X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Thanks, I'll try that.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Bo15 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that.

You're welcome - good luck.  Also, if I press the exit button before the recorded show is over it will take me to the delete option screen.

Regular Contributor

Coming from FIOS the only feature I miss on the DVR is Chaptering.  It would break a recorded program into Chapters, 8 or 10 minutes in length, you would tap the up arrow and it would pause and show the different timelines, you would select it and it would pick up replaying at that point.  When I just need to see the end or later in a long program it was nice.  4X Ffwd takes a while.  Also nice if someone else started watching the show and the resume spot is off.

Bronze Problem Solver

@SuperDave426 wrote:

Coming from FIOS the only feature I miss on the DVR is Chaptering.  It would break a recorded program into Chapters, 8 or 10 minutes in length, you would tap the up arrow and it would pause and show the different timelines, you would select it and it would pick up replaying at that point.  When I just need to see the end or later in a long program it was nice.  4X Ffwd takes a while.  Also nice if someone else started watching the show and the resume spot is off.

Page up/down moves you in 10 minute segments - faster than 4X if you have a long recording.

Regular Contributor

@manamok wrote:

@SuperDave426 wrote:

Page up/down moves you in 10 minute segments - faster than 4X if you have a long recording.

Thanks but I have Page Up set for 30 second advance, it was only 5 minutes originally.

Bronze Problem Solver

@SuperDave426 wrote:

Thanks but I have Page Up set for 30 second advance, it was only 5 minutes originally.

What benefit does 30 second advance give you?

Regular Contributor

I hit it 5 or 6 times to pass through the commercials, I had the 30 second skip with Dish and FIOS so we are used to it. 5 minutes was too long, always had to rewind back to the show.
Bronze Problem Solver

@SuperDave426 wrote:
I hit it 5 or 6 times to pass through the commercials, I had the 30 second skip with Dish and FIOS so we are used to it. 5 minutes was too long, always had to rewind back to the show.

I get it - thanks.

Frequent Visitor

You can re-program the amount of skip -

Step 1: Press the Exit button three times

Step 2: Press 0030 (to program a 30 second skip)

change the "0030" to "0045' for a 45 second skip, etc....

Regular Contributor

@Joe_Sugar_Land wrote:

Step 1: Press the Exit button three times

Step 2: Press 0030 (to program a 30 second skip)

change the "0030" to "0045' for a 45 second skip, etc....

I like that, I'll set it for a minute and see how we like it, thanks!

Worked out great on my Harmony 650, I set the Channel button to page up/down and it makes the skip ahead 60 seconds, while the skip advance button stays 30 seconds.  That's sweet.

Frequent Visitor

That's how I have my Harmony set up as well.
Regular Visitor

I have not been able to find an quick way to change the audio/subtitle settings.

I propose a master setting option in the settings drawer that is setup for every channel initially, but can be changed temporarily after pressing the info button with an additional menu to change the audio/subtitle. (meaning it will return to the default master setting option after the channel changes or recording is complete)

I have also noticed an annoyance: The audio can be changed by both DVR and X1 satelltite for live TV and recordings, but subtitles can only be changed by the DVR on recording. See this post for more info this.

Frequent Visitor

I so agree with the person who complains about the 5 min pg up and down length.  Who thought of this and why?  The main reason for this feature is to get through commercials and that should be 1 minute or 90 seconds or even 45 seconds-the latter requires only 3 hits to get through a commercial.

Also why did they take away the LIVE button that used to be on remotes prior to the XL platform?

Frequent Visitor

Here Here!!!!  Definitely the satellite boxes should permit FF, RW, and PAUSE!! 

Frequent Visitor

Re: remote control function

Hit the FF button to go to next day and the RW button to go back a day.

@sammsterling wrote:

@MikeHemp wrote:

when viewing the guide how do you page ahead to the next day with one button?  page up and down move you up and down to diff. channels and the right arrow lets you scroll though the hours on one channel but there was a button to go a day ahead or a day back on the old remote.

FYI mike, this has been discussed for months.  the answer is the forgot it and hopefully they will try to ad it in some way or another.  when, no one knows.  love the last name...LOL

Frequent Visitor

Yes the on phone service as well as the visiting comcast techs are atrocious!  Techs that come to the house break so many functions that I schedule an electrician or private AV person to fix things after they leave.  It's expensive but otherwise you lose vital functions, like sound!  Or they unplug your DVD player. etc etc.

Regular Contributor

@alicesoref wrote:

I so agree with the person who complains about the 5 min pg up and down length.  Who thought of this and why?  The main reason for this feature is to get through commercials and that should be 1 minute or 90 seconds or even 45 seconds-the latter requires only 3 hits to get through a commercial.

Also why did they take away the LIVE button that used to be on remotes prior to the XL platform?

Step 1: Press the Exit button three times
Step 2: Press 0030 (to program a 30 second skip)

change the "0030" to "0045' for a 45 second skip, etc....then Enter.

The "Exit" button will take you to Live TV.

Bronze Problem Solver

@alicesoref wrote:

Hit the FF button to go to next day and the RW button to go back a day.

@sammsterling wrote:

@MikeHemp wrote:

when viewing the guide how do you page ahead to the next day with one button?  page up and down move you up and down to diff. channels and the right arrow lets you scroll though the hours on one channel but there was a button to go a day ahead or a day back on the old remote.

FYI mike, this has been discussed for months.  the answer is the forgot it and hopefully they will try to ad it in some way or another.  when, no one knows.  love the last name...LOL

Alice - you're responding to a suggestion that was made last October and was implemented several months ago.  It's old news,

Bronze Problem Solver

@alicesoref wrote:

Arrow down brings you to the Live command - and the platform is the X1 not the XL.

Frequent Visitor

Great, its been 9 months since your post but I don't see any of the features requested here have been added as I just got my X1 and it does not appear that any of the issues raised in this forum have received updates or been resolved. So any time frame yet? Are we talking more months, years, decades?

Frequent Visitor

Well actually I did figure out how to skip days in the guide. But still no ability to sort recordings and no info on the recordings made. No reminder function. No catagory search function. No ability to edit history bar. No ability to search guide by number, still have to page up to eternity to get from 700s to 500s just to channel browse.

Valued Contributor

@jojoplips wrote:

No ability to search guide by number, still have to page up to eternity to get from 700s to 500s just to channel browse.

If you open the guide for all channels, you should be able to move to a desired location simply by entering the first desired channel number.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the Kudos geek46!

Contributor

Is there any chance we can get picture-in-picture?  

Also, in the guide, we should be able to filter based on the sport.  Instead of just games and programs, we should see football, baseball, hockey, etc.

Regular Contributor

@speakers_86 wrote:

Is there any chance we can get picture-in-picture?  

Also, in the guide, we should be able to filter based on the sport.  Instead of just games and programs, we should see football, baseball, hockey, etc.

The quickest way to see sports is to use the Sports App, press "C" and it brings up all of the games for the day.  It lists the channels they are on, but this means Channels like Extra Ticket are included.  If you select one it brings up the box score and viewing choices.  I use it to find Hockey Playoff games quicker than the guide.

Diamond Problem Solver

You can also favorite your teams you follow.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Licence this technology to other cable operators.

Why?

Comcast does not directly compete with cable operators, except in a few small and rare overlapping systems or overbuilders like RCN.

The revenue generated from other cable companies can be pooled back into X1 maintenance and development, further enhancing the platform for all users of both Comcast and smaller MSO alike.

All the hard work put into the X1 platform can be enjoyed by millions of more customers who would in a heartbeat love to get this, but cannot because Comcast would not normally be in their service area.

Seriously, publicize X1 to other cable opearators or even put off the shelf retail DVR's like Tivo.  This product is better than Tivo.

Frequent Visitor

mike 

with an X1 box remote

press guide...to advance to the next day hit the FF button for replay

works for me.

Regular Contributor

@cypherx wrote:

Seriously, publicize X1 to other cable opearators or even put off the shelf retail DVR's like Tivo.  This product is better than Tivo.

I just had to respond to this.  sorry Manamok.

There is nothing better than a TiVo as far as the DVR function is concerned.  You make the X1 buffer 6 tuners at the same time and be able to select any one of them and go back 30 min for each one (yes i wish they would make it 60 min, 3TB drive in Roamio Pro - 450 hours of HD storage).  and yes they do suck at modifying the DVR functions that are lacking (not many though) and even the newest Roamio is a piece of u know what as far as real speed in responsiveness is concerned compared to any comcast box.  If comcast would have gone MPEG-4 when everyone else did or even enable the ESATA port after years of people complaining about it, i probably would not have a tivo since it is a very expensive alternative.  75 hours (or less) of storage is ridiculous in 2014.  My tivo is 60% full, i like to keep things, i bet lots of people out there would love to keep some of their favorite sport games for as long as they want...(OK, until the box dies then....LOL)

as far as apps and all that junk, you can get a decent bluray player for those functions.

when my tivo dies i will probably get an X-whatever.  NO MORE MONEY HERE....LOL

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE

New Poster

I've had the X1 for about a month now and there are two things that stand out. I browsed the replies and didn't see this mentioned anywhere. This was a feature I had on Dish and DirectTV in the past.

1. A "double play/PIP" feature. The ability to pause live TV then swap to another channel/picture and when I come back to the first channel it is still paused.
2. When I pause a live channel and go to a DVRed program the live channel stays paused until I come back.

The slow menu and such has already been covered. I for one like the IOS App.
Regular Contributor

It would be nice to have the ability to delete a Season Pass from the Priority Manager or somewhere.  If a show is cancelled and there are no episodes OnDemand (ie: Intelligence) there isn't an option to remove the program from the list, and I don't see how it can be beneficial to have the software search for a program that no longer exists.

Regular Contributor

One more time....an input key on the remote so folks can switch between devices. I know that the X1 has a lot of options, but it still does not allow me to access my blue ray player or my kids game consols. Having no input key for my TV on your remote forces me to keep a pile of remotes on hand...very irritating....

Bronze Problem Solver

@SuperDave426 wrote:

It would be nice to have the ability to delete a Season Pass from the Priority Manager or somewhere.  If a show is cancelled and there are no episodes OnDemand (ie: Intelligence) there isn't an option to remove the program from the list, and I don't see how it can be beneficial to have the software search for a program that no longer exists.

You can delete a series from the Priority Manager by highlighting the show and pressing the D button.

Bronze Problem Solver

@bradbortner wrote:

One more time....an input key on the remote so folks can switch between devices. I know that the X1 has a lot of options, but it still does not allow me to access my blue ray player or my kids game consols. Having no input key for my TV on your remote forces me to keep a pile of remotes on hand...very irritating....

Definitely a feature worth having - maybe someday...

Most Valued Poster

@sammsterling wrote:

@cypherx wrote:

I just had to respond to this.  sorry Manamok.

There is nothing better than a TiVo as far as the DVR function is concerned.  You make the X1 buffer 6 tuners at the same time and be able to select any one of them and go back 30 min for each one (yes i wish they would make it 60 min, 3TB drive in Roamio Pro - 450 hours of HD storage).  and yes they do suck at modifying the DVR functions that are lacking (not many though) and even the newest Roamio is a piece of u know what as far as real speed in responsiveness is concerned compared to any comcast box.  If comcast would have gone MPEG-4 when everyone else did or even enable the ESATA port after years of people complaining about it, i probably would not have a tivo since it is a very expensive alternative.  75 hours (or less) of storage is ridiculous in 2014.  My tivo is 60% full, i like to keep things, i bet lots of people out there would love to keep some of their favorite sport games for as long as they want...(OK, until the box dies then....LOL)

as far as apps and all that junk, you can get a decent bluray player for those functions.

when my tivo dies i will probably get an X-whatever.  NO MORE MONEY HERE....LOL

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE

Yes, the expense is what has kept me away from a Roanio.  OnDemand works with a TIVO here so it has been tempting but the $$$ has kept me away.  I can be a cheap old Scotsman.  

I agree 100% that more storage capacity and MPEG4 is a must.  eSATA active is not a big deal for me as I have no desire to spend more money to build another external drive.

My hope is when X1 goes to nDVR we will get that extra storage space.  I don't think Comcast will ever offer 3TB as Instant onDemand may make recording many shows redundant.  If they are available 1 minute or less after the show starts, whats the point?

Bronze Problem Solver

SuperDave - thanks for the kudo.

Regular Contributor

You are welcome, you taught me something useful I am grateful.
Frequent Visitor

I use the website for programming more than the on screen guide or search.  I would love to see more otions when setting up a series recording like the ability to specify a chanel, change the preference for HD or SD or to see other times for a show you have already set up.  

Diamond Problem Solver

when setting up a series recording like the ability to specify a chanel, change the preference for HD or SD

If you use the guide instead of search to set series recordings those options are there, and have been for awhile

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:
when setting up a series recording like the ability to specify a chanel, change the preference for HD or SD

If you use the guide instead of search to set series recordings those options are there, and have been for awhile

I did know that you can specify the chanel when programming from the on screen guide.  Using the web site is so much easier, to me.  I just think it would be nice to have that feature there as well.

Valued Contributor

I use the website instead of the guide as well. I also use it as my remote since I can run it from my Kindle Fire HDX. I'm able to change channels, view my DVR (what's recorded and what's scheduled) It's customizible and does 99% of what I want it to do. Maybe Comcast should use that as a model for the X1 guide. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm getting my X1 tomorrow.  How do you go on the website to control it? 

Valued Contributor

Here is the link:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings

If you log into your account you should see information on the very bottom of the screen. 

The right side allows you to select the room for the DVR (or other equipment) you want to view.

The left side has selections DVR, WATCHLIST and HISTORY. Selecting DVR allows you to see what is currently on your DVR and also what programs are scheduled.

From the guild if you select a program and left mouse click there are selections to record the show or to watch it, selecting to watch it will change the channel to that show. 

Hope this helps and good luck...

Frequent Visitor

My list...

1. If you have multiple DVRs you should be able to select which DVR that the recording will be scheduled on and jot have it buried in the settings of the box and hard coded
2. Mix channels, like DirecTV
3. HD channel grouping that makes sense... Example in my area ESPN is 403 and espn2 is 404 but ESPN news is 449.. More annoying HBO HD is 301 and 416. Why... Should be grouped better or better yet do what DirecTV does and don't have different channel numbers have the box figure out if it should be the sd or hd feed but only use a single channel...and autotune is not an acceptable workaround
Bronze Problem Solver

@Bjamin82 wrote:
My list...

1. If you have multiple DVRs you should be able to select which DVR that the recording will be scheduled on and jot have it buried in the settings of the box and hard coded
2. Mix channels, like DirecTV
3. HD channel grouping that makes sense... Example in my area ESPN is 403 and espn2 is 404 but ESPN news is 449.. More annoying HBO HD is 301 and 416. Why... Should be grouped better or better yet do what DirecTV does and don't have different channel numbers have the box figure out if it should be the sd or hd feed but only use a single channel...and autotune is not an acceptable workaround

Regarding number 1 - I have 3 X1 DVR's - whichever DVR I program the recording on is the one that does the actual recording.  Nothing is "buried in the settings" or "hard coded."  Not sure what you're referring to.  

Frequent Visitor

Not from the DVRs but from the companion boxes. The default DVR is a setting and what I'm saying is that you should have that option when selecting what to record
Bronze Problem Solver

Are you sayng you would like the ability to select the default DVR from the record menu?

Frequent Visitor

No I'm saying there shouldn't be a default DVR if you have multiple... From the companion box, when you select record on a program it should be a option when setting up the recording or series recording
Contributor

I think he is saying that the choice of DVR should be on a recording basis, not a default box location. Currently each box is locked to a single DVR for recording. He would like to be able to record to any DVR from any location by choosing as part of the recording setting.
Bronze Problem Solver

Yup - that's how I understand his comments too.  It's a good idea for those folks who have multiple DVR's.  I have 3 X1 DVR's and no satellite boxes - and I would welcome the ability to pick the recording DVR when setting up a recording.