Community Forum

X1 - DVR Feature Requests

Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests

@Rick_1 wrote:

X1 DVR Latest Upgrade Messed Up Menu Features Horribly.

I called support, they told me no way to go back to the menu I Loved.

They took away the 1st click of guide button gets menu on the right side

with large view of existing program on left. This absolutely sucks.

All to evidently cater to the sports nuts. Now a push of red "C" gets you

sports programming menus only on right side with large view of existing

program on left. I'm not a sports nut. I liked the programming menus I had before.

Dose anyone know of a way to get the old menu features back?

Or please bring back above mentioned feature or have option to go either way.

Click the right arrow, you get the smaller guide on the right.  As you know, clicking the guide button gets the regular guide.  Click it again gives you a filter menu, I believe.

Regular Visitor

I just got the X1 and 2 mini's today. After playing with the mini and trying to figure out why it won't pause or rewind live tv, I ended up here for help. Only to discover that the ability to pause/rewind/ff live tv on the minis is NOT an option?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?! 

This would have been a total deal breaker for me had I known prior to installation. I never even thought to ask because who would think Comcast woud go BACKWARDS in their technology? I have a very irritated husband right now. Trying to adjust to no pause/rewind/ff after years of having those features is irritating to say the least. DirecTV is looking better and better. I don't see this issue being addressed in the near future. Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

@LitleMs wrote:

I just got the X1 and 2 mini's today. After playing with the mini and trying to figure out why it won't pause or rewind live tv, I ended up here for help. Only to discover that the ability to pause/rewind/ff live tv on the minis is NOT an option?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?! 

This would have been a total deal breaker for me had I known prior to installation. I never even thought to ask because who would think Comcast woud go BACKWARDS in their technology? I have a very irritated husband right now. Trying to adjust to no pause/rewind/ff after years of having those features is irritating to say the least. DirecTV is looking better and better. I don't see this issue being addressed in the near future. Smiley Sad

Yes, sorry LittleMs. There are several things that would have been deal breakers for me had I known. I just took standard features for granted from other services, and was shocked to find out how many industry common features are missing from X1. Welcome to our pity party.

Wayne in Indy

Regular Visitor

Yes Please add the REMIND feature!

New Poster

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests - DVR MGR APPS

I downloaded the X1 ipad app twice now...and still it says there are no compatible tv's (I have a new smart tv). Says the same on my iPhone. And the same with tv to go. Been trying to resolve this issue with comcast for over a week now...sent to this dept, that dept, promised a supervisor who "might know what to do" would call within 48 hrs....of course nothing. Since they had me reboot the main box and they sent a signal, now all of the recorded programs no longer show on the X1 box in the bedroom. And what is this voice control you see on tv? I am beyond frustrated with comcast right now and pay tons each month for their triple play...have been a loyal customer for decades!
New Poster

I was told that by an x1 supervisor that when they updated everyone, those who lost their recorded programs would be issued a $20 credit. Give them a call. Not that fixed my problems at all....lol
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - DVR Feature Requests - DVR MGR APPS

Voice control is available only in the apps, in the app store you find Xfinity X1 Remote.  I don't have an iPad but on the iPhone you just tap the microphone symbol and speak.  Say for example channel xxx and it changes the channel  Personally, I think voice command is a silly and stupid idea that plays better to those younger than me and the the X1 marketing people as I find the old school remote control is a far better choice because the app, when I want to change channels takes more time.  On the iphone you press home, enter passcode, find the app, press the microphone and with a remote I have already been watching the new channel befreo I even have the app loaded or woke up. One thing in the app that is a little better is search, you can just say mythbusters and it finds the shows.   But even with search being the only thing I can see as better with the app, more often that not, search fails to find the show and I have to locate it the old fashioned way.  Oh and the wife isn't too happy when I start shouting into the app when she is asleep!

New Poster

Re: Can't search by category using x-1 guide.

There is a way now.  Once you are in the Guide, press Guide again and you get those options.

Regular Contributor

Not sure if its a feature request,... just stop taking away the existing features!!

This use to work on the old Motorola box and it was there at one point in the X1...

If I am watching a program and I press record, INCLUDE WHATEVER IS IN THE BUFFER IN THE RECORDING.

If this was an oversight, then its another example of not having quality control.  If this was changed because it was deemed to not be needed, then its another case of Comcast engineers not know how people use their products and a lack of having real beta testers.  There are so many common use cases to need this feature. 

The most common case in our house is if I come into the room and see that my wife has left the room temporarily to do something, she expects to be able to walk back into the room and rewind to where she was (assuming it wasnt longer than the 1hr buffer).  I used to be able to just start recording and then change the channel.  She could catch up from where ever she saw last it because the whatever was in the buffer was part of the recording.  Now I cant do that as if I press record, it only saves from when the record button was pressed.

Comcast, lets get something straight.  We like the improved usability and modern iterface.  Its completely inexusable to take basic features away.

Regular Contributor

Re: Not sure if its a feature request,... just stop taking away the existing features

I agree HD Tech.  When watching a program and you decide to record the whole show the recording should start at the beginning.   Comcast will be installing my X1 in a couple weeks and hopefully this will be addresed.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Not sure if its a feature request,... just stop taking away the existing features

@kab1 wrote:

I agree HD Tech.  When watching a program and you decide to record the whole show the recording should start at the beginning.   Comcast will be installing my X1 in a couple weeks and hopefully this will be addresed.

Very, very doubtful.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

Very, very doubtful.

Very very doubtful indeed. This has been a pending feature request for a long time and is my wife's and my main dislike of the X1/X2 platform. It's very annoying not to be able to pause and rewind while watching live tv and to start recording so that it records the entire program from the beginning. Also the size of the DVR storage is mediocre at best.

Frequent Visitor

Allow watching of DVR'd programs via Xfinity apps

It would be really nice if the Xfinity apps or via the website one could not only watch live TV but also watch programs recorded on your DVR. This should be no problem as long as someone is on the same network as where the DVR is hooked up to but also should be doable for external viewing since these days the available upload stream should be more than sufficient to allow that. 

I mean you can access the DVRs recorded shows and delete them, etc. Why not allow playback of those shows?

Contributor

Re: Allow watching of DVR'd programs via Xfinity apps

@andi_h wrote:

It would be really nice if the Xfinity apps or via the website one could not only watch live TV but also watch programs recorded on your DVR. This should be no problem as long as someone is on the same network as where the DVR is hooked up to but also should be doable for external viewing since these days the available upload stream should be more than sufficient to allow that. 

I mean you can access the DVRs recorded shows and delete them, etc. Why not allow playback of those shows?

My guess is once the roll out DVR in the cloud, you will be able to do this.

Most Valued Poster

@andi_h wrote:

A the previous poster said, the so called cloud service will esentially be the same thing.  Actually better as it will allow the download of programming to view away from the home network.  

Cheers.  

Frequent Visitor

@TiredRetired wrote:

A the previous poster said, the so called cloud service will esentially be the same thing.  Actually better as it will allow the download of programming to view away from the home network.  

Cheers.  

Yeah question is just by when this will be done/available. I'm not gonna hold my breath that it'll be done any time soon. Maybe by the end of the year if we're lucky?

Official Employee

Andi_h, have you checked out the xfinity tv go app. There's almost 40 different networks you can watch live.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@andi_h wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

Cheers.  

Yeah question is just by when this will be done/available. I'm not gonna hold my breath that it'll be done any time soon. Maybe by the end of the year if we're lucky?

Yeah, I would never want to guess on when it is going to be released.  But if you put a gun to my head I would say we will see it this year.  But who knows, right?  

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Andi_h, have you checked out the xfinity tv go app. There's almost 40 different networks you can watch live.

Hey Andrew,

Yes I have seen that and that's great but my point is that I'd want to watch what I've recorded so I can catch up on all that no matter where I am.

Frequent Visitor

I hope the process of "taking recordings to go" speeds up. I currently have the X1 with cloud dvr and to download a 60 minute recording takes 35-45 minutes. I realize that this is a beta product but it's almost not useable. Especially since the downloads "pause" if your not right there to keep the program alive on your phone/ipad. Also, watching live tv on iDevices is spotty. Some days it works good, other days the feeds are slow and crappy. Long way to go on this one I feel. BTW, I have the 50/25 internet and everything else runs fast and without issue so I can only assume that it is the cloud service that's having performance issues. I'm patient and will give it time. If things don't improve soon I'll make a call to support. I just thought that users on here might want some real life feedback.

Most Valued Poster

@ggkid71 wrote:

I hope the process of "taking recordings to go" speeds up. I currently have the X1 with cloud dvr and to download a 60 minute recording takes 35-45 minutes.

Thanx for updating us.

I have wondered about that.  Your post is the first I have seen confirming my fears that download speeds are that slow.  It currently takes me forever to download from the TVGo app and I have blast with a speedy wifi router.  

Notice the TV ad shows the progress bar just whizzing along while downloading.  I wonder in what parallel universe that is happening in? 

Official Employee

Ggkid, just curious, but are you downloading to your phone are you using your wifi or your phone's service?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

I tried to download a 30 minute program to 'Take with me' and it took 30 minutes to download.  I am not kidding.  I could have just watched it instead of trying to download it.

I don't see where I will be needing to take many recordings with me but if it's going to take that long, I KNOW I won't be taking anything with me.

Contributor

As far as timing, my guess is by the end of the month since Comcast is discontinuing AnyPlay on March 31.
Frequent Visitor

I hear you. I like to be on the cutting edge so I participate in as many betas/pilots as I can. I guess that's why I'm "patient" with things like this. I've seen a lot of people have questions about what this new service was going to bring so I figured I'd post my feedback so far. I'll try to pop back in now and then to give any updates I can. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them as time allows.

Official Employee

Volzalum, I wouldn't count on that, Anyplay is being discontinued because it's redundant and didn't sell well.

Official Employee

Thanks ggkid, any feedback negative or positive is welcomed. Especially for those chomping at the bit to get the cloud service (myself included)

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Ggkid, just curious, but are you downloading to your phone are you using your wifi or your phone's service?

Andrew, I'm on my home xfinity wifi downloading to my iPad and/or my iPhone. I've confirmed that it is definitely using just the wifi on my iPad (and iPhone) since I've put them in airplane mode and just enabled wifi to isolate my test(s). I work in IT so I know how important it is to understand the conditions that different actions are being done under. My latest download of last Friday night's Tonight Show is currently only at 78% downloaded after 53 minutes of downloading. This is by far the worst one so far since I started with this middle of last week. I'm heading out of town for a couple days so I'm taking a few recordings with me.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, I believe the service only works on the home wifi network that is registered with your Comcast ID & Password.  4G is not in the mix as I understand it.

What I do not understand yet, is whether this will work on a Xfinity WiFi HotSpot, as one must log in using your Comcast ID and password to use it.  Prolly not.  

Most Valued Poster

@ggkid71 wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, I'm on my home xfinity wifi downloading to my iPad and/or my iPhone. I've confirmed that it is definitely using just the wifi on my iPad (and iPhone) since I've put them in airplane mode and just enabled wifi to isolate my test(s). I work in IT so I know how important it is to understand the conditions that different actions are being done under. My latest download of last Friday night's Tonight Show is currently only at 78% downloaded after 53 minutes of downloading. This is by far the worst one so far since I started with this middle of last week. I'm heading out of town for a couple days so I'm taking a few recordings with me.

ggkid71, where are you located?  

Contributor

Ok, I thought AnyPlay was a separate box that took your existing DVR and streamed it over Sling.
Most Valued Poster

@volzalum wrote:
Ok, I thought AnyPlay was a separate box that took your existing DVR and streamed it over Sling.

It was a separate box. It essentially amounted to a headless CableCARD set-top with on-board Wi-Fi and QAM-to-IP video transcoding capabilities.  It did not, to the best of my knowledge, have anything to do with Sling.

Now, the current crop of XG1 boxes have built in transcoding, essentially making the need for a separate box with cable cards obsolete.

Next up, the XG5 Media Gateway, which will be really slick and neat. No need for a cable box if you have a smart TV.  If no smart TV (like me) then you will need the Xi3 IP only client box.  Cool, huh? 

Official Employee

Tired, you can also use a 3G or 4G connection
Here's a link for FAQS
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xtv-go-app-download-feature-faqs

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Tired, you can also use a 3G or 4G connection
Here's a link for FAQS
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xtv-go-app-download-feature-faqs

Yes, you are correct.  I thought the conversation was around the DVR Cloud not TVGo.   My bad.  

Contributor

I thought the other convo was about X1 in the Cloud from a user in Boston area also Tired. Sorry, iPhone so can't quote.
Official Employee

I think it was a little of both, but I'm pretty sure for the cloud part it goes through the home wifi network

Frequent Visitor

Tired, I'm located in Nashua, NH which falls in the Comcast Boston market I was told. That was the only reason I was able to get dvr cloud turned on.
Most Valued Poster

@ggkid71 wrote:
Tired, I'm located in Nashua, NH which falls in the Comcast Boston market I was told. That was the only reason I was able to get dvr cloud turned on.

Thank you.  Keep us informed on how you enjoy the service if you have the time.

Cheers. 

New Poster

Once in the guide use the fast forward button and it will jump 24 ahead, or you can do the same with the back button to go backwards. No searching the past, but if you go ahead 3 days and then want to go back a day you can
New Poster

Re: remote control function

The real answer is as follows
In guide function use the fast forward button and you jump 24 hours ahead
New Poster

Quick way to work around pausing live tv on the satellite boxes. Record them and then you can do whatever you want
When you are done, just delete the program

Kind of a waste to have to work around, but sine the engineers don't realize how much this is used, we have to work around a lot
My occupation demands I think about how things can be screwed up and then find ways around them until the real fix is deployed
New Poster

Comcast grace
I have work arounds for most of the problems seen in these forums. I got them from simple google searches. If I can figure this all out then why can't comcast employees figure it out and communicate the solutions to the public. TRAIN your employes to actually help
Highlighted
Contributor

On the latest version of X-1, the color coding of sports, cinema, etc. is removed from the guide screens.  that is a major loss.

Also we need the ability that was in the old boxes of being able to create multiple favorites lists.  Right now I have to the single available favorites list to eliminate channels that I am not subscribed to.  

With the sole exception of more storage space, X-1 continues to be a down grade from the old box.

New Poster

Re: X1 app on iPad

STILL cannot get the X1 iPad app to work after 2 wks dealing with comcast's "customer support". Also, when I had the x1 box installed in the living room the technician said if I had another installed in the bedroom they would "talk to each other" & all recorded programs could be seen on both boxes - and it was true. We LOVED it but a new tech came and said it was absolute b.s. - it never should have worked that way. That was the main reason we got the x1 boxes! Plus the first tech took our "old" DVD from the living room, put it in the kitchen and said it wouldn't be any extra charge. I find from the new tech that it's an additional $19! Don't they train these techs???? I am so very tired of the comcast runaround with no satisfactory end results! Time to go to direct tv I think - so sad. Had Cox cable in CT and loved them! Doesn't it stink when you have to have only one cable company because your location doesn't provide an option for others? Really liked (and was a cheerleader for with others too) comcast Smiley Sad
New Poster

Re: X1 app on iPad

That was an old DVR they moved to the kitchen lol
Silver Problem Solver

@TiredRetired wrote:

@volzalum wrote:

It was a separate box. It essentially amounted to a headless CableCARD set-top with on-board Wi-Fi and QAM-to-IP video transcoding capabilities.  It did not, to the best of my knowledge, have anything to do with Sling.

Now, the current crop of XG1 boxes have built in transcoding, essentially making the need for a separate box with cable cards obsolete.

Next up, the XG5 Media Gateway, which will be really slick and neat. No need for a cable box if you have a smart TV.  If no smart TV (like me) then you will need the Xi3 IP only client box.  Cool, huh? 

Wow.  I have a Samsung SmartTV.  I REALLY want that upgrade.  This is the first time I've heard about this capability.  Where did you find this information?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

@volzalum wrote:

Wow.  I have a Samsung SmartTV.  I REALLY want that upgrade.  This is the first time I've heard about this capability.  Where did you find this information?

Some light reading! 

http://www.lightreading.com/comcast-all-service-gateways-go-headless/d/d-id/700454

Cheers. 

Contributor

@ggkid71 wrote:

Hey Kid,  I'm in Plaistow, also the Boston area presumably.  What did you do to get the cloud services turned on?  How has your experience been, particularly the performance streaming recorded programs?

Silver Problem Solver

@TiredRetired wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

@volzalum wrote:

Some light reading! 

http://www.lightreading.com/comcast-all-service-gateways-go-headless/d/d-id/700454

Cheers. 

It reads like the signal is sent to Smart TV's over wifi.  I hope the new Arris and Pace XG5 has more throuput than my current xfinity DOCSIS 2.0 gateway

Frequent Visitor

g-mason, First I downloaded the xfinitiy TV app on my iPad and tried to login with my Comcast ID. When I did that, it confirmed I was on my xfinity wifi and then when it checked for cloud services it told me that it was available in my area and to call Comcast to activate. I've heard it's sometimes difficult to get the right person on the line or anyone that knows what you are calling in for. I found that using the phrase "dvr with cloud service" emphasis on "cloud service" that after techs I was patched thru to one of the cloud service techs dedicated to the pilot of this. Once I spoke to them and they confirmed I already had X1 with the any room dvr, they tried adding the appropriate account codes to add the service to my account. Took about 40mins on the phone. Hope this helps.