Community Forum

X1 DVR on a Sony Bravia XBR-75X850 freezes several times a week.

Frequent Visitor

X1 DVR on a Sony Bravia XBR-75X850 freezes several times a week.

Ever Since I switched from Direct TV to Xfinity my TV freezers when using the X1 DVR.  I have to do a complete reset on the  X1  and then everything is good for a day or so then it comes back. I have spoken to Sony and they went through everything on the TV side and they find no issues, I have had an xfinity tech out and he replaced the X1.  but still have the issue. I am at wits end.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR on a Sony Bravia XBR-75X850 freezes several times a week.

@kwmc wrote:

Ever Since I switched from Direct TV to Xfinity my TV freezers when using the X1 DVR.  I have to do a complete reset on the  X1  and then everything is good for a day or so then it comes back. I have spoken to Sony and they went through everything on the TV side and they find no issues, I have had an xfinity tech out and he replaced the X1.  but still have the issue. I am at wits end.

A recent software/firmware update pushed on the X1 platform a month or so ago created some HDMI handshake issues, especially with Sony TVs.  What you're seeing could be realated to that, but it could also be signal levels since you're newer to Xfinity.  If it freezes and gives no error messages (and you still have audio), that may point to the HDMI handshake problem.  Do you have any pattern of when you see the frozen screen ... when you turn on the TV?  when you switch inputs?  It may help the troubleshooting if a pattern is seen.

I know I found with my Sony that if I turn off the TV on an input other than the X1 box I will lose the X1 signal and have to reboot the X1 box.  I have to make sure to tune back to my X1 input before I turn off my TV.

Frequent Visitor

Mostly happens when I access my DVR to play recorded shows. Does not happen on other TVs that use same DVR through wireless receivers.
Highlighted
Contributor

my XBR-55X850B is doing the same thing

Frequent Visitor

DVR freezing

i dont understand with as many issues with freezing  that are on this forum that there is no resoluition to the issue. aI have been told thast it was my TV . I never had the issue with Direct TV. I really wish Xfinity would get this issue resolved. It is not my TV.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR freezing

@kwmc wrote:

i dont understand with as many issues with freezing  that are on this forum that there is no resoluition to the issue. aI have been told thast it was my TV . I never had the issue with Direct TV. I really wish Xfinity would get this issue resolved. It is not my TV.

It's almost always a connection issue.  You can re-seat and tighten all connections and also schedule a tech visit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

They have already been out and according to the tech no problem found.
Silver Problem Solver

@kwmc wrote:
They have already been out and according to the tech no problem found.

You can swap out the box at your nearest Xfinity Store at no charge.  You only have to give them the box; you can keep all the wires and the remote.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Already swapped it out same issue
Silver Problem Solver

@kwmc wrote:
Already swapped it out same issue

Did you try a tech visit?

Expert

@Brocktoon wrote:

@kwmc wrote:

A recent software/firmware update pushed on the X1 platform a month or so ago created some HDMI handshake issues, especially with Sony TVs.  What you're seeing could be realated to that, but it could also be signal levels since you're newer to Xfinity.  If it freezes and gives no error messages (and you still have audio), that may point to the HDMI handshake problem.  Do you have any pattern of when you see the frozen screen ... when you turn on the TV?  when you switch inputs?  It may help the troubleshooting if a pattern is seen.

I know I found with my Sony that if I turn off the TV on an input other than the X1 box I will lose the X1 signal and have to reboot the X1 box.  I have to make sure to tune back to my X1 input before I turn off my TV.

This has been an ongoing problem since I joined the forum back in 2016. The difference between Samsung and LG oled highend televisions versus Sony equivalents is that Sony uses an Android based CPU. It simply does not play well with Comcast equipment.  Handshake issues between Samsung "smart" tv's and Comcast were resolved quickly. This was done by updates from both Samsung (for my tv) and from Comcast. The same for LG.

Sony and Comcast tend to put the blame on each other, but this difference in operating systems seems to be a hard nut to crack. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Long time X1 customer and never had issues with my Samsung 75s. Switched to Bravia about six months ago and still in 2019 I lose the X1 input. Thought it was leaving on HDMI 2 (Apple TV) when I turned off too but it happens when I'm sure to tune back in to HDMI 1 (Xfinity). Almost always happens after tv is turned off for a long time like overnight. Have to turn cable box on and off again.

I have power save off. Nothing works but a reset. My settings are to leave the box on and tv off on shutdown (harmony remote)
Expert

@Darrenweingard wrote:
Long time X1 customer and never had issues with my Samsung 75s. Switched to Bravia about six months ago and still in 2019 I lose the X1 input. Thought it was leaving on HDMI 2 (Apple TV) when I turned off too but it happens when I'm sure to tune back in to HDMI 1 (Xfinity). Almost always happens after tv is turned off for a long time like overnight. Have to turn cable box on and off again.

I have power save off. Nothing works but a reset. My settings are to leave the box on and tv off on shutdown (harmony remote)

use the voice remote "about". what is the rest of the line to right of STB Version ... ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

STB: PX13AN_3.3p6s2_PROD_sey
Expert

@Darrenweingard wrote:
STB: PX13AN_3.3p6s2_PROD_sey

that is a companion xi3 set top box, and I don't recall any issues of losing contact with a port with that model. you might try changing it for an XG2 companion (same price) that has its own tuners/DOCSIS modem.

New Poster

Thanks. Will give it a try. I'm trying a setting where the box is turned off when not in use (on devices via Harmony remote) and seeing if that takes care of it.