Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Valued Contributor

Re: Feature requests?


@RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?


Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Feature requests?


@m45warrior1 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?


Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 


I disagree, The beginning of a segment can be missed when fast-forwarding. The feature is being used in some form by Tivo and Dish  so it's possible.

 

Example: https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/how-to-skip-tv-commercials-with-autohop/

Valued Contributor

Re: Feature requests?


@RadTV wrote:

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?


Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 


I disagree, The beginning of a segment can be missed when fast-forwarding. The feature is being used in some form by Tivo and Dish  so it's possible.

 

Example: https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/how-to-skip-tv-commercials-with-autohop/


Sorry you are wrong, I have never missed the beginning of a segment. Skip forward 30 seconds (Page up key) at a time until you hit the show. Then skip back 15 seconds (Page back key) to make sure you haven't missed anything. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Feature requests?

Comcast owns numerous TV networks and they realize a fortune in income from commercials shown on those channels.

I just don't see a scenario where Comcast cable users could "automatically" skip commercials. In fact, I think we are fortunate to have the 30 second skip feature.

I skip commercials just like warrior does. Use the 30 second skip (most commercials seem to come in three or four minute chunks) then back up with the 15 second replay if needed.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Feature requests?


@m45warrior1 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?


Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 


WIth all the great features they have taken away that we want back this would just be silly for sure. Bottom line is that advertisers would NEVER stand for it. 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Feature requests?

 

Anyone know if the patents have expired yet?

 

Feature requests - 

True slow motion

Frame by frame advance

Ability to go from slow motion to pause

Xfnitity button default setting option (or change the standard default to Saved Recordings)

Record buffer capability (+ buffer actually work when the TV is off)

Cloud storage of the same amount of content as on the DVR(s)

Multiple skip forward and back options

Ability to access DVR content during an outage

Ability to extend all programming longer than 30 minutes

PiP

Regular Contributor

X1 voice command almost deaf to the word "forward".

For the love of God, for playing DVR shows there needs to be an X1 audio "jump" command, ex. "Jump 3 minutes" to replace "forward"... In this situation the AI of the voice command control is almost completely deaf if you follow "forward" with a number, no matter how clearly you enunciate it.  Some days it works fine, other days it gets confused an turns "forward" in "four" or just completely discards it like it wasn't said.

 

"Jump x minutes"" would be much easier for it to "hear" clearly.

Frequent Visitor

Sorting Options

I may be beating a dead horse here, but we *hate* the default to 'Most Recent' in the recorded programs screen. Why can't this be a setting that the users choose, or even better, a setting for order by air date with a choice of ascending or descending order?

 

On a similar point, when we have changed the sort filter to A-Z, we watch a program and then go back in, it would appear that Comcast software developers have a different idea on how the English alphabet goes - see attached...

IMG_0083.JPG
New Poster

Disable Netflix?

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!

Valued Contributor

Re: Disable Netflix?


@Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!


There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

 

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Disable Netflix?


@RadTV wrote:

@Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!


There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

 

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.


I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows.

 

Expert

Re: Disable Netflix?


@TerriB wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!


There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

 

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.


I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows. 


the providers of the programming or the networks determine the 'stacking' (how many past episodes are available) and the date of availability as part of their contracts. Other episodes now are 'money-makers' and made available by on-demand-$ at Comcast and by other streaming sites. It is all about the money.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Disable Netflix?


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!


There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

 

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.


I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows. 


the providers of the programming or the networks determine the 'stacking' (how many past episodes are available) and the date of availability as part of their contracts. Other episodes now are 'money-makers' and made available by on-demand-$ at Comcast and by other streaming sites. It is all about the money.


Actually it's all about Comcasts inability to successdully implement a feature, like Free to You, which should only show content that is...   suprise...  free to the relevant subscriber.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Disable Netflix?


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!


There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

 

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.


I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows. 


the providers of the programming or the networks determine the 'stacking' (how many past episodes are available) and the date of availability as part of their contracts. Other episodes now are 'money-makers' and made available by on-demand-$ at Comcast and by other streaming sites. It is all about the money.


So after a network determines the 'stacking'  - Netflix becomes the provider takes over for the other episodes on many networks even though the programs in question are NOT Netflix shows? Seems very strange to me. I 'get' the On Demand money making by Comcast for older episodes (don't like it but I 'get it')  but I don't get the Netflix connection for older episodes that are from major networks and cable channels and were never part of Netflix programming.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

If I can add my feature requests.  Please don't infer tone; I am a 20+ year comcast customer and do think it's the best service around.

 

[1] I LOVE the sports app that tells me which games are on and at what time.  It's awesome.  However, every time you land on a channel that has a game on, a modal pops up telling me I can press a button to launch the sports app and it stays on for way too long.  Thank you for the tip, but how many times do you need to tell people that?  I bet I've seen that modal over 1000 times.  A "do not show again" feature would be sweet.

 

[2] Speaking of modals, please, for the love of all things holy, remove the gigantic modal that pops up every time you push any button on the remote besides the volume button.  I feel like Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights with all those stickers on his windshield.. And for some reason it stays up so much longer than it used to.  What is the purpose of that?  I know I can press the exit button to get rid of it, but if you press it too quickly on a dvr show, it stops the show and  goes back to whatever channel the box is on.  And if it's a sports channel, that sports app modal pops up again.  Modals modals everywhere.

 

[3] "For You" - this has already been discussed, but please give us the option of which screen we want to see when viewing recordings.  I just want to see my recordings list.

 

[4] On Demand Page Loading:  When I go to On Demand and then scroll right all the way to Networks, for example, each page in between has to load before the next page is seen. I may not have the fastest internet package, but it's almost unusable.  It takes about 3-7 seconds for each page to load before I can keep scrolling right, and most of the time, I press the right button too many times due to the lag time and end up just exiting out of On Demand.  Pausing the auto-query for a second or two would completely solve that, not to mention lower unnecessary downloading of unwanted data.  This is true with the stream app as well.  It's constantly querying which is super inefficient.

 

Thank you for your time.

 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Feature requests?


@RadTV wrote:

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?


Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 


I disagree, The beginning of a segment can be missed when fast-forwarding. The feature is being used in some form by Tivo and Dish  so it's possible.

 

Example: https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/how-to-skip-tv-commercials-with-autohop/


If by chance you FF too fast you can  RW to get where you need to be. You can also RW normally if you use the page up 30 sec or 5 min skip and miss a bit of a program. I am sure its possible technically possible to remove commercials but the networks would start a war as thats how they make money.  Just use the DVR more and you can control what you see and blow thru what you don't want to see.

New Poster

Re: Disable Netflix?

Thank you!

New Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Currently it is possible to extend the stop time of a recording.  The max is 30 minutes.   This seems like it should be enough but we know that on Sports heavy weekends the night shows are often backed up a bit.  This past weekend, the shows were backed up about 40 min so those we recorded were useless and we needed to watch on-demand (with FF features disabled).  I've done stint with Directv and while I don't like them or their service, one thing they had in their DVR was 60 min for extended time.  

 

May I request adding in additional longer times for stop time extension?   Seems an easy change in existing logic and the only impact should be the end user properly managing their space usage.   

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@jiberjab wrote:

Currently it is possible to extend the stop time of a recording.  The max is 30 minutes.   This seems like it should be enough but we know that on Sports heavy weekends the night shows are often backed up a bit.  This past weekend, the shows were backed up about 40 min so those we recorded were useless and we needed to watch on-demand (with FF features disabled).  I've done stint with Directv and while I don't like them or their service, one thing they had in their DVR was 60 min for extended time.  

 

May I request adding in additional longer times for stop time extension?   Seems an easy change in existing logic and the only impact should be the end user properly managing their space usage.   


 CBS Sunday nights when football goes over and right now its NCAA basketball going waaaay over I  have to record 2 or three shows that come on after the show I have already set to record in order to get it all. Royal pain. We do this rather than use On Demand because we can't FF On Demand on network tv.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@Cody21 wrote:

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.


Requesting new features doesn't work very well either...

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

 


@tctc wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.


Requesting new features doesn't work very well either...


...or the return of previously available features (i,e, frame-by-frame advance, proper slo-mo, recording the buffer, etc) Smiley Sad

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@rjc1247 wrote:

 


@tctc wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.


Requesting new features doesn't work very well either...


...or the return of previously available features (i,e, frame-by-frame advance, proper slo-mo, recording the buffer, etc) Smiley Sad


---

I was getting ready to post exactly the same sentiments.  They should give us back the basics they took away before doing anything new. I don't think what we have asked for over and over ad naseum  to be reinstated is too much to ask. Smiley Sad

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Aren't we past all the patent expiration dates by now?

 

That's what folks kept saying was the reason for a lot of the functionality losses, although I still believe it's a bandwidth/performance decision.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@tctc wrote:

Aren't we past all the patent expiration dates by now?

 

That's what folks kept saying was the reason for a lot of the functionality losses, although I still believe it's a bandwidth/performance decision.


No word on that.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@RobertWy wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Aren't we past all the patent expiration dates by now?

 

That's what folks kept saying was the reason for a lot of the functionality losses, although I still believe it's a bandwidth/performance decision.


No word on that.


Tivo sued Comcast again this January over X1 supposedly violating 8 patents.

 

I say just go for 9 or 10 and get us frame by frame back...

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

+1 for this. Need to be able to pad by 1 hour to handle CBS overruns.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

CBS runs 35 minutes over again tonight. Please allow 1 hour padding.

New Poster

TV Box features

Two features that I would like to see from my new X1 TV Box (Arris AX013ANM):

 

1.  Turn off "screen saver" (I know how to shut the box off when I am not watching TV)

 

2.  Digital display shows time, rather than channel number.  My older box showed the channel number  and for time I have a digital clock with 4 inch high numerals next to the TV box,  I don't need two unsynced clocks telling me different times while I guess at what channel it is rtuned to.

 

Disclaimer  I am a semi-retired TV and cable engineer who gets uneasy when I run into a "you can't get there from here" situation.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

I would love a new sort option for recordings, by oldest recordings first. This would save the time of scrolling through 20 episodes of a show to get to the oldest. This should be an easy fix/add since it is just the reverse of something that already exists in the options (newest).
Tags (3)
Contributor

disable Fast Forward display

Is it possible to remove the display during Fast Forward?  It covers the area where the closed captioning is.  I would like to speed-read while I fast forward.

Contributor

X1 gui

The X1 gui is incredibly annoying compared to the old blue screen gui.

 

-I can't read the channel on the guide section.  They all have tiny little symbols now that make my eyes and brain tired.  Yes I enlarged them but it's still not as good as the old big number/big name/no symbol.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

 

-There is an incredibly annoying lag when surfing the interface.  There's a 1.0 second delay in responding to each and every button press.  It should be instant.  The gui doesn't need to be so elaborate that it slows down the response.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

 

-They complicated the "last" channel button.  When you hit last it should immediatelty jump to the last channel and NOT open up a full  menu requiring a second button push.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

 

I always believed if you're annoyed by something you should complain.

Expert

Re: disable Fast Forward display


@OrangeMarker wrote:

Is it possible to remove the display during Fast Forward?  It covers the area where the closed captioning is.  I would like to speed-read while I fast forward.


closed caption does not 'flow' (shown on screen) during fast forward. press 'UP" button to dismiss the fast forward display progress bar.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Frame-by-Frame Advance

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?

Expert

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 


Terri,

 Considering that a couple of years ago "Rusty Ben" was the one who kept talking about TIVO patents "expiring" at the end of 2018 that would return all the features that we've lost, I wish he woud just stop with these failed attempts at being "helpful"...

Most Valued Poster

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 


Terri,

 Considering that a couple of years ago "Rusty Ben" was the one who kept talking about TIVO patents "expiring" at the end of 2018 that would return all the features that we've lost, I wish he woud just stop with these failed attempts at being "helpful"...


==

 

And the fact that he  is not speaking  for the Comcast engineering team speaks volumes. He is well intended but we are still in a quaqmire of missing features and strange work around suggestions .

 

Expert

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 


Terri,

 Considering that a couple of years ago "Rusty Ben" was the one who kept talking about TIVO patents "expiring" at the end of 2018 that would return all the features that we've lost, I wish he woud just stop with these failed attempts at being "helpful"...


not 'all' patents. but like the remote record patent expired and feature was added back to our stream apps/streaming web.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@TerriB wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 


Terri,

 Considering that a couple of years ago "Rusty Ben" was the one who kept talking about TIVO patents "expiring" at the end of 2018 that would return all the features that we've lost, I wish he woud just stop with these failed attempts at being "helpful"...


And the fact that he  is not speaking  for the Comcast engineering team speaks volumes. He is well intended but we are still in a quaqmire of missing features and strange work around suggestions .


how would I (customer like you) ever speak for a comcast engineering team? 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Are we ever going to see the return of the deleted and much missed frame-by-frame capability?


that feature is/was available on the legacy set top boxes. to simulate use a phone/tablet to record the part you wish to examine and then you can use a finger to go forward/backward frame by frame and zoom in, etc.


==

 

Interesting work around but I'll be darned if I am going to use my phone/tablet to get around deleted features  when I pay so much for my Comcast platform that continues to remove what we came to use and enjoy. I could fill a page with what we have lost and  am sure others would chime in!

 


Terri,

 Considering that a couple of years ago "Rusty Ben" was the one who kept talking about TIVO patents "expiring" at the end of 2018 that would return all the features that we've lost, I wish he woud just stop with these failed attempts at being "helpful"...


And the fact that he  is not speaking  for the Comcast engineering team speaks volumes. He is well intended but we are still in a quaqmire of missing features and strange work around suggestions .


how would I (customer like you) ever speak for a comcast engineering team? 


==

 

Rusty Ben...what I was referring it was that you have told us   things would fixed like after the TIVO patent issue.  I do know that you are trying to be helpful but you do tend to make statements that 'sound like' your information is coming from the Comcast  team and we should take them as facts and that give many false hope.

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance

I'd like to extend a big thanks to Comcast for ruining yet another sporting event.  Thanks so much for recording the game "in the cloud" instead of on my DVR, so that the volume is very low, the video quality is horrible, the navigation functions are useless, and slow motion is disabled.  It's just what I was hoping for after a long hard day at work, some added frustration from an issue that's been ongoing and never receives a response.

 

No outages, DVR is not full (both of them, that you said one would be free but you still charge me for monthly), and no, I don't want a 27th service call to my home, thanks.

Official Employee

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@tctc wrote:

I'd like to extend a big thanks to Comcast for ruining yet another sporting event.  Thanks so much for recording the game "in the cloud" instead of on my DVR, so that the volume is very low, the video quality is horrible, the navigation functions are useless, and slow motion is disabled.  It's just what I was hoping for after a long hard day at work, some added frustration from an issue that's been ongoing and never receives a response.

 

No outages, DVR is not full (both of them, that you said one would be free but you still charge me for monthly), and no, I don't want a 27th service call to my home, thanks.


Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above. I have asked that some colleagues review your account and contact you directly so that we can get these issues identified and resolved. 

 

From what I can see, the most recent technician that was out to your location was in  December 2018, so I want the team to check on that as well.   Thanks for your patience.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Really disappointed in the Xg1v4.  Things I like is I can see some of the sporting events available in 4k. Also the guide is very accurate since info is from Gracenote. Also streaming away from home is great compared to Tivo which seems to be restricted to one's home network. Love the size of the Xg1v4 too.  Unfortunately it's not a replacement for my Tivo Roamio Pro. I wouldn't mind getting away from Tivo with something really similar. 

 

Here are the things that would snatch me from Tivo and move me permanently to the X1 DVR platform.

 

Infinite guide scrolling. It is annoying getting to the end of the guide and not being able to automatically scroll to the top of the channel list. 

 

Favorites is broken. The channels in the 1000 range and over are actually organized in a way that makes sense. This is how I have my Tivo. Yet when I choose these channels the X1 decides to choose the ones in the 2-400 range which is a mess. Doesn't matter if I remove them. If I do then the ones I selected in the thousand and over range are also removed. The X1 app on roku actually shows the channels in the 1000 range while the DVR doesn't.

 

 

Storage. 500GB just doesn't cut it. This would not be a problem if we were allowed to attach to a Xg1v4 to an external hard drive. Since you can't this restriction is a real problem for me. My Roamio has a internal 3TB hard drive and if needed I could still add an external drive. Yes I am really using the storage. I am currently at 80% used and have been in the 90s. Adding the ability to connect a external hard drive would be huge. 

 

Native resolution support. It be great to be able to select 2160p and 1080p, letting the TV do the upscaling. 

 

Smoother operation . I am not sure why the Xg1 lags at times when scrolling through the guide and menus. It can get annoying. The Roamio being an older box performs much smoother than this DVR. 

 

Perhaps a lot of this stuff is related to patents and the fighting between Tivo and Comcast. If so I wish these two would work together although I don't see Tivo having much if any leverage in this situation. 

 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Frame-by-Frame Advance


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I'd like to extend a big thanks to Comcast for ruining yet another sporting event.  Thanks so much for recording the game "in the cloud" instead of on my DVR, so that the volume is very low, the video quality is horrible, the navigation functions are useless, and slow motion is disabled.  It's just what I was hoping for after a long hard day at work, some added frustration from an issue that's been ongoing and never receives a response.

 

No outages, DVR is not full (both of them, that you said one would be free but you still charge me for monthly), and no, I don't want a 27th service call to my home, thanks.


Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above. I have asked that some colleagues review your account and contact you directly so that we can get these issues identified and resolved. 

 

From what I can see, the most recent technician that was out to your location was in  December 2018, so I want the team to check on that as well.   Thanks for your patience.  


Thanks Ted s, and help would be great.

 

And yes, haven't had anyone out in a while, just don't have time to continually deal with being there for someone who isn't able to actually make an improvement.  There is clearly noise in my signal coming from somewhere, since the day I started service, but no one has been able to eliminate it, so slow response time, error messages, pixelation, etc. has been ongoing since day 1.

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@ReyLopez wrote:

 

Here are the things that would snatch me from Tivo and move me permanently to the X1 DVR platform.

 

Infinite guide scrolling.

Favorites

Storage.

Native resolution support.

Smoother operation

 

 

I agree with these complaints, especially the lack of native resolution support which was probably omitted to avoid issues with TVs that don't switch gracefully and has backfired with all the problems with HDCP 2.2 handshakes for 4k connections when almost no content is 4k and it shouldn't be required most of the time.

 

Most of my usage involves using voice commands to set up series recordings and then just navigating the saved/recordings listings so I don't have big issues with the navigating the guide or channel surfing, but if I did find that cumbersome, using an ipad with the remote control app is a practical workaround - the scrolling is fast and it and makes it possible to read the guide without interrupting what you are currently watching.

 

Also, I understand that you can add additional xg1v4's if you need more storage and it will use all of the space, but personally if I ever fill mine more than halfway I realize that I'll never catch up watching.  When I had a tivo it was always full - of stuff I hadn't watched by the time it died.

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Good post. I knew about adding a 2nd dvr to have 1tb total and the other plus is it shares all 12 tuners in total. If not for the other things I posted I'd jump all over two of these dvrs. This stuff seems to be fixable via software updates but again I'm not sure how much Tivo is to blame for what the xg1v4 lacks.
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Is there a link somewhere that shows which areas this is available?

 


@ReyLopez wrote:
Good post. I knew about adding a 2nd dvr to have 1tb total and the other plus is it shares all 12 tuners in total. If not for the other things I posted I'd jump all over two of these dvrs. This stuff seems to be fixable via software updates but again I'm not sure how much Tivo is to blame for what the xg1v4 lacks.

 

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Maybe it is my eyes, but I find random scrolling through a bazillion show listings on the TV screen to be a bad experience no matter how fast or smooth it is.  I don't see how anything could make that match the way it works on the ipad - or just asking the remote for what you want.

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests


@tctc wrote:

Is there a link somewhere that shows which areas this is available?

 

 

I thought it would be anywhere that the X1 system is available. I believe you have to pay another $10/mo. DVR fee for each physical DVR but that may depend on when your contract was set up or your local fee schedule.