Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Frequent Visitor

Re: Movie Descriptions

Before the Platform came out, Comcast did have a time signal on their cable boxes and I still miss that too.  Knowing the channel would be nice too, but less essential. The time signal that used to be on the boxes was more reliable even than the iphone time signal I always used it to set other clocks and watches by.

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

@ComcastTeds wrote:

There are a few features the have been requested in past forum discussions and we are evaluating the inclusion of these in future X1 DVR releases.  Here are a few that we are tracking.

• Ability to quickly navigate out in time in the on-screen program guide to more easily find programs to record.
  • Inform the customer of conflicts when setting a new series recording
  • Ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV on the Player Mini’s (non-DVR set-top box)
  • Better documentation on how features work.

Whoa..timeout!  It should not always be about new requests. What about the universally useful/beloved features we keep asking to be restored to the platform:

• Recording buffer
  • Real slo mo  forward and reverse
  • Frame by frame
  • And dare I mention ability to change font size and contrast
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

There are a few features the have been requested in past forum discussions and we are evaluating the inclusion of these in future X1 DVR releases.  Here are a few that we are tracking.

• Ability to quickly navigate out in time in the on-screen program guide to more easily find programs to record.
  • Inform the customer of conflicts when setting a new series recording
  • Ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV on the Player Mini’s (non-DVR set-top box)
  • Better documentation on how features work.

Whoa..timeout!  It should not always be about new requests. What about the universally useful/beloved features we keep asking to be restored to the platform:

• Recording buffer
  • Real slo mo  forward and reverse
  • Frame by frame
  • And dare I mention ability to change font size and contrast

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!

And, dare I say, that despite lots of posters' suggestions as to where and why these features disappeared, no Comcast employee has ever addressed these concerns on the forum! Man Mad

Frequent Visitor

Yes, what they said. Most worked on the old system, so the technology should be there. Heck even the code!

Comcast may have gotten too big to care anymore. 

Valued Contributor

@Grouchy1 wrote:

Yes, what they said. Most worked on the old system, so the technology should be there. Heck even the code!

While I agree that some or all of these features should be back. Don't assume it's easy and the code exists. The old system is probably written in an old language while the new stuff is probably in Java or some other leading edge language. As the features move from the box to the cloud the code probably has to be rewritten. That said, they have probably had plenty of time to get some or all of these features back by now if that is the case. 

Most Valued Poster

@Grouchy1 wrote:

All those features worked on the new X1 system but disappeared one by one over the last year or so. No warning, no nothing...just G O N E.  They gave us back a version of FF slo mo but its hardly slo compared to what we had before. The worst loss in my opinion was the recording buffer. I get angry every time I 'need' to use it and thats pretty often.

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@Grouchy1 wrote:

While I agree that some or all of these features should be back. Don't assume it's easy and the code exists. The old system is probably written in an old language while the new stuff is probably in Java or some other leading edge language. As the features move from the box to the cloud the code probably has to be rewritten. That said, they have probably had plenty of time to get some or all of these features back by now if that is the case. 

I understand what you are saying but I find it hard to believe that the code protocol could have changed so drastically in the last 8-12 months that they had to scrap some of the most popular features of X1. What old system? Those features all worked previously on X1 which I consider the 'new' system. If you mean the cloud being the new 'system' I take strong exception to Comcast having to dump some of the best stuff we had just to have the cloud. I think the cloud is way over rated and if it can't exist side by side with X1 features then the cloud is what needs to be re-coded. I don't think they have any intention of restoring what we lost. I have done lots of network design with programmers and they coded the features we  asked them for so its hard to believe that those super smart folks at Comcast couldn't figure out how to keep what we had and not just say "oh thats too hard to re-code so out it goes".

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I'd like to see the amount of the time jumped backwards increased when hitting play after fast forwarding. I always end of having to rewind more.
New Poster

X1 Feedback and enhancement requests

While the X1 platform is generally good, I have some complaints & requests I'd like to ask to be addressed...

Enhance / Fix the toggling between a paused live show and recordings via the "Last" watched functionality. The problem is that when your toggle to a recording and then back to the paused live show, it does not remain at the point the live show was paused...it jumps to the live / current moment. The Comcast DVR I had prior to the X1 system properly returned you to the paused state of the live show, so this is a loss of functionality.

Selected Guide View is not remembered. When pressing the Guide button twice it allows you to change the desired Guide View (All Channels, HD, Favorites, etc.). I usually set this to Favorites or HD, but it repeatedly reverts to  All Channels which is very frustrating. It should ALWAYS remember the last Guide View.

In the Guide, when using FF >> to advance by day, it often reverts to current day and time when it is not desired. This can occur when the channel number is entered to jump to a specific channel or when the Guide View (All Channels, HD, Favorites, etc.) is changed.

Need option to disable confirmation msg when scheduling or deleting recordings etc.

Need ability to jump to specific time/minute of show instead of having to FF through entire recording or OnDemand show. There are times when I've missed a specific moment in a show, have fallen asleep or gotten busy and missed the end of a show, or want to show a specific scene to someone, and it would be very useful to jump ahead to a specific HH:MM of a show instead of having to FF, especially if it's a multi-hour show.

Need ability to Rewind from Finished watching msg.

The Comcast DVR I had prior to the X1 system would detect if you pressed RW at the end of a show and allow you to rewind from there temporarily, so this is a loss of functionality.

Expert

Re: X1 Feedback and enhancement requests

@e_eq_mc2 wrote:

While the X1 platform is generally good, I have some complaints & requests I'd like to ask to be addressed...

You are not adddresing Comcast within these forums.  These forums have been designed as a peer-to-peer support area.  Comcast has published ways to contact them directly and they can be found at this link:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/We-Can-Help/m-p/2634629#U2634629

Enhance / Fix the toggling between a paused live show and recordings via the "Last" watched functionality. The problem is that when your toggle to a recording and then back to the paused live show, it does not remain at the point the live show was paused...it jumps to the live / current moment. The Comcast DVR I had prior to the X1 system properly returned you to the paused state of the live show, so this is a loss of functionality.

This ( TSB ) was removed from the X1 System a little over a year ago.

Selected Guide View is not remembered. When pressing the Guide button twice it allows you to change the desired Guide View (All Channels, HD, Favorites, etc.). I usually set this to Favorites or HD, but it repeatedly reverts to  All Channels which is very frustrating. It should ALWAYS remember the last Guide View.

The guide reverts back after approximately 90 minutes.  There is no setting that can be changed for this.

In the Guide, when using FF >> to advance by day, it often reverts to current day and time when it is not desired. This can occur when the channel number is entered to jump to a specific channel or when the Guide View (All Channels, HD, Favorites, etc.) is changed.

Yes, changing channel number will revert the guide back.  Scrolling up and down the channel lineup when viewing future programming does not do this.

Need option to disable confirmation msg when scheduling or deleting recordings etc.

I seriously do not believe this will ever change.

Need ability to jump to specific time/minute of show instead of having to FF through entire recording or OnDemand show. There are times when I've missed a specific moment in a show, have fallen asleep or gotten busy and missed the end of a show, or want to show a specific scene to someone, and it would be very useful to jump ahead to a specific HH:MM of a show instead of having to FF, especially if it's a multi-hour show.

While it may be useful, it could possibly introduce a multitude of bugs/troubles into the current platform.   For almost all remote control functions, you are not directly commmunicating with the box in the room, but the command is communicated up to the X1 network, which then transmits the command back to the individual box.

Need ability to Rewind from Finished watching msg.

The Comcast DVR I had prior to the X1 system would detect if you pressed RW at the end of a show and allow you to rewind from there temporarily, so this is a loss of functionality.

Functionality of Legacy cable, but not in the X1 platform.  You are not communicating directly with the DVR as you did with legacy.  You will also find that if you lost your cable feed in Legacy, you could still watch a recorded asset from your local DVR.  That is not the case with X1.  Lose your cable feed and your DVR is useless.

X1 is an advanced platform, but has been "dumbed" down in some repsects in order to keep it simple enough for all users to enjoy the experience.  It was not designed for the Advanced User, but for the masses.

You may look to other options, (TIVO) that may give you some of the features you are looking for as I do not belive any of these will be addressed in the forseeable future of X1.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Feature Request: Ability to quickly stop in-progress recording

On the old DVR, you could simply stop an in-progress recording.

For example, my mom often only records short segments of a show. She would click the record button to start recording, and then click the record button to stop after the segment of the show was over.

Now, to do this, she has to press Info and click "Cancel" (which is poorly worded since it implies that it might be deleted), and then choose to keep the recording. That's 6 button clicks.

The easy solution to this would be: When user clicks the Record button on an in-progress recording, in addition to the current options that appear about changing the recording, simply add a "Stop" button. Problem solved! That would only be 2 clicks if it's the first selected option (or 4 if it's the last option), and it would be way more discoverable too.

I know at least one other person asked about this on the forums. Is there a better place to make feature requests, or is this it?

Expert

Re: Feature Request: Ability to quickly stop in-progress recording

@andrewbares wrote:

On the old DVR, you could simply stop an in-progress recording.

For example, my mom often only records short segments of a show. She would click the record button to start recording, and then click the record button to stop after the segment of the show was over.

Now, to do this, she has to go to Saved recordings, select the in-progress recording, and click "Cancel" (which is poorly worded since it implies that it might be deleted).

The easy solution to this would be: When user clicks the Record button on an in-progress recording, in addition to the current options that appear about changing the recording, simply add a "Stop" button. Problem solved!

I know at least one other person asked about this on the forums. Is there a better place to make feature requests, or is this it?

To put it bluntly, this is it...  In the 2 years I have had X1 I have not seen any feature requests acted upon from within the forums.... in fact, I have seen many features removed with no explanation at all...  There is a shroud of secrecy when it comes to X1 and Comcast does not share much.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

X1 Pefornce Ideas Suggestions

Here are a list of tweaks that could make the X1 product reach its full potential and have the best user experience.
New Poster

Re: X1 Pefornce Ideas Suggestions

2 suggestions

1- a pay per channel option and eliminate the step style packages.  I'd pay $30 for the comedy channel and $0 for all of the fox/MSN/Univision channels.

2-A way to view channels that I actually get instead of every channel in the entire system, without having to manually favorite each of them checking to see if I get each individual channel.  That's just common sense, show me what I can actually watch without upgrading.

New Poster

Re: X1 Pefornce Ideas Suggestions

I would like to have folders/tags for recodings or a seoarate tab based on a chosen TV rating. I would like to easily sort children recordings and my recordings. My kids use the TV the most and I would like it to make it easier to find their shows.
New Poster

Please undo this change. this new topic was not a DVR request it was a new forums. The forums are a mess and this is not what I wanted. I have 20 ideas to share and within minutes you messed the whole topic up. You could of moved the comment but no reason to delete my new topic. A
Regular Contributor

Please for the love of babies please allow us to:

1) Direct access to the DVR recordings instead of hitting a common button that we have to scroll over to the recorded tv. This used to be a feature on every box up until the mighty X1 box came here. Very sad!

2) Please add the ability to pause Live TV on the companion boxes.

Official Employee

Those options are there.
1. If you have an XR11 remote that has voice commands, use the voice command to say recordings
2. There has been updated secondary boxes for quite awhile, that allow the ability to pause live tv. Stop in at your local service center and swap for either an XG2, Xi3 or Xid.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I don't use the voice remote nor do I feel like using this feature. It's just something that bothers me to say or hear someone saying commands when your relaxing.

I have a very nice programmable remote that does me perfectly. And like most all other remotes on the market all have a dedicated DVR button. Even Comcast had the dedicated DVR button before the X1 boxes and before the voice remote.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like to use my voice to control things. It can be very aggravating to say the least. Next thing you know I'm cussing at my cable box. LOL

Oh and thanks for the heads up in the new companion box. I'll go get one today.
Expert

@todd1010 wrote:
I don't use the voice remote nor do I feel like using this feature. It's just something that bothers me to say or hear someone saying commands when your relaxing.

I have a very nice programmable remote that does me perfectly. And like most all other remotes on the market all have a dedicated DVR button. Even Comcast had the dedicated DVR button before the X1 boxes and before the voice remote.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like to use my voice to control things. It can be very aggravating to say the least. Next thing you know I'm cussing at my cable box. LOL

Oh and thanks for the heads up in the new companion box. I'll go get one today.

you could use the smart device (apple phones/ipads, android phones/pads) and xfinity TV Remote app. The listings are very easy to read and you can use the apps built in DVD manager to select and begin watching recorded items and on-demand assets as well as regular channels. The app will allow you to select default 'location' (like living room) so it knows which set top box to send your requests.

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Those options are there.
1. If you have an XR11 remote that has voice commands, use the voice command to say recordings
2. There has been updated secondary boxes for quite awhile, that allow the ability to pause live tv. Stop in at your local service center and swap for either an XG2, Xi3 or Xid.

Comcast is one of the strangest companies I have ever encountered. I swear you guys study how not to service customers well. The ability to pause and rewind live TV on companion boxes has got to be one of the most requested features in the last three years. You must have announced this under Ayers Rock in the Australian Outback at 2 am one day. I read the the regular emails you send me, I am an "Xfinity Insider," I follow this thread, the monthly update thread, I get snail mail material from you, and this is the first reference I've seen to this capability being available. There are multiple threads on the "help and support forums" that still say your companion box cannot do this. No one has gone back to remove them or better yet announce that now you can pause and rewind. It's incredible!

Expert

@SFguy wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Those options are there.

Comcast is one of the strangest companies I have ever encountered. I swear you guys study how not to service customers well. The ability to pause and rewind live TV on companion boxes has got to be one of the most requested features in the last three years. You must have announced this under Ayers Rock in the Australian Outback at 2 am one day. I read the the regular emails you send me, I am an "Xfinity Insider," I follow this thread, the monthly update thread, I get snail mail material from you, and this is the first reference I've seen to this capability being available. There are multiple threads on the "help and support forums" that still say your companion box cannot do this. No one has gone back to remove them or better yet announce that now you can pause and rewind. It's incredible!

only the original x1 companion box does not have all the apps nor does it have ability to pause/rewind. There are many models available now that do have the features and customers and techs swap them out based on conversations on this forum's threads all the time. Not all equipment out there now can rewind/pause so they don't 'claim' that it does or that would be false advertising-- agree?

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@SFguy wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Those options are there.

only the original x1 companion box does not have all the apps nor does it have ability to pause/rewind. There are many models available now that do have the features and customers and techs swap them out based on conversations on this forum's threads all the time. Not all equipment out there now can rewind/pause so they don't 'claim' that it does or that would be false advertising-- agree?

Heaven forbid that a cable company would over promise and under deliver! That must never happen--agree? I did go over to the Comcast store and successfully swapped my old box for one that allows live TV pause and rewind. It took a while to get it working, but it now has been working well for several days.

It's not an either-or proposition to let customers know about the availability of newer products with conditions. Comcast does that all the time--some regions don't get the product until later, some products don't work with certain technologies. All you do is disclose that. But to have this available and not broadly alert customers who have been asking for the capability for years seems nuts to me. They add low priority bells and whistles and ignore things like restoring slow motion and frame-by-frame as well as the buffering issue for programs that you have begun watching and decide to record. Those requests are all over these forums. Yet when they finally respond to one of the higher priority requests, they don't tell many about it. Like I said, it's a strange company.

Regular Contributor

Can someone please provide a definite answer on the platform behavior with the new sattelite boxes?

Specifically, I'm wondering what happens when the number of satellites + scheduled recordings exceeds the number of tuners available, since I've been told the main DVR has 5 available tuners, and each of the new satellite boxes that has rewind capability takes up one of those.

Do recordings get cancelled, do satellite boxes automatically switch channels when a recording starts, are satellite boxes stuck on the channel with a recording, can I got to a different satellite box and change it to a channel that is recording, so that I can go back to the satellite that I'm watching, and free it up to change to a different channel, etc....

Official Employee

@tctc wrote:

Can someone please provide a definite answer on the platform behavior with the new sattelite boxes?

Specifically, I'm wondering what happens when the number of satellites + scheduled recordings exceeds the number of tuners available, since I've been told the main DVR has 5 available tuners, and each of the new satellite boxes that has rewind capability takes up one of those.

Do recordings get cancelled, do satellite boxes automatically switch channels when a recording starts, are satellite boxes stuck on the channel with a recording, can I got to a different satellite box and change it to a channel that is recording, so that I can go back to the satellite that I'm watching, and free it up to change to a different channel, etc....

If you get to max recordings, the secondary boxes will only be able to watch a recording or the channel it is on. If you try to change the channel at max recordings, you will get a message to either cancel recording or not to change channels.  You don't have that issue, your xi3 and XiD boxes are taking their tuner from the XG2 ( it has 4 tuners) not from the DVR. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@tctc wrote:

If you get to max recordings, the secondary boxes will only be able to watch a recording or the channel it is on. If you try to change the channel at max recordings, you will get a message to either cancel recording or not to change channels.  You don't have that issue, your xi3 and XiD boxes are taking their tuner from the XG2 ( it has 4 tuners) not from the DVR. 

Awesome, thanks!

Expert

there is no need now to use tuners from the DVR, just get appropriate number of xg2 (each has 4 tuners). That leaves all the DVR tuners to use to record as needed.

Most Valued Poster

For two people one DVR is plenty and we use all tuners most of the time. Work and sleep schedules ! Goodness knows we spend enough as it is for X1
Regular Contributor

Hi Rustyben, just curious, can you get as many of the xg2s as you need without charge in your area?   Thanks.

@Rustyben wrote:

there is no need now to use tuners from the DVR, just get appropriate number of xg2 (each has 4 tuners). That leaves all the DVR tuners to use to record as needed.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben, just curious, can you get as many of the xg2s as you need without charge in your area?   Thanks.

@Rustyben wrote:

I only have 3 DVRs and 2 DTAs no xg2 nor xi3/Ds. there would not be a need for more than a ratio of xg2 + max 3 xi3/d's since the xg3 has 3 extra tuners to loan to the xi3/Ds. if you had 5 xi3/Ds then you'd need 2 xg2s and then your DVR tuners would not be needed. apparently the firmware is set to use the xg2 tuners if available unless not available then they use the xg1 (DVR) tuners.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I only have 3 DVRs and 2 DTAs no xg2 nor xi3/Ds. there would not be a need for more than a ratio of xg2 + max 3 xi3/d's since the xg3 has 3 extra tuners to loan to the xi3/Ds. if you had 5 xi3/Ds then you'd need 2 xg2s and then your DVR tuners would not be needed. apparently the firmware is set to use the xg2 tuners if available unless not available then they use the xg1 (DVR) tuners.

I was wondering about getting charged for having an xg2 (instead of a second xg1).

I was told by one tech (who said the xg2 had 2 tuners) that the tuners were automatically enabled and free of charge.  I was told by another, who said the xg2 has 4 tuners, that the tuners are not enabled unless you pay for them, the same as if you get and pay for a second xg1.

(Some experimentation has shown you are correct, the xg2 has 3 extra tuners.)

Official Employee

XG2, Xi3, XiD, and RNG150 are all the same price. As soon as the XG2 is activated on your account, all tuners are available.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
XG2, Xi3, XiD, and RNG150 are all the same price. As soon as the XG2 is activated on your account, all tuners are available.

Thanks Andrew, further clarification would help me a lot, likely many others as well.  (I did try to find this info online, but no luck.)

I'll take a shot at it and maybe you can correct my errors...

1 XG1 and 2-3 outlets are included in the HD Complete XF package.  Additional outlet is $9.95 per month.

I had 1 XG1 with 4 RNG150, so was paying +$9.95 per month (for the 4th outlet/RNG150).

Based on your comment that XG2 is the same cost as the other 3, I assume I can change to -

1 XG1, 1 XG2, and 3 RNG150 (or 3 of the Xi3 or XiD) and will still pay the same base +$9.95 per month, so no change in my bill.  Correct?

Changing to 2 XG1 with 3 RNG150 would cost ?? per month?  (assuming an extra charge for the extra DVR, which would provide more storage)

(And to be clear, would that charge be instead of, or in addition to the $9.95 per month.)

XG1 = main DVR, provides storage and 5? tuners  (monthly charge to have more than 1, more than 1 only available in some areas?)

RNG 150 = satellite box with no buffer/rewind, no tuner, but does not use up a tuner

XG2 = satellite DVR with 4 tuners, no additional storage  (no additional monthly charge)

Xi3 = satellite box with buffer/rewind, uses a tuner from XG1 or XG2 (no additional monthly charge)

XiD = satellite box with buffer/rewind, uses a tuner from XG1 or XG2 (no additional monthly charge)

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks Andrew, further clarification would help me a lot, likely many others as well.  (I did try to find this info online, but no luck.)

1 XG1 and 2-3 outlets are included in the HD Complete XF package.  Additional outlet is $9.95 per month.

I had 1 XG1 with 4 RNG150, so was paying +$9.95 per month (for the 4th outlet/RNG150).

Based on your comment that XG2 is the same cost as the other 3, I assume I can change to -

1 XG1, 1 XG2, and 3 RNG150 (or 3 of the Xi3 or XiD) and will still pay the same base +$9.95 per month, so no change in my bill.  Correct?

Changing to 2 XG1 with 3 RNG150 would cost ?? per month?  (assuming an extra charge for the extra DVR, which would provide more storage)

(And to be clear, would that charge be instead of, or in addition to the $9.95 per month.)

XG1 = main DVR, provides storage and 5? tuners  (monthly charge to have more than 1, more than 1 only available in some areas?)

RNG 150 = satellite box with no buffer/rewind, no tuner, but does not use up a tuner

XG2 = satellite DVR with 4 tuners, no additional storage  (no additional monthly charge)

Xi3 = satellite box with buffer/rewind, uses a tuner from XG1 or XG2 (no additional monthly charge)

XiD = satellite box with buffer/rewind, uses a tuner from XG1 or XG2 (no additional monthly charge)

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I just changed from 1 XG1 + 2 RNG 150's to 2 XG1's + 1 XG2 and my bill went up $29.99 for the 2nd XG1 (A DVR box).  The XG2 is included in the package, as would 2 more if I needed them.

With my setup, the XG2 uses 1 tuner from one of the XG1's and I can record 11 shows at once.  The XG1's I have are XG1-P, 6 tuner Pace models.  The "so called" 4 tuners on the XG2 have no effect on how many recordings I can have at once.

Official Employee

You aren't adding or subtracting anything, so it should stay the same price. You will have to check with customer service about what would happen to your package since you are adding additional equipment ( if you add a DVR).

Regular Contributor

@jwmccnn wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I just changed from 1 XG1 + 2 RNG 150's to 2 XG1's + 1 XG2 and my bill went up $29.99 for the 2nd XG1 (A DVR box).  The XG2 is included in the package, as would 2 more if I needed them.

With my setup, the XG2 uses 1 tuner from one of the XG1's and I can record 11 shows at once.  The XG1's I have are XG1-P, 6 tuner Pace models.  The "so called" 4 tuners on the XG2 have no effect on how many recordings I can have at once.

Thanks, that's great info.

Sounds like adding the extra XG1 might cost me 29.99 per month, or it could cost me 29.99 on top of the 9.95 per month, since I have one too many "outlets".

I don't think your XG2 will use a tuner from the XG1s (even if it doesn't provide any extra recording potential).

I would think you have the 6+6+1 tuners usable, and you could watch 3 different shows and record 10 shows.

I get the impression that in my area, only 5 of the 6 XG1 tuners are enabled (or maybe I have a different model of XG1), but I'm not sure about that.

Valued Contributor

I can max out at 11 recordings at once.  Each box has 6 tuners.  Once I get to 11 recordings at once I need to either watch one of the channels I am recording or watch a recording. I can watch any channel on the XG2 box while this is going on, therefore, I believe, that the XG2 is constantly using one of the XG1's tuners.  I don't think the 4 tuners on the XG2 box do anything except allow you to FF, RW, Pause and so on, if you use it in conjunction with a NON DVR main box.

Also, there are different models that have 5 tuners.  I would request a 6 tuner model at your local service center. Although the customer servcice rep at the service center may not know anything about what you are talking about, I had to explain the whole thing to mine.  She brought out several different boxes and I had to point to which one I needed.  Lack of training or understanding there.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@jwmccnn wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds like adding the extra XG1 might cost me 29.99 per month, or it could cost me 29.99 on top of the 9.95 per month, since I have one too many "outlets".

I don't think your XG2 will use a tuner from the XG1s (even if it doesn't provide any extra recording potential).

I would think you have the 6+6+1 tuners usable, and you could watch 3 different shows and record 10 shows.

I get the impression that in my area, only 5 of the 6 XG1 tuners are enabled (or maybe I have a different model of XG1), but I'm not sure about that.

only the very first version of the pace xg1 dvr (green circle and blue circle versions) can't be updated to use all 6 tuners possible on the cablecard that is installed in the xg1. 

Each xg1 can record 6 channels (not leaving one for viewing). have 2 xg1s then can record 12 at one time. this sounds right but remember when you extend consecutive running shows by a minute then a different tuner must be used to record the next show. this happens more than you might think it does. also with 2 dvrs you have 2x500gb = 1 TB of local and the same shows are recorded both in the home and on the cloud DVR (95%+ of comcast service footprint has cloud DVR now, and it is expanding). 

satellite units that do not have a tuner (xi3, xiD) use a tuner, first order is to use one from an xg2 (had 4 tuners, the xg2 uses one for live and can loan out 3 to xi3 and xiD units), but if not available will get a tuner if available from an xg1 DVR.

here all satellite set top boxes are $9.95/month and DVR 19.95/month. Plans include some or all of the equipment. 

If you never had the $9.95/month charge for HD and some/all of your equipment is covered in a package so no monthly charge, then that will be a new charge to your bill. the extra DVR ($20) and HD technology fee ($10) is probably the source of the increase. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@jwmccnn wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks!

only the very first version of the pace xg1 dvr (green circle and blue circle versions) can't be updated to use all 6 tuners possible on the cablecard that is installed in the xg1. 

Each xg1 can record 6 channels (not leaving one for viewing). have 2 xg1s then can record 12 at one time. this sounds right but remember when you extend consecutive running shows by a minute then a different tuner must be used to record the next show. this happens more than you might think it does. also with 2 dvrs you have 2x500gb = 1 TB of local and the same shows are recorded both in the home and on the cloud DVR (95%+ of comcast service footprint has cloud DVR now, and it is expanding). 

satellite units that do not have a tuner (xi3, xiD) use a tuner, first order is to use one from an xg2 (had 4 tuners, the xg2 uses one for live and can loan out 3 to xi3 and xiD units), but if not available will get a tuner if available from an xg1 DVR.

here all satellite set top boxes are $9.95/month and DVR 19.95/month. Plans include some or all of the equipment. 

If you never had the $9.95/month charge for HD and some/all of your equipment is covered in a package so no monthly charge, then that will be a new charge to your bill. the extra DVR ($20) and HD technology fee ($10) is probably the source of the increase. 

Awesome info, thanks!

Do you know the difference between xi3 and xiD?  I'm not sure which I have or if there is any effective difference.

And, apologies as this has likely been asked and answered and may be slightly off topic, but do you know where "recently deleted" content resides, and if it takes up part of 500GB?   Trying to decide if I should pay for an extra xg1 for the extra storage, I usually stay between 40-60%, but sometimes have a lot in recently deleted.

I had an issue in the past where some recording disappeared and tech support has been unable to determine why.  I theorize that it's some combination of deleted recordings, and unsuccessfully deleted recordings that are "stuck" in my cloud, and are then counting against my storage, and then triggered a auto-deletion of older content.

(If DVR shows 60% and online/cloud goes over 100%, does something get deleted from the physical HD?  Wouldn't think so, but I can't think of any other reason why it happened to me.)

Official Employee

The only difference between Xi3 and XiD is Xi3's output is HDMI only.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks

And I just found this list of info on all the equipment...

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Valued Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, can you verify that a system that has 1 XG1 and 2 XG2 will still be able to record 6 shows at once (assuming the XG1 is a 6 tuner box and not a 5) and the tuners of the XG2 boxes will not borrow from the XG1??

Official Employee

Jwmccnn, yes I can.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@jwmccnn wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks!

Awesome info, thanks!

Do you know the difference between xi3 and xiD?  I'm not sure which I have or if there is any effective difference.

And, apologies as this has likely been asked and answered and may be slightly off topic, but do you know where "recently deleted" content resides, and if it takes up part of 500GB?   Trying to decide if I should pay for an extra xg1 for the extra storage, I usually stay between 40-60%, but sometimes have a lot in recently deleted.

I had an issue in the past where some recording disappeared and tech support has been unable to determine why.  I theorize that it's some combination of deleted recordings, and unsuccessfully deleted recordings that are "stuck" in my cloud, and are then counting against my storage, and then triggered a auto-deletion of older content.

(If DVR shows 60% and online/cloud goes over 100%, does something get deleted from the physical HD?  Wouldn't think so, but I can't think of any other reason why it happened to me.)

recently deleted that is available to resume is in 'a trash folder' and is not counted in your storage space as 'in use' in the percentage. When room is needed the items deleted longest ago are removed to make space first.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks

And I just found this list of info on all the equipment...

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

TCTC,  I went to the link you provided but it went to the Xfinity home page. Clicked on TV topic and the page was not available. Where did you do once you got to the home page to find that info on the hub/boxes? I really would like to understand more about this..thanks. We only have one DVR but that may change.

Contributor

The link worked for me. Try it again.
Most Valued Poster

@clay5523 wrote:

Did you perform a magic trick for me?  I had tried it more than once and NOW it works..thanks so much

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@clay5523 wrote:

Did you perform a magic trick for me?  I had tried it more than once and NOW it works..thanks so much

I have noticed many times that the Xfinity site is very glitchy.  Sometimes you'll click a link and you'll get some sort of error message, but then it will wourk a couple minutes later.

Valued Contributor

@CoreyD wrote:

I have noticed many times that the Xfinity site is very glitchy.  Sometimes you'll click a link and you'll get some sort of error message, but then it will wourk a couple minutes later.

Kind of like the X1 system.... :-) 

Regular Contributor

@CoreyD wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@clay5523 wrote:

Over maybe the last month I have had similar issues, usually the page just not loading at all, then some time later it's back.

Hah, yes m45warrior1, very similar, maybe the message boards were recently moved to the X1 server or something...