Community Forum

X1 DVR won't boot up - Stuck on CASE

New Poster

X1 DVR won't boot up - Stuck on CASE

Our X1 has been working fine until Wednesday of this week. Now the main DVR won't boot up at all. I chatted with tech support yesterday and went as far as moving it to another room to a TV with a box that was working and it came up fine. I've tried a new HDMI cable and it starts booting, but gets stuck with CASE on the box. I've tried plugging into a different HDMI port and still nothing and the Xbox works fine. Any ideas?

Official Employee

Re: X1 DVR won't boot up - Stuck on CASE

Hi harrietB, it sounds like it is getting stuck in the Card initialization process of the boot up and the code is "CAST". In reviewing the account I am not showing the DVR online, is it currently set up? 

Thank you

Silver Problem Solver

CAST is a normal part of the bootup process. What really matters is what is on your TV screen. Usually there's an error code, starting with RDK that says what the problem is. 

Gold Problem Solver

If you have an X1 box that works in one location but not another, that strongly suggests the problem is the location itself, not the X1 box.

There must be a problem with the wiring or connections at that location. If you aren't fluent in troubleshooting AV wiring and connections you probably should call Comcast and get a tech out to your house.

harriettB wrote:

Our X1 has been working fine until Wednesday of this week. Now the main DVR won't boot up at all. I chatted with tech support yesterday and went as far as moving it to another room to a TV with a box that was working and it came up fine. I've tried a new HDMI cable and it starts booting, but gets stuck with CASE on the box. I've tried plugging into a different HDMI port and still nothing and the Xbox works fine. Any ideas?

New Poster

Unplug power and coax cable for 30 seconds and then plug back in and box should reset.
New Poster

Well I unplug the ca lie box like three times and it is saying cast for about a while now I switched my living room around and I plugged things back in and it won't work why

Official Employee

After switching your living room, did you use the exact same cable outlet as before or a different one?