Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Everyone agrees the guide is terrible. No logical organization. We have as many as three different channel numbers that are all the same broadcast source not including the SD version. TruTV is one example. This is why Comcast has such a poor customer service rating, they just don't listen. They also don't seem to test their forced updates before releasing them.

They need to establish a beta test group willing to try their changes for a week and actually listen to their feedback.

Regular Contributor

And is it really necessary for the DVR master to want to reboot EVERY SINGLE DAY at about 3:00 a.m. I mean really?  This is worse than back in the Windows Vista days, when the only way to keep the system 1/2 way stable was to reboot two or three times a week. This is an outrageously poor engineering and QA/QC design.

Contributor

Comcast likes to know where their equipment is and SW updates. Actually all your boxes are checked nightly. They also like to give messages as to upcoming programming, etc.
Problem Solver

It really is unnecessary to reboot every night. It really could be setup to make xre changes in real time. I think that it does this because the plant is setup this way.
Regular Contributor

@clay5523 wrote:
Comcast likes to know where their equipment is and SW updates. Actually all your boxes are checked nightly. They also like to give messages as to upcoming programming, etc.

OK, but they could certainly pole my devices for information silently, instead of giving me the "restart now" popup box I see every single night. That is quite annoying.

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:
I concur the channel line up is junk. They need to a way to eliminate the sd channels out of it..

EXCUSE ME?  How dare you. That would be pure discrimination against the millions without HD TVs.  I prefer traditioinal channel numbers thank you very much rather than the HD 200 and 800 series which are duplicates for some strange reason and I would like to be able to filter them all out rather than the guide filter option of HD only. There are guide filters that are alot less useful than that would be.  HD is the way of the future but not universal yet.

Regular Contributor

There is a solution for both of you. Go thru the channels and add the ones you want to your favorites. Then when you go into favorites mode, all you see is your channels (like all SD or all HD or some combination).

Silver Problem Solver

@cwayneu wrote:

There is a solution for both of you. Go thru the channels and add the ones you want to your favorites. Then when you go into favorites mode, all you see is your channels (like all SD or all HD or some combination).

Yeah, but that only lasts for 90 minutes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@cwayneu wrote:

Setting up Favorites is tedious and after all the work they don't seem to 'stick' . Got tired of redoing them as we have so many so I just stopped. Good feature but needs to be more stable.
Silver Problem Solver

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/To-Comcast-Change-Favorites-or-delete-it/td-p/2353711

@TerriB wrote:

@cwayneu wrote:

Setting up Favorites is tedious and after all the work they don't seem to 'stick' . Got tired of redoing them as we have so many so I just stopped. Good feature but needs to be more stable.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I would like to see a send back to the cloud feature. It seems random programs get saved to the dvr or were in the cloud and then were transferred to the dvr, which makes the recording not available on mobile. Also it seems the cloud has more recordings availae that aren't available from the dvr.
Most Valued Poster

@TRUFFSHUFF wrote:
I would like to see a send back to the cloud feature. It seems random programs get saved to the dvr or were in the cloud and then were transferred to the dvr, which makes the recording not available on mobile. Also it seems the cloud has more recordings availae that aren't available from the dvr.

Comcast rep on one of these forums said no DVR recordings are ever saved to the cloud; only scheduled list is on the cloud and will come back to the DVR if the box bites the dust.  I am confused.

Regular Visitor

which brings me to another issue of not being able to watch saved DVR shows when cable is out.  This is the strangest thing of all the strange things regarding the X1

Most Valued Poster

@MikeHemp wrote:

which brings me to another issue of not being able to watch saved DVR shows when cable is out.  This is the strangest thing of all the strange things regarding the X1

The DVR is integrated into the set top box so if the cable is out there is no access to the DVR...makes sense?

Regular Visitor

makes no sense they would do things that way.  when I had DirecTV and it went out or was acting up due to stormy weather I could always access recorded movies.

Contributor

I'm in Knoxville TN. How would I know if or when my area has the" cloud" up and running. Is there some indication in the settings, etc.?

Most Valued Poster

@MikeHemp wrote:

makes no sense they would do things that way.  when I had DirecTV and it went out or was acting up due to stormy weather I could always access recorded movies.

Lots of things don't make sense with the way they do things  with X1. Not sure you can compare how Direct TV and cable do things. I am not the expert on the DVR so we may hear from others that I am wrong. All I know is that I can't do anything with the DVR when the cable is out which thankfully is a rare occurrence.  When its out ..its all out.

I can understand how you could still get to your recordings in stormy weather but don't know enough about Direct TV to understand how you could use DVR when the service was down.

Most Valued Poster

@clay5523 wrote:

I'm in Knoxville TN. How would I know if or when my area has the" cloud" up and running. Is there some indication in the settings, etc.?

Call the dedicated X1 cust svc line 877-896-8678. Also try to activate the cloud on your computer and see what it says.. ....xtv.com

Silver Problem Solver

@clay5523 wrote:

If you have the "xfinity TV" app, you can go into the drop down menu and under Saved, there should be a Recordings folder.

Contributor

In the drop down menu under saved, I have a recent folder but no recodings folder, so I guess we don't have the cloud feature as yet

Silver Problem Solver

I know it's futile, but I will try anyway.

It would be nice if CC could be turned off while going through the Guide and the other menus.

Regular Contributor

It would also be nice (and professional) if all menus behaved the same. Some menus wrap as you pass the most right menu option, back to the beginning left most option, while other menus just stall after you reach the last right most option, and force you to use the left arrow to move back (not consistant).

Frequent Visitor

Re the criticism of the person who wants to eliminate all SD channels, I do have HD but choose almost all the time to watch SD.  That way the box holds several more DVRs and the Rewind feature goes a lot further back--like maybe 10 times as far.  And except for football, there's not that much of a difference to warrant shortening my DVR space.

Regular Contributor

I have only had X1 for a short time, but one thing I would like is the ability to jump to a specific time within a recording.  For example, if I'm watching a baseball game and something exciting happens 45 minutes into the game, then after the game is over I want to show that particular section of the game to my kids, rather than fast forward or rewind all I would have to do is say into the voice remote is "jump to 45 minutes" and it takes me there.

Expert

@Nightwolf wrote:

I have only had X1 for a short time, but one thing I would like is the ability to jump to a specific time within a recording.  For example, if I'm watching a baseball game and something exciting happens 45 minutes into the game, then after the game is over I want to show that particular section of the game to my kids, rather than fast forward or rewind all I would have to do is say into the voice remote is "jump to 45 minutes" and it takes me there.

THat would be a very nice feature IMO....  

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Nightwolf wrote:

Never thought about that but what a great feature that would be

Terri

Frequent Visitor

I have not found an actor or keyword search like on the old DVRs.  I'm a fan of certain actors and subjects and found this feature very helpful.  It's really cramping my viewing style not to have it, unless it's there and I'm just not finding it.

Most Valued Poster

@Hachachacha wrote:

I have not found an actor or keyword search like on the old DVRs.  I'm a fan of certain actors and subjects and found this feature very helpful.  It's really cramping my viewing style not to have it, unless it's there and I'm just not finding it.

Easy peasy fix for that! The new   FREE voice control remote is available at Comcast service centers or by mail from Comcast. You press the mic buttom and speak the name of an actor and you get a bio and all that the person has been in. As for subjects I am not sure what you would be asking for so cannot help there.

Most Valued Poster

@alicesoref wrote:

Re the criticism of the person who wants to eliminate all SD channels, I do have HD but choose almost all the time to watch SD.  That way the box holds several more DVRs and the Rewind feature goes a lot further back--like maybe 10 times as far.  And except for football, there's not that much of a difference to warrant shortening my DVR space.

I agree completely! DVR storage is so important.

Diamond Problem Solver

Adding to Terri's suggestion, you will need an Xr11 remote for that if you don't have it already.   Or just use the remote to spell what/ who you're looking for

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'd like to see the return of the feature that allows recording ALL of a current program as long as it is all in memory.  Removing this is one of Comcast's many blunders!

Regular Visitor

I would like my menu once I select "Favorite" for it to remain on Favorite until I change it.  It is a pain to keep changing back to favorite every time I turn the TV on.

Frequent Visitor

I would like to have the option in the extend recording times settings to extend 2 min "When Possible".

My old dvr (windows media center) had the following options to end recording :

- 1 min after

- 1 min after when possible

- 5 min after

- 5 min after when possible

etc....

When Possible meant that if there was another show scheduled to record after the current recording as long as there were free tuners it would extend the recording time. However if the extension of the record time would mean that another scheduled show would not record because there were no other available tuners, it would ignore the extension and end the current recording at the original time (especially if the next recorded show is on the same channel).

Also (and i may be missing this somewhere) i would like the ability to set the recording defaults ... for example i may want to set my defaults so that extend recording 1 min is the default when i record a show. 

Expert
Moved:

Post Moved & Merged into Existing X1 Technical Issues Thread

Most Valued Poster

I would like an indicator on the progress bar that shows how much time there is from where I am currently to live, when watching a buffer or recording in progress.

Frequent Visitor

I look at the time bar then compare it to the actual time. This gives a good indication of progress.

Most Valued Poster

@Captpeacock wrote:

I'd like to see the return of the feature that allows recording ALL of a current program as long as it is all in memory.  Removing this is one of Comcast's many blunders!

The recording buffer was one of best and most useful features on X1 so of course they removed it. Its is at the top of the list of features taken away that we want back but seems Comcast has turned a deaf ear.  We also want real slo mo for FF and RW and frame by frame back but same deafness issue.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the slow motion and frame by frame advance should not even be a question of a basic DVR package.  This is old technology. The fact that we have to beg for it is strange at best.

Regular Contributor

More often than not, if I just take the default ending times, the recordings have the last minute chopped off. Some shows, like Madame Secretary are consistantly off by 30 minutes, so I get the last 30 minutes of the previous show, then just the 1st 30 minutes of Madame Secretary. It's like it really does not do a good job of using the timing codes for starting and stopping programs.

Valued Contributor

@cwayneu wrote:

More often than not, if I just take the default ending times, the recordings have the last minute chopped off. Some shows, like Madame Secretary are consistantly off by 30 minutes, so I get the last 30 minutes of the previous show, then just the 1st 30 minutes of Madame Secretary. It's like it really does not do a good job of using the timing codes for starting and stopping programs.

That's not a problem with the DVR. Some of the networks consistently run their programs over by 30 seconds to a minute. No idea why they feel the need to do this. 

Silver Problem Solver

@cwayneu wrote:

I've always wondered if TiVO has the same issue with Madame Secretary.

Most Valued Poster

@Grouchy1 wrote:

Yes, the slow motion and frame by frame advance should not even be a question of a basic DVR package.  This is old technology. The fact that we have to beg for it is strange at best.

Even begging doesn't work. The key is that these features were there as was recording buffer and then they were gone. Comcast said the cloud technology is why we lost the buffer ( we question that logic) but slo mo and frame by frame? Heck I had that on my VCR

New Poster

Dream Features

Post your dream features for the X1 operating system here. Maybe the sytem designers will see it.

If you agree with any suggestion, please press the Kudos button.

Problem 1: Many movies have ocasional subtitles, always at the bottom of the screen. When you pause a show the progress bar has a completely black background that takes up the bottom 20% of the screen. When you hit play the progress bar stays on the screen for aprox. 7 seconds.

If any subtitles display durring that time you miss it and you can't pause movies to read what it says. If you press the replay button, the progress bar again stayes on the screen too long and you miss it again forcing you to press it 2 or 3 times to go back far enough to see the subtitle. It's very annoying.

Also If you press exit the progress bar will close BUT If you fumble around and it takes you to long to find the exit button, the show completely STOPS and you have to go back in and resume, wait, and then again the progress bar is over the subtitles. This is very very annoying.

Solution 1: a) Move progress bar to the very bottom of the screen, b) make the background completely transparent. c) Remove the un-needed movie icon on the left d) Move all text on top of the bar justified to the left and right (out of the way). e) Finally, if the show is playing, get rid of progress bar after immediately. If it's already playing, what purpose is the bar serving?

New Poster

Re: Dream Features

Removing Series you don't want to record any more is far too difficult.

Problem 1: It takes multiple button presses to find Series Priority (If you remember where is burried) and then every series you remove, refreshes the screen and takes you back to the top of the list.

If you are removing obsolete series at the bottom of the list you must page down down down down etc. remove it and repeat for the next one. IMPORTANT: If you don't already know to press the green "D" button on the remove, you can't remove series at all.

Solution 1: Make it easier to locate in the menu tre and re-design this screen from scratch and improve the interface. Tell users to press "D". Also add a search feature to help locate the series.

Problem 2: When pressing the "Info" button on the remote, there is a menu option for "Series Info". Selecting that option redundantly repeats Episodes from the previous menu and adds a Cancle option that lets you delete or keep the recording. Frankly thats pointless. There are other simpler way to delete recordings.

Solution 2: On "Series Info" menu change "Cancle" to "Cancle Series". when selected, it prompts for confirmation. Remove this series? [Yes]  [No]

Change  "Episodes" to "Series Priority". When selected, the Series Priority screen is displayed with the series already scrolled into view. We should not have to search for it.

Contributor

As a new customer I am mainly loving Xfinity after being on Dish for 20 yrs.  But here are my main requests:

1. Add more categories under guide when you press guide twice.  Add Premium Movies, Documentary, History

2.  Add a sort feature or an option to only list the channels I pay for. It is a pain to scroll when I'm in ALL CHANNELS with tons of Spanish Channels. Also with Dish for years I could have 2 or 3 lineups showing in guide

3.  Regroup like channels near each other like why is some HBO way up in 800's and most in the 550 range?  And if I want to check out NFL network I have to root around to find ESPN etc

Contributor

@ericmvan wrote:

My wish list:

1) Day+ and Day- in the guide. An absolute necessity whose omission beggars belief.

2) 30-second skip ahead.

3) The ability to set a manual recording. Others have explained how useful this can be. A friend of mine returned his X1 specifcally because it was missing this feature.

4) A "Live" button, with the ability to grab the buffer of the active tuner if you press "Record."

Again, it's baffling that the last three features were removed. The four colored ABCD buttons could be mapped to Day+, Day-, Live, and Skip.

The rest are less important. In no particular order ...

5) Ability to search for a *channel* while in the guide.

6) Better timing on the reset after coming out of fast forward. It jumps back far too much. I know my reaction time is good, but I've taken to waiting several seconds after seeing the end of the commercial break before hitting "Play", and that's an eternity when it comes to reaction times. If you hit "Play" as soon as you see content you want to watch, you can get three to five seconds of commercial. It's aggavating, because the old DVRs had this down pat.

7) When you hit play after a single FF (two arrows on screen), the sexy fade-out of the single "play" arrow takes 2.5 seconds. That's a good second too long. If you're fast forwarding from one baseball pitch or football play to the next, you're likely to get the arrow over the action you wanted to see. (Kudos, however, on fixing this FF speed; on the old DVRs, it was uselessly slow, and the next speed was too fast for this.)

8) I like the idea of not bothering with 1, 3, and 5 extra minutes for live events, but as others have noted, not all of them are correctly coded in the database. So, how about 1, 3, 10, and Other as the default, where Other would bring up 30 min, 60, 90, and 120? That would work fine. Whereas known live events would just have the 30, 60, 90, 120 menu.

9) As just mentioned, you should definitely have 120 extra minutes for live events, because in the course of a baseball season some games will absolutely last longer than 4:30.

10) Better database coding. Repeats of shows like South Park *on other networks* are not marked as such. Setting the Series option to "HD Only" removes a lot of the extra entries from Scheduled, but not all of them.

You can program the remote to skip ahead 30 sec.  When I 1st signed up last month it was a pain when I hit page up or down and it jumped 5 minutes ahead.  I searched the forms and found a very easy trick so now I have 30 sec and if needed just hit it a few times. 

he page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".

then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds.

@NorCalChewy wrote:

Any idea on how to get it back to 5 mins?

You follow the same process indicated above, but instead of 0030, you use 0500.

The 4 digit code is minutes in seconds....so if you want to do 10 minutes 1000, 45 seconds 0045.

I have only tested 0500 and 0030.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Dream Features

@Kiq wrote:

Removing Series you don't want to record any more is far too difficult.

Problem 1: It takes multiple button presses to find Series Priority (If you remember where is burried) and then every series you remove, refreshes the screen and takes you back to the top of the list.

If you are removing obsolete series at the bottom of the list you must page down down down down etc. remove it and repeat for the next one. IMPORTANT: If you don't already know to press the green "D" button on the remove, you can't remove series at all.

Solution 1: Make it easier to locate in the menu tre and re-design this screen from scratch and improve the interface. Tell users to press "D". Also add a search feature to help locate the series.

Problem 2: When pressing the "Info" button on the remote, there is a menu option for "Series Info". Selecting that option redundantly repeats Episodes from the previous menu and adds a Cancle option that lets you delete or keep the recording. Frankly thats pointless. There are other simpler way to delete recordings.

Solution 2: On "Series Info" menu change "Cancle" to "Cancle Series". when selected, it prompts for confirmation. Remove this series? [Yes]  [No]

Change  "Episodes" to "Series Priority". When selected, the Series Priority screen is displayed with the series already scrolled into view. We should not have to search for it.

All I do to cancel a series recording is to go to the next one scheduled, press cancel and select 'all future episodes' and its done.  Since our scheduled list is looooong and I am not sure where the next scheduled episode is or just don't want to scroll thru them all I just use my voice remote and voice search for the program name and then do the cancel on the next scheduled episode...QED. If you don't have a voice remote just use search function. I don't want 'episodes' changed to 'series priority'.  They are two totally different functions. I have never even used the 'priority' feature. We use all the tuners and record like crazy people and quite frankly not really sure what I would use the  series priority for.

Most Valued Poster

bfallona,

I am confused by your top wish list items. We have them already.

1) Day+ and Day- in the guide. An absolute necessity whose omission beggars belief.

Solution: FF and RR double arrows changes the days on the guide

2) 30-second skip ahead.

Solution: Page up and page down

3) The ability to set a manual recording. Others have explained how useful this can be. A friend of mine returned his X1 specifcally because it was missing this feature.

Solution:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

4) A "Live" button, with the ability to grab the buffer of the active tuner if you press "Record."

Solution: There is a live button....its 'exit'. Not completely sure what you mean by grabbing the buffer though.

====

5) Ability to search for a *channel* while in the guide.

Solution: While on the guide just put in the channel number and hit enter and the guide will go there

I don't completely understand the rest of your wish list so I will defer to  a member of the Comcast team.

New Poster

Movie Descriptions

I have a 51" TV and still have trouble reading the description of a program because of the small white letters on black background.  Before I changed to this new "package" I had white letters on a blue background and had no trouble reading the description.  Also, on a Movie Description under my "old" package, it included all of the movie info like the year it was made and the stars rating.  Why does the new package have less information?  There are no stars rating at all!

Also, with all the money this company is making, why can't they have a device that shows the time AND the channel number!  My "new" box, again, has less features than my "old" box.

These are questions for Comcast, but I cannot find a way to contact them.....of course.  I refuse to call because this is not a big issue for them and I would end up talking to Malaysia or India!

Regular Contributor

My feature requests:

1.  I really miss the ability to output native resolution.  I suspect that my TV does a better job of deinterlacing 1080i content, but I have the X1 box set to 1080p because we watch a lot of ABC & Fox (720p) and I don't think setting the box to 1080i would be a good choice for 720p channels, as they would have to be scaled and would go from a progressive feed to an interlaced one (and ulitmately be converted back to a progressive feed by the TV).  Just give us a "native" option PLEASE!

2.  When scheduling a series to record, if you choose to only keep 5 episodes for example, it seems to only keep the OLDEST 5 and then stop recording new episodes.  I don't know if this has been corrected or not, but I remember running into this issue once and was shocked to find that new episodes weren't recording.  The system should replace the OLDEST episode when a new one airs - not stop recording altogether!

3. I see that reminders have been added via Comcast Labs, but why doesn't reminders give you an option to auto-tune vs. simply reminding you?  I don't just want a reminder, sometimes I want to auto-tune to a channel when an upcoming show comes on.  This is really useful if you're in an adjacent room such as the kitchen cooking/eating or something and you don't see the reminder.  But if the TV is on and you can hear it, you'll know when your show comes on.  My old Dish DVR from 10 years ago had an auto-tune option in addition to a reminder when selecting a future program in the guide and I've missed this feature ever since.