Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

I'd like to see the ability to record programs with more than 50% of the hdd full!

New Poster

I'm not sure if anyone has posted on this lately, but I've noticed that some of the station logos are almost unreadable when they appear next to their channel numbers.  One example of this is with Comcast SportsNet.  I know it's a small thing, but that kind of inconsistency is really annoying to me.  I'm a software engineer, so I know from experience that designing the station logos to appear clearly in all areas of the user interface isn't overly complicated.

Problem Solver

@Bytefyre531 wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted on this lately, but I've noticed that some of the station logos are almost unreadable when they appear next to their channel numbers.  One example of this is with Comcast SportsNet.  I know it's a small thing, but that kind of inconsistency is really annoying to me.  I'm a software engineer, so I know from experience that designing the station logos to appear clearly in all areas of the user interface isn't overly complicated.

not sure if you have xre 41p4 . but with this firmware they made the logos much bigger and the numbers smaller

pizzaman

New Poster

I actually do have the firmware already.  The specific area I was talking about is what you see on the bottom right corner when you press "OK" while watching a program, not in the Guide which does have all of the logos at a readable size.

Contributor

@SuperDave426 wrote:

@alicesoref wrote:

I so agree with the person who complains about the 5 min pg up and down length.  Who thought of this and why?  The main reason for this feature is to get through commercials and that should be 1 minute or 90 seconds or even 45 seconds-the latter requires only 3 hits to get through a commercial.

Also why did they take away the LIVE button that used to be on remotes prior to the XL platform?

You can re-program the amount of skip -
Step 1: Press the Exit button three times
Step 2: Press 0030 (to program a 30 second skip)

change the "0030" to "0045' for a 45 second skip, etc....then Enter.

The "Exit" button will take you to Live TV.

Does this fix still work? I've tried pressing the exit button three times and nothing at all appears on my screen. I'd like to adjust the amount of skip on my system.

Valued Contributor

Yes, it still works, I just did it on one of my boxes last night. After you press exit three time press 0030 directly after. Nothing will appear on the screen. The search box will pop up after you press 0030. Just exit that and you remote should be updated.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Not sure if its a feature request,... just stop taking away the existing features

@andi_h wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

I agree HD Tech.  When watching a program and you decide to record the whole show the recording should start at the beginning.   Comcast will be installing my X1 in a couple weeks and hopefully this will be addresed.

Very, very doubtful.

Very very doubtful indeed. This has been a pending feature request for a long time and is my wife's and my main dislike of the X1/X2 platform. It's very annoying not to be able to pause and rewind while watching live tv and to start recording so that it records the entire program from the beginning. Also the size of the DVR storage is mediocre at best.

Comcast, any updates on this--it's extremely frustrating, especially with live events such as sports. Why is it that the old boxes could do this but X1 can't?

One other request (maybe it's just me), but when looking at a program in the guide, the guide no longer tells you when the show airs again. If I press Record, the guide will want to record the show that's already running, and not give me the option to record a future occurrence of the show. Not being able to capture the buffer in the recording of the current airing just adds salt to the wound...

Problem Solver

Re: Not sure if its a feature request,... just stop taking away the existing features

@cherrybronco wrote:

@andi_h wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

I agree HD Tech.  When watching a program and you decide to record the whole show the recording should start at the beginning.   Comcast will be installing my X1 in a couple weeks and hopefully this will be addresed.

Very, very doubtful.

Very very doubtful indeed. This has been a pending feature request for a long time and is my wife's and my main dislike of the X1/X2 platform. It's very annoying not to be able to pause and rewind while watching live tv and to start recording so that it records the entire program from the beginning. Also the size of the DVR storage is mediocre at best.

Comcast, any updates on this--it's extremely frustrating, especially with live events such as sports. Why is it that the old boxes could do this but X1 can't?

One other request (maybe it's just me), but when looking at a program in the guide, the guide no longer tells you when the show airs again. If I press Record, the guide will want to record the show that's already running, and not give me the option to record a future occurrence of the show. Not being able to capture the buffer in the recording of the current airing just adds salt to the wound...

if you rewind all the why to the beginning of a show while watching it live and press record then choose THIS EPISODE ONLY it will record the buffer as well..hope this helps. just remember to hit info first to see if the show title is right first before doing this.

pizzaman

Contributor

@m45warrior1 wrote:

Yes, it still works, I just did it on one of my boxes last night. After you press exit three time press 0030 directly after. Nothing will appear on the screen. The search box will pop up after you press 0030. Just exit that and you remote should be updated.

Thanks. That didn't work on my remote. But when I pressed "setup" first, then followed those directions, it reprogrammed to a 30 second skip forward and 15 second skip backward. I was actually trying to program a 60 second skip forward and backward by entering 0060 instead of 0030. But I got the 30 second skip forward. Is it supposed to be able to be programmed for a 60 or 90 second skip?

IIf I decide I'd just rather have the 5 minute skip again, how could I reverse this? I appreciate the help.

Problem Solver

@SFguy wrote:

@m45warrior1 wrote:

Thanks. That didn't work on my remote. But when I pressed "setup" first, then followed those directions, it reprogrammed to a 30 second skip forward and 15 second skip backward. I was actually trying to program a 60 second skip forward and backward by entering 0060 instead of 0030. But I got the 30 second skip forward. Is it supposed to be able to be programmed for a 60 or 90 second skip?

IIf I decide I'd just rather have the 5 minute skip again, how could I reverse this? I appreciate the help.

Regular Contributor

Feature only support 3 seconds or 5 minutes - 0500 or 0030.  Nothing between like 60 seconds.  The best work around is I have found is to create a macro on my Harmony that sends 4 fast forwards then play.  This sequence (that's what Harmoney calls them) of commands when executing works about to about 90 seconds or so.  Kind of a lame way to accomplish what is a trivial task for most DVR's but at least it get me closer

Problem Solver

@rgm6027 wrote:

Feature only support 3 seconds or 5 minutes - 0500 or 0030.  Nothing between like 60 seconds.  The best work around is I have found is to create a macro on my Harmony that sends 4 fast forwards then play.  This sequence (that's what Harmoney calls them) of commands when executing works about to about 90 seconds or so.  Kind of a lame way to accomplish what is a trivial task for most DVR's but at least it get me closer

i have a harmoney that is stuck in the kitchen drawer ( the charger stopped working before i got x1). i want to ask when it sends the 4 ff how much time are between commands? also are there any other stuff you can customize for x1 ..i just want to know if i should in vest in buying a new charger off the net. i would ask rick but i think he may have stock in the company...lol

Regular Contributor

The Harmony One executes the 5 commands in just under 5 seconds, so it takes about a second per command.   As I recall you can change this timing interval on some Harmony remotes. As to owning stock, that's funny - I really am not a fan of Harmony it what I have opposed t what I want and they have gotten worse and worse with each new model ever since they were bought some years ago...   In the end its a kludgy way to accomplsih something that should be drop dead simple.

Problem Solver

ya mine is like 7 years old. worked great for dish and on the legacy Comcast stuff. not what model i have have to find it first...most likely under my kids toy box..

Contributor

@rgm6027 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that. It was confusing from earlier posts in this section that seem to indicate you can set virtually any time period for the amount of skip.

Regular Contributor

When I had the green ring Pace box I programmed the skip for 60 seconds and it worked. Now that I have the Arris it only accepted the 30 second command, but it responds better so I just count 4 or 6 pushes and it skips immediately.
Frequent Visitor

It would be nice to get to the oldest recordings (of a certain show) first so I can watch shows in order. Now, I have to scroll all the way to the right, and with 60-something shows saved up, it takes a long time. 

Then, after I watch the first show, I can go back to where I was and not have to scroll through them all again. But after the second one, for some reason, I have to start all over again from "Recordings," go down to the show I want, then choose the episode after scrolling all the way to the right again. It takes forever and it freezes many times.

It is possible to sort the programs by chronological order, as in This Show...That Show...Other show... but within each show, those episodes are only one direction: newest to oldest. It would be awesome if I could watch the oldest first. Easily, anyway.

Seriously, so many changes in X1 make no sense at all. It's been so hard to get to what I want. Categories are gone, too.

Valued Contributor

I have to disagree somewhat. I would prefer the newest first. Since I keep a lot of older recordings around I prefer the newer stuff first. Of course more sort option would be ideal so everyone could have what they want. Someday...  

Problem Solver

@m45warrior1 wrote:

I have to disagree somewhat. I would prefer the newest first. Since I keep a lot of older recordings around I prefer the newer stuff first. Of course more sort option would be ideal so everyone could have what they want. Someday...  

i am like you i want to see what is recording(partly to make sure they are really recording). ya you are right everyone should have the choice on this one. just like i want to be able to shift my channel line up in a different order on my guide. i want this so the hd locals are the first thing on the guide. once that get all the folks to be able to record everything and have sound maybe they will on to features.

New Poster

I just started using the X1 and so far I hate it.  I took 4 hours to get it to hold the Favorites I input because it was a refurbished box and I finally figured out that you have to go into Saved Favorites and delete everything before you can create your own.  One feature that is missing from the X1 that was on the old DVR is being able to create folders in Favorites.  I wish they would work on putting that feature back.

The Guide is awful.  At the very top of the Guide screen there is a block with Guide in it and out to the side is "Change View"; however,  I haven't found a way to get to it in order to change the view screen.  Is that even possible?  What I had wasn't good but it was easier than this thing.

New Poster

Miss the color coded Sports, Movies for ease of scanning the guide.

Wish I could search movies on premium channels by genre

Wish the remote could be set up to control a receiver, miss the old AUX button.

Regular Contributor

Jut press the guide again and again to move, once the view is up guide will still move (L to R) from item to item or the nav keys.   Yes I think the new guide is worse than the old one but after a while you wil get more comfortable though some of the feature loss/implementations (just button craszy, if one button is good they think making you press 3 is even better. And he new busines in saved programs of displaying the dots - tellimg me X1 is busy stuff blows...

Regular Contributor

I could just scream when looking at the guide, select a program, then get the "bizzzzt, you do not have access to this channel". This is really rude. DO NOT put things in my guide, just to tell me I need to pay you more money to see it. As it is, I pay you more than my electric bill already.

Frequent Visitor

Dear Comcast Please activate the 2 x HDMI input ports on the back of the X1 DVR. Thank you.
Expert

@claykin wrote:
Dear Comcast Please activate the 2 x HDMI input ports on the back of the X1 DVR. Thank you.

These are disabled and there are no plans that I know of for CC to enable them....  same as the external HD feature that is also there...  not going to happen !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@geek46 wrote:

These are disabled and there are no plans that I know of for CC to enable them....  same as the external HD feature that is also there...  not going to happen !

You mean the eSata port?  Yes, enable that too!

These boxes are custom made for Comcast.  If Arris and Pace are putting the ports on them I would think there is at least a thought to add these options.  If not, delete them and save a few cents on production costs....

I'll be hopeful but will continue to use my HDMI switcher until Comcast enables..

Regular Contributor

Really missing the frame-by-frame advance that was available in the pre-X1 platform.  Any plans to make this feature available to X1 platforms users?

Problem Solver

They are not custom made boxes.
New Poster

fOR UNKNOWN REASONS i HAVE FOUND THAT HOLDING THE EXIT KEY FOR A FEW SECONDS RETURNS ME TO live.  Also, using the old remote LIVE key still works (the old remotes are great except for XFINITY button stuff.

Regular Contributor

Add original air date when pressing Info.  Currently have season and episode number, which is great, but would like air date added.

Also, add capability of changing font size.  I have 2 boxes, 1 Arris: font is really small.  1 Pace: All font seems bigger.  Very odd they would not be the same.

Silver Problem Solver

@MikeCT01 wrote:

Add original air date when pressing Info.  Currently have season and episode number, which is great, but would like air date added.

Also, add capability of changing font size.  I have 2 boxes, 1 Arris: font is really small.  1 Pace: All font seems bigger.  Very odd they would not be the same.

I assume they are both DVR's.  What screen size is connected to each and are they plasma/lcd?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Actually, both TV's are same exact model, Samsung 55 inch plasma.  The Arris is the X1 DVR and the Pace is the X1 companion.

Frequent Visitor

if you rewind all the why to the beginning of a show while watching it live and press record then choose THIS EPISODE ONLY it will record the buffer as well..hope this helps. just remember to hit info first to see if the show title is right first before doing this.

pizzaman

Pizzaman, I gave this a try today and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Perhaps we have different software versions--mine is dated 6/12/2014. Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@MikeCT01 wrote:

Actually, both TV's are same exact model, Samsung 55 inch plasma.  The Arris is the X1 DVR and the Pace is the X1 companion.

That would indicate the two devices funtion differently for some reason, for which I have no explanation.  My DVR is connected to a 60 inch LED and my companion is connected to a 42 inch LED and the size difference makes the Gude smaller on the smaller screen but I get the same 5 lines of channels on both.  They are both connected to Pace DVR's.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I don't even have the box yet and (not for two weeks) and one of the things im suprised / disappointed is there is no way to upgrade / extend dvr storage with the esata/usb port. Please add this Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

@Ncage wrote:

I don't even have the box yet and (not for two weeks) and one of the things im suprised / disappointed is there is no way to upgrade / extend dvr storage with the esata/usb port. Please add this Smiley Happy

Get a second dvr and than you will have more space and four more tuners. It only cost me $10 bucks more a month...

Regular Contributor

Yes, there were a lot of disappointing surprises for me that showed up over time. Disabling existing ports on the box was unbelievable.

Frequent Visitor

@Ncage wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree.  I did get a second dvr, and that does help, but I'm still capped at 1 Tb.  If I could add my own drive I could add as much memory as I want.  The extra tuners are nice, though.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Please fix the "Record" light which fails to ever come on on the Pace "Green Power Light" DVR's.

Problem Solver

@psdstu wrote:

Please fix the "Record" light which fails to ever come on on the Pace "Green Power Light" DVR's.

I have to ask . what is the purpose of the record light? Does the recording not show in the menu? Is this to make you feel all warm and cozy inside that your box is recording? I can't even see my box where I sit , my box is on a shelf up high behind my lazyboy.

Regular Contributor

@gotpizza wrote:

@psdstu wrote:

I have to ask . what is the purpose of the record light? Does the recording not show in the menu? Is this to make you feel all warm and cozy inside that your box is recording? I can't even see my box where I sit , my box is on a shelf up high behind my lazyboy.

You don't want to see the record light..... thats fine..... I'd like to see the light come on the way it was intended to....ok.

Problem Solver

So you are saying if comcast put out a new box without the record light you would not get it?
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - saved shows sorted by A-Z as default

Hi,  It would be nice if, when have saved shows on our DVR that we can set the sort function to A to Z as the default?  It appears the default is most recent.  To me, that isn't intuitive becauase when we record shows, most often you want to come to the folder to select the oldest episode so that you watch them in order.  Having the default sort by recording date requires us to have to then scroll through to find the older shows.  

Also, if they are sorted by A to Z, you can open the folder and find the show you want quickly by a quick scroll to the name.

I set it to A to Z each time, but it never 'sticks' so it is clearly not an option to keep it.  Can this be an option?

This would be nice for scheduled recordings as well.  When I go to that folder, I rarely know exactly when the show I am interested in will record, but I do know what show I've come here to check into.

Michelle

Contributor

It would be nice to be able to go past 80% full on the DVR without recordings getting deleted. Whoever thought that was a useful feature should be fired. Also being able to add an external HDD would be great.

Valued Contributor

Sorting A to. Z would be a nightmare. 

Problem Solver

Asort from a to z...? Sounds just nuts.
New Poster

I am sure this must have been covered in the forums already, but just to get comcast to listen we would really like the X1 to get the auto-recored based on keyword that the old DVR had.  Several sporting events now have to be selected individually to recored.  Example:  motogp.  This is a huge step back.

Thanks

Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

I would like to see an option to have the box go back to live TV after watching an on-demand program rather than the screen saver. My daughter usually watches an on-demand show while I am putting my other daughter to bed. When I come back, my daugher is been watching the screen saver since when the program ends, the box goes to the screen saver instead of live TV. I am hoping someone can tell me this is already available, but I have not found the option.

Regular Contributor

Agree 100%, defaulting back to the screen saver is a really bad design.

Contributor

While this work around my work for some people i don't think it's for me. Its much better to have the storage part centralized otherwise you have to say...well my dvr in the family room is full so i need to go record my program on the one in the bedroom. Also do the higher end receivers let you watch recorded content from another high end receiver ( dont' know the model number). If not that really wouldn't work well unless they create some unifying logic in the boxes which i'm sure could get complex. With that being said is the second full HD x1 receiver the same price as those satellite units they have?

@gotpizza wrote:

@Ncage wrote:

Get a second dvr and than you will have more space and four more tuners. It only cost me $10 bucks more a month...