Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Another time this issue comes into play is when the spoken dialogue of a movie is hard to understand and we are relying on the closed captions (which usually are at the screen bottom). We try to back up and read what was missed but the DVR controls hide the captions. Annoying!

Valued Contributor

@CrowDriver wrote:

Many TV channels scroll important info along the very bottom of the screen. e.g. scores of other games during sporting events, news flashes on the 24 hour news channels (MSNBC, FOX, CNN).

The DVR navigation graphics are right there on the bottom completely covering up all that important information. So let's say that I want to back up a program to see if the Mets or the Cubs just scored 2 runs, or if the Secy of Defense just announced that a U.S. bombing attack on North Korea at this time is a) unthinkable or 2) now happening.

If I try to back up the program to read the info, then the DVR controls hide the text the channels are scrolling. And after I click on reverse or pause then the DVR control icons stay there for several seconds as the text scrolls by completely unreadable.

Surely there should be an option to put the DVR navigation at EITHER the top or bottom of the screen, whichever place the user wants it to be!

Hit the exit key, that will close the DVR controls.

Most Valued Poster

@CrowDriver wrote:

Many TV channels scroll important info along the very bottom of the screen. e.g. scores of other games during sporting events, news flashes on the 24 hour news channels (MSNBC, FOX, CNN).

The DVR navigation graphics are right there on the bottom completely covering up all that important information. So let's say that I want to back up a program to see if the Mets or the Cubs just scored 2 runs, or if the Secy of Defense just announced that a U.S. bombing attack on North Korea at this time is a) unthinkable or 2) now happening.

If I try to back up the program to read the info, then the DVR controls hide the text the channels are scrolling. And after I click on reverse or pause then the DVR control icons stay there for several seconds as the text scrolls by completely unreadable.

Surely there should be an option to put the DVR navigation at EITHER the top or bottom of the screen, whichever place the user wants it to be!

There are so many things wrong with how much of the screen is blocked and when.  And it's such an easy fix.  But providing customers with UI options does not generate revenue, so it doesn't make the list.

Most Valued Poster

@WoofGrrrr wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

WELCOME to the island of misfit toys! I wish you all the luck in the world having your dreams come true. Do I sound cynical? We are a great bunch of avid forum X1 users but have found that our wish lists seem to contain wanting broken things and bugs  fixed rather than  having new features.  I have had X1 since  day one and all in all I like it but useful things get taken away far too often for my taste. Once again...welcome and so glad you found this forum

I seem to get the impression that Comcast isn't listening to its customers.

With all the ads I've been seeing for X1 recently, I had thought that Comcast were really proud of their system, and that they wanted their customers to be happy with it.

I'm a recent convert from DirecTV.  There are a lot of things I like about X1, but there are so many nits that make it harder to use than it should be.

My BIGGEST gripe is that there is NO WAY to schedule something to record if it is NOT in the schedule within the next two weeks.  I really want to record Planet Earth II on BBC America, but I cannot. It's scheduled for more than a month in the future.  This is NUTS.  Tivo has had the ability to record this for many years.  Even DIrecTV has it.

You have the correct impression.

Expert

@CrowDriver wrote:

Another time this issue comes into play is when the spoken dialogue of a movie is hard to understand and we are relying on the closed captions (which usually are at the screen bottom). We try to back up and read what was missed but the DVR controls hide the captions. Annoying!

just press the "UP" button to dismiss the DVR progress bar. If you press the exit key at the wrong moment the playback of a recording or an on-demand asset will 'exit' and you will be returned back to live TV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

How about picture in picture (2 channels viewable)? That would be great!
Frequent Visitor

@sbudaj wrote:
How about picture in picture (2 channels viewable)? That would be great!

I am all for the "B" remote button to be used for a real Picture-in-Picture feature where you can watch 2 channels at once.

Regular Contributor

It's a great idea but wouldn't you need another tuner dedicated to picture in picture. I don't think these boxes are set up to do this...no?
Regular Contributor

Frame-by-frame advance, frame-by-frame advance, frame-by-frame advance...

Most Valued Poster

@rjc1247 wrote:

Seconded, that and real slow motion... advance towards 70's era technology already.

When do the patents expire?   (and no, that shouldn't matter, Comcast should pay to provide basic functionality, and yes, frame by frame advance is basic functionality for any platform in this era)

And that does require re-design of the remote.  Play and Pause Cannot be the same button for full functionality.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

Seconded, that and real slow motion... advance towards 70's era technology already.

When do the patents expire?   (and no, that shouldn't matter, Comcast should pay to provide basic functionality, and yes, frame by frame advance is basic functionality for any platform in this era)

And that does require re-design of the remote.  Play and Pause Cannot be the same button for full functionality.

end of 2017 and 2018 will expire most of their 'time machine' patents.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

end of 2017 and 2018 will expire most of their 'time machine' patents.

Thx, any idea on the month for frame-by-frame?  I tried to search for it, no luck.

Comcast can afford to pay royalties until then, whenever it is...

Regular Visitor

You can "search" for it and schedule it to record, even if the show is in it's off-season. Just hit the xfinity button and then move to search. You can either use the arrows to type in the name of the show or movie, or you can use the number pad to do it quicker. For instance, if you are searching the word "dog," you would hit 364.
Regular Visitor

You can do frame by frame. You pause what you are watching and then instead of pressing play, you press the fast-forward or rewind button just once.
Expert

@Jese314 wrote:
You can do frame by frame. You pause what you are watching and then instead of pressing play, you press the fast-forward or rewind button just once.

this is the X1 forum, did you mean to post here about non-X1 equipment?

Frequent Visitor

The people have determined the pip should be on the B button. 

All in favor say aye!

Please reply yo this, aye or nay.

Regular Visitor

Nope. I have the X1 system. It works on that system as well.
Expert

@Jese314 wrote:

ok, well on X1 there is no frame by frame, and slow mo (1/2 speed) with directions you gave for 'pause then Fastforward". Reverse rev2 (shows 2 arrow tips without a 2)

Most Valued Poster

@Jese314 wrote:

If you press ff when paused on X1 you are supposed to get slow motion, not one frame advance (I get it 50% of the time).

If you get one frame advance, then how do you activate slow motion?

Regular Visitor

When I push pause and then the fast forward button once, it shows a vertical line and then a play arrow next to it. It then goes frame by frame slow motion. If my program is already playing and I hit the fast forward button, then it will show the two arrows.
Regular Visitor

It possibly may be not quite frame by frame but it is slower than half speed. I tried to video it but it's impossible to show what I am doing and what my television is doing in a way that you can accurately see what I am talking about. I tried quite a few times. When my daughter or husband gets home, I will have him hold my phone and video me doing it and what the television does.
Most Valued Poster

@Jese314 wrote:
When I push pause and then the fast forward button once, it shows a vertical line and then a play arrow next to it. It then goes frame by frame slow motion. If my program is already playing and I hit the fast forward button, then it will show the two arrows.

Are you sure it's frame by frame?

When I push ff when paused I get a psuedo slow motion, it's slowed from normal play speed, but not as slow as the prior platform, and certainly not anywhere near frame by frame slow.

Regular Contributor

Feature requests?

Is there a feature request section for xfinity somewhere?

For example, I think my TV is probably better at upscaling and video processing than the X1 boxes so I'd like to see an output option to pass through the signal in its original format instead the box possibly converting 720p to 1080, then the TV upscaling that to 4k.   I thought my older DVR had a choice like that but I can't find it on the X1.

Also, an app to play media from your local network would be great - like Plex, Kodi, or just a simple DLNA player,

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Feature requests?

Please keep in mind that X1 is now well over four years old. It is highly unlikely that anyone could offer a feature suggestion that hasn't been heard before.

Picture quality concerns along with native resolution settings have been beaten into the ground in this forum......
New Poster

Hi,

I'd like to suggest a feature that could be added to your DVR service.

User segregated DVR content.  I wish it were simpler for my parents to access the few shows that they record, but it gets complicated because I have recordings set for many shows. 

It would be handy to be able to have separate "playlists" for different users so that I can keep my content from cluttering my parents menu.

It would be handy to view content by user (perhaps with verification) or "All" as it exists now, minus user content marked to not be shared.

Seems like it would be easy to implement on the computer accessed content side, maybe trickier for "standard" TV sets with boxes.

Whatta ya think?
Most Valued Poster

@Luke129 wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to suggest a feature that could be added to your DVR service.

User segregated DVR content.  I wish it were simpler for my parents to access the few shows that they record, but it gets complicated because I have recordings set for many shows. 

It would be handy to be able to have separate "playlists" for different users so that I can keep my content from cluttering my parents menu.

It would be handy to view content by user (perhaps with verification) or "All" as it exists now, minus user content marked to not be shared.

Seems like it would be easy to implement on the computer accessed content side, maybe trickier for "standard" TV sets with boxes.

Whatta ya think?

I think that's a great idea.

And if you can figure out a way to tie it to revenue generation they might actually think about implementing it.

Maybe just because it could be another page full of ads.

And it would also help solve the ridiculous need to constantly "sync DVR" to delete shows that I don't want others to see on my DVR.

Since Comcast is completely incapable of fixing a bug...

Frequent Visitor

How do you "sync" a DVR?
Most Valued Poster

@alicesoref wrote:
How do you "sync" a DVR?

Settings, Device Settings, Sync DVR

Generally removes all of the previously deleted content that failed to delete successfully do to the ongoing bug...

Contributor

Feature Request Playback

I would like the ability to play recorded programs when there is an outage. Like we could from the old motorola boxes

Outages rarely are just tv, usualy around here its tv interntet and phone.

Regular Contributor

Flipping back through some of the feature requests, it looks like many of them have come to pass (I see pausing live TV, youtube, etc.).  So how do we keep lobbying for the important ones that haven't come around yet?

Gold Problem Solver

You are assuming that Comcast is actually listening.

If Comcast were listening to the the suggestions posted in this forum, X1 would probably look and feel better quite a bit different than it currently does.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Feature Request Playback

As long as X1 uses a cloud based guide is highly unlikely this feature will happen.

I have an indoor antenna connected to two of my TV sets in case power goes out.

@wapo wrote:

I would like the ability to play recorded programs when there is an outage. Like we could from the old motorola boxes

Expert

@wapo wrote:

if you have X1 you can play compteted cloud DVR recordings as well as download them for viewing where you do not need internet at all. for Android or apple devices use the xfinity stream Tv app, for other compatible computers use a browser and go to https://tv.xfinity.com/

Regular Visitor

Are there or will an update to allow slow motion playback features

Are there or will there be an update to allow slow motion playback features with the X1 system.it is something I would enjoy using.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Are there or will an update to allow slow motion playback features

Unlikely as long as Comcast continues to employ the current cloud based X1 guide.

Tlowe_323 wrote:
Are there or will there be an update to allow slow motion playback features with the X1 system.it is something I would enjoy using.

Expert

Re: Are there or will an update to allow slow motion playback features

@Tlowe_323 wrote:

slow motion (trick play) is part of firmware and is available for approximately 1/2 speed now (press pause then the FF button one time).

Most Valued Poster

@Jese314 wrote:
It possibly may be not quite frame by frame but it is slower than half speed. I tried to video it but it's impossible to show what I am doing and what my television is doing in a way that you can accurately see what I am talking about. I tried quite a few times. When my daughter or husband gets home, I will have him hold my phone and video me doing it and what the television does.

Were you 'around' when we had real slo mo and frame by frame because there is a huge difference in the modified slo mo we have now and what we used to have.

Official Employee

Hi, wapo - There is an option to download your recordings or On Demand content on your smartphone/tablet via XFINITY Stream app. You won't need an internet connection to view the downloaded content. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hi, wapo - There is an option to download your recordings or On Demand content on your smartphone/tablet via XFINITY Stream app. You won't need an internet connection to view the downloaded content. 

Of course that doesn't really solve his delema unless he can somehow figure out when the outage might happen and already have downloaded his content. Having access to play content on the DVR when the system is down is the only answer. It boggles the mind as to why Comcast can't or won't allow this. 

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

Of course that doesn't really solve his delema unless he can somehow figure out when the outage might happen and already have downloaded his content. Having access to play content on the DVR when the system is down is the only answer. It boggles the mind as to why Comcast can't or won't allow this. 

I agree, the question was about watching DVR content on a big screen TV.  Not about watching pre-downloaded content on another device.

It would cost Comcast $ to implement and it's not part of their plan for the future of the platform, thus that capabilty, along with many other basic functionalities, do not exist.

Official Employee

lesmikesell, thanks for your ideas and feedback! You can submit them in writing here, https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

Hi Comcast,

Many of your users would like to see these updates (or returns of previous functionality that was removed) - 

True slow motion

Frame by frame advance

Ability to go from slow motion to pause

Xfnitity button default option (or at least change the standard default to Saved Recordings)

Record buffer capability

Cloud storage of the same amount of content we have on our DVR

Multiple skip forward and back options (would solve - better short rewind response)

Ability to access DVR content during an outage (yes, we know this one will never happen since the whole control system is server based for some reason, but there's no reason all the others couldn't have been implemented by now)

PiP

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Here's a simple request. Amplify the audio signal. Some channels are so low we have to turn our surround sound system on to hear the conversations. Even channels like CNN news. We have a 60" Sharp Smart TV and I know it is not the TV sound system, because if we watch something thru our Amazon Fire Stick or Ruku box, bypassing the Comcast signal, the volume is fine.

Expert

@cwayneu wrote:

Here's a simple request. Amplify the audio signal. Some channels are so low we have to turn our surround sound system on to hear the conversations. Even channels like CNN news. We have a 60" Sharp Smart TV and I know it is not the TV sound system, because if we watch something thru our Amazon Fire Stick or Ruku box, bypassing the Comcast signal, the volume is fine.

your programming is sent in streams unchanged by Comcast. The annoying trend seems to be (to me) the addition of background music during conversation at a level that makes it hard to hear the individual spoken words. The production studios decide volume level at time they create the program for distribution.

Most Valued Poster

Is it possible for a Comcast employee to respond to a list of feature requests?

Requested Features (or returns of previous functionality that was removed) - 

True slow motion

Frame by frame advance

Xfnitity button default option (or at least change the standard default to Saved Recordings)

Record buffer capability

Multiple skip forward and back options (would solve - better short rewind response)

Ability to access DVR content during an outage (yes, we know this one will never happen since the whole control system is server based for some reason, but there's no reason all the others couldn't have been implemented by now)

PiP

Ability to extend all programming longer than 30 minutes

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

Is it possible for a Comcast employee to respond to a list of feature requests?

Requested Features (or returns of previous functionality that was removed) - 

True slow motion

Frame by frame advance

Record buffer capability

PiP

Ability to extend all programming longer than 30 minutes

So I guess that's a no?

Regular Contributor

Back before I retired, I was a systems manager for a large company. We bought many software packages from many different companies for mega dollars. Most of those software companies would allow customers to add to a wishlist and then all customers could vote once a year, to give the companies some priority. They would assess the votes and publish a projected features/fixes report for the following year. It was a great way to show customer service and support. I have never seen Comcast do anything similar.

Most Valued Poster

@cwayneu wrote:

Back before I retired, I was a systems manager for a large company. We bought many software packages from many different companies for mega dollars. Most of those software companies would allow customers to add to a wishlist and then all customers could vote once a year, to give the companies some priority. They would assess the votes and publish a projected features/fixes report for the following year. It was a great way to show customer service and support. I have never seen Comcast do anything similar.

I always wondered how Comcast decides what features to remove or add. They seem to remove features that are extremely popular. TCTC and many of us have asked about the items on his recent list more times than I can remember and there is mostly silence from the Comcast end.

Valued Contributor

I would like to see commercials removed from a recorded program because everyone knows the user will fast-forward the commercials of a recorded program so why not automatically remove them when the user presses record?