Community Forum

X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR

Regular Contributor

X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR

So I recorded the season premier of Krypton on Syfy last night.  As I was watching other programs I saw the recording light come on, and checking the menu after recording I could see the physical recording on my Arris XG1V3 DVR box.

 

Woke up this morning and noticed there was no '% full' lisitng under my recording menu.  It just listed 1 recording without % used info.  I then noticed that my Krypton episode had become a cloud recording as when I watched it had the cloud symbol showing in the corner.  Inferior picture quality and only 2.0 sound.  I did a quick dummy recording this morning and noticed while it recorded to my DVR, the %full info was no longer showing.  It still only shows the # of programs recorded without the showing the space used.

 

I rebooted the box and % used info came back.  I cleared all the recorded shows and will try some additional recording tests today.

 

There seems to be a lot of X1 platform outages/issues recently and I even got service credit due to a major X1 platform issue a couple weeks back.  My equipment and signal levels are fine and everything appears to be working OK except for the X1 interface and how it's been handling DVR recordings.

 

Is there a point where Comcast will make it known that they're messing around with the X1 platform and the DVR recording as they're trying to switch everyone over to cloud recording?  I've had a bunch of X1 platform service issues over the past few months along with plenty of other folks.  Custoer service appears to be oblivious and only want to swap equipment.

 

Is there another X1 platform issue in my area again?  The last few times this happened Comcast wanted to swap my equipment or send a tech only to admit later that there were issues with the X1 platform

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR


@Brocktoon wrote:

So I recorded the season premier of Krypton on Syfy last night.  As I was watching other programs I saw the recording light come on, and checking the menu after recording I could see the physical recording on my Arris XG1V3 DVR box.

 

Woke up this morning and noticed there was no '% full' lisitng under my recording menu.  It just listed 1 recording without % used info.  I then noticed that my Krypton episode had become a cloud recording as when I watched it had the cloud symbol showing in the corner.  Inferior picture quality and only 2.0 sound.  I did a quick dummy recording this morning and noticed while it recorded to my DVR, the %full info was no longer showing.  It still only shows the # of programs recorded without the showing the space used.

 

I rebooted the box and % used info came back.  I cleared all the recorded shows and will try some additional recording tests today.

 

There seems to be a lot of X1 platform outages/issues recently and I even got service credit due to a major X1 platform issue a couple weeks back.  My equipment and signal levels are fine and everything appears to be working OK except for the X1 interface and how it's been handling DVR recordings.

 

Is there a point where Comcast will make it known that they're messing around with the X1 platform and the DVR recording as they're trying to switch everyone over to cloud recording?  I've had a bunch of X1 platform service issues over the past few months along with plenty of other folks.  Custoer service appears to be oblivious and only want to swap equipment.

 

Is there another X1 platform issue in my area again?  The last few times this happened Comcast wanted to swap my equipment or send a tech only to admit later that there were issues with the X1 platform


FYI, that episode is in my Recordings folder on my X1 DVR and on the Stream website.  Is your recording on the Stream website?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR

I never use the stream website, but the epsiode was showing on both my X1DVR box and the website.  I recorded 2 hour long shows this morning to test the DVR to interesting results.  to sum up so far:

 

- Started with an empty DVR, as my DVR recordings mysteriously got wiped again a couple weeks ago.

- Recorded Krypton last night and after it recorded it did show 1% full and the recording on the DVR

- Woke up this morning to find no '% full' listing, not even 0% full, but my recordings on the DVR box show 1 recording.  When I stared to play it, it was somehow a cloud copy.

- Recorded 2 diffrent hour long programs this morning

- The X1box DVR menu showed the 2 hours of programming but now said 6 % FULL ... I have a 1 TB drive and 2 hours of programming should not take up 6%.

- Checked one of the programs and it played back fine and was NOT cloud but from the hard drive

- When I deleted one of the programs my spaced dropped from 6% to 1% ?

- Check the other program which recorded to the hard drive fine and when I deleted, the usaage dropped away with the message that I have no recorded programs.

 

I still feel that this is all related to the X1 platform DVR problems a lot of customers are seeing.  I was already getting recordings deleting themselves as well as old phantom recordings coming back after months.

 

Now I guess you can add:

- some recording are disappearing and turning into cloud recordings

- The '% usage/full' meter is sometimes disappearing or reading incorrectly

 

I wonder if some recording are still actually on my hard drive somewhere and that's why my %full jumped up to 6% after only recording 2 hours of programming?

 

Everything else seems to be working fine.  My signals (that I can read on my modem and X1 diags) are great and the live TV and on demand have no issues.  Menus are quick with no lag issues.  It just seems to be the X1 DVR service has gone to junk in recent months.

 

My theory remains that Comcast is making changes in the background to the DVR service as they switch people to cloud services only.  I think this is causing untintentional consequences to many of the customers who are on the X1 platform and still use a physical hard drive based DVR.

 

I can't find a pattern to these X1 DVR problems only in that it seems to relate to how the physical DVRs seem to have trouble keeping synced info with Comcast's cloud base.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR


@Brocktoon wrote:

I never use the stream website, but the epsiode was showing on both my X1DVR box and the website.  I recorded 2 hour long shows this morning to test the DVR to interesting results.  to sum up so far:

 

- Started with an empty DVR, as my DVR recordings mysteriously got wiped again a couple weeks ago.

- Recorded Krypton last night and after it recorded it did show 1% full and the recording on the DVR

- Woke up this morning to find no '% full' listing, not even 0% full, but my recordings on the DVR box show 1 recording.  When I stared to play it, it was somehow a cloud copy.

- Recorded 2 diffrent hour long programs this morning

- The X1box DVR menu showed the 2 hours of programming but now said 6 % FULL ... I have a 1 TB drive and 2 hours of programming should not take up 6%.

- Checked one of the programs and it played back fine and was NOT cloud but from the hard drive

- When I deleted one of the programs my spaced dropped from 6% to 1% ?

- Check the other program which recorded to the hard drive fine and when I deleted, the usaage dropped away with the message that I have no recorded programs.

 

I still feel that this is all related to the X1 platform DVR problems a lot of customers are seeing.  I was already getting recordings deleting themselves as well as old phantom recordings coming back after months.

 

Now I guess you can add:

- some recording are disappearing and turning into cloud recordings

- The '% usage/full' meter is sometimes disappearing or reading incorrectly

 

I wonder if some recording are still actually on my hard drive somewhere and that's why my %full jumped up to 6% after only recording 2 hours of programming?

 

Everything else seems to be working fine.  My signals (that I can read on my modem and X1 diags) are great and the live TV and on demand have no issues.  Menus are quick with no lag issues.  It just seems to be the X1 DVR service has gone to junk in recent months.

 

My theory remains that Comcast is making changes in the background to the DVR service as they switch people to cloud services only.  I think this is causing untintentional consequences to many of the customers who are on the X1 platform and still use a physical hard drive based DVR.

 

I can't find a pattern to these X1 DVR problems only in that it seems to relate to how the physical DVRs seem to have trouble keeping synced info with Comcast's cloud base.


the symptoms you describe may indicate hard drive failure on the XG1. is it a new unit or old one? the XG1v4 (no clock) DVR has no spinning hard drive it uses solid state memory technology. since it is empty might be a good time to try out the xg1v4.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR Thinks it's a Cloud DVR


@Rustyben wrote:


the symptoms you describe may indicate hard drive failure on the XG1. is it a new unit or old one? the XG1v4 (no clock) DVR has no spinning hard drive it uses solid state memory technology. since it is empty might be a good time to try out the xg1v4.


I'm using an Arris XG1V3, but it appears to be running fine.  I'll swap equipment as a last resort, but it doesn't appear to be a hard drive issue.  Last night I got a chance to drop by a neighbor who also has an XG1V3.  He's not very tech savy but when I checked his recordings it was showing 40+ programs but he also had no '% full bar' at all.  I checked some of his recording and they were viewing from the hard drive, but as I mentoned the DVR space meter was no where to be found.

 

I performed a sysetm refresh last night that may have helped as my X1 usage bar came back and I test recorded a few shows overnight that now seem fine this morning.  But now since running a system refresh my modem/intenet data usage meter has dissapeared from the website ... the same thing happened a few weeks ago during muti-day local X1 platform outage issue.

 

I just think this could possibly be related to some local backend issue that I'll never get any info about