Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

@akastimpy wrote:

The thing I would like the most, so much that I am contemplating buying a Tivo to get it is the ability to block channels I dont want to see.

I am a channel surfer, always have been. Not being able to skip all the garbage I never want to see or watch is driving me nuts. Why can we not block channels? What is the reasoning for not having this option?

Forcing me to have to see the news-sports-shopping-foreign language-prem. channels (I dont subscribe to) and to have to surf through them is NOT going to make me want to watch them. If anything it makes me actually miss Dish dvr (never thought I'd say that!)

Anyway thats my biggest wish and biggest regret about subscribing to comcast, some other stuff is the inability of the x1 to hang on to the favorites list I made, I have to reset almost everytime I want to use it.

Need to be able to jump out by days or week, not just by the hour on the guide.

One more thing...please could I just go to channel 2 when I push 2? Its silly to have to push a channel number then push it again because I am now in search mode. just give us a search button instead of making every push of a number a search....that is all.

Thanks, akastimpy, for your comment and suggestions! I've shared this feedback with our product management team. At this time, X1 does not have those features.  However, they are common requests and on our backlog for future consideration. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastGrace! It's nice to see a comcast employee finally join the party.

Can you address some of these other 50 fine posts? Preferably the ones that you ARE implementing, and with a timeline if possible? We're all nipping at the bit here for some good news.

Contributor

@white_noise wrote:

Hi ComcastGrace! It's nice to see a comcast employee finally join the party.

Can you address some of these other 50 fine posts? Preferably the ones that you ARE implementing, and with a timeline if possible? We're all nipping at the bit here for some good news.

Thank you for all of your great suggestions.  These are known feature requests and very high on the future enhancement backlog. I do not have timing, but the entire organization understands the need for the features mentioned on this thread.  The X1 team is continuously looking for new ways to improve the overall experience on our boxes.  Stay tuned!  :-)

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update Grace. Many of us are geeks and do understand glitches in technology, and try to be patient. However, one has to wonder what the X1 development team was thinking, when they came up with the original design requirements for this system. It is certainly a step backwards in many respects.

Contributor

@cwayneu wrote:

Thanks for the update Grace. Many of us are geeks and do understand glitches in technology, and try to be patient. However, one has to wonder what the X1 development team was thinking, when they came up with the original design requirements for this system. It is certainly a step backwards in many respects.

Hi cwayneu,  thanks for your feedback.  We appreciate your patience!  One of the benefits to the X1 platform is that we can develop and introduce new and different features in a shorter time frame so please keep an eye out for new enhancements. 

Regular Contributor

Fix the Dolby 5.1 surround sound issue when viewing a recording on a "terminal" box from the main DVR - the old AnyRoom system had no issues with 5.1 on AnyRoom recordings but X1 apparently does.

Most Valued Poster

HBO GO would be a nice app to have for those of us that subscribe to it.  

Diamond Problem Solver

There's no real difference between HBO GO and accessing HBO on demand

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
There's no real difference between HBO GO and accessing HBO on demand

Funny you say that because that is exactly what I thought but today I decided to watch a few old episodes of Game of Thrones thinking it was OnDemand.  Nope, but the complete series start to finish is on HBOGO.  So for me, there is a difference and today I would much rather have watched it on my 55" Sony than my 21" imac.  

I know I can get a Roku or similar device and get it but it seems to me that HBO would have no problem making that app available to Comcast to use for it's subscribers.  

Contributor

One more time, Comcast....go back to having multiple favorite channel lists!!

Contributor

The sports app is glitchy and takes up too much of the TV screen.

Most Valued Poster

One more.  How about updating the Android app to work like the iPad.  Last time I checked Android outsells ios based devices so the numbers should be there to develop the app. 

New Poster

How about search results showing a bit of the description and not just the titles, so we can simply go to the exact one we're looking for, instead of having to open each result to read the description.

How about the ability to search for a term and have the DVR record everything matching.

Both features were present and working the in the previous DVR.

Frequent Visitor

I've just switched over to Xfinity from Dish and got the X1. On Dish I didn't have the Hopper yet, just a regular HD DVR and I have to say there are quite a few things I'm missing that Dish had. Some of them have already been mentioned but I'm gonna list them again:

• Overall performance is really bad. Very slow UI in general and reboot of boxes takes way too long (5 mins or more)
  • Ability to skip forward/backward a whole day in the Xfinity guide (use fast fwd/rewind buttons to do that)
  • Automatically record what's currently being watched so I can pause and rewind back to where I switched to the channel (record up to 120mins or so). Then when I switch the channel, that temporary recording is gone and the new channel I switched to is being recorded.
  • Allow setting of arbitrary DVR record extension in minutes so I can set whatever I want be it 10 mins, 23 mins or 133 mins.
  • Provide a better way of managing recordings. Right now, if there's nothing scheduled, I can't see the recording and modify it. Should be able to view all recordings easily and make changes to the settings.
  • Provide a better way to delete multiple recordings like an 'edit' mode where you can select multiple recordings and then choose to 'delete' the selected ones.
  • While watching a recording, it would be nice to have a 'skip forward 30sec' option rather than just fast forward. There is the 'skip backwards 10sec' or so. Why not have 'skip forwards'?

I'm sure there's more but these would be the most important right now to at least be on par with what I got from Dish.

Thanks.

New Poster

Must be a Boston fan if your games are running more than 4 1/2 hours. The rest of the country doesn't have that issue Smiley Wink
But a good list. The one that's bothering me right now is the 4 seconds that the system shows the play icon in the MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN! Please make it small, shorter duration, and on the side of the screen. I have to rewind 10 seconds before the football play starts so I can be sure the grey icon is gone and I can actually see what I want. If you missed something and need to rewind 1 sec, or slo-mo forward or backwards, you have to start the slow mo 5 second before what you want to see so the heads up display hides itself.
How about being able to disable this entirely in the settings screen?
New Poster

For the people who want to jump forward a day when selecting programs, the way I handle this is to use the iPhone app. The Comcast iPhone app lets you jump forward a day( or multiple days) so it's a lot faster than using the DVR on screen guide.
Regular Visitor

Re: remote control function

one more thing...

I lost cable/internet/phone last week so I thought I would watch one of my DVR'd shows....NO luck I got the same message.   what is up with no access to recorded shows when the internet is out?

Regular Contributor

That must be an iPhone only feature. My Android phone does not support day-at-a-time guide jumping.

I did find out from an X1 issues thread, that a new X2 version is available for preview. Hit the exit button 3 times in a row then 9896. X2 is much improved in my opinion. The guide is great with full descriptions of the current cursor location at the bottom, instead of that annoying popup box. It is still missing an advance a day capability, but a step towards a better interface. Also, the various screens just seem more readable to me. There is a minor issue with the screen size formatting, in that a small vertical portion of the right side of the screen is unused. Repeat the instructions to get back to the old interface.

Contributor

Do a hard reboot and the grey bar on the right will not be a issue.

Frequent Visitor

What I miss the most....

The ability to search programs alphabetically in categories. What I mean by this is:

A - C
B - E
F - I

Et cetera. The old system made it very easy to find programs this way and the new just lists A - Z and takes countless scrolling to get to the right program. Please implement the split A - Z program guide. Cheers.
Regular Contributor

Another point about scheduling conflicts:

I have already complained that conflicts should be pointed out immediately when they are created. Since they don't, when there is a conflict created we must go in and adjust/fix the conflict. However, the episode marked as a conflict stays in conflict status. We must then select that episode and select RECORD again. When a conflict is resolved, this should just happen automatically.

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests - remove X2 gray bar

In addition to clay5523's suggestion to do a reboot to remove the gray bar that appears on the right side of the screen after switching to the X2 Preview ( Exit-Exit-Exit 9896), I discovered that you can go to Settings, Preferences, and turn off the Preview, and then return to Settings, Preferences, and turn it back on.

The gray bar will be gone as well.

Most Valued Poster

Let's be honest here.  Time Warner Cable is way ahead of Comcast on features.  X1/X2 looks great but let's get some of those great features TWC offers it's people:

1.  TWC TV.  Stream your TV and DVR content to your Mac, PC, moble device, Roku.  You get the picture.  Actually, we are not getting it yet.  

2.  Look Back.  Watch primetime network shows for 72 hours after they have aired.  Awesome.

3.  Start Over.  Restart a show that is already in progress.  What can I say?  A great feature.

Now don't get me wrong.  X1/X2 is great, but it lacks chutzpah.  It needs features, flexibility, more apps like HBOGo.  HBOGo is NOT the same as HBO OnDemand.  Much better and needed on our boxes.  Tunein Radio is another great app and a perfect compliment to Pandora.  A lot of us are now moving away from AV receivers to either sound bars or integrated stereo amplifiers like the Onkyo A-5VL.  Internet radio app would be perfect.

Are you listening Comcast?  ComcastGrace promised us many new and exciting features. What are they?  

Diamond Problem Solver

Do a search for xfinity games...in the iTunes app store

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

you can down arrow to get to that area, you don't need to actually ff, pause, etc.  you might have to down arrow twice.

@GrymReaper wrote:

@Joe_Sugar,

I found that after you FF or Pause etc, you can press the down arrow and there is a LIVE choice along with the other available options.

I have found a few roundabout ways to get things, I just wish the remote had some of the other features....and LIVE is one of them I miss as well....along with a zoom.

Regular Visitor

Restore the ability (available on previous DVRs - set top boxes) to set reminders for programs you do not want to miss. I used this feature extensively and felt it was the best feature in the old system. (Well, the controller was much easier to use as well, but I know that is a dead issue.) 

I used the reminders to tell me when my favorite shows were coming on each week as well as to remind me when special events were about to start.  I haven't seen anyone else discuss this so maybe I am the only one who misses it.  I hope that's not the case. Maybe we'll see.

Regular Contributor

@kithic

No, reminders were a nice feature, but mostly on special events so I did not have to RECORD everything I wanted to see.

Contributor

Fix the DVR so it does not delete unwatched recordings when Comcast removes the same episode from onDemand. Older DVRs don't do this, and for what we pay for DVR, Comcast should NEVER be deleting our recordings when we have disk space available.
Regular Visitor

I haven't run into this problem yet but if I had I could well be calling AT&T.  If  this user is correct about this, it is obscene.

Contributor

I had seen a few reports from others and thought there was no way, but had 2 separate CW shows delete the oldest recorded episode at the same time Comcast removed from onDemand. I had to go to ATV and download an episode to catch up so I could watch a DVR'd episode so I don't lose anymore.
Regular Contributor

One more annoyance.  If you have a "Saved" program that is incomplete for any reason (guide had wrong times, other interruption, x1 reboot, whatever) should the show be available in 'On-Demand" to fill in the missing parts, it will not display under the episode guide option for the program as long as you preserve the incomplete DVR'd version. That is it won't display in the episode list  until you delete the DVR'd show.  Then it will magically become available.   Once again proving that X1 is one of most intesive and wastful button pressing and/or navigation dependent, obtuse,  confusing and buggy interfaces ever devised by man, but with enough patience, experimentation help from the forums and whole bunch of wasted time you can sometime even overcome self induced destructive (By Comcast) misbehaver

Most Valued Poster

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Do a search for xfinity games...in the iTunes app store

I can't.  Both my devices are Nexus running KitKat.  Until Comcast includes Android it is a no go for me.  

New Poster

I have a major problem with how Search displays items. If the show/movie happens to be onDemand, that will be the only option available (watch onD) and you aren't able to set it to record to DVR. Most of the time when I'm searching it's not to watch immediately, it's to set a recording for a later time. The DVR is basically a "To Do" list and if I have to remember to go back later and find something onD then I most likely won't end up watching.

The same goes for paid items that are onD but also playing on TV (example, Scrooged) I knew for a fact it was playing on TV, but when I search the listings via remote the only option is to pay to rent it onD. If there are times that it is playing on TV, it has be be available to set as a recording, not just pay to watch it. (A work around for that is going online and in search they have an option for TV listings, but I'm not going to do that everytime.)

There is no alert for conflicting recordings. They just won't record and aren't on your list of what's scheduleded so you have no idea and no chance to find an alternate showing. It was mentioned above when setting new series, but also affects series that are already set.

Finally, ignore the people who are complaining about the loss of the "Reminder" feature - why are you people watching live TV anyway. Set it to record and that's your reminder - it's in your DVR.

Regular Contributor

@omglolwtf

When they give us a two terabyte DVR, we won't need a reminder function. But some of us are constantly fighting an 85% full, and cannot always record those 3 hour plus football games or CMA shows anytime we want. The rest of your points are great.

Most Valued Poster

I'll be happy with the extra 500GB of network storage the "full" version of X2 is supposed to give us.  I also understand there will be an option to purchase more if one is so inclined.  

Comcast going to MPEG4 compression would  be a huge help as well, but I doubt we will see that in the short term.  

Problem Solver

@omglolwtf wrote:

Finally, ignore the people who are complaining about the loss of the "Reminder" feature - why are you people watching live TV anyway. Set it to record and that's your reminder - it's in your DVR.

Speak for yourself on this one; personally, the "Reminders" feature is the my biggest complaint about the X1 platform. I much prefer to watch content "live".  And I do record all my favorite programs, just in case I forget to tune in.

The "reminders" feature is also very useful during football season when there are several games on at the same time.  It was a very convient way to rapidly switch betwen the games I'm interested in.  The "Sports App" would be okay if it had a page to show all games playing at a give time, but it only lists them by conference or top 25.

To overcome, I'm using Google Calender to set reminders for all my programs, and I've gotten used to using my laptop or tablet to change channels from the xfinity web site.  But that means I must always have my laptop up and running; not a major inconvience.

Frequent Visitor

When recording a show how about a choice of channel to record, some programs come on multiple channels. Also, sort by Date or Title what about by episode, ie (season 4 episode 11).

Regular Contributor

I found out yesterday that the new X1 DVR boxes DO NOT support any expansion drives from Western Digital. The WD website has a link to Comcast to check for compatibility, but Comcast only list Motorola and Cisco DVR models. X1 is never mentioned. I did a Comcast chat with support and they verified that "the new X1 boxes do not support storage expansion. The eSATA port on the back for external disk connection, is not enabled.". No word on  when or if ever this will happen. I actually tried to connect a 1 terabyte external drive I have, and the X1 box did not respond at all. I was hoping it would at least say the drive was not compatible, but nothing... Verifying that the eSATA port is basically dead.

So a new feature would be (wait for it), support expansion storage systems like the My Book WD device.

Regular Contributor

One other feature I really miss from my old AT&T U-Verse days, is the ability to see other broadcasts times for a particular program/movie. For example, you spot a movie in the guide you wanted to record, but you have already missed the 1st ten minutes. There should be an option under "information" that list all the future dates/times/channels for that same show. Then you can easily and quickly schedule a future recording option for that show. I used to use that a lot.

Most Valued Poster

@cwayneu wrote:

I found out yesterday that the new X1 DVR boxes DO NOT support any expansion drives from Western Digital. The WD website has a link to Comcast to check for compatibility, but Comcast only list Motorola and Cisco DVR models. X1 is never mentioned. I did a Comcast chat with support and they verified that "the new X1 boxes do not support storage expansion. The eSATA port on the back for external disk connection, is not enabled.". No word on  when or if ever this will happen. I actually tried to connect a 1 terabyte external drive I have, and the X1 box did not respond at all. I was hoping it would at least say the drive was not compatible, but nothing... Verifying that the eSATA port is basically dead.

So a new feature would be (wait for it), support expansion storage systems like the My Book WD device.

Comcast is going to want to sell you extra networked storage.  Based on that, I doubt the eSata port will ever be enabled.  

Regular Contributor

In repsone to cwayneu wish to see other times, I believe that feature exists in X1, Guide - navigate to your program - info - other times

Regular Contributor

@RGM6027

OMG, I thought I was going crazy because I had searched everywhere and could not find "other times". After reading your message a synapse fired and it is frickin unbelievable. I have been running the new X2 format for many weeks. So I set my format back to X1, and low and behold there was "other times". They have removed that option in X2. WHY would they do this? Come on Comcast. You are suppose to add new features as you progress, not eliminate features. You certainly have done with this whole X series from the beginning, and apparently are going to continue to do so.

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired

You are probably right that they will want to sell us more storage. However again, they took a step backwards, because the older pre-X series boxes did support Western Digital expansion technology. Very greedy of them to lock out any competition.

Regular Contributor

The whole X1, X2 fiasco cements in my mind that whomever is in charge of platform development at comcast has wacky mind set and one that I believe prevalent at Comcast all the way to the top of that organization. I get finding support agents skilled and talented that can operate beyond a cheat sheet is a challenge but not an impossible one but to accept mediocre developers is just stupid.... Their failures drive support way up and annoys customers to no end.  I guess that's what you get with suits and politicians  both of whom themselves must have poor technical skill sets and they have no idea what their more technical demanding customers want...  I hope that Comcast at some time wakes up in their executive suites and takes these problems seriously...   Which of course they don't today.

Regular Contributor

1) Bring back the ability to directly access my dvr recordings with a push of a button. 

2) Reminders for programs are GREAT also. 

Regular Contributor

1) Add the ability to hide/unhide channels we don't want to see on the guide menu. As far as I know all of the cable or satellite boxes I've used within the past 2-3 years has this ability and I find it great to tailor the box to your likings. 

Take for instance even though I might get the Home Shopping Network in HD, doesn't mean I need or want to see it on the Guide Menu. If you gave us the ability to hide channels we could make the guide menu more managable. 

Frequent Visitor

Todd your right, have a choice to check off channels on your guide that you don`t watch. Hey COMCAST get a look at the Directv box , it`s almost perfect in every way.

Regular Contributor

Yes, Uverse had this option also and it GREATLY cleaned up the Guide Menu when browsing. 

Regular Contributor

Oh, and one that I find very odd is that Comcast has their channels COMPLETELY out of any kind of order. 

Take for instance all of the HBO's shoud be grouped together, all of the Local broadcast stations should be together like CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. All of the Cinemax's should be grouped together, HGTV, DIY, Cooking, Food Network, etc, should all be in some sort of group. 

I don't understand how or where Comcast has gotten their channel lineup but it needs implemented NOW. 

So PLEASE, arrange the channel lineup in some sort of grouping according to the type of channel it is. If you need help check out ATT Uverse or DirectTV. 

Thank you!

Diamond Problem Solver

Todd where are you located? Here the hbo, Cinemax, starz and showtime are all grouped together (300-375) sports between 862-875 and locals 231-234