Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Valued Contributor

Re: Feature requests?

RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?

Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 

Valued Contributor

m45warrior1 wrote:

RadTV wrote:

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?

Oh come on... that's just a silly request that we all know will never happen. Plus I would not trust the system to remove the commericals accurately. You can just skip through the commericals using the PAGE Forward button. It only takes a few seconds. The key can be set to skip ahead 30 seconds or 5 minutes. 

I disagree, The beginning of a segment can be missed when fast-forwarding. The feature is being used in some form by Tivo and Dish  so it's possible.

Example: https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/how-to-skip-tv-commercials-with-autohop/

Valued Contributor

RadTV wrote:

m45warrior1 wrote:

RadTV wrote:

I disagree, The beginning of a segment can be missed when fast-forwarding. The feature is being used in some form by Tivo and Dish  so it's possible.

Example: https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/how-to-skip-tv-commercials-with-autohop/

Sorry you are wrong, I have never missed the beginning of a segment. Skip forward 30 seconds (Page up key) at a time until you hit the show. Then skip back 15 seconds (Page back key) to make sure you haven't missed anything. 

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast owns numerous TV networks and they realize a fortune in income from commercials shown on those channels.

I just don't see a scenario where Comcast cable users could "automatically" skip commercials. In fact, I think we are fortunate to have the 30 second skip feature.

I skip commercials just like warrior does. Use the 30 second skip (most commercials seem to come in three or four minute chunks) then back up with the 15 second replay if needed.
Most Valued Poster

m45warrior1 wrote:

RadTV wrote:

WIth all the great features they have taken away that we want back this would just be silly for sure. Bottom line is that advertisers would NEVER stand for it. 

Regular Contributor

Anyone know if the patents have expired yet?

Feature requests - 

True slow motion

Frame by frame advance

Ability to go from slow motion to pause

Xfnitity button default setting option (or change the standard default to Saved Recordings)

Record buffer capability (+ buffer actually work when the TV is off)

Cloud storage of the same amount of content as on the DVR(s)

Multiple skip forward and back options

Ability to access DVR content during an outage

Ability to extend all programming longer than 30 minutes

PiP

Regular Contributor

X1 voice command almost deaf to the word "forward".

For the love of God, for playing DVR shows there needs to be an X1 audio "jump" command, ex. "Jump 3 minutes" to replace "forward"... In this situation the AI of the voice command control is almost completely deaf if you follow "forward" with a number, no matter how clearly you enunciate it.  Some days it works fine, other days it gets confused an turns "forward" in "four" or just completely discards it like it wasn't said.

"Jump x minutes"" would be much easier for it to "hear" clearly.

Frequent Visitor

Sorting Options

I may be beating a dead horse here, but we *hate* the default to 'Most Recent' in the recorded programs screen. Why can't this be a setting that the users choose, or even better, a setting for order by air date with a choice of ascending or descending order?

On a similar point, when we have changed the sort filter to A-Z, we watch a program and then go back in, it would appear that Comcast software developers have a different idea on how the English alphabet goes - see attached...

IMG_0083.JPG
New Poster

Disable Netflix?

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!

Valued Contributor

Re: Disable Netflix?

Jeff_Bueker wrote:

My complaint: I don't have a Netflix subscription and do NOT want it BUT I want to remove the option from my X1 platform when searching for movies. I search for FREE movies and when I go to some of these the only option is Netflix ... which i don't have so it's not free. I then use the Drop Down option to select FREE TO ME and the Netflix movies are still there. I want to disable Netflix on X1 to remove it from my searches OR write a letter to the Programmers or whomever to make the suggestion? THANK YOU!

There's a topic about the issue here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.

Most Valued Poster

RadTV wrote:

Jeff_Bueker wrote:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Removing-Netflix-movies-from-Free-Options/td-p/3013967

The ondemand team needs to address the issue because the way they set it up is not correct.

I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows.

Expert

TerriB wrote:

RadTV wrote:

Jeff_Bueker wrote:

I don't want Netflix either. Its not just movies that are affected. Many programs we used to be able to watch previous episodes for free On Demand are now 'tagged' Netflix OR there is a charge to watch them...Really? I am not talking about Netflix programs...these are regular network and cable shows. 

the providers of the programming or the networks determine the 'stacking' (how many past episodes are available) and the date of availability as part of their contracts. Other episodes now are 'money-makers' and made available by on-demand-$ at Comcast and by other streaming sites. It is all about the money.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

RadTV wrote:

Jeff_Bueker wrote:

the providers of the programming or the networks determine the 'stacking' (how many past episodes are available) and the date of availability as part of their contracts. Other episodes now are 'money-makers' and made available by on-demand-$ at Comcast and by other streaming sites. It is all about the money.

Actually it's all about Comcasts inability to successdully implement a feature, like Free to You, which should only show content that is...   suprise...  free to the relevant subscriber.

Most Valued Poster

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

RadTV wrote:

Jeff_Bueker wrote:

So after a network determines the 'stacking'  - Netflix becomes the provider takes over for the other episodes on many networks even though the programs in question are NOT Netflix shows? Seems very strange to me. I 'get' the On Demand money making by Comcast for older episodes (don't like it but I 'get it')  but I don't get the Netflix connection for older episodes that are from major networks and cable channels and were never part of Netflix programming.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

If I can add my feature requests.  Please don't infer tone; I am a 20+ year comcast customer and do think it's the best service around.

[1] I LOVE the sports app that tells me which games are on and at what time.  It's awesome.  However, every time you land on a channel that has a game on, a modal pops up telling me I can press a button to launch the sports app and it stays on for way too long.  Thank you for the tip, but how many times do you need to tell people that?  I bet I've seen that modal over 1000 times.  A "do not show again" feature would be sweet.

[2] Speaking of modals, please, for the love of all things holy, remove the gigantic modal that pops up every time you push any button on the remote besides the volume button.  I feel like Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights with all those stickers on his windshield.. And for some reason it stays up so much longer than it used to.  What is the purpose of that?  I know I can press the exit button to get rid of it, but if you press it too quickly on a dvr show, it stops the show and  goes back to whatever channel the box is on.  And if it's a sports channel, that sports app modal pops up again.  Modals modals everywhere.

[3] "For You" - this has already been discussed, but please give us the option of which screen we want to see when viewing recordings.  I just want to see my recordings list.

[4] On Demand Page Loading:  When I go to On Demand and then scroll right all the way to Networks, for example, each page in between has to load before the next page is seen. I may not have the fastest internet package, but it's almost unusable.  It takes about 3-7 seconds for each page to load before I can keep scrolling right, and most of the time, I press the right button too many times due to the lag time and end up just exiting out of On Demand.  Pausing the auto-query for a second or two would completely solve that, not to mention lower unnecessary downloading of unwanted data.  This is true with the stream app as well.  It's constantly querying which is super inefficient.

Thank you for your time.

Most Valued Poster

RadTV wrote:

m45warrior1 wrote:

RadTV wrote:

If by chance you FF too fast you can  RW to get where you need to be. You can also RW normally if you use the page up 30 sec or 5 min skip and miss a bit of a program. I am sure its possible technically possible to remove commercials but the networks would start a war as thats how they make money.  Just use the DVR more and you can control what you see and blow thru what you don't want to see.

New Poster

Thank you!

New Poster

Currently it is possible to extend the stop time of a recording.  The max is 30 minutes.   This seems like it should be enough but we know that on Sports heavy weekends the night shows are often backed up a bit.  This past weekend, the shows were backed up about 40 min so those we recorded were useless and we needed to watch on-demand (with FF features disabled).  I've done stint with Directv and while I don't like them or their service, one thing they had in their DVR was 60 min for extended time.  

May I request adding in additional longer times for stop time extension?   Seems an easy change in existing logic and the only impact should be the end user properly managing their space usage.   

Most Valued Poster

@jiberjab wrote:

Currently it is possible to extend the stop time of a recording.  The max is 30 minutes.   This seems like it should be enough but we know that on Sports heavy weekends the night shows are often backed up a bit.  This past weekend, the shows were backed up about 40 min so those we recorded were useless and we needed to watch on-demand (with FF features disabled).  I've done stint with Directv and while I don't like them or their service, one thing they had in their DVR was 60 min for extended time.  

May I request adding in additional longer times for stop time extension?   Seems an easy change in existing logic and the only impact should be the end user properly managing their space usage.   

CBS Sunday nights when football goes over and right now its NCAA basketball going waaaay over I  have to record 2 or three shows that come on after the show I have already set to record in order to get it all. Royal pain. We do this rather than use On Demand because we can't FF On Demand on network tv.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

Yea, so much for "AUTO EXTEND" feauture, right ?   That feature doesn't work very well.

Requesting new features doesn't work very well either...

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

...or the return of previously available features (i,e, frame-by-frame advance, proper slo-mo, recording the buffer, etc) Smiley Sad

Most Valued Poster

@rjc1247 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

...or the return of previously available features (i,e, frame-by-frame advance, proper slo-mo, recording the buffer, etc) Smiley Sad

---

I was getting ready to post exactly the same sentiments.  They should give us back the basics they took away before doing anything new. I don't think what we have asked for over and over ad naseum  to be reinstated is too much to ask. Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Aren't we past all the patent expiration dates by now?

That's what folks kept saying was the reason for a lot of the functionality losses, although I still believe it's a bandwidth/performance decision.

Silver Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

That's what folks kept saying was the reason for a lot of the functionality losses, although I still believe it's a bandwidth/performance decision.

No word on that.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@tctc wrote:

No word on that.

Tivo sued Comcast again this January over X1 supposedly violating 8 patents.

I say just go for 9 or 10 and get us frame by frame back...

Regular Visitor

+1 for this. Need to be able to pad by 1 hour to handle CBS overruns.

Regular Visitor

CBS runs 35 minutes over again tonight. Please allow 1 hour padding.

New Poster

TV Box features

Two features that I would like to see from my new X1 TV Box (Arris AX013ANM):

1.  Turn off "screen saver" (I know how to shut the box off when I am not watching TV)

2.  Digital display shows time, rather than channel number.  My older box showed the channel number  and for time I have a digital clock with 4 inch high numerals next to the TV box,  I don't need two unsynced clocks telling me different times while I guess at what channel it is rtuned to.

Disclaimer  I am a semi-retired TV and cable engineer who gets uneasy when I run into a "you can't get there from here" situation.

Regular Visitor

I would love a new sort option for recordings, by oldest recordings first. This would save the time of scrolling through 20 episodes of a show to get to the oldest. This should be an easy fix/add since it is just the reverse of something that already exists in the options (newest).
Tags (3)
Frequent Visitor

disable Fast Forward display

Is it possible to remove the display during Fast Forward?  It covers the area where the closed captioning is.  I would like to speed-read while I fast forward.

Frequent Visitor

X1 gui

The X1 gui is incredibly annoying compared to the old blue screen gui.

-I can't read the channel on the guide section.  They all have tiny little symbols now that make my eyes and brain tired.  Yes I enlarged them but it's still not as good as the old big number/big name/no symbol.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

-There is an incredibly annoying lag when surfing the interface.  There's a 1.0 second delay in responding to each and every button press.  It should be instant.  The gui doesn't need to be so elaborate that it slows down the response.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

-They complicated the "last" channel button.  When you hit last it should immediatelty jump to the last channel and NOT open up a full  menu requiring a second button push.  Why sacrifice utility for complicated fanciness?

I always believed if you're annoyed by something you should complain.

Expert

Re: disable Fast Forward display

@OrangeMarker wrote:

Is it possible to remove the display during Fast Forward?  It covers the area where the closed captioning is.  I would like to speed-read while I fast forward.

closed caption does not 'flow' (shown on screen) during fast forward. press 'UP" button to dismiss the fast forward display progress bar.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!