Community Forum

X1 DVR show Pst in display. what does that mean

Frequent Visitor

X1 DVR show Pst in display. what does that mean

The LCD display shows what appears to be the letters Pst. anyone know what that means? It is accompanied by the RDK-03004 error on the screen. 

Official Employee

Re: X1 DVR show Pst in display. what does that mean

It means that you don't have a usable signal going to that X1 box. How sure are you that you have a live signal?
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The companion STBs are able to view live and on demand. cannot access recordings though

Official Employee

johnniesmith wrote:

The companion STBs are able to view live and on demand. cannot access recordings though

The companions that you have, don't depend on the DVR for live TV and On Demand only to access the recordings. Try swapping locations with the dvr and one of the working companions and that will tell if it's the box or cable outlet.

Right now all of your equipment (modem included) is showing offline. No outages reported.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. My Internet is fine but I have no TV or phone connectivity. I've rebooted both the modem and the STB and still no connection. I'm using the app to troubleshoot but it fails to connect. Is there anything else I can do before I call a tech?

Thanks,

Mrs. Lopez

Silver Problem Solver

Llopez4438 wrote:

I'm having the same problem. My Internet is fine but I have no TV or phone connectivity. I've rebooted both the modem and the STB and still no connection. I'm using the app to troubleshoot but it fails to connect. Is there anything else I can do before I call a tech?

Thanks,

Mrs. Lopez

I would first call Comcast customer service and ask them to run an "Einstein 31-point check" on your STB.  I suspect your box just needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to get it to reboot.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Hi Llopez4438, in reviewing your account I am showing upstream signal issues that are likely prompting this error. I would recommend getting a technician out as it looks like these signals may be originating outside your home.  I will send you a private message to get a technician scheduled.

Thank you

New Poster

I've been having the same issue all day. X1 box stays on IPST and then says "something's not quite right" with a RDK-03004 or sometimes a RDK-03030 error message. I've been replugging, rebooting, etc. many times. Our internet and phone service is fine, it's just the X1 TV that won't come on. We did just activate our new voice remote yesterday but I wouldn't think that's the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

rickb1207 wrote:

I've been having the same issue all day. X1 box stays on IPST and then says "something's not quite right" with a RDK-03004 or sometimes a RDK-03030 error message. I've been replugging, rebooting, etc. many times. Our internet and phone service is fine, it's just the X1 TV that won't come on. We did just activate our new voice remote yesterday but I wouldn't think that's the issue.

It isn't.  X1 is very sensitive to signal issues ( which can also be caused by the weather ) on your wiring infrastructure.  As a first step, ensure that all connections are tight at wallplates. splitters and boxes.  If it continues, call into Comcast to schedule a TECH visit.

Official Employee

Hi rickb1207, I have responded to your private message.  Thank you

New Poster

I know this is old but same problem. Everything is right. Nothing moved or changed. Just a PST display and no internet. I have a standard box that is working fine.
Gold Problem Solver

Jeimep,

If you are getting the RDK 03004 error message and your internet is going down, that means there is a big problem with your connection quality to the Comcast network.

Jeimep wrote:
I know this is old but same problem. Everything is right. Nothing moved or changed. Just a PST display and no internet. I have a standard box that is working fine.

Official Employee

Jeimep wrote:

Your node/neighborhood is presently experiencing Upstream SNR issues being worked on by the maintainance team ( no ETA for a fix). Your DTA doesn't rely on the same signals that your modem and X1 do, hats why it's working.

Regular Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
It means that you don't have a usable signal going to that X1 box. How sure are you that you have a live signal?    Very sure I have a signal.

New Poster

Hello @comcastphil  @comcastandrew  
Any chance you can check my upstream signal and see if it looks like something's going on in my neighborhood.  my X1 box is showing the same errors as the original poster... accompanied by lost internet signal as well.  All happened at the same time (sometime Friday 4/28) and issues have continued intermittently since then.  I called customer service on Friday and scheduled to have a tech out - they were supposed to come yesterday afternoon but the appt was cancelled randomly - explanation from comcast was that an outtage in the area had been fixed.??  Seems theres still something going on outside the house.

Official Employee

Hi wblmhl, I am unable to pull up signals for your cable box, please let me know if you are still experiencing any issues with your cable service.

Thank you

Official Employee

Hi jvinfante1, thank you for working with me via private message, and glad to hear a tech was able to come out and correct your underlying issues.

Thank you

New Poster

We are having the exact same issue. Rebooting only works on occasion. Please help, I'm at my wits end here.

Official Employee

Rebean555 wrote:

We are having the exact same issue. Rebooting only works on occasion. Please help, I'm at my wits end here.

You may want to get a tech out. Both your dvr's upstream and downstream signal levels are far out of spec and the reason behind the errors. In comparison your modem, which uses the same stats is in spec but just barely. 

Upstream 58dbmv (should be between 35 and 51)

Downstream -16dbmv (should be between 10 and -8)

New Poster

Thanks for your reply. Is the tech visit going to cost me money? If so, I'd prefer to just get my old box back that didn't have these issues. Just an HD like I have in one of the bedrooms would be fine. The new X1 equipment is what isn't working, since it requires a better signal apparently.  I'll take this back to Comcast.

Official Employee

If it's internal wiring than yes there's a service charge, if it's outside the house there isn't. You can go back to legacy boxes anytime, if you choose. But why wouldn't you want to fix something in your house that will eventually cause more issues? If you get the service protection plan and keep it for 60 days there's no service charge.

New Poster

I am having the very same issues.  Only the x1 Boxes are not displaying a signal. The outdoor digital box receives signal just fine and works. Phone and internet are fine.

Silver Problem Solver

williamtolp wrote:

I am having the very same issues.  Only the x1 Boxes are not displaying a signal. The outdoor digital box receives signal just fine and works. Phone and internet are fine.

Pst is short for Post, which means the box is trying to boot up.  First thing to try- unplug and plug the boxes back which will get them to start rebooting over again.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I have unplugged and plugged the x1 main box with the Dvr and the small x1 box in another room several times and they still will not boot entirely and connect.

Expert

williamtolp wrote:

I have unplugged and plugged the x1 main box with the Dvr and the small x1 box in another room several times and they still will not boot entirely and connect. 

the 'small x1' box won't work until the DVR works. What is the error code on your DVR set top box connected TV screen?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

williamtolp wrote:

the 'small x1' box won't work until the DVR works. What is the error code on your DVR set top box connected TV screen?

The small box that they have is a RNG150

How is your cable configured, any amps etc?

Edit-Presently all boxes are showing online but out of spec. It's possible there were signal fluctuations that knocked your cable boxes offline earlier.

Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

williamtolp wrote:

Edit-Presently all boxes are showing online but out of spec. It's possible there were signal fluctuations that knocked your cable boxes offline earlier.

that explains the 'on-demand' when trying to play a recorded asset.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

williamtolp wrote:

rustyben, What are you referring to?

Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

williamtolp wrote:

rustyben, What are you referring to?

the non-DVR devices that have their own DOCSIS modem (XG2 and rng150) are still able to play on-demand assets when the DVR(s) are offline. 

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR dropping signal or displaying 1PST with a screen Error Code-03004

Error Code: 03004 indicates weak signal

Ever since I upgraded to the X1 I have been having the same problems.  I would re-boot sometimes the signal would come back work for a while then drop out again.  In researching I discovered the new X1 requires a very good and strong signal.  After giving it some thought I realized, with technology changing every day and the demand for more HD quality and High Speed modems exceeding 150, what would reduce cable signal?  Your splitter!   If your are using a 1GHz/900MHz Splitter I would suggest you up grade to a 2GHz Splitter.  Since I upgraded I have not had a problem.  I'm running 3 TV's.  

Hope this helps.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR dropping signal or displaying 1PST with a screen Error Code-03004

Roadking169 wrote:

Error Code: 03004 indicates weak signal

Ever since I upgraded to the X1 I have been having the same problems.  I would re-boot sometimes the signal would come back work for a while then drop out again.  In researching I discovered the new X1 requires a very good and strong signal.  After giving it some thought I realized, with technology changing every day and the demand for more HD quality and High Speed modems exceeding 150, what would reduce cable signal?  Your splitter!   If your are using a 1GHz/900MHz Splitter I would suggest you up grade to a 2GHz Splitter.  Since I upgraded I have not had a problem.  I'm running 3 TV's.  

Hope this helps.

or just call Comcast and let the tech check out the signals. They handle the zero gain splitters and ensure the MoCA signal is working to allow your set top boxes communicate.

New Poster

I have the same issue... repeatedly.
Official Employee

Trapgeek wrote:

You may need to get a tech out. Both your DVR and your modem are far out of spec.

DVR. It may be a plant or drop issue.

Both devices

Upstream 58dbmv-should be between 35 and 50

Downstream -16dbmv-should be between 10 and -10

If you have anything more than a 2way splitter, remove any extras to try to get back into spec

Expert

Trapgeek wrote:

when you are having the issue at the moment call 800-Comcast and let them run their remote tests and if necessary, schedule a technician to come to your home.

Silver Problem Solver

In regards to tech visits, I had a pleasant experience in Houston yesterday:

I had an issue with my Xfinity Home smoke alarm and the tech came to the door (earlier than first scheduled) and one of the first things she said was that there was an issue with one of my three DVR's.  I didn't know about it but her scan of my system before she even knocked on the door alerted her to it.

She found the issue with the smoke alarm (it had to be replaced because it had been disconnected from the network too long).  

Then she found that one of my DVR's was connected with a 6 foot coax cable that was causing the issue.  She replaced it with one from her truck and said the SNR was now within specs.

The last thing she did was to check to see if I had a MoCA filter installed;  I did not have one.  She got one from her truck and installed it up in the attic where the zero-gain filter was installed.  It is the standard EVO filter that was installed when I got the X1 system.

Kudos to her.

New Poster

So... basically... I have to pay to get my service turned back on? Same error. Multiple resets have failed. Remind me what my motivation is not to kill cable and just get a fire stick is?
Gold Problem Solver

Most of us are Comcast customers just like you. Your post does not make a whole lot of sense. Care to be more specific?

FYI, "sticks" do not fully replace cable TV and if you get the same channels, sticks can cost just as much as cable tv.

Also, you need to have high quality internet service for sticks to work properly. 

Lynnberly wrote:
So... basically... I have to pay to get my service turned back on? Same error. Multiple resets have failed. Remind me what my motivation is not to kill cable and just get a fire stick is?

New Poster

Easy. From everything I've read, I now have to wait in a service cue on the phone to have the pleasure of waiting at my home for a notoriously late tech (when I should be at work) to pay someone to fix a service I'm already paying for that worked fine yesterday. So why not just cut their cable, use the internet for a fire stick and any of the free watch all you want channels? Or hey. Netflix is $10.
I've had this product for 9 months. I have yet to go a single billing cycle without having to call someone to fix something so that I can watch the expensive tv I pay for. The frustration levels I'm currently experiencing could power this box bit for a signal.
Gold Problem Solver

You will watch the "free channels" using your stick once or twice and then forget about them. Seriously, WCCO 4 News in the Twin Cities just talked about this the other day. "Cutting the Cord" does not match cable TV services and if you try to match the channels that you get with cable you will spend just as much.

I have Comcast X1 but I also have plenty of other ways to "stream" TV from the internet. I have four Roku boxes which probably offer more channels and content than any other streaming device. Trust me, they don't fully replace cable TV.

FYI, no matter what TV service you have it is always possible to get a bad box. Stuff happens...

Lynnberly wrote:
Easy. From everything I've read, I now have to wait in a service cue on the phone to have the pleasure of waiting at my home for a notoriously late tech (when I should be at work) to pay someone to fix a service I'm already paying for that worked fine yesterday. So why not just cut their cable, use the internet for a fire stick and any of the free watch all you want channels? Or hey. Netflix is $10.
I've had this product for 9 months. I have yet to go a single billing cycle without having to call someone to fix something so that I can watch the expensive tv I pay for. The frustration levels I'm currently experiencing could power this box bit for a signal.

New Poster

It completely replaces what I watch. I went off the stick last year and gifted it to a friend of mine. The free streaming apps are wonderful. Was a mistake I won't repeat. As I'll be refreshing mine tomorrow. For the record? Kodi has everything. I never should have deviated from what I knew worked.
Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like you have a good fit for your needs....

However I just read up on Kodi. If you want poor picture quality, poor sound quality and tremendous inconvenience just to pirate TV services then you go ahead and do that.

Lynnberly wrote:
It completely replaces what I watch. I went off the stick last year and gifted it to a friend of mine. The free streaming apps are wonderful. Was a mistake I won't repeat. As I'll be refreshing mine tomorrow. For the record? Kodi has everything. I never should have deviated from what I knew worked.

New Poster

hi COMCASTPHIL,  I am having the same issue. About every 7 to 8 days my X1 box will freeze and i will reboot it. When i comes back it has the 1 pst error and then to the cant connect to x1 error on the screen.  I contacted customer serv and they asked me to have the box replaced which i have, however i still have the same issue. I even replaced the internal splitter with a new one from comcast. When i initially set up the box i had a clock etc, but now just the 1 pst error.  Can you test my up/down signal by chance?  

Admin1

Hi topher626 -- I can help with your DVR issue. I tested your signal and it is showing major upstream issues along with T3 timeouts. We would want to get a tech out to location to resolve this issue. I can get that scheduled for you. I would need you to verify your account information in order to do so. Please send me a PM with your full name, address, phone number on the account or account number along with days/times that work best for you. 

New Poster

Hi,

Just joined because I found this via googling, and I am having the same issue.  There's more backstory here, but the gist is that I'll get the pst code every week or so, try unplugging/replugging the box back in and that doesn't work.  I'll remove the amp I have and then it'll work for another week or so.  Then same thing, but then I'll add the amp back on and it'll work again.  Getting frustrating having to do this.  I called when it first happened and phone tech wasn't very helpful, just told me to keep rebooting, then to schedule an appointment.  Pretty sure I just need to rewire my house as there are splitters everywhere, just hoping one of these forum techs can help out checking my signal with/without the amp to confirm that it is, in fact, best to just rewire the house.  Looking forward to the PM so I can provide the necessary information.  Thanks.

Dave

Official Employee

I don't think you need to rewire the house but remove the splitters that you don't need/use. You only have a modem and dvr. Modem is well within spec and the dvr isn't.
DVR's upstream is 57db, should be under 51db, removing amp and splitters should get you where you should be.

Official Employee

I don't think you need to rewire the house but remove the splitters that you don't need/use. You only have a modem and dvr. Modem is well within spec and the dvr isn't.
DVR's upstream is 57db, should be under 51db, removing amp and splitters should get you where you should be.

Official Employee

Hi @dlaude6. Were you able to remedy your issue with ComcastAndrew's suggestions? 

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Put longer cable between cable outlet and DVR. It is on and shows the time. However the TV says no signal.
New Poster

I receiving this same error.  Went to turn on my TV and the box rebooted, then I receive the 1PSt error.