listings) ending time of live events. I don't know if they have tried that yet.

The new DVR does have 4 tuners up from 2 on the old legacy DVRs that does ease the pain. This is not the answer you really wanted, I know. 

New Poster

More X1 DVR issues....thinking I may need to downgrade to the legacy boxes.  Not being able to customize recording times like on the legacy boxes was bad enough but now I tried to watch a recording and apparelty the DVR reset and I only got a partial recording - all but the last 15 minutes of the show.  I tried to pull it off On Demand, but it will only let me watch the partial recording that I deleted.  I then permantaly deleted it and now the only option I get is to record the episode which has aired yesterday - when it is repeated in 2 weeks. Why is there no option to watch it ON Demand?  I spoke with someone that has the legacy box and they can watch it On Demand.  If I use my laptop I can get it On Demand - which is great, who wouldn't rather watch TV on their 13 inch laptop screen instead of their 55 inch flat screen.  

Regular Contributor

Hello all.  I'm reporting a really weird thing that happened on my Arris XG1.  I'm running xre 1.50.08 with stb 2.0p13.  I had 60 Minutes (1 time record), Madam Secretary (series record) and The Good Wife (series record) scheduled to record on CBS.  Due to the basketball game, the network was running 17 mins late.  I watched the 60 Minutes recording to its end, then went to see the last 17 minutes recorded in the Madam Secretary slot.  There was NO recording of Madam Secretary!  The Good Wife was recording by then, and I was able to see the that last 17 minutes of Madam Secretary was recorded there.  I looked in For You and in Recordings and could not find Madam Secretary.  I was about to call the X1 support line with this issue this morning, but  with one last look into recordings I found Madam Secretary!!  I double checked and checked the xre and stb versions to see if anything changed overnight ... nothing did.

Silver Problem Solver

@ThomT wrote:

Hello all.  I'm reporting a really weird thing that happened on my Arris XG1.  I'm running xre 1.50.08 with stb 2.0p13.  I had 60 Minutes (1 time record), Madam Secretary (series record) and The Good Wife (series record) scheduled to record on CBS.  Due to the basketball game, the network was running 17 mins late.  I watched the 60 Minutes recording to its end, then went to see the last 17 minutes recorded in the Madam Secretary slot.  There was NO recording of Madam Secretary!  The Good Wife was recording by then, and I was able to see the that last 17 minutes of Madam Secretary was recorded there.  I looked in For You and in Recordings and could not find Madam Secretary.  I was about to call the X1 support line with this issue this morning, but  with one last look into recordings I found Madam Secretary!!  I double checked and checked the xre and stb versions to see if anything changed overnight ... nothing did.

I had the same thing happen with Madam Secretary the last two weeks.  I had to delete my recording and watch it OnDemand the next day.

Expert

@ThomT wrote:

The GUIDE is published by a 3rd party company, days if not a week ahead.  There is no provision at this time for the Guide to make adjustments for LIVE sporting events/programs that go beyond thier time slots....   Unfortunate, but true...

-=Ray=-

Expert

@alimack wrote:

More X1 DVR issues....thinking I may need to downgrade to the legacy boxes.  Not being able to customize recording times like on the legacy boxes was bad enough but now I tried to watch a recording and apparelty the DVR reset and I only got a partial recording - all but the last 15 minutes of the show.  I tried to pull it off On Demand, but it will only let me watch the partial recording that I deleted.  I then permantaly deleted it and now the only option I get is to record the episode which has aired yesterday - when it is repeated in 2 weeks. Why is there no option to watch it ON Demand?  I spoke with someone that has the legacy box and they can watch it On Demand.  If I use my laptop I can get it On Demand - which is great, who wouldn't rather watch TV on their 13 inch laptop screen instead of their 55 inch flat screen.  

on your actual DVR does the recording show up (partial) in your 'my recordings' (it should be if deleted in 'recently deleted')?

the DVR probably by dma or contract won't let you watch ondemand episode if it is in your my Recordings. 

If all else fails, and you have a smart phone, use xFinity TV Remote, login, select your set top box name that you wish to watch on demand episode, and press the 'search' magnifying glass. type in the series name, touch the on-demand tab, "all episodes (HD) and find episode you wish to watch. Press play on TV. 

Silver Problem Solver

Today, there was no Episode 18 in OnDemand for Madame Secretary.

I had to use my PC to watch this episode.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Today, there was no Episode 18 in OnDemand for Madame Secretary.

I had to use my PC to watch this episode.

Since end of 2014 the 'on demand' episode list on the X1 devices rarely have shown all available episodes and appear to list only those available a week or more ago. eventually the last episode shows up there. However the smartphone app xFinity TV Remote has a search function, and a search there will show the current (last night's) episode with option to play on TV (use dvr manager at bottom to select x1 device name to 'use' currently with the app). When you hit play it will cause some related issues such as not showing up in last and therefore having no 'resume' point. If you check your position in minutes before you hit exit if phone rings etc make you interrupt viewing, you can search again and start over watching and page up 10 minutes at a time to just past the point you left and hit << rewind to back up the the minute 'marker' to restart from where you stopped watching. I know it is a kludge but sure beats watching it on ipad/iphone.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@ThomT wrote:

The GUIDE is published by a 3rd party company, days if not a week ahead.  There is no provision at this time for the Guide to make adjustments for LIVE sporting events/programs that go beyond thier time slots....   Unfortunate, but true...

-=Ray=-

I realize that the guide is static and doesn't account for long running sports or other programming.  It was that way on the legacy DVRs also.  My point was that the scheduled program did not show as recorded at all, until the next day!  Since my original post, I thought perhaps during the nightly re-boot, it somehow got synchronized with the cloud copy.  Does anyone have any knowledge on whether or not that is possible?

I sure would be nice if CBS routed overtime sports to an alternate channel, like ESPN used to do with NASCAR races that it moved to ESPN2 when they ran overtime.  Football ganes in particular run overtime a  lot!!

Frequent Visitor

"Look at the online DVR Manager.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/dvr?cmpid=xf_dash_dvr "

That doesn't work for favorites (ie, recording a certain actor). I can only get more options for series recordings or individual programs.
Regular Contributor

I've lost "buffer record" capability as well.  I assume it was removed because it was causing issues and now some other issues will be gone, or features have been added in it's place.

Ha ha, yeah....

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR - all recordings gone

On Monday March 30, all of the recorded shows on my DVR were gone. 

My scheduled recordings were still there and are recording, so there's no problem there, but I am wondering what or why all of the recordings disappeared from my DVR. 

I searched these forums and saw some suggestions to reboot the DVR, which I tried but to no avail. 

It grows increasingly frustrating, given the size of our bill, when these kinds of things happen. 

Expert

@SITCOM wrote:

My scheduled recordings were still there and are recording, so there's no problem there, but I am wondering what or why all of the recordings disappeared from my DVR. 

I searched these forums and saw some suggestions to reboot the DVR, which I tried but to no avail. 

It grows increasingly frustrating, given the size of our bill, when these kinds of things happen. 

hi,another customer here. two questions... did you just move and change accounts taking equipment with you? or perhaps have the cloud dvr feature (if so, have the missing recordings on the 'cloud')?

Silver Problem Solver

@SITCOM wrote:

Try the Settings Sync DVR.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@SITCOM wrote:

hi,another customer here. two questions... did you just move and change accounts taking equipment with you? or perhaps have the cloud dvr feature (if so, have the missing recordings on the 'cloud')?

Here are some web pages about Cloud.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-recording-playback-faq...

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-download-faqs

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@SITCOM wrote:

Here are some web pages about Cloud.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-recording-playback-faq...

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-download-faqs

the forum page to find out if you have it available (yet possibly not turned on yet) in your area is good too

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-Cloud/m-p/2497377#M64506

I get /x1user still on that page.

Contributor

Rustyben, I did not just move or change equipment. I DID have both of my devices swapped out about 2 months ago and knew that I'd lose all of my recordings when that happened.

This was more of a one day, movies and shows are showing under my recordings, next day NOTHING is there.  

When I log onto MyDVR through the XFINITY website, it also shows nothing prior to March 31.

Our area is not cloud-enabled, but that does not surprise me. I'm in Vermont, and there's not enough population density here for the newest tweaks.... though, it seems each new "feature" raises my bill and lowersmy oveall experience Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Upgraded to X1 when I moved to my new home last month.  Have had only minor, temporary issues so far.  However, last night, it was recording Gotham and Dancing with the Stars.  I noticed both had started recording.  Then, we started watching a previously recorded show on our DVR.  When we finished watching, I noticed that the new Dancing with the Stars episode was not on the DVR.  Tried waiting and rebooting the main box, but to no avail.  The next Dancing with the Stars is shown as scheduled, so the series recording is still active, but last night's disappeared - it's not even in the recently deleted folder.  So weird.  Now my wife is going to have to watch it on OnDemand where she can't fast foward during commercials.  Annoying.  I don't know if the problem was us watching a recorded show while recording two other shows or the box lost connectivity, but we should be able to do that; did that easily with our older boxes in the old home.  It just disappearing without a trace is just baffling.

Expert

@cattivo wrote:

Upgraded to X1 when I moved to my new home last month.  Have had only minor, temporary issues so far.  However, last night, it was recording Gotham and Dancing with the Stars.  I noticed both had started recording.  Then, we started watching a previously recorded show on our DVR.  When we finished watching, I noticed that the new Dancing with the Stars episode was not on the DVR.  Tried waiting and rebooting the main box, but to no avail.  The next Dancing with the Stars is shown as scheduled, so the series recording is still active, but last night's disappeared - it's not even in the recently deleted folder.  So weird.  Now my wife is going to have to watch it on OnDemand where she can't fast foward during commercials.  Annoying.  I don't know if the problem was us watching a recorded show while recording two other shows or the box lost connectivity, but we should be able to do that; did that easily with our older boxes in the old home.  It just disappearing without a trace is just baffling.

based on previous threads you might try hitting the xFinity button, (gear) settings>Device Settings> and select sync DVR. Let us know if it worked.

Regular Contributor

Major issue with the DVR now.

No more buffer recording, and now if you set a show to record and another show on the same channel to record 3 minutes early, right after the first show, the fist show recording stop 3 minutes before the show ends. It is as if the two tunners can't record the same channel at the same time anymore. It is rediculous. 

Expert

@DKSac wrote:

Major issue with the DVR now.

No more buffer recording, and now if you set a show to record and another show on the same channel to record 3 minutes early, right after the first show, the fist show recording stop 3 minutes before the show ends. It is as if the two tunners can't record the same channel at the same time anymore. It is rediculous. 

Comcast is aware of this issue and has reported that the "fix" will come around the end of April....

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@cattivo wrote:

based on previous threads you might try hitting the xFinity button, (gear) settings>Device Settings> and select sync DVR. Let us know if it worked.

Nope, didn't work.  :^/

Frequent Visitor

Same trouble 2015 most post are from 2014or 2013 so Im guessing comcast hasnt got a clue...

New Poster

X1 DVR

I drop tivo for x1 DVR, looking at the tv comercials looked like something good. Well it wasnt.
I change and got this service and phone, since day 1 nothing but problems. Call so many times for phone not working, got hangup every single day for 5 straight days. I was about to drop everything, cause really having to every day more than 1 time its non sence. Finally some one saw there was a problem and send a tech.

Now about the X1 DVR....every single day theres and error, no audio, pink screen, something went wrong......I mean really? Is this h9w its going to be all the time? Now I cant see guide, again theres a problem.......so here we go again, unplug and reboot......

Whats wrong really, if I have to call every day because theres a problem or run to the office to keep changing equipment...you guys have to start paying me for all this work.....

I think theres a lot to upgrade or fix equipments or train who ever is doing inspections on this products.

I was really hoping this was going to be good but its not....

Hope someone reads this and do something right.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR

Interesting new bug today.  I selected record for a live show, started watching something else, went to the Save list and the new recording does not exit.  I go to my Last Watched and select the show and it now acts as if I'm watcing a recording, I can rewind etc..  But there is still no recording showing up in the Recordings - Saved.

Also, in the Guide there is usually one show listing that is blacked out on every couple pages of the Guide, today there is one and sometimes 2 on every page.  A very interesting feature...

Silver Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

Interesting new bug today.  I selected record for a live show, started watching something else, went to the Save list and the new recording does not exit.  I go to my Last Watched and select the show and it now acts as if I'm watcing a recording, I can rewind etc..  But there is still no recording showing up in the Recordings - Saved.

Also, in the Guide there is usually one show listing that is blacked out on every couple pages of the Guide, today there is one and sometimes 2 on every page.  A very interesting feature...

Had the show ended when this happened?

Regular Contributor

No, the show was still going.  I schedule most of my recordings, and access them quite frequently before the show has ended (via Saved Recordings).  That's how I watch most sports. I start recordings on a show that I just happen to see less frequently, but I'm pretty sure I've done it before and accessed it through Saved Recordings in the past.