Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

I still don't have my x1 system yet but i've been reading plenty. One of the things apparently that you can not do is rewind, pause, FFwd live TV with the secondary units. I understand there is a hack/work around which requires you record what your watching but this isn't really a seamless solution. This is definitly something we will want to do a lot and to be honest the current solution isn't that great. This is one of the things that "almost" made me go with DTV but comcast bundling deals saved the day Smiley Happy.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - saved shows sorted by A-Z as default

I suggested it as an option, not a default for everyone. So if it would not work for you, don't use it. But that doesn't mean others might appreciate the option.
Regular Contributor

I haven't seen much discussion on this, but I am still waiting for 1) The guide view setting to stay as selected (IE: Favorites, HD, etc) and not continually revert to All Channels; and 2) Since Receiver 1.3.3, the channel guide grid is always opaque and does not use the Background Darkness Level selected by the customer as it had previously done.  This function should be restored.  Any news on when these will be addressed would be appreciated.

Problem Solver

Thomt..i think the reason this was changed was to increase the speed of the guide itself. With a solid object in the back ground the system is less taxed. In saying that i think it will stay for the time . Hope this helps.
Regular Visitor

Some ideas:

1) I miss the old guide that was at the bottom of the screen when you pressed OK/Select. Please bring that back. It was also a lot faster than the current guide IMO.

2) I would like to be able to schedule series recordings, but to specify what time it records at. For example, if I was watch several shows at 9, but too many of them are recording to record one (or more) of them, I would like to be able to set a series recording for when that show airs again at, say, 11. Currently, I have to manually set in that recording. Yes, I just said I watch 5 shows at 9PM. It's mostly because of overlaps since I set everything up to record a minute over.

3) This might be a bug, but... When I'm using the guide to schedule recordings for the future, if I type in the channel number to jump to it, it resets the guide to the time it is NOW instead of the time I had it on before. 

For example: I wanna schedule recordings on channels 3, 6, 10, and 300 for 10PM and it is currently 11AM. I scroll all the way to 10PM, schedule the three recordings on 3, 6 and 10 because scrolling to those is easy, but if I then type in the channel 300 to jump to it in the guide, it RESETS the guide to 11AM. That means I have to scroll all the way back to 10PM!!! That gets annoying and fast. Smiley Sad

Contributor

@HurpDurp wrote:

Some ideas:

1) I miss the old guide that was at the bottom of the screen when you pressed OK/Select. Please bring that back. It was also a lot faster than the current guide IMO.

2) I would like to be able to schedule series recordings, but to specify what time it records at. For example, if I was watch several shows at 9, but too many of them are recording to record one (or more) of them, I would like to be able to set a series recording for when that show airs again at, say, 11. Currently, I have to manually set in that recording. Yes, I just said I watch 5 shows at 9PM. It's mostly because of overlaps since I set everything up to record a minute over.

3) This might be a bug, but... When I'm using the guide to schedule recordings for the future, if I type in the channel number to jump to it, it resets the guide to the time it is NOW instead of the time I had it on before. 

For example: I wanna schedule recordings on channels 3, 6, 10, and 300 for 10PM and it is currently 11AM. I scroll all the way to 10PM, schedule the three recordings on 3, 6 and 10 because scrolling to those is easy, but if I then type in the channel 300 to jump to it in the guide, it RESETS the guide to 11AM. That means I have to scroll all the way back to 10PM!!! That gets annoying and fast. Smiley Sad

Regarding #1, if you press the right arrow, you get a new version of the mini guide on the bottom, it's now on the right.

That's all I can help you with...if that's even helpful Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Little work around. In regard to #2, use tip for #1 while viewing list you can enter new channel # to jump to that channel. Press right arrow again to move to that channel listing. Now if you hit Pg down button you can get to the hour you want faster.

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests DVR RECORD TIMES

is there any possibility that you can add

START LATE settings as well as starting early & conversely add STOP EARLY to the END of the altering record times?

Sometimes if the record times could be delayed or ended early it would help the congestion when recording more than one program/movie. rather then having to cancel the 3nd etc recording, we can chop off the un-needed end of the previous program.

Good example is HBO will finish a movie/program 5 mins before the recording stops, & usually at least 1+ mins after the recording has started.

Tags (2)
Problem Solver

Marv..they are working on overhaul on that whole thing. At some point you be able to set a default ending time like 3 mins or 5. Then it will auto-extend all programs to that default time based on the priorities. It it will do it when ever there are tuners not used on the next hour. Also the end early option will be added for each show and will be saved for each airing. Not sure how close they are on this at the time. I know that dish network has the start late option i believe that the end result will should look real close to their setup. I say that cause all the addons of recent have mirrored their features. Just keep in mind that dish and direct both have copyrights on their layouts and some features. I beleive this why so many features have been slow to come online. And lets not forget the bugs that follow each addon.
New Poster

Seems like a good start.

I've been considering dropping the X1 platform in favor of a mythtv cable card setup because of this alone:

• Ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV on the Player Mini’s (non-DVR set-top box)

I'd also love to see a few other items

• Channel preview in the guide(Show me the actual channel stream when on the channel instead of a generic show logo)
  • Give me the ability to remove channels from the listing guide. I don't want my kids to scroll into the extremely graphic names of shows on the pay-per-view adult channels when paging through the listings. Not just by creating a favorites list or moving to a kids only listing.
Contributor

When you select the mini guide (right arrow), it would be nice if, when you scroll through the listings, a brief description of the hilighted program would appear below the resized video.  The current "Now playing: " could be moved above with time and temperature.  I understand that clicking right arrow twice in the mini guide takes you to a description, but it also takes you out of the mini guide. 

Regular Contributor

@gotpizza wrote:
Marv..they are working on overhaul on that whole thing. At some point you be able to set a default ending time like 3 mins or 5. Then it will auto-extend all programs to that default time based on the priorities. It it will do it when ever there are tuners not used on the next hour. Also the end early option will be added for each show and will be saved for each airing. Not sure how close they are on this at the time. I know that dish network has the start late option i believe that the end result will should look real close to their setup. I say that cause all the addons of recent have mirrored their features. Just keep in mind that dish and direct both have copyrights on their layouts and some features. I beleive this why so many features have been slow to come online. And lets not forget the bugs that follow each addon.

Gotpizza ... where do you get your info?

Problem Solver

Thom..most of the info that give is stuff that is from comcast. Some is found right here on the forum from andrew or ted. When I have a ticket opened on my account that takes a higher level of tech to fix the issue I ask questions...lots of questions....If you read most of my statements you will see words like "believe" or "think" which eould mean educated guesses based on past experience. If those types of words are not used then it is usually something sn employee told me.
Frequent Visitor

I would like to be able to pause live TV for more than 1 hour. Just saying because Directv you can pause it for 2 hours. Thanks.

Problem Solver

You can pause for two hours ..just press record before you hit pause.
Regular Contributor

please give us the ability to dim or turn off the green power light on the secondary x1 units.  i have it in my bedroom and it lights up half the room.  i tried the turn off after an hour and it turned off the unit while i was watching it so that doesn't work.  we have ability for the master or hub dvr units why not all of the x1 units.

also could use a remote that has a backlight,  i end up pressing wrong buttons when watching in bedroom

Problem Solver

Laurie. You can purchase the same remote from the website that has backlight. I think it's called the xr5. As for the power light i suggest a small sticker to cover it, since there is no need to ever push the button.
Most Valued Poster

WIth release  X1 1.44.06 Comcast has removed the Slo Motion function. Bad enough that we don't have frame by frame with X1 but now they take Slo Mo away too? Is this really progress? When they rolled back to 1.43 recently Slo Mo came back and thats how I know its been removed for 1.44.06. REALLY COMCAST?

Regular Contributor

Ditto what Terri said!

Most Valued Poster

@Laurie wrote:

please give us the ability to dim or turn off the green power light on the secondary x1 units.  i have it in my bedroom and it lights up half the room.  i tried the turn off after an hour and it turned off the unit while i was watching it so that doesn't work.  we have ability for the master or hub dvr units why not all of the x1 units.

also could use a remote that has a backlight,  i end up pressing wrong buttons when watching in bedroom

I looked up that $19.95 backlit Comcast remote and what you get for your money is 3 SECONDS of back light. WOW.
Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

I looked up that $19.95 backlit Comcast remote and what you get for your money is 3 SECONDS of back light. WOW.

My son has one (XR5) and 3 seconds is plenty of time.  The motion sensor is extremely sensitive, so a slight movement brings the back lighting back up if more time is needed.

Most Valued Poster

@jehill wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

My son has one (XR5) and 3 seconds is plenty of time.  The motion sensor is extremely sensitive, so a slight movement brings the back lighting back up if more time is needed.

That is great to know about the motion sensor because 3 seconds just won't cut it. We sit in almost darkness watching tv and have to keep turning on a light so I might just fork over the money. On the pre X1 remote I could pretty much do anything without even looking ( just like I don't look at the keyboard on a pc when I type) but my hubby is button locating challenged. I am learning the X1 remote more without looking but not well enough. My hubby would be overjoyed for a backlight. Our tv remote has one but we never have the need to use that remote.

New Poster

@laurarich229 wrote:

I am sure this must have been covered in the forums already, but just to get comcast to listen we would really like the X1 to get the auto-recored based on keyword that the old DVR had.  Several sporting events now have to be selected individually to recored.  Example:  motogp.  This is a huge step back.

Thanks

I second this request.  As a track and field fan, I really miss being able to enter the keyword "track and field", and have all track and field programs be automatically recorded (albeit with some non-related programs that mention "track" or "field").  Keyword recordings are important to cover the not-so-mainstream programming choices.

Contributor

I'm with you! I know we humans tend to dislike change until we get used to it, but in the month we've had the new X1 DVR, our family still wishes we had the old guide back. The new one is a lot slower and jumpier (probably because of the fancy graphics), and we find it's harder to find what we want to watch because the lack of contrast. Inputting the channel directly also results in getting the wrong channel 75% of the time. About the only thing we've found (so far) is the multiple Last channels to choose from. Also, seems like the problem we had with sports has been fixed through the software - prevously, when choosing the little basketball icon for sports, the games or channels were not listed, so we had to pick the MLB Bsseball game at random from the multiple entries until we found the Giants game...PITA!

Contributor

To Comcast - are you guys able to use the X1's software/firmware to implement any of the things Comcast feels are people here are requesting that Comcast feels are worthy? If you added a lot of these suggestions, I bet you could also taylor people's box firmware so people could select the features they want, like a Classic View. My family hates the new, "sophisticated" but laggy and jumpy GUI!

Also, how about fixing the remote's disabled All Off feature? If people can't figure out how to aim the remote at the TV long enough for them to see both TV and cable box got the independent Off signals from the remote and did indeed turn off, they're no worse off with the cable box staying on than the way the X1 remote works, which makes it impossible to turn off the box without pushing the button on the front, which is behind a glass door. Huge problem? No. Big annoyance? Yes!

Silver Problem Solver

@RobS10 wrote:

To Comcast - are you guys able to use the X1's software/firmware to implement any of the things Comcast feels are people here are requesting that Comcast feels are worthy? If you added a lot of these suggestions, I bet you could also taylor people's box firmware so people could select the features they want, like a Classic View. My family hates the new, "sophisticated" but laggy and jumpy GUI!

Also, how about fixing the remote's disabled All Off feature? If people can't figure out how to aim the remote at the TV long enough for them to see both TV and cable box got the independent Off signals from the remote and did indeed turn off, they're no worse off with the cable box staying on than the way the X1 remote works, which makes it impossible to turn off the box without pushing the button on the front, which is behind a glass door. Huge problem? No. Big annoyance? Yes!

Sorry. you won't reach Comcast in this user-to-user forum.  We try to help each other as best we can.  There are Comcast Moderators that moderate the forums.  

The All Off feature won't be fixed because the X1 boxes are designed to be on 24x7.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Yes, backlight please!

Diamond Problem Solver

About the only thing we've found (so far) is the multiple Last channels to choose from. Also, seems like the problem we had with sports has been fixed through the software - prevously, when choosing the little basketball icon for sports, the games or channels were not listed, so we had to pick the MLB Bsseball game at random from the multiple entries until we found the Giants game...PITA!

If you use the sports app, you can pick a favorite team (Giants) and it will give you a 2 week stretch when they're playing, the channel, and the ability to record it if you have that channel.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Andrew,

SLO MO removed withb 1.44.06 and still gone with .10. WHY WHY WHY?

Problem Solver

Terri I believe this was not supposed to be this way. Maybe just a code issue.
Contributor

The box is designed to be on 24/7?? With all the push to get the "power vampires" out of houses to conserve and reduce overall energy use, this sounds crazy! What's the power draw on these things compared to the old DVR boxes? What happened to the Power Save mode described on Comcast's website for the X1? Mine has no option for that.

Diamond Problem Solver

What happened to the Power Save mode described on Comcast's website for the X1? Mine has no option for that.

Press Xfinity button, go to tools ( gear), down to device settings, and down to screen saver, right arrow to start power save

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Looks like the XR5 is the answer for our bedroom. Just wish Comcast had one universal Aux spot for a DVD player like older remotes.

Contributor

Thanks Andrew, I couldn't seem to find it when I followed the instructions on the website. How does that work though? It says it goes into Power Save Mode after 1-8 hours...does that mean if I set it to 1 hour and watch TV past the hour, the box powers down? What happened to the All Off? I would imagine if the box needs to communicate/sync with Comcast, it could do it in the background while we watch TV, no? Having the box on all the time seems nuts.

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:
Terri I believe this was not supposed to be this way. Maybe just a code issue.

I would love to think its a code issue but even if it is those of us who have posted about this cannot get Andrew or Sarah to even make a comment. Andrew just responded to a power issue on this thread but not the Slo Mo an Slo Mo is mentioned on many threads.

They rolled back 1.43 and 1.44 more than once and one would think that is done to fix bugs but yet.....no Slo Mo.

This time they don't care about any of us...SD or HD.

Diamond Problem Solver

I would love to think its a code issue but even if it is those of us who have posted about this cannot get Andrew or Sarah to even make a comment. Andrew just responded to a power issue on this thread but not the Slo Mo an Slo Mo is mentioned on many threads.

Terri, if I had a comment to make on slo-mo I would. I don't have any control over what comes and goes, I'm just a tech. Usually, when given the chance I tell who I can what's missing or needed and it goes from there.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

Terri, if I had a comment to make on slo-mo I would. I don't have any control over what comes and goes, I'm just a tech. Usually, when given the chance I tell who I can what's missing or needed and it goes from there.

Andrew, a tech is exactly what we need  to chase issues like this. Don't you have a way to report potential bugs? We sure don't get anywhere trying to do that on the forums or on phone. I am on the phone right now with X1 support and having to explain what slow motion is ....seriously???

Update: the  X1 rep I have on the phone does not understand  release/update versions. OMG! Asked me to repeat the 'numbers' I gave about 1.44.10 and so forth. She has placed me on hold for the second time...tick tick. She asked me if my remote was working. I told her its NOT the remote and many of us are voicing concern over Slo Mo not working with the latest release and you would think I was talking about nuclear fission.

Diamond Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, a tech is exactly what we need to chase issues like this. Don't you have a way to report potential bugs? We sure don't get anywhere trying to do that on the forums or on phone. I am on the phone right now with X1 support and having to explain what slow motion is ....seriously???

Chances are pretty good if it's not there anymore, it's not there for a reason, and that it's not a bug. The X1 hotline that you're calling can get a ticket set up quickly if it is in fact a bug.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
@CCAndrew wrote:

Andrew, a tech is exactly what we need to chase issues like this. Don't you have a way to report potential bugs? We sure don't get anywhere trying to do that on the forums or on phone. I am on the phone right now with X1 support and having to explain what slow motion is ....seriously???

Chances are pretty good if it's not there anymore, it's not there for a reason, and that it's not a bug. The X1 hotline that you're calling can get a ticket set up quickly if it is in fact a bug.

Please read more that I added about this support conversation I am having. You bet I want a ticket put in on it. What possible legit reason could there be to remove slo motion. We lost frame by frame and now this? X1 should enhance our experience not degrade it.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

Please read more that I added about this support conversation I am having. You bet I want a ticket put in on it. What possible legit reason could there be to remove slo motion. We lost frame by frame and now this? X1 should enhance our experience not degrade it.

The X1 development team in their closed-door design sure missed on some good features.

There is no excuse for that.

I was a project manager on many software development programs in my career and I learned from my mistakes early on and got better at my job.

I'm speechless.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

The X1 development team in their closed-door design sure missed on some good features.

There is no excuse for that.

I was a project manager on many software development programs in my career and I learned from my mistakes early on and got better at my job.

I'm speechless.

I was a member of a national team working with Bell Labs on new software programs for AT&T and ditto on what you said.  As features rolled out the process to refine, correct was on going. I just don't 'get it' with Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

I was a member of a national team working with Bell Labs on new software programs for AT&T and ditto on what you said.  As features rolled out the process to refine, correct was on going. I just don't 'get it' with Comcast.

I started my career working for Sandia Corporation, which was a subsidiary of Bell Labs at the time.  The Atomic Energy Committee paid Sandia/Bell on a cost basis plus $1/year.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I started my career working for Sandia Corporation, which was a subsidiary of Bell Labs at the time.  The Atomic Energy Committee paid Sandia/Bell on a cost basis plus $1/year.

Its a small world! I worked for  AT&T Long Lines in DC and Virginia and worked with the labs in Alpharetta, Ga. They were amazing people to work with and 'watch' do their magic. I was never good at 'understanding' coding....lol. We designed what we wanted and they produced! It was in the early days of GUIs and we were all learning.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Its a small world! I worked for  AT&T Long Lines in DC and Virginia and worked with the labs in Alpharetta, Ga. They were amazing people to work with and 'watch' do their magic. I was never good at 'understanding' coding....lol. We designed what we wanted and they produced! It was in the early days of GUIs and we were all learning.

I started with 026 card puches as my "GUI".

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/026.html

Problem Solver

@RobS10 wrote:

Thanks Andrew, I couldn't seem to find it when I followed the instructions on the website. How does that work though? It says it goes into Power Save Mode after 1-8 hours...does that mean if I set it to 1 hour and watch TV past the hour, the box powers down? What happened to the All Off? I would imagine if the box needs to communicate/sync with Comcast, it could do it in the background while we watch TV, no? Having the box on all the time seems nuts.

The box will never shut off. power save mode just stops the broadcast to the tv. It does not use that much power at all.

Most Valued Poster

OMG .....me too!  I can 'hear' the cards stacking up right now. I also used a 35 ASR teletype back in the day....the very early 70s. Old? Who me? God Bless Baby Boomers!!!  We also had a huge machine that we fed the cards into to get a printout...rudimentary as it was.

When Murphy's law  showed up it made '52 pickup' a breeze compared to what happened with those stacks of cards. We also had a big card reader that you  fed the cards into for a printout.

The only thing that has NOT changed is the QUERTY keyboard. Did you know that the top line also spells 'typewriter'??

We are going to get fussed at for going off topic but its been a blast from the past so let them slap us.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

OMG .....me too!  I can 'hear' the cards stacking up right now. I also used a 35 ASR teletype back in the day....the very early 70s. Old? Who me? God Bless Baby Boomers!!!  We also had a huge machine that we fed the cards into to get a printout...rudimentary as it was.

When Murphy's law  showed up it made '52 pickup' a breeze compared to what happened with those stacks of cards. We also had a big card reader that you  fed the cards into for a printout.

The only thing that has NOT changed is the QUERTY keyboard. Did you know that the top line also spells 'typewriter'??

We are going to get fussed at for going off topic but its been a blast from the past so let them slap us.

One last OT comment; I started writing Fortran on an IBM 7094 in 1961.

I'm done.

Contributor

@gotpizza wrote:

@RobS10 wrote:

The box will never shut off. power save mode just stops the broadcast to the tv. It does not use that much power at all.

In was wondering...Power save Mode isn't really explained, but doesn't sound like what it should be, which is to turn the box off

Problem Solver

@RobS10 wrote:

@gotpizza wrote:

@RobS10 wrote:

In was wondering...Power save Mode isn't really explained, but doesn't sound like what it should be, which is to turn the box off

It can't shut off, then it would not be a dvr. It does about the same thing your computer does in sleep mode. It does use less power on power save. Here is the kicker, there has been issues reported when this mode is turned on. things like not recording things, not coming back online after it enters this mode. The thing uses very little power in the first place I advise most to leave alone. It's your choice.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

One last OT comment; I started writing Fortran on an IBM 7094 in 1961.

I'm done.

WOW you are way ahead of me (  in back to the future style) When it all started  I   tried to understand '1' and '0' but it just didn't work for me so I designed/debugged/rolled out /trained /supported and let you guys do the coding. Reminded me of 'new math'...ugh . Enjoyed this memory journey with you. Done and done.