Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Contributor

Re: some X1 features that would be appreciated

hi,

i wonder if maybe with a better method of modifying and interating with the seres recording lists. it would make mangaing conflicting recording easyer? i wonder if im the only one who has ever found it tricky or a nuicance to deal with it? anyone else. 

have a nice day

Most Valued Poster

@RachelS2 wrote:

hi,

i wonder if maybe with a better method of modifying and interating with the seres recording lists. it would make mangaing conflicting recording easyer? i wonder if im the only one who has ever found it tricky or a nuicance to deal with it? anyone else. 

have a nice day

How would you like to change the process?  Do you have a suggestion as to how to make it better?  You probably do the same as I do: Cancel the conflicting program ( only the conflicting one...not the series) and use 'other times' to record it later.  I have done this for years. Every couple of weeks I go thru all the upcoming programming and take care of the conflicts.  Don't have as many conflicts now that we can record more programs at one time than we used to be able to which makes the process much easier .  Of course shows on ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX  don't normally have 'other times' but I record so many cable network shows its not a problem to change record times for those. If all else fails and I miss a conflict there is always On Demand.  It would also help if the networks didn't 'mark'  repeats as 'new' .

Regular Contributor

Something I find to be a PITA is trying to record a MOVIE in HD that shows up in the GUIDE LIST. e.g., go to HBO and scroll thru the movies & times. Find something I want to record which ends up being SD, not HD.  Now I have to jump thru hoops and select "OTHER TIMES" & scroll thru THAT list, pressing INFO on every one of the items to find one that is HD !  Tedious. (you already switch to HD when I just key in a majory network number - message: "Switching to HD based o your preferences")

I think a great feature would be to automatically jump to the 1st HD version of the movie - asking : "Is THIS is the HD version you want to record"? or only show a resultant list of HD versions so that we don't have to scroll thru them to find a HD version. That way we can jusyt go to the 1st one, hit record & be done. 

thanks for considering.  or if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

Something I find to be a PITA is trying to record a MOVIE in HD that shows up in the GUIDE LIST. e.g., go to HBO and scroll thru the movies & times. Find something I want to record which ends up being SD, not HD.  Now I have to jump thru hoops and select "OTHER TIMES" & scroll thru THAT list, pressing INFO on every one of the items to find one that is HD !  Tedious. (you already switch to HD when I just key in a majory network number - message: "Switching to HD based o your preferences")

I think a great feature would be to automatically jump to the 1st HD version of the movie - asking : "Is THIS is the HD version you want to record"? or only show a resultant list of HD versions so that we don't have to scroll thru them to find a HD version. That way we can jusyt go to the 1st one, hit record & be done. 

Cody, on our guide list it shows 'hd' next to the premium channel # logos  that are  HD

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Cody, on our guide list it shows 'hd' next to the premium channel # logos  that are  HD

OK, I don't see that in the GUIDE. Can we be specific?  e.g., I am in the GUIDE now. I scroll to say 561 (Cinemax). The LOGO (on the left side) only shows a  "(star) CINEMAX 561" ... Where would I see "HD".  What I am talking about is that the Movies that show in the Guide (like Cinemax) are almost ALL in SD.  Please read my original message again. I'm talking about being able to CHOOSE a movie to record & have the system automatically rcord a HD version, based on my preferences.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

OK, I don't see that in the GUIDE. Can we be specific?  e.g., I am in the GUIDE now. I scroll to say 561 (Cinemax). The LOGO (on the left side) only shows a  "(star) CINEMAX 561" ... Where would I see "HD".  What I am talking about is that the Movies that show in the Guide (like Cinemax) are almost ALL in SD.  Please read my original message again. I'm talking about being able to CHOOSE a movie to record & have the system automatically rcord a HD version, based on my preferences.

Cody, on my guide the HD notation is just to the right of the channel logo...some are larger than others but its on all of them.  The HD versions are the first ones listed under each premium channel lineup.

I am one could hardly read the guide so if I can see it you should be able to....lol.  Am I being silly by asking if you tried to set your guide preferences to HD only? I just did that and all the premium HD show up and still  have the "hd" just after the channel logo.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Cody, on my guide the HD notation is just to the right of the channel logo...some are larger than others but its on all of them.  The HD versions are the first ones listed under each premium channel lineup.

I am one could hardly read the guide so if I can see it you should be able to....lol.  Am I being silly by asking if you tried to set your guide preferences to HD only? I just did that and all the premium HD show up and still  have the "hd" just after the channel logo.

I do NOT see any "HD NOTATION" of any sort to the right of the channel logo. Yes, HD appears on the NETWORK stations (e.g., 703, 705, 707) ... but when I go to the start of the Premium channels in the Guide (516, 518, etc) ...  all I see is a STAR + LOGO + NUMBER ...  should I post a PIC? Are you saying that in the GUIDE, when you go to THESE specific channel numbers you're seeing "HD" in the Logo??? or are you starting at a different channel number?

And yes, I have HD as my preferences.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

I do NOT see any "HD NOTATION" of any sort to the right of the channel logo. Yes, HD appears on the NETWORK stations (e.g., 703, 705, 707) ... but when I go to the start of the Premium channels in the Guide (516, 518, etc) ...  all I see is a STAR + LOGO + NUMBER ...  should I post a PIC? Are you saying that in the GUIDE, when you go to THESE specific channel numbers you're seeing "HD" in the Logo??? or are you starting at a different channel number?

I just took a pic of my screen BUT can't get my darn phone to send it to my comcast email...sits in outbox...grrr. I then tried to send it to my yahoo email and its says that one is not valid...I give up.

I go to 300 which is my first premium channel and its  HBO and its marked HBO hd in the far right hand column in the logo block. I don't see a star like you do. I changed my guide view to HD to take the pic so you could see all the premiums marked with hd in the logo in one place.  Yes post a picture if you can. I googled on some images of the guide trying to find one like I have with premiums showind hd notation in the logo and saw the star but its not on mine...???

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

I just took a pic of my screen BUT can't get my darn phone to send it to my comcast email...sits in outbox...grrr. I then tried to send it to my yahoo email and its says that one is not valid...I give up.

I go to 300 which is my first premium channel and its  HBO and its marked HBO hd in the far right hand column in the logo block. I don't see a star like you do. I changed my guide view to HD to take the pic so you could see all the premiums marked with hd in the logo in one place.  Yes post a picture if you can. I googled on some images of the guide trying to find one like I have with premiums showind hd notation in the logo and saw the star but its not on mine...???

Thanks for bearing with me here on trying to figure this out.  OK< I now SEE what you're referring to in the GUIDE. I have a total of 5 channels in the Premium that have that HD in the logo.  HBO-HD, STARZENCORE (no HD in the logo though),  STARZ-HD, SHOWTIME-HD, MAX-HD ...   The channels I'm referring to are nlot those however. It's the glut (30 or more) of the Premium channels that start in the 500's ...  THOSE seem to ALL be SD ... so here's what I'm saying - when I go to THAT set of channels ad browse thru, and say I find something I want to record, it will almost ALWAYS be SD. So the only way to find an HD version is to (1) INFO, (2) OTHER TIMES, (3) Scroll thru a impossibly long list to again press INFO to find a HD version to record.  << That's the issue that seems could be drastically enhanced, imho.

Does that make sense?  Otherwise I'll try to post a pic.  Thanks !!!!

Diamond Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Cody21, the star represents a channel that's a favorite. The channels that you used as an example (Starz Encore Family and Starz Encore West) don't have an HD counterpart. You and TerriB are comparing apples and oranges, her HD premium channels and yours are different because of the market. Your premium channels start at 516 and go up.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Thanks for bearing with me here on trying to figure this out.  OK< I now SEE what you're referring to in the GUIDE. I have a total of 5 channels in the Premium that have that HD in the logo.  HBO-HD, STARZENCORE (no HD in the logo though),  STARZ-HD, SHOWTIME-HD, MAX-HD ...   The channels I'm referring to are nlot those however. It's the glut (30 or more) of the Premium channels that start in the 500's ...  THOSE seem to ALL be SD ... so here's what I'm saying - when I go to THAT set of channels ad browse thru, and say I find something I want to record, it will almost ALWAYS be SD. So the only way to find an HD version is to (1) INFO, (2) OTHER TIMES, (3) Scroll thru a impossibly long list to again press INFO to find a HD version to record.  << That's the issue that seems could be drastically enhanced, imho.

Does that make sense?  Otherwise I'll try to post a pic.  Thanks !!!!

I  am so GLAD you see what I see. I only have one 'set' of premium channels and they start with 300 in my market. I changed my guide to HD only and still only see one set in the lineup so I guess I can't help any further but enjoyed trying....!

May I ask why you just don't use the ones you said you can see with the had indicator?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Cody21, the star represents a channel that's a favorite. The channels that you used as an example (Starz Encore Family and Starz Encore West) don't have an HD counterpart. You and TerriB are comparing apples and oranges, her HD premium channels and yours are different because of the market. Your premium channels start at 516 and go up.

I get that Andrew, thanks ...  But like I said, the glut of my Premium's starting at 516-593 ALL appear as SD from what I can see when pressing INFO.... but that's my point --  If I see something there that I want to record, I want to record the HD version -- if one exists -- not the SD version showing on that Guide Display. So again, the feature I am requesting (if at all possible) is that when I press RECORD for an item on any of my Premium channels, the technolgy should honor my Preferences for an HD recording and AUTOMATICALLY find the soonest one that is HD & tell me that it found one to record, "DO YOU WISH TO RECORD IT?"  ...  Otherwise (read my inital post please) I have to jump thru a bunch of hoops to Find & RECORD one that is HD ...   Does that make sense now??????? 

thanks all.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Andrew...AH HA...thanks so much.

Diamond Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

I get that Andrew, thanks ...  But like I said, the glut of my Premium's starting at 516-593 ALL appear as SD from what I can see when pressing INFO.... but that's my point --  If I see something there that I want to record, I want to record the HD version -- if one exists -- not the SD version showing on that Guide Display. So again, the feature I am requesting (if at all possible) is that when I press RECORD for an item on any of my Premium channels, the technolgy should honor my Preferences for an HD recording and AUTOMATICALLY find the soonest one that is HD & tell me that it found one to record, "DO YOU WISH TO RECORD IT?"  ...  Otherwise (read my inital post please) I have to jump thru a bunch of hoops to Find & RECORD one that is HD ...   Does that make sense now??????? 

thanks all.

Maybe I'm missing something where are your preferences HD? How about an example of something that it's happening with?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Cody21 From what you describe easiest would be to go to your HBO-HD channel (voice remote "HBOHD" or type in numbers for HBOHD). once you are on the chan hit guide, the left button, OK, "channel info" and scroll down. when you select off the listings this way the recording will always be on that channel. Of course if you know the name of the movie you can search for it and select HD channel to record a showing.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

Cody21 From what you describe easiest would be to go to your HBO-HD channel (voice remote "HBOHD" or type in numbers for HBOHD). once you are on the chan hit guide, the left button, OK, "channel info" and scroll down. when you select off the listings this way the recording will always be on that channel. Of course if you know the name of the movie you can search for it and select HD channel to record a showing.

Yea, I get that ... but I guess my point is not clearly coming across to everyone.  The MOVIES listed on the non-HD glut of channels (Cinemax, Showtime, HBO, Starz, etc) which appear at the 500 series numbers are NOT the same movies at that time on the HD-version channels (5 of them).  I am only making a FEATURE request that would seriously enhance this beast. The basic thing I'm requesting is that if I Select & press RECORD for ANY movie, that the preference for HD be honored and the system automatically FIND the 1st (or list) of that Movie which is HD. Then I can Record it, or not.  Otherwise the hoops we must jump thru are tedious -- yes, it is possible, but a PITA ...  Is that any clearer?  If not, try it yourself & tell me how many steps you must go thru to find/record a HD movie after seeing something in the non-HD list of Premiums.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Yea, I get that ... but I guess my point is not clearly coming across to everyone.  The MOVIES listed on the non-HD glut of channels (Cinemax, Showtime, HBO, Starz, etc) which appear at the 500 series numbers are NOT the same movies at that time on the HD-version channels (5 of them).  I am only making a FEATURE request that would seriously enhance this beast. The basic thing I'm requesting is that if I Select & press RECORD for ANY movie, that the preference for HD be honored and the system automatically FIND the 1st (or list) of that Movie which is HD. Then I can Record it, or not.  Otherwise the hoops we must jump thru are tedious -- yes, it is possible, but a PITA ...  Is that any clearer?  If not, try it yourself & tell me how many steps you must go thru to find/record a HD movie after seeing something in the non-HD list of Premiums.

Hi Cody, I understood what you were saying, should have chimed in earlier.  My guess is the fastest way is, once you've seen the SD listing, voice control a search for that title, then see if an HD option is listed.

Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

Hi Cody, I understood what you were saying, should have chimed in earlier.  My guess is the fastest way is, once you've seen the SD listing, voice control a search for that title, then see if an HD option is listed.

Cody wants the system to do that for him automatically, since he has selected the "Auto Tune to HD" option.  The problem with that is people will be getting mad that their recording didn't take place when they selected it, because the system decided to record an HD version 2 weeks later. I think that is opening a can of worms.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Cody wants the system to do that for him automatically, since he has selected the "Auto Tune to HD" option.  The problem with that is people will be getting mad that their recording didn't take place when they selected it, because the system decided to record an HD version 2 weeks later. I think that is opening a can of worms.

@that's whay I suggested a message or confirmation like : "We have found an HD version of (movie) which will record on mm/dd/yy @ hh:mm.  Select Proceed / Cancel "

Diamond Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@that's whay I suggested a message or confirmation like : "We have found an HD version of (movie) which will record on mm/dd/yy @ hh:mm.  Select Proceed / Cancel "

When you find your movie/ show choose info and go to Other Times and set up a recording from there. It lists both SD and HD and the channel it will record from.

Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@tctc wrote:

When you find your movie/ show choose info and go to Other Times and set up a recording from there. It lists both SD and HD and the channel it will record from.

Geesh, That's precisely my point !  Should be done FOR us with the technology. Very tedious scrolling thru a LIST of shows, pressing Info trying to find an HD version. If I have a preference for HD-only, when I press RECORD but the movie is SD, find me the darn Movie in HD & allow me to select it.  

Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Geesh, That's precisely my point !  Should be done FOR us with the technology. Very tedious scrolling thru a LIST of shows, pressing Info trying to find an HD version. If I have a preference for HD-only, when I press RECORD but the movie is SD, find me the darn Movie in HD & allow me to select it.  

Cody, I totally get your point, but X1 doesn't even have a rudimentary recording conflict resolution setup like WIndows Media Center had almost 15 years ago. And if they did try to make it happen don't expect it anytime soon. I was told I could expect "Auto Pad Recordings" for Cloud DVR recordings sometime next year.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Cody, I totally get your point, but X1 doesn't even have a rudimentary recording conflict resolution setup like WIndows Media Center had almost 15 years ago. And if they did try to make it happen don't expect it anytime soon. I was told I could expect "Auto Pad Recordings" for Cloud DVR recordings sometime next year.

We can drop this ...   The title of this Thread is "some X1 features that would be appreciated" ...   that's all I was trying to contribute to trying to make this X1 Awesomer  :-)

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@RachelS2 wrote:

hi,

have a nice day

How would you like to change the process?  Do you have a suggestion as to how to make it better?  You probably do the same as I do: Cancel the conflicting program ( only the conflicting one...not the series) and use 'other times' to record it later.  I have done this for years. Every couple of weeks I go thru all the upcoming programming and take care of the conflicts.  Don't have as many conflicts now that we can record more programs at one time than we used to be able to which makes the process much easier .  Of course shows on ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX  don't normally have 'other times' but I record so many cable network shows its not a problem to change record times for those. If all else fails and I miss a conflict there is always On Demand.  It would also help if the networks didn't 'mark'  repeats as 'new' .

Hello TerriB,

Thank you for asking, i feel that their could be a few options that may or may not work depending on ones own preferences, but in theory i would say that they could make the series recordings sublist into its own heading like "For you, Saved, and scheduled" it would be easyer to manage without accidentally closing out of the list al togather like i frequently do. after thinking on it a bit i feel that maybe just updating the scheduled menue would be better so that if their is a conflict you get a pop up notice when  a conflict is found or as soon as you turn on the tv. if they had a cover art option for the scheduled section they ould place a marker on it and it would work the same way. however i would like to see alternate recording times offered (when available) for those shows that must be canceled to avaoide the conflict.

a few ideas for fluffy updates or changes that i wouldnt mind seeing along with this and seeing sereis recordings in a list from oldest episode to newest would actually be a cover art option for the Saved list and Scheduled list (Guide view). i actually enjoy serching through things by pcture art so that ould be nice too.

have a wonderfull day.

Most Valued Poster

@RachelS2 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RachelS2 wrote:

hi,

have a nice day

Hello TerriB,

Thank you for asking, i feel that their could be a few options that may or may not work depending on ones own preferences, but in theory i would say that they could make the series recordings sublist into its own heading like "For you, Saved, and scheduled" it would be easyer to manage without accidentally closing out of the list al togather like i frequently do. after thinking on it a bit i feel that maybe just updating the scheduled menue would be better so that if their is a conflict you get a pop up notice when  a conflict is found or as soon as you turn on the tv. if they had a cover art option for the scheduled section they ould place a marker on it and it would work the same way. however i would like to see alternate recording times offered (when available) for those shows that must be canceled to avaoide the conflict.

a few ideas for fluffy updates or changes that i wouldnt mind seeing along with this and seeing sereis recordings in a list from oldest episode to newest would actually be a cover art option for the Saved list and Scheduled list (Guide view). i actually enjoy serching through things by pcture art so that ould be nice too.

have a wonderfull day.

Thanks for sharing. I would just like to see a DVR category that says "series recordings scheduled" so I could see the names of the series I was scheduled for. This way I could cancel the series that were no longer on TV (because repeats  of cancelled shows sometimes get recorded when not new) . Also would like that to verify that I did indeed have certain series scheduled after long hiatus periods.  I personally have no use for "For You" category.

There is a conflict notation on the scheduled list  and if you try to watch a program and all the tuners are in use you get an on screen message about your choices to watch/cancel,switch channel,etc.  Not sure how they would show conflicts when you first turn on the tv. For what time frame?  There could be a long list in some cases and I personally  would not want to see that every time I turn on the set.  It would be very helpful to have those with a conflict  show up as a subset on the scheduled list.

As I said before there are 'other times' shown for all programs where available so not sure what enhancement you are looking for. I use that all the time when there are conflicts.

When there are more than one program in a series recorded  oldest to newest is right to left so not sure what you are looking for.

Glad you like picture art but we need to keep it off certain screens that are busy enough now.

I just wish they would fix whats wrong and bring back the universally useful features they have taken away.

Regular Contributor

I have to agree with a simple view of "Series Recordings Scheduled'.  It is way too difficult to find something so simple. If I don't have something in a Series thatt will actually record for 2 weeks, it is very tedious to have to page thru all my Scheduled items .. or do a FIND, if I remembered the name of the series.

Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

I have to agree with a simple view of "Series Recordings Scheduled'.  It is way too difficult to find something so simple. If I don't have something in a Series thatt will actually record for 2 weeks, it is very tedious to have to page thru all my Scheduled items .. or do a FIND, if I remembered the name of the series.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there is a way to manage and canel series recordings already. See here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-cancel-a-series-recording-for-a-series-not...

Is it intuitive? No. But it is there already. If that's not what you are looking for, then I apologize for bringing this up.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there is a way to manage and canel series recordings already. See here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-cancel-a-series-recording-for-a-series-not...

Is it intuitive? No. But it is there already. If that's not what you are looking for, then I apologize for bringing this up.

DEFINITELY not Intuitive ... but, yes, possible to do that THERE.   (OK, maybe something more INTUITIVE, or a separate line Item called "Manage Series")

Most Valued Poster

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

======

Thanks so much for pointing out managing/canceling series using Series Priority. I always wondered what  Series Priority really meant as the title does not really tell the tale ...lol. Its a good news bad news process. I have not even reached the end of the list and am way over 150 programs in the list. I have cancelled dozens of old series and have many many more pages to look at BUT since after cancelling a series it takes you back to the beginning of the list I am going to break my 'page down' button before this is all said and done. Took a break for now and will do more later.  It is not however the slightest bit intuitive but I am happy to see that I can cancel from here and see what I have.

Regular Contributor

I would appreciate:

Auto extend that actually works.  Missed the end of MNF again tonight.

(Then I tried the new controls to use the lightning advance to get back to the end of the game and make sure it hadn't accidentally kicked me out too early.  It took 5 tries, each time stopping successively earlier, because each time it just skipped to the end and jumped out of the recording, even though I pressed the button several minutes before the end.  Finally went about 2/3 of the way, then used 4x the rest of the way.  Of course this may only be an issue for me, since my server response time is and has been horrible since I started the service 2 years ago.)

Slow motion that initiates 100% of the time when I press the forward button from Pause.   Which is what is supposed to happen, but is only about 50% successful.

Frame by frame advance.

An option to not have a screen cluttered on every button press.

At least have everything go off the screen when you press arrow up, not sure why the bottom third clears but the giant circle in the middle has to remain for a couple more seconds, since it's not necessary in the first place.

And no, these aren't new requests, but maybe one day a good UI engineer will get hired and we'll see some progress...

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@RachelS2 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RachelS2 wrote:

hi,

have a nice day

Hello TerriB,

have a wonderfull day.

Thanks for sharing. I would just like to see a DVR category that says "series recordings scheduled" so I could see the names of the series I was scheduled for. This way I could cancel the series that were no longer on TV (because repeats  of cancelled shows sometimes get recorded when not new) . Also would like that to verify that I did indeed have certain series scheduled after long hiatus periods.  I personally have no use for "For You" category.

There is a conflict notation on the scheduled list  and if you try to watch a program and all the tuners are in use you get an on screen message about your choices to watch/cancel,switch channel,etc.  Not sure how they would show conflicts when you first turn on the tv. For what time frame?  There could be a long list in some cases and I personally  would not want to see that every time I turn on the set.  It would be very helpful to have those with a conflict  show up as a subset on the scheduled list.

As I said before there are 'other times' shown for all programs where available so not sure what enhancement you are looking for. I use that all the time when there are conflicts.

When there are more than one program in a series recorded  oldest to newest is right to left so not sure what you are looking for.

Glad you like picture art but we need to keep it off certain screens that are busy enough now.

I just wish they would fix whats wrong and bring back the universally useful features they have taken away.

Hi TerriB,

You have a lot of good points and i apreciate the discussion. I also dont se the "for you" page and having the sereis recordings list (series scheduled to record) in its own subheading with "Saved" and the like would be so very helpfull and in my own opinion more user friendly. whenever i use it i end up accidentally exiting out all the time and have to go through a bunch of steps to get back to what i was trying to do.

Having an alert for scheduled program conflics poping up when you turn on a tv, in retrospect probably want a great idea but maybe an hours notice before the programs in question start would be good? a small pop up in the corner that gives the options to "dismiss notification" or "go to conflict" which would pull up the list of scheduled at the point of the problem.

for the newest to oldest being left to right i would like them to be flipped to have it go oldest to newest. it only saves a few button pushes but it would still be nice. 

i was thinking it would be nice to have the picture art as an alternativ view option that can be turned on or off in settings so it wouldnt bother other users who preffer the list view/ the art could have  the nearest play time stamped on the bottom of the picture with a small x in the corner to mark the conflict clicking it cou;d then bring up a screen with that program and the conflict ing program and offer to cancell or offer the other time to switch it too from that ame screen and save us some work. if that makes sense.

i understand how loss of those universally desired features bothers people. the deltion problem gets me sometimes but it happens so often ive gotten used to it now its the constant rebooting that gets me. i supose im lucky though because im not much into sports and so the slo mo and frame by frame dont impact me as the way it does others.

Thanks for the conversation,

have a wonerfull day. 

New Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

A missing feature I know most sports fans have been begging for (and many have switched away from Xfinity for) is the ability to request all live games for a team be recorded (without having to select the team as a favorite in the current setup which then records pre-games, locker-room reports, coaches shows, re-runs of games, etc) and have the series option to extend the end time of all those games up to 2 hours (or auto-extend) as you can for individual recording settings, but not for favorites teams recordings. The old Comcast DVRs could do this, as can DirecTV, and it is a VERY valuable feature for sports fans. Thank you.

Regular Contributor

@bccorski1 wrote:

A missing feature I know most sports fans have been begging for (and many have switched away from Xfinity for) is the ability to request all live games for a team be recorded (without having to select the team as a favorite in the current setup which then records pre-games, locker-room reports, coaches shows, re-runs of games, etc) and have the series option to extend the end time of all those games up to 2 hours (or auto-extend) as you can for individual recording settings, but not for favorites teams recordings. The old Comcast DVRs could do this, as can DirecTV, and it is a VERY valuable feature for sports fans. Thank you.

That would be great.

Contributor

Need more storage or give us the ability to add an external hard drive.
Regular Contributor

I REALLY wish that PAUSE would actually PAUSE when pausing a program & we go to something we Recorded, watch THAT, then come back to the PAUSED show.  Right now, after exiting a Recorded show, we have to remember where we were in the Timeline of that not-paused show & RWD back. 

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

I REALLY wish that PAUSE would actually PAUSE when pausing a program & we go to something we Recorded, watch THAT, then come back to the PAUSED show.  Right now, after exiting a Recorded show, we have to remember where we were in the Timeline of that not-paused show & RWD back. 

I am assuming you mean when you PAUSE live TV program.  Hows about pressing ' record' on the live show and then if you want to come back after watching a previously recorded show you are assured having the 'live' show recorded from the point you left off and can get to the place you need to be  on the 'live' show easily by watching the time on the progress bar.

Regular Contributor

Yea, I get that ... but very convoluted IMHO.   I mean, if there is in fact a BUFFER, why not just allow us to PAUSE the darn thing when we're watching anotehr recording?   Thanks

New Poster

In reference to suggested feature #7 of this post, add the option to remove the Play/Pause/FF/REW and accompanying progesss bar completely. It's annoying and useless.

New Poster

As a former DTV and Dish user, the ability to store recorded programs in user-defined folders would be huge. This is the only thing we miss about Dish. Not only could you make folders, the Dish system would remember that all recordings of Seinfeld would automatically go into the Seinfeld folder, not into the main pile for you to move there later.

We had folders for each member of the family, with subfolders in each!

Regular Contributor

@PandR_x1 wrote:

In reference to suggested feature #7 of this post, add the option to remove the Play/Pause/FF/REW and accompanying progesss bar completely. It's annoying and useless.

Couldn't agree more.

An option to turn that off completely would be a great feature.

Expert

@PandR_x1 wrote:

I enjoy/like having the progress bar and can easily dismiss it by pressing the up button. It would be nice for it to quickly change to a much more minimized UI to bottom of screen, using the opaque setting (blackness of menus) in the settings menu.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

There are a few features the have been requested in past forum discussions and we are evaluating the inclusion of these in future X1 DVR releases.  Here are a few that we are tracking.

• Ability to quickly navigate out in time in the on-screen program guide to more easily find programs to record.
  • Inform the customer of conflicts when setting a new series recording
  • Ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV on the Player Mini’s (non-DVR set-top box)
  • Better documentation on how features work.

Hello Andrew,

I was wondering if you would let us know which if any requests are being looked at (tracked) or conidered for implementation like you did with this post. It has been a while and any indication that these requests are even being looked at would be very thoughtfull.

Have a wondefull day.

Frequent Visitor

I would love it, for lists, if options like Filter and Sort Order were SAVED, so I would not have set them over and over and over.

Also, the way you get to these and other item(s) in the header above the list (list options?) -- using the arrow key -- is nuts.

If I am looking at something way, way down in the list, and I want to change sort order, I have to scroll way back to the top of the list, just so I can hit the up arrow one more time to get to Filter/Sort/Series-Priority/etc options.  It would be so much better if you could use some key -- maybe "setup", i.e. to set up the list) -- to set list options.

-

New X1 User as of January 2017.
Frequent Visitor

I have been using X1 for less than a month now, and there a few things that would make it much easier for me to use...

1. I would like to see, better use of Original Air Dates. I know you can see them in the info box for the selected item in the Guide. I would find them much more useful with Saved/Recordings and Saved/Scheduled.  I prefer to watch series in air-date-order.  With some series, this is absolutey CRITICAL.  (Can you imagine trying to watch "Lost" in random order???)

2. When you select a recording under Saved/Recordings, it shows a list of tiles which appears to be in most-recently-recorded order.  I would find original-air-date-order far more useful. Again, I prefer to watch series in air-date-order. When you select a tile, is lists the recording date but not the air date.

3. At the end of this list of tiles, there is an additional "More Episodes" tile.  If there are more than just a few episodes recorded, this tile is the ONLY tile find useful.  I hate having to scroll to the end of this long list of tiles to get to this More Episodes tile. There's got to be an easier way.  You can select one of the tiles and select the "Episodes" tile, but that is too colvoluted. It is nice that More Episodes lists recordings per-season, but More Episodes should also list the air dates.

4. The per-season listing is great, but how do you delete a whole season, all at once???

5. Getting to Filter and Sort Order is convoluted!  Press Down Arrow once, then Up Arrow once???   And what if you've been looking at something way down on the list, nd you want to change the Filter?  You have to Up-Arrow all the way back up to the top of the list, then click Up Arrow one more time. That's a pain.  How about using the "Setup" button, or the Left Arrow button to take you directly to the list options?

6. Finally (to repeat,) it should save the Filter and Sort Order for next time.

-

Most Valued Poster

@WoofGrrrr wrote:

I have been using X1 for less than a month now, and there a few things that would make it much easier for me to use...

1. I would like to see, better use of Original Air Dates. I know you can see them in the info box for the selected item in the Guide. I would find them much more useful with Saved/Recordings and Saved/Scheduled.  I prefer to watch series in air-date-order.  With some series, this is absolutey CRITICAL.  (Can you imagine trying to watch "Lost" in random order???)

2. When you select a recording under Saved/Recordings, it shows a list of tiles which appears to be in most-recently-recorded order.  I would find original-air-date-order far more useful. Again, I prefer to watch series in air-date-order. When you select a tile, is lists the recording date but not the air date.

3. At the end of this list of tiles, there is an additional "More Episodes" tile.  If there are more than just a few episodes recorded, this tile is the ONLY tile find useful.  I hate having to scroll to the end of this long list of tiles to get to this More Episodes tile. There's got to be an easier way.  You can select one of the tiles and select the "Episodes" tile, but that is too colvoluted. It is nice that More Episodes lists recordings per-season, but More Episodes should also list the air dates.

4. The per-season listing is great, but how do you delete a whole season, all at once???

5. Getting to Filter and Sort Order is convoluted!  Press Down Arrow once, then Up Arrow once???   And what if you've been looking at something way down on the list, nd you want to change the Filter?  You have to Up-Arrow all the way back up to the top of the list, then click Up Arrow one more time. That's a pain.  How about using the "Setup" button, or the Left Arrow button to take you directly to the list options?

6. Finally (to repeat,) it should save the Filter and Sort Order for next time.

WELCOME to the island of misfit toys! I wish you all the luck in the world having your dreams come true. Do I sound cynical? We are a great bunch of avid forum X1 users but have found that our wish lists seem to contain wanting broken things and bugs  fixed rather than  having new features.  I have had X1 since  day one and all in all I like it but useful things get taken away far too often for my taste. Once again...welcome and so glad you found this forum

Frequent Visitor

@TerriB wrote:

WELCOME to the island of misfit toys! I wish you all the luck in the world having your dreams come true. Do I sound cynical? We are a great bunch of avid forum X1 users but have found that our wish lists seem to contain wanting broken things and bugs  fixed rather than  having new features.  I have had X1 since  day one and all in all I like it but useful things get taken away far too often for my taste. Once again...welcome and so glad you found this forum

I seem to get the impression that Comcast isn't listening to its customers.

With all the ads I've been seeing for X1 recently, I had thought that Comcast were really proud of their system, and that they wanted their customers to be happy with it.

I'm a recent convert from DirecTV.  There are a lot of things I like about X1, but there are so many nits that make it harder to use than it should be.

My BIGGEST gripe is that there is NO WAY to schedule something to record if it is NOT in the schedule within the next two weeks.  I really want to record Planet Earth II on BBC America, but I cannot. It's scheduled for more than a month in the future.  This is NUTS.  Tivo has had the ability to record this for many years.  Even DIrecTV has it.

-

Most Valued Poster

My BIGGEST gripe is that there is NO WAY to schedule something to record if it is NOT in the schedule within the next two weeks.  I really want to record Planet Earth II on BBC America, but I cannot. It's scheduled for more than a month in the future.  This is NUTS.  Tivo has had the ability to record this for many years.  Even DIrecTV has it.

WoofGrrrr.....YEP....can only schedule out as far as the guide goes....2 weeks. Very annoying and when I see new shows/movies/ special tv events advertised I have to keep a list so I don't forget to record and one of them is Planet Earth II just like you mentioned.

Regular Visitor

Not sure about your other questions but on the guide, you can jump ahead by days (not just by hour). Not sure if we have the same remote (but I know each remote has this feature but the buttons may be different) but on my remote, there's a button with a red circle on it and another button with a blue square on it. Above those buttons is the word "Day). Then under "Day" but still above those buttons is a + and a - sign. If you go into the guide and then use those buttons, the guide will jump ahead or back by 24 hours. Your remote may be different so it may be different buttons but all the remotes do have this feature - you just have to figure out which buttons on your remote will do this. I am going to try to attach a picture to this reply of mine so maybe you can find those buttons on yours. Also, as far as pressing the channel, you can press, for example, the 2 button and then press your select button and it will go to that channel instead of bringing up all the channels that start with a 2.
IMG_1315.JPG
Expert

@Jese314 wrote:
Not sure about your other questions but on the guide, you can jump ahead by days (not just by hour). Not sure if we have the same remote (but I know each remote has this feature but the buttons may be different) but on my remote, there's a button with a red circle on it and another button with a blue square on it. Above those buttons is the word "Day). Then under "Day" but still above those buttons is a + and a - sign. If you go into the guide and then use those buttons, the guide will jump ahead or back by 24 hours. Your remote may be different so it may be different buttons but all the remotes do have this feature - you just have to figure out which buttons on your remote will do this. I am going to try to attach a picture to this reply of mine so maybe you can find those buttons on yours. Also, as far as pressing the channel, you can press, for example, the 2 button and then press your select button and it will go to that channel instead of bringing up all the channels that start with a 2.

do you have the X1 entertainment system (where you posted)? X1 uses a different remote and for example on the guide the screen will prompt a 'help message' to navigate by day press the "fast forward' button ()and fast rewind to go back a day). The X1 has an enter key not a 'select' key.

Frequent Visitor

Many TV channels scroll important info along the very bottom of the screen. e.g. scores of other games during sporting events, news flashes on the 24 hour news channels (MSNBC, FOX, CNN).

The DVR navigation graphics are right there on the bottom completely covering up all that important information. So let's say that I want to back up a program to see if the Mets or the Cubs just scored 2 runs, or if the Secy of Defense just announced that a U.S. bombing attack on North Korea at this time is a) unthinkable or 2) now happening.

If I try to back up the program to read the info, then the DVR controls hide the text the channels are scrolling. And after I click on reverse or pause then the DVR control icons stay there for several seconds as the text scrolls by completely unreadable.

Surely there should be an option to put the DVR navigation at EITHER the top or bottom of the screen, whichever place the user wants it to be!