Community Forum

X1 DVR storage vs Cloud DVR Storage....

Contributor

X1 DVR storage vs Cloud DVR Storage....

My X1 DVR says it is 71%  full but when I access the recordings online, which I am assuming is the cloud DVR, it says it is 96% full.  What is the difference in storage between the 2?  I also notice that there are a few revordings on the X1 DVR that are not on the cloud DVR.  

Also, how do we know whats on cloud and what is on the X1 DVR?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR storage vs Cloud DVR Storage....

I only know that sometimes there are old recordings on the cloud that I have previously deleted from my two DVR's.  When I find them, I delete them and then the cloud space comes close to matching what the DVR's say.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

I only know that sometimes there are old recordings on the cloud that I have previously deleted from my two DVR's.  When I find them, I delete them and then the cloud space comes close to matching what the DVR's say.

The cloud has less recordings than the dvr but the dvr is at 60% and the cloud is at 82%.  That is a big difference!!

Expert

sherrisno wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

The cloud has less recordings than the dvr but the dvr is at 60% and the cloud is at 82%.  That is a big difference!!

I currently have a level 3 ticket open (3 DVRs but only have 1.1TB on cloud not !.5Tb) for same issue. so far it has been just short of two weeks and not resolved. It appears that the space provisioned on the cloud is less than 500GB per DVR on the account. by my calculation, 1.1TB /3 is only 367GB on the cloud whereas the local DVR is 500GB. So we get arount 25% less space on the cloud DVR than the home DVR?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Silver Problem Solver

Cloud DVR is provisioned at 500,000,000,000 usable bytes per DVR, not 500GB.

So 500,000,000,000/1024=488,281,250/1024=476,837.15/1024=465.66*3=1396/1024=1.36TB of usable cloud storage for 3 DVRs.

Local DVRs also have 500,000,000,000 byte HDDs, however, as shown above, that's 465.66GB, subtract any more for formatting, an OS, and/or any software stored on the HDD and it lowers the usable space even more. My own local DVR has about 415GB usable space. Although now that I actually say that, 50 GB of software seems like a lot for something that's mainly cloud based. My Windows 10 is only half that.

So this means the cloud should have a bit MORE storage than the local DVR. But yes, to the OP, check your recording list, there's probably recordings on your cloud that aren't on your local DVR.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having a similar issue but a much larger discrepancy.  My X1 DVR shows 22% full and my online Cloud DVR (through the app or on a computer) shows 88% full.  There are less shows on the Cloud version than were on the X1 DVR so what is the discrepancy?  Has anyone else had this issue and had it resolved?

Expert

and currently my 3 DVRs in home show at 38% while the x1 app for cloud DVR shows 59% full with same number of recordings

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone had this fixed yet or not?

Silver Problem Solver

vtcchokie92 wrote:

Has anyone had this fixed yet or not?

I fixed mine by deleting recordings in the Cloud that weren't on my DVR.  Now they are synced.

Frequent Visitor

Robert,

This is a system wide issue, not just me or a few others.  Your solution, unfortunately, won't work in my case.  My DVR has more recordings on it than the Cloud DVR, but it shows a much lower percentage fill.  According to Comcast, the system shows that I have 79% free space in the Cloud, but the Apps and online show that I only have 11% free space.

Valued Contributor

I have done a bit of testing on this issue and I think the problem is related to SD recordings. It seems that in the cloud the size of SD recording used to calculate the amount of space used is much larger than it should be... example:

I currently have 14 records. 7 are HD and 7 are SD... the DVR shows 11% full... cloud shows 24%.

If I delete the SD recordings so now I have 7 HD recordings... the DVR shows 10% full... cloud shows 12%.

I have tried this at various times with different numbers of recordings over the last few days and whenever I have only HD recordings the percentages are always within 2-3% of each other... as the number of SD recording increases the percentages get further apart... 

Valued Contributor

m45warrior1 wrote:

I have done a bit of testing on this issue and I think the problem is related to SD recordings. It seems that in the cloud the size of SD recording used to calculate the amount of space used is much larger than it should be... example:

I currently have 14 records. 7 are HD and 7 are SD... the DVR shows 11% full... cloud shows 24%.

If I delete the SD recordings so now I have 7 HD recordings... the DVR shows 10% full... cloud shows 12%.

I have tried this at various times with different numbers of recordings over the last few days and whenever I have only HD recordings the percentages are always within 2-3% of each other... as the number of SD recording increases the percentages get further apart... 

How does one notify Comcast engineers about this bug? I tried Customer Care but they are pretty useless. 

We record a lot of stuff, we use SD often so we don't have to worry about stuff getting deleted before we can

watch it. I fear that may start happening with the introduction of this bug in the cloud implementation. 

Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem...got up to level 3 tech and then to the supervisor.  I was told Comcast made a recent change and cloud is now limited to about 60 hours of recordings.  I record is sd to get more, hence 60.  (This may be different for hd).  So, last week, Comcast chose to remove my older recordings from the cloud so that only the latest 60 hours of shows appear on any of my apps.  My x1box is OK.

The problems are that comcast made no attempt to notify me prior to the change in their policy, levels 1, 2 and 3 (without the help of an engineer) were not aware of this change and you cannot decide which programs you want stored on the cloud for viewing and downloading via the app.  

So, as your cloud gets full (about 2% per hour), it will delete your oldest program from the cloud. This has no effect on your box.  If you download a program from the cloud, it still counts as storage. 

Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

rscarcello wrote:

I had the same problem...got up to level 3 tech and then to the supervisor.  I was told Comcast made a recent change and cloud is now limited to about 60 hours of recordings.  I record is sd to get more, hence 60.  (This may be different for hd).  So, last week, Comcast chose to remove my older recordings from the cloud so that only the latest 60 hours of shows appear on any of my apps.  My x1box is OK.

The problems are that comcast made no attempt to notify me prior to the change in their policy, levels 1, 2 and 3 (without the help of an engineer) were not aware of this change and you cannot decide which programs you want stored on the cloud for viewing and downloading via the app.  

So, as your cloud gets full (about 2% per hour), it will delete your oldest program from the cloud. This has no effect on your box.  If you download a program from the cloud, it still counts as storage. 

Hope this helps.

rscarcello... thanks for the information. I find it strange that Comcast would be counting hours instead of file size to compute usage... It's like the are penalizing you for using SD... :-)   We don't down load and rarely watch on-line so I guess I won't worry about it for now... Thanks again for the information. 

New Poster

This is unacceptable. What is the point of having a DVR if the cloud storage is lacking space?
Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Frequent Visitor

This is so aggravating. There are several old threads about how X1 box has an external hard drive port but that Comcast refused to activate it. For last three years help desk folks kept saying that the lack of storage won't be an issue once your town gets the cloud, just be patient. Turns out having the cloud just lets you view recordings on more devices but really doesn't actually add much more storage at all. Meanwhile I am now paying $190 for one tv, so so internet speed, one dvr, and a landline phone that I don't want but had to keep with the triple play. Have to constantly weed shows off dvr and have spent hundreds of hours copying them to dvd with my funky old recorder in order to keep the craft and cooking shows I want to save for future reference. Shows I could have saved easily with a $40 external drive. Have been looking into cutting the cord, paying the cancellation fee, getting an hd antenna and a TiVo, and using my Roku to stream everything else. But am trying to figure out how all that will work and how much internet will need.
Gold Problem Solver

I agree with what you said about recording storage space. It's not a new issue. I have been talking it about since I got X1 over three years ago.

HOWEVER. if you leave Comcast and get a TiVo, you are not truly cutting the cord. You will still need a Cablecard from Comcast and you still be buying a channel package of some sort from Comcast. You won't need an HD antenna because TiVo will bring in the local channels on any channel package you buy.

Also, it is important to keep in mind that many channels on Roku (especially premium channels) are not free on Roku. If you get a TiVo and Roku it could end up costing you just as much as Comcast does now if you subscribe to the same channels.

If you leave Comcast solely to save money you could be in for a shock if you want the same channels...

melissajroberts wrote:
This is so aggravating. There are several old threads about how X1 box has an external hard drive port but that Comcast refused to activate it. For last three years help desk folks kept saying that the lack of storage won't be an issue once your town gets the cloud, just be patient. Turns out having the cloud just lets you view recordings on more devices but really doesn't actually add much more storage at all. Meanwhile I am now paying $190 for one tv, so so internet speed, one dvr, and a landline phone that I don't want but had to keep with the triple play. Have to constantly weed shows off dvr and have spent hundreds of hours copying them to dvd with my funky old recorder in order to keep the craft and cooking shows I want to save for future reference. Shows I could have saved easily with a $40 external drive. Have been looking into cutting the cord, paying the cancellation fee, getting an hd antenna and a TiVo, and using my Roku to stream everything else. But am trying to figure out how all that will work and how much internet will need.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rick. This is been hard to figure out. Are you saying that TiVo will only record off of the cable and not the antenna or internet channel app like Sling?
Gold Problem Solver

I forgot. There is one TiVo model that can record from antenna.

HOWEVER, I have found that most people relying on antennas are disappointed with antenna reception, especially with indoor antennas. I live less than 11 miles away from the local TV towers (I can clearly see the towers from the window in my loft) yet I struggle to cleanly receive all of the channels I should receive, even though I have tried a variety of premium indoor antennas. I have yet to find an indoor antenna that can reliably receive BOTH the local ABC and NBC channel. It's usually one or the other. Also, if you try to replace all of your Comcast channels with Roku type box (I have four Roku boxes including the new Roku Ultra) you may end up spending just as much.

X1 has some glaring weak spots. Poor recording capacity. Lack of guide adjustibility. Lack of channel and favorites management. Slow motion which is much too fast and no frame by frame. Overly simple remotes that don't do enough.
But when signal levels are within specs it work pretty well and is very reliable. My GF and I are fairly happy with it. Add to that Comcast just raised our internet speeds to 240mbps so we will probably stick with Comcast (pending the upcoming change to 720p/MPEG-4)...

melissajroberts wrote:
Thanks Rick. This is been hard to figure out. Are you saying that TiVo will only record off of the cable and not the antenna or internet channel app like Sling?

Regular Contributor

So, if I'm following this, the box still uses file size to calculate storage, while the cloud uses hours. So the cloud may run out of space prior to the box. In this case, I can still watch the shows on my DVR that may have been deleted from the cloud? 

I'm not that interested in the cloud recordings except as a potential backup to the box in case of a crash. 

Problem Solver

dbvirago2 wrote:

So, if I'm following this, the box still uses file size to calculate storage, while the cloud uses hours. So the cloud may run out of space prior to the box. In this case, I can still watch the shows on my DVR that may have been deleted from the cloud? 

I'm not that interested in the cloud recordings except as a potential backup to the box in case of a crash. 

Not sure who you are replying to since this thread has gone completely off its rails with people talking about TiVos, Rokus, and HD antennas, but yes, the set-top box is using file size to calculate storage, while the Cloud DVR uses hours. It very well could be possible for the Cloud to run out of space prior to the set-top box. So much for keeping things in sync.

Valued Contributor

dbvirago2 wrote:

Yes the DVR holds far more than the cloud, especially if you record in SD. We like to record a lot of shows to save. We currently have 196 (62%) recording ons the DVR... only 53 (91%) recordings are in the cloud. The clould fills up to about 99% and then deletes the 10% of oldest shows.     

Regular Contributor

Thanks, that helps. 

Contributor

I've noticed lately the Cloud DVR and X1 box storage percentages have both aligned lately.

Not sure if the Xfinity team is experimenting with the storage percentage or not.
Regular Contributor

Seems to be happening to me also. Hopefully, the team is basing both on the same parameters. Storage should always be calculated by file size, not time of content. And if a new format allows smaller file size for HD, that should create more storage, not less. 

Both showing 33 shows (1 hr ea), one says 13%, the other 14%. Either way, this is closer to the storage I was expecting recording only SD shows. 

Expert

dbvirago2 wrote:

Seems to be happening to me also. Hopefully, the team is basing both on the same parameters. Storage should always be calculated by file size, not time of content. And if a new format allows smaller file size for HD, that should create more storage, not less. 

Both showing 33 shows (1 hr ea), one says 13%, the other 14%. Either way, this is closer to the storage I was expecting recording only SD shows. 

From what I can see on my cloud DVR, and from other threads on the X1 forum, the Cloud DVR does not seem to count SD/HD recordings differently. The cloud DVR appears to have the last 60 hours (first in first deleted) of recordings.

Contributor

I noticed the percentages matched again for a day or two. But now it's back to what they did before. Now I'm at 98% on the cloud and 69% on the home dvr. I wish I could choose which shows record to the cloud instead shows I actually want to download now have disappeared. This is also very troublesome because Comcast is migrating to only a cloud based dvr so this tells me that they plan to cap us at 60 hours of recordings going forward. This it frustrating when directv offers 200 hours of HD and dish offers 400 hours. Comcast needs to step up their game here because 60 hours isn't going to cut it.
Problem Solver

melias31 wrote:
I noticed the percentages matched again for a day or two. But now it's back to what they did before. Now I'm at 98% on the cloud and 69% on the home dvr. I wish I could choose which shows record to the cloud instead shows I actually want to download now have disappeared. This is also very troublesome because Comcast is migrating to only a cloud based dvr so this tells me that they plan to cap us at 60 hours of recordings going forward. This it frustrating when directv offers 200 hours of HD and dish offers 400 hours. Comcast needs to step up their game here because 60 hours isn't going to cut it.

While I agree with you that the 60 hour limit is low, having a way to choose which shows record to the Cloud will NOT solve the issue. It would just create more issues with users complaining that a show they wanted didn't get recorded to the Cloud because they "forgot" to pick that option.

You already have a way to protect a show from getting quickly deleted from the Cloud. Change its "Record Options" to "Save for 1 year". If you mark all your "important" shows "Save for 1 year", then they won't get purged automatically (at least for 1 year anyway).

Of course, the "Save for 1 year" option is not a cure all though. If you mark everything with that option (and you record a lot), then eventually your Cloud DVR will just stop recording new shows. Eventually, once a recording reaches the 1 year mark, it too will get purged from the Cloud. Nothing can reside on the Cloud over 1 year. Not sure why Comcast made that rule, but that is how it works.

Regular Contributor

That's what I was seeing prior to yesterday. Now they are both counting the same, with SD recordings taking the same amount of space on both home and cloud DVRs. I hope this continues.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. The were in sync for 1 day and then reverted back to the cloud calculating based on 60 hours. If they are going to jerk us around on that, I wish they'd just stop the cloud business and let me keep my shows locally. The only advantage for me going to the cloud was having a backup in case of a crash. If that's not going to happen, there is no advantage to the cloud and a disadvantage of only 20% of the capacity.

I didn't realize the competition had such high capacity. If we become limited to 60 hours, I will definitely take another look at the other guys

Expert

dbvirago2 wrote:

That's what I was seeing prior to yesterday. Now they are both counting the same, with SD recordings taking the same amount of space on both home and cloud DVRs. I hope this continues.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. The were in sync for 1 day and then reverted back to the cloud calculating based on 60 hours. If they are going to jerk us around on that, I wish they'd just stop the cloud business and let me keep my shows locally. The only advantage for me going to the cloud was having a backup in case of a crash. If that's not going to happen, there is no advantage to the cloud and a disadvantage of only 20% of the capacity.

I didn't realize the competition had such high capacity. If we become limited to 60 hours, I will definitely take another look at the other guys

They said the cloud is the last 60 hours - no effect on your home DVR limit.

Regular Contributor

Now the online % is back in line with the on TV %. Do they know that every time this changes, it's because someone changed a program. And changed it back. And changed it again. Spend that development time, fixing the TV schedule

Regular Contributor

The cloud capacity seems to be changing every few days.  Sometimes it aligns with the DVR and sometimes it seems limited to 60 hours.  It would be nice if someone from XFINITY would chime in and tell subscribers what's happening.  This is nuts.  BTW, if you delete something from the cloud, it is also deleted from the DVR.  So there is no way to stay within the 60 hours without deleting shows.

Anyone out there who is connected with XFINITY who knows why this is happening?  And when it will be resolved one way or another?  I used to be able to watch anything on my DVR remotely.  Now I can only watch what's in the cloud.  Is there any way to watch what's on the DVR since anything recorded prior to October 1, 2016 is not in the cloud?

Expert

orfartenbuehl wrote:

The cloud capacity seems to be changing every few days.  Sometimes it aligns with the DVR and sometimes it seems limited to 60 hours.  It would be nice if someone from XFINITY would chime in and tell subscribers what's happening.  This is nuts.  BTW, if you delete something from the cloud, it is also deleted from the DVR.  So there is no way to stay within the 60 hours without deleting shows.

Anyone out there who is connected with XFINITY who knows why this is happening?  And when it will be resolved one way or another?  I used to be able to watch anything on my DVR remotely.  Now I can only watch what's in the cloud.  Is there any way to watch what's on the DVR since anything recorded prior to October 1, 2016 is not in the cloud?

the cloud DVR is allowed 60 hours and older recordings are removed as necessary to allow space for new recordings. 

Regular Contributor

As orfartenbuehl reports, the online percentage flips back and forth every couple of days. I've begun to ignore it, but I'm sure it's confusing for anyone who hasn't visited this forum. 

Regular Contributor

When I spoke to Xfinity about 3 months ago, the 3rd tier tech rep said that the Northern VA would be up to the full 500gb cloud storage after the new year.  And that many areas of the country were already at that level.  The limit of 60 hours is not supposed to be permanent.

Also, if I have read the posts correctly, shows deleted from the cloud because of lack of space are NOT deleted from your DVR.  If that starts happening, then xfinity is useless.  An opinion I've pretty much come to after 15 up years as a customer.  Unfortunately, all the other providers are also useless.  Their only concern is gettin new customers, not keeping old ones.

Expert

orfartenbuehl wrote:

When I spoke to Xfinity about 3 months ago, the 3rd tier tech rep said that the Northern VA would be up to the full 500gb cloud storage after the new year.  And that many areas of the country were already at that level.  The limit of 60 hours is not supposed to be permanent.

Also, if I have read the posts correctly, shows deleted from the cloud because of lack of space are NOT deleted from your DVR.  If that starts happening, then xfinity is useless.  An opinion I've pretty much come to after 15 up years as a customer.  Unfortunately, all the other providers are also useless.  Their only concern is gettin new customers, not keeping old ones.

I've not seen anything on a change to cloud DVR on any of the forums here announced by Comcast employees.

Frequent Visitor

I have an X1 DVR Anywhere box in my main room that can be shared across all of the networked X1 cable boxes.  There is simply more space on the actual DVR hard drive than allowed in the cloud (I hear 500Gb).  My DVR is likely 1.2 TB or so as with 40% full on my DVR it began deleting cloud recordings and listed the clould as 99% full.  You have to set the recordings to "1 Year" instead of the default "Until Space is Required" within the record options which can be done at the time you set the recording or after it is recorded.  Any recordings set to "Until Space is Required" will be deleted with the oldest recording first from the cloud although they will still be on your DVR hard drive and able to be viewed at home (but not on your phone or computer from the cloud - they are gone).  It seems by design and not a bug - I have replicated the behavior more than once.  Most Comcast agents don't know how it works so will tell you everything is in the cloud.  I got a senior tech once to confirm what I listed above.  I hope that helps.

Contributor

@BocaJesse wrote:

I have an X1 DVR Anywhere box in my main room that can be shared across all of the networked X1 cable boxes.  There is simply more space on the actual DVR hard drive than allowed in the cloud (I hear 500Gb).  My DVR is likely 1.2 TB or so as with 40% full on my DVR it began deleting cloud recordings and listed the clould as 99% full.  You have to set the recordings to "1 Year" instead of the default "Until Space is Required" within the record options which can be done at the time you set the recording or after it is recorded.  Any recordings set to "Until Space is Required" will be deleted with the oldest recording first from the cloud although they will still be on your DVR hard drive and able to be viewed at home (but not on your phone or computer from the cloud - they are gone).  It seems by design and not a bug - I have replicated the behavior more than once.  Most Comcast agents don't know how it works so will tell you everything is in the cloud.  I got a senior tech once to confirm what I listed above.  I hope that helps.

Well I just had a recording deleted from my home dvr when the cloud filled up!  So I quickly set the rest there to "1 year" so it doesn't happen again.  Is that a bug or not?  It's been stated the cloud recordings will be removed to make room, but it shouldn't have deleted from the home dvr too since the percent used was only 30% at the time the cloud hit 100%.

Expert

@Scree wrote:

@BocaJesse wrote:

Well I just had a recording deleted from my home dvr when the cloud filled up!  So I quickly set the rest there to "1 year" so it doesn't happen again.  Is that a bug or not?  It's been stated the cloud recordings will be removed to make room, but it shouldn't have deleted from the home dvr too since the percent used was only 30% at the time the cloud hit 100%.

when older recordings are removed from the cloud DVR the home DVR is unaffected and files are not deleted. if you delete a recording from the cloud DVR it is deleted from home DVR, too.

Contributor

With only 60 hours allowed for recording I wish they would let us designate which shows are saved to the cloud so that the shows I want in the cloud are kept instead of ones I don’t need.

Silver Problem Solver

@melias31 wrote:

With only 60 hours allowed for recording I wish they would let us designate which shows are saved to the cloud so that the shows I want in the cloud are kept instead of ones I don't need.

The only solution I found was to rent additional DVR's.  Not any help for one-TV families.

Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@melias31 wrote:

With only 60 hours allowed for recording I wish they would let us designate which shows are saved to the cloud so that the shows I want in the cloud are kept instead of ones I don't need.

The only solution I found was to rent additional DVR's.  Not any help for one-TV families.

You can also set the recording you want to retain the most to save for 1 year. Not the best solution but it does help.