Community Forum

X1 DVR Not recording complete show start to end

Regular Visitor

X1 DVR Not recording complete show start to end

X1 DVR is not recording the entire show as scheduled. It starts at tht correct start time, but ends before the end time. The amount of recording can be random, anywhere from 7 mintues into theprgram to 10-30 mintues short of the end time. I have swpped out the X1 box today, but te problem still remains. It is frusterating.  If this cannot be solved I am thinking of changing service.

Official Employee

Re: X1 DVR Not recording complete show start to end

Hi @Yusui3,

Would you be able to share what program and listing you had set to record and or what settings you had configured.  It might help us determine if it's an underlying data problem with the program/listing or if it's something else altogether.

Thanks and sorry you are having trouble with your DVR service.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi William, Thanks for contacting. I raised this issue with Comcast online Help group and I was told that the issue has beem escalated with id of CR831225027.  Anyways I programmed a few recordings and here are the results from yesterday and today's experiment.

2/11

TV Japan, Your Home is my Business, Program 8:15 -9:15 PM MST, Recorded only 8:15 to 8:50.

(For this recording, I aslo watched live and confirmed Red LED was ON the eintire show time.)

CNN, Tucker Carlson:  Program 10:00 -11:00PM MST,  Result:  OK, 60 min recorded

TV Japan, 10 KM run at Travel Destination:  Program 10:30 - 11:00PM MST, Result, recorded only 1030 - 10:31.

2/12

CNN, Don Lemon: Program 1:00-2:00AM MST, Results OK, full 60 min recorded.

TV Japan, NHK News 7: Program 5:00-5:30AM MST, Result OK, Full 30 min. recorded.

TV Japan, NHK News Watch 9, Program 6:00-7:00AM MST, Result, recorded only 6:00 - 6:25.

Looks like the problem may be limited to TV Japan recordings.  This started sometime in mid January, since I had no issues recording until around that time.  How could the data be "corrupted" that recording cannot be done?  The DVR Red LED for recording stayed ON as per the programmed time.

Expert

@Yusui3 wrote:

when watching are you watching on your home DVR or streaming? if on home, while playing press the OK button. lower left does it show source is DVR or DVR with a white cloud icon in front of it?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@Yusui3
@ComcastWilliam
It looks like @ComcastKenF is working with engineering on an identical issue with recording the same channel
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/partial-recordings/td-p/3192781

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks,

I will monitor the other thread to find resolution.

Frequent Visitor

I, too, have a similar problem recording TV Japan programs on Comcast Xfinity DVR since mid January 2019.  I dealt with Comcast Xfinity tech for several days to troubleshoot the problem but he didn't understand the problem.  He asked me to record the TV Japan program and go over the issue with him but the recording program is random (happens to different program at different time of the day).  A TV Japan customer service told me that they would deal with the problem directly with the Comcast, and replied to me a couple days ago that Comcast tech told them that the issue was resolved.  I told TV Japan that the problem still exists.  I live in Fremont, CA and receives TV Japan program on channel 3180 or 330.  The Comcast recording problem is limited to TV Japan programs.  I can record the entire program for American networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, ESPN, PBS, etc) and Japanese program Fuji Sankei FCI News on Crossing TV channel 238, and NHK World on channel 817 broadcast daily.  I asked TV Japan customer service whether I was the only TV Japan subscriber that experiencing this problem and they were mum on this issue.  I thought that many other TV Japan customers were experiencing the same problem and I'm glad that I saw this forum.  My recording capacity is alway about 50% empty so the lack of memory is not the cause.

Regular Visitor

Hi, I spoke with Xfinity rep and she acknowledged that this is being worke by theri back end tech support.  I did not get any indication of resolution timing, but at the least, they know a problem exists and are working.

Regular Visitor

I have same problem since early Feb 2019. It works ok on 705 CBS, but shorter reocrdings than its programmed on Ch 3180 TV Japan. Since I didn't change any configuration for last few months, I believe it is server side issue, but at this moment no ways to track down the issue. I live in Cupertino CA.

Regular Visitor

I just sent an online form to TV Japan support (from their HP) complaining about this issue. Everyone who is having this issue should write  to TV Japan so they will up the priority for the fix.

Frequent Visitor

The problem continues into today, 02/15/2019 (Delicious Japan and Asaichi).  I sent e-mail message on 01/31/2019 with Excel spreadsheet indicating the Xfinity channel (330 or 3180), starting and ending time of the scheduled TV Japan program, date, program title, Episode title if any, recording time and method of recording, automatic (mostly for series) or manual.  Sometimes I attached a snap shot of TV screen showing the recorded duration in horizontal bar in minutes.  I don't know how Comcast Xfinity DVR recording is configured but since it knows the starting time and ending time of the scheduled recording, the Comcast engineer should focus on the communications between the individual Comcast Xfinity customer's DVR box and the Comcast main server wherever it is located.

Frequent Visitor

The problem still exists but this morning, Saturday 2/16/2019, I noticed additional problem.  When I was watching "Ronboon" playback the i (INFO) display showed 30 minutes of recording but it ended at 9.53 minutes of viewing.  This problem is new to me.  I recommend TV Japan to record their broadcast on Comcast Xfinity and take a note of playback problems.  Something is not right with the Xfinity X1 recording algorithm.

Regular Visitor

I spoke to couple of my friends, and two of them noticed same issues. Not sure this caused by TVJapan side or Xfinity at this moment, but with reading above messages, I am convinced that the problem was not only my local area (SF Bay area). I will also submit an inquiry to TVJapan. Hope this issue is fixed sooner.

Highlighted
New Poster

I subscribe to TV Japan through Comcast in Manassas, VA. I am having trouble recording some shows. All of my other channels record with no problems. For example, I had no problem recording Aibou didn't record last week, but recorded fine this week. Tenchijin records for two minutes. The 8 year engagement only recorded the first half hour. 

New Poster

We are also having the same issues of having the TV Japan shows not recording in full. Some shows have been programmed for years and recorded fine without a problem up until last month. I have already missed so many shows that I was interested in watching and it is quite irritating as I do not know who is responsible for the reported issues. Does it have anything to do with the equipment we have? We have, I believe, is the first generation Xfinity X1 device we’ve had for years.
Regular Visitor

In speaking with Comcast/Xfinity rep, the support folks are working to identify and resolve the issue with the Guide program.  More customer voices raised to BOTH Comcast and TV Japan should get more focus. Pleae write or contact both of them.  

Frequent Visitor

Since I cannot attach my Excel spreadsheet of my TV Japan recording problem for your viewing, if you want to see my list and make a similar spreadsheet for the TV Japan's use, please send me an e-mail message to <Edited>  and I will send you my list.  TV Japan normally forward my list to Comcast Xfinity.  When TV Japan and Comcast Xfinity receive your list, they would notice that the Comcast DVR recording problem is universal to Comcast Xfinity subscribers.

Regular Visitor

Regarding the recording problem with TV5Monde:

Later last week, I was contacted by the support team to try recording with the non-HD channel 317 instead of the HD equivalent 3265 because apparently they fixed the non-HD channels. So we changed the recording options to 317. Unfortunately, we still end up with partial recordings. So we still don't have a working solution of any kind.

Regular Visitor

We also have the same problem /  Our regional channels  Zee /  sony/  straz   are not getting recoedded .  programme get recorded for short durations 

New Poster

I am having the same problem with recordings of TVJapan,  this should be resolved as soon as possible  @Yusui3 @ComcastKen

Regular Visitor

@Jnegah wrote:

I am having the same problem with recordings of TVJapan,  this should be resolved as soon as possible  @Yusui3 @ComcastKen

You shouldescalate the issue to BOTH Comcast support and TV Japan support. More complaints, more focus on resolution. 

New Poster

Same problem with TV5 Monde, no resolution so far & no one at Comcast has voluntered that other had similar issues.

JCM

New Poster

Mine is doing it sometimes too & I am not watching Japan. It has done it for Criminal Minds on WE & it has done it on CBS & Comedy Central.

New Poster

we have the same problem with zee tv/sony/ willow TV. Very frustrating that they have not been able to fix it. Have spent hours with them on the phone. Even had a tech visit us ! No progress so far.

New Poster

Also, no visibility at all from Comcast re what is being done to fix this, time frame for the fix, etc

Frequent Visitor

It appears that the problem has been corrected.  I have not had problem in recording the TV Japan program on Comcast Xfinity channel 330 since Thursday, 02/21/2019.  No problem in recording the other major American network programs (CBS, ABS, NBC, Fox,  ESPN, etc.)  As I said, I live in Fremont, CA.

Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Yusui3
@ComcastWilliam
It looks like @ComcastKenF is working with engineering on an identical issue with recording the same channel

I have been having this issue, but today it got to even worse level. TV Japan start & stop staggering every 10 seconds, and also none of the scheduled recordings were recorded. Sad... Smiley Sad

Watching the other forum tread as well to see if this would be fixed.

Please fix ASAP!

Frequent Visitor

@DrMORO wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Yusui3
@ComcastWilliam

I have been having this issue, but today it got to even worse level. TV Japan start & stop staggering every 10 seconds, and also none of the scheduled recordings were recorded. Sad... Smiley Sad

Watching the other forum tread as well to see if this would be fixed.

Please fix ASAP!

Ok, so after some time last evening, TV & cable box on but watching CNN news, returned back to TV Japan to watch their news, and did not notice any issues at all.

Fixed?

I will have to test with the scheduled recordings, but maybe something was done on the 'other' side?

Thanks for bringing things back to normal!

Please keep up the great work!

And also hope this issue does not come up again.

Frequent Visitor

TV Japan has also posted an update of this ussie being fixed.

Xfinity(Comcast) Cable- TV JAPAN Recording Trouble is Fixed2/28(Thu)

According the recent report from Xfinity(Comcast) Cable, they fixed the recording trouble issue.

Please re-set the cable box, and if you still experience the trouble, Please contact Xfinity.