Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Not sure as to what has been previously posted, tried to read through the 400 posts, but got a little numb in the brain from it.  I would like to be able to record a series on a specific channel at a specific time.  I spend so much time deleting unwanted episodes of shows.  I put HD preferred and it still records in SD also.  I can no longer record my vice show, TMZ, because it comes on so often and on so many channels.  That's 6 recordings a day just for that show.  I doesn't do a very good job of listing new vs. repeat shows either.  It will try to record syndicated shows when they run a marathon.  This causes the DVR to fill up quickly.  The time it takes to delete scheduled recordings takes too long as well as trying to go through the mass amounts of a series recording to determine which is a repeat and which is a new episode.  It is almost useless at this point!!!

Diamond Problem Solver

Not sure as to what has been previously posted, tried to read through the 400 posts, but got a little numb in the brain from it. I would like to be able to record a series on a specific channel at a specific time. I spend so much time deleting unwanted episodes of shows. I put HD preferred and it still records in SD also. I can no longer record my vice show, TMZ, because it comes on so often and on so many channels. That's 6 recordings a day just for that show. I doesn't do a very good job of listing new vs. repeat shows either. It will try to record syndicated shows when they run a marathon. This causes the DVR to fill up quickly. The time it takes to delete scheduled recordings takes too long as well as trying to go through the mass amounts of a series recording to determine which is a repeat and which is a new episode. It is almost useless at this point!!!

Instead of search, use the guide to find what you want to record and it gives you the option of this channel only.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

well that helps with one of the issues.  Now to stop it from recording multiple times!

Most Valued Poster

@onephatguy wrote:

well that helps with one of the issues.  Now to stop it from recording multiple times!

I have discovered that FX network is the culprit with us. All the shows we record 'new episodes only' have had their season finales but continue to record every single time any of the this season's episodes are on. This is not Comcast's fault in my opinion. Somehow FX has 'flagged' shows as new even though the info on screen does not say new. Its very annoying of course . I have been cancelling them one at a time because I don't want to lose my recordings settings that will automatically start recording when the new seasons start but if thie continues I will have to cancel the future recordings.

New Poster

Any update on this request?? The favorites button was great for the kids.
Clicking through the guide is not doable for little kids. On the old box she could turn on the TV then just click throughout the Favorites with one button.

At least let me map the D button to this or something similar
New Poster

In the post above I was talking about the missing Favorites button.
(sorry, I thought the reply would bring in the post I was replying to as a quote)

On another topic... The biggest miss is that my XR2 remote can not control my Sony soundbar. So frustrating...the old remotes had the Aux feature.
Bring back the aux control please!
Problem Solver

@Scammper wrote:
In the post above I was talking about the missing Favorites button.
(sorry, I thought the reply would bring in the post I was replying to as a quote)

On another topic... The biggest miss is that my XR2 remote can not control my Sony soundbar. So frustrating...the old remotes had the Aux feature.
Bring back the aux control please!
Here is A link to my thread! if you scroll down a bit you will find this months updates. They have added something for favorites, but not a clear description on the matter!
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/APOLLO-13-USED-DUCT-TAPE/td-p/2287065
New Poster

You have touched on only a FEW of the huge lapses in X1 ..

Since installing 2 systems in my home with X1-HD boxes, I see your issues in addition to :

- Reboots of both boxes EVERY night !

- Guide settings going stale and resetting, even while watching TV and selecting the guide as "Favorites",

reverts back to ALL channels within ? 30-60-90 minutes.. randomly.

- Many times my Favorites will go "down" and not be accessible for hours.

- Your "last" list will randomly disappear, usually if/when the box is rebooted (nightly).

- When viewing the "Guide", the icons for channels sometimes take minutes to load, and other times

never load completely.. leaving us to GUESS what channel # 123 actually is..

- When viewing on-demand, several times I have had "Content Not Available.. try back later or report to Admin" messages !?

This even happened after viewing and trying to re-view another episode that was listed prior !?

- Since multiple X1 boxes in a home need to "sync" with one-another, sometimes the one works fine, while the other 

can't list even the Channel Guide at all.. it is BLANK and hangs there forever.

- Recorded DVR shows are NO LONGER available if your cable or internet service goes out.. since ALL shows are now stored on a Comcast computer (cloud) and not in your home on your DVR ! 

- Even with full high-speed internet and wireless throughout my home, I still can only view cable TV on my PC through

the comcast "Live TV" link on their web page (Adobe Flash player) and not in a separate window, or pop-up as

sling-box offers (even inside my own home .. not across the internet.. should work from cable box over local network to my PC !?)

- The Guide no longer color codes the channel names / types as previously sped up visually identifying sports vs. movie channels vs. news, etc..

- The search does not offer a simple / fast way to go directly to certain show lists (other than crappy number typing hit/miss method), let alone offer a simple advanced search like any computer/tivo offers .. select checkboxes for show/movie categories.. keyword.. etc.  But instead, requires you to visually go through aweful "partial" suggested lists of movies with PAID always first, or use the random number typing remote search (which has missed shows that exist many times!)

..   and on.. and on.. 

If you hear when/how to get RFE's submitted, or track future updates, .. let us all know.

Regular Contributor

And bring back the input key. It is so frustrating to have to keep another remote around just to change the input to my blue-ray player or wii-u....

BRAD BORTNER
bradbort@aol.com
Silver Problem Solver

The newest remote, XR11, does NOT have an input key.  That is the remote that will be the new standard with the new hardware seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNomkyoaE

The only option we will have is to buy a third-party remote that has support for mutliple inputs.  I use the Harmony 650 with my av receiver, TV, BD player, and PS/3.  The 650 is limited in the number of inputs it supports.

I just wish Onkyo (my receiver) would support the X1 with their remote.  Then I would have the best of all worlds.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

The newest remote, XR11, does NOT have an input key.  That is the remote that will be the new standard with the new hardware seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNomkyoaE.

That contradicts the description at http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote/detail.php?p=628532&v=comcast_accessories

Silver Problem Solver

There is a TV Input button at the bottom right.  The user manual says it changes to the "next available input on your TV".

That doesn't help me because I want the remote to slelect the next available on my A/V receiver, instead.

Maybe some people will find it usefull.

@jehill wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNomkyoaE.

That contradicts the description at http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote/detail.php?p=628532&v=comcast_accessories

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

There is a TV Input button at the bottom right.  The user manual says it changes to the "next available input on your TV".

That doesn't help me because I want the remote to slelect the next available on my A/V receiver, instead.

I have yet to see a Comcast remote that allows you to use the Input key for anything but the TV.

Silver Problem Solver

I thought the old silver remotes had multiple input keys.  Are you saying they didn't work?

@jehill wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I have yet to see a Comcast remote that allows you to use the Input key for anything but the TV.

Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I thought the old silver remotes had multiple input keys.  Are you saying they didn't work? 

There was only one Input button.  By multiple input keys, do you mean the ability of the one Input key to control the inputs to the selected device, i/e TV, Cable, Aux?

In short, all you could change with the Input button was the TV input.  That was regardless of what component was selected.

Silver Problem Solver

The silver remotes have multiple input keys.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/controlling-other-equipment-with-your-remote-c...

Contributor

All those do are control the basic functions of the device. The actual input button only works for the TV.

Regular Contributor

The remote with the input key should have been standard with the X1 box. It's lack was one reason I had to go out and buy a logitech harmony 650. It is crazy making that comcast now wants to charge people more for functionality that should have been included to begin with.
Silver Problem Solver

I have all the remotes and a Harmony 650.  The 650 is the only one that can control the inputs on my A/V receiver.

Even the voice-controlled remote (XR11) can't control the inputs.

I don't think a remote like the 650 will be offered from Comcast.  Ever.

Regular Contributor

I want my DVR to act like a DVR, not a glorified XOD.

Therefore,

1. I want to be able to make manual recordings, easily. I want to set start and stop times, not being restrained by artificial 30 min, 1 hour, 1 1/2 hour blah blah. I want to make the manual recordings repeating.  If I want to record CBS from 9 to 12 every Sunday night because I'm not sure when my shows will be on after the football game, I should be able to, without resetting it every week.

2. I want to be able to extend a show for any amount of time.  The fact that it's restricted is ridiculous.  The fact you have different rules for TV Shows and Sports is double ridiculous. You can extend a show 1,3, or 5 minutes only.  You can extend a sport 30/60/90/120 and so on.

3. Ideally I could set a show to always start a few minutes late.  You still don't handle the overlapping of shows well and usually you can loose the first few minutes of show, not the last.

4. I want slow motion back.  Again has existed since the beginning of recording. I want to be able to have it back for dvr and live tv, and we never had it for XOD, but should have.  I can't possibly believe the advertisers (your main customers) have a complaint about us watching their ads in slow mo.  Forward and back.

5. I want the original air date back in the first description of the show.  Not after digging around. Now you get it if you go into movie info or sometimes for a series if you go into the episodes list and hit info once, not twice.  You've had this capability for years, why are you hiding it now.

6. Setting XOD to only move 10minutes at a time isn't stopping anyone from doing anything other than watch it. There are reasons TV viewship is decreasing and trying to shove things down people's throats when they grew not having to deal with it is probably a big reason.

7. Start dong regression testing so you upgrades don't break things.  If you have to hire more QA engineers, do it!

Expert

@snowrain wrote:

I want my DVR to act like a DVR, not a glorified XOD.  DVRs are not VCRs. many more options.

Therefore,

1. I want to be able to make manual recordings, easily. I want to set start and stop times, not being restrained by artificial 30 min, 1 hour, 1 1/2 hour blah blah. I want to make the manual recordings repeating.  If I want to record CBS from 9 to 12 every Sunday night because I'm not sure when my shows will be on after the football game, I should be able to, without resetting it every week. Covered in many threads (manual recording guide>go to channel>move left, OK on channel. record up to 7 hours max, you pick time length.

2. I want to be able to extend a show for any amount of time.  The fact that it's restricted is ridiculous.  The fact you have different rules for TV Shows and Sports is double ridiculous. You can extend a show 1,3, or 5 minutes only.  You can extend a sport 30/60/90/120 and so on. go to http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/dvr  >> select scheduled recordings and change record times etc. OR use a smartphone and Xfinity TV Remote to modify recordings. remember max time is 7 hours per recording, a file size limit for firmware/harddrive.

3. Ideally I could set a show to always start a few minutes late.  You still don't handle the overlapping of shows well and usually you can loose the first few minutes of show, not the last. I use 3 DVRs so don't have that issue. Have asked to be able to set a DVR time offset (to have DVR be set to up to one minute 'slow' to start a bit later and therefore end a bit later.

4. I want slow motion back.  Again has existed since the beginning of recording. I want to be able to have it back for dvr and live tv, and we never had it for XOD, but should have.  I can't possibly believe the advertisers (your main customers) have a complaint about us watching their ads in slow mo.  Forward and back. They are working on it and hopefully also to get frame advance back for frame-by-frame.

5. I want the original air date back in the first description of the show.  Not after digging around. Now you get it if you go into movie info or sometimes for a series if you go into the episodes list and hit info once, not twice.  You've had this capability for years, why are you hiding it now. I'd add to this want list that smart phone listings should include year and episode number. It is on most programs if supplier has the info.

6. Setting XOD to only move 10minutes at a time isn't stopping anyone from doing anything other than watch it. There are reasons TV viewship is decreasing and trying to shove things down people's throats when they grew not having to deal with it is probably a big reason. remember you can jog ahead and then rewind to where you want to view.

7. Start dong regression testing so you upgrades don't break things.  If you have to hire more QA engineers, do it! I like to see movement one of the great features of X1 is that it appears to be HTML5 based so changes can be and are made quickly.

answered in green above.

cheers

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Rusty please don't degrade what the OP is posting here. THEY WANT A TRADITIONAL DVR! WITH MORE TUNERS! like most of us Who signed up for x1 , we did'nt think we would have to give blood type to just set something to record!

Expert

@gotpizza wrote:

Rusty please don't degrade what the OP is posting here. THEY WANT A TRADITIONAL DVR! WITH MORE TUNERS! like most of us Who signed up for x1 , we did'nt think we would have to give blood type to just set something to record!

not degrading in any way. In fact agreeing.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Rusty there are people like myself who can care less about cloud and smartphone streaming. we just want a great dvr! This thread states dvr feature request. That is what they are doing requesting stuff, it is normal to rant a bit in this thread!

It's all good rusty! No hard feelings!

Problem Solver
Moved:

X1 - DVR recording glitch

Please don't hijack a thread. At any time feel free to start your own thread. Thank you.

New Poster

1) Can we keep our recordings for more than a year?  I used to be able to keep things until I deleted.

2) Search and auto-record by name (name of actor, director, band, keyword, etc.)

New Poster

1) Can we keep our recordings for more than a year?  I used to be able to keep things until I deleted.

2) Search and auto-record by name (name of actor, director, band, keyword, etc.)

Tags (2)
Expert

@Kate773 wrote:

we and they don't seem to yet know. my guess is locally you can keep it if box is under some % say 70% and set to keep a year. Hopefully a comcast tech with access to the engineering team can get an answer and post to us here.

Most Valued Poster

@Kate773 wrote:

I  kept recordings a year on legacy DVR and have some on the X1 DVR that are now almost 10 months old. My DVR is always under 50% unless its right after vacation...lol.

I strongly echo needing  expanded search options.

Regular Contributor

Please for the love of everyone here....give us DIRECT access to our MyDVR recordings instead of scrolling through the menu. 

Same goes for On Demand. 

Contributor

When I hit the red button to record a show, I don't need to see a message about how I can view the recording on the cloud or whatever the message is - that stays on the screen for far too long..

Expert

@Theregular wrote:

When I hit the red button to record a show, I don't need to see a message about how I can view the recording on the cloud or whatever the message is - that stays on the screen for far too long..

i'd like them to move the 'box' to the bottom and have option to select (if fast enough) options. 

i 'hate' the huge play pause icons in center of the screen that seem to imply we are short bus level customers.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Theregular wrote:

i'd like them to move the 'box' to the bottom and have option to select (if fast enough) options. 

i 'hate' the huge play pause icons in center of the screen that seem to imply we are short bus level customers.

How ironic that they give us HUGE icons and SMALL font

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Theregular wrote:

LOL... haven't followed the forum in weeks and see that TerriB hasn't changed! 

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Theregular wrote:

I don't fuss like I used to about the font but sometimes just have to comment. If your comment is mean spirited I forgive you. I thought these forums were for us to express ourselves, help each other and input anyone who will listen about what we don't like or would like changed, added,etc.  Guess I was all wrong so thanks for straightening me out.

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Theregular wrote:

I don't fuss like I used to about the font but sometimes just have to comment. If your comment is mean spirited I forgive you. I thought these forums were for us to express ourselves, help each other and input anyone who will listen about what we don't like or would like changed, added,etc.  Guess I was all wrong so thanks for straightening me out.

Far from mean spirited... note the LOL! Just thought it was cute the first post I see in weeks was from you about fonts.

Regular Contributor

Just bought a new Amazon FireStick. Went to connect to Showtime Anywhere which requires service verification, and every friggigin cable provider I could think of supports this device, EXCEPT Comcast xFinity. Wonderful....

Regular Visitor

Having been a long time Dish customer with the Hopper system since coming out, my family and I have noticed a few things that really could use some attention by Comcast to improve functionality of the X1 system.

The biggest anoying issue is channel navigation on the guide. This was one reason we dropped comcast a few years back, along with lack of anyroom dvr and other functions. - Specifically - the user experience when changing to a HD channel.

With Comcast, even when enabling the Autoswicth to HD channel, the problem is that channel number sequences dont follow the same when changing to the HD version. for example: You Select chanel 4 - CW from the Guide, the Channel swicthes to the HD equivalent. Thats Great. The problem is after this. Because you now are at channel 400 and something, you hit Guide to look next to CW for ABC and find its nowhere to be seen, because it maybe 6, 10 or 20 channels up or down. There is NO logic to chanel listsing in HD, they have probably emerged as HD versions were added over time, rather than reserving large blocks like Satellite and other providers have done. The result is a very unintuiative channel Guide. Movie or premiuem networks, mixed in with major networks.

Dish other the other hand has a feature that allows for hiding the HD channel. what this does is to select HD in the background if available, but only present the same guide and channel line up to the user. rather than hoping around. Even if it wasnt hidden, the channles follow the same sequence in a higher number range for HD. AT&T Uverse, the same, other providers the same.

This is the single biggest user experience issue that I cannot beleive has not yet been addressed. With all the new features of the X1, it seems to try and cover up the failings of the foundational channel guide setup.

PLEASE, PLEASE give us a feature that allows us to Hide HD channels and follow the standard channel line up sequence, instead of making us jump all over the place. Its a lot easier to remebr rough ranges for movies, major networks, sports etc, and just know because we have set to autoswicth to HD in the background, it will do it. but Hide the HD channel number.

Otherwise re-order them! make the HD channle line up consistent with NON HD.

One other thing - Allow live TV streaming from channels on our X1 systems. As a business traveler, I found this invaluable for my porevious Dish system, and Im fighting the urge to not change back. Holding out for Cloud DVR to be enabled in Florida so I can at least access DVR recordings again!  Enabling live TV access to our DVR boxes should be easy to do. there are 3rd party devices we can use to do this, but shouldnt have to.

Thank you!!

Expert

toolman2015 wrote: <snip>

I'm wondering if you have the 'extra' 1000 (4 digit channels duplicated to 1000 number series) that are all HD only channels. If so hit the Guide button, type in 1000 and hit the OK button. You may not have that channel, but when you hit enter the first channel will be listed in the guide (now you can type that or any other to see the guide 4 numbered chans. then you can use page up/down and see only HD channels in effect 'hiding' non-HD channels.

Regular Visitor

It would be nice when you select Favorites for your guide it stay on Favorites until you deselect it.

Expert

@MikeHemp wrote:

It would be nice when you select Favorites for your guide it stay on Favorites until you deselect it.

from your lips to comcast's ears! (I totally agree)

Regular Visitor

as long as it took them to give us the ability to jump ahead a day at a time on the guide I wont be holding my breath here

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

as long as it took them to give us the ability to jump ahead a day at a time on the guide I wont be holding my breath here

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

The jump on the guide has always been there..there are a ton of hidden features that exsist that are not discussed. Like if you hook a wireless keyboard up to the box there many shortcuts that you could use. Also if you get a xr11 remote when they become available you could just tell the box whatever you want it to do..
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately no. This would help, if the channel line up was duplicated in the same sequence but add 1000 or something to list on HD, instead of the jumbled sequence we see right now.

Contributor

Who wants to use a wireless keyboard to operate the TV.
Expert

@clay5523 wrote:

a remote 'is' a wireless keyboard (just limited functions and keys).

Most Valued Poster

@clay5523 wrote:
----
check it out here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/How-to-use-wireless-keyboard-mouse-on-x1/td-p/2313111

Problem Solver

I concur the channel line up is junk. They need to a way to eliminate the sd channels out of it..
Contributor

Thanks TerriB. What a clunky way to operate a TV. I have a URC MX-6000 that controls it just fine. The guide really needs some help.