Community Forum

X1 DVR Case error

New Poster

X1 DVR Case error

I have an error code on the X1 DVR that reads CASE.  Anyone seen this?  They cannot send a tech for 3 days.  Only had the box for 5 days and cable it out already.  Not a good start.

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR Case error

I have the same error. They are going to call to troubleshoot tonight and or send a tech out. It give me the "Case" message on the LED screen and then changes to another garbled one I can't even type. Even the A in case is missing a side...it just did it in the middle of me watching an on demand free flick.

I'll try to remember to come back and post anything if I find out.

Tags (3)
Bronze Problem Solver

Have you tried powercycling the DVR?

New Poster

Yes, I had it unplugged for a whole day before they called me back. Same thing "Case" error with part of the A missing, and then "Pr Y" and another garbled message I can't read between that. They called, did the standard junk you have to do before they will send someone out. Now i'll have to wait for a call today...going on 3rd day now before i even get a scheduled call to come out within the next 2 or 3 days....suprised they don't carry the X1 at the local xfinity store. I could have went there, had them test it out and see there is an issue and have a new one the same day. Seems as if though that would be easier and less expensive for them, but alas.

Bronze Problem Solver

klemetsrud wrote:

Yes, I had it unplugged for a whole day before they called me back. Same thing "Case" error with part of the A missing, and then "Pr Y" and another garbled message I can't read between that. They called, did the standard junk you have to do before they will send someone out. Now i'll have to wait for a call today...going on 3rd day now before i even get a scheduled call to come out within the next 2 or 3 days....suprised they don't carry the X1 at the local xfinity store. I could have went there, had them test it out and see there is an issue and have a new one the same day. Seems as if though that would be easier and less expensive for them, but alas.

Sounds like the box is getting locked up during the rebooting process.  The X1 isn't carried at the local Comcast offices because of the complexity of the installatlion.  It's a tech install only.  Good luck with your appt. 

New Poster

Mine was doing the same this evening.  Case message then Pr Y then to black screen.  Tried suggestion from another posting of typing in a channel on the remote and hitting OK.  Got the 3 dots in top right corner and the channel came up and all is working now.  Hope this helps you guys.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry folks but the "CASE" error is not resolved by any item in this thread.  Look at your modem and see if the US/DS light is flashing.  If so you have no hope to resolve it yourself.  The problem is outside the house and will require a Comcast tec to fix it.  Why total system outage is not a reason for you to get a priority call over oter people.  We have been without cable, internet and phone for a day and a half.  Comcast said first in first out with a call to the house.  That is totally wrong.  Full service out should take priority.  Also if they don't have a tec available then they must have lots of problems.  I live in snowbird land and 1/4 of the population is gone.  So why don't they have staff?     We have a budled package so forced but you get what you pay for.  Didn't have problems with Verizon!

Silver Problem Solver

dras2 wrote:

Sorry folks but the "CASE" error is not resolved by any item in this thread.  Look at your modem and see if the US/DS light is flashing.  If so you have no hope to resolve it yourself.  The problem is outside the house and will require a Comcast tec to fix it.  Why total system outage is not a reason for you to get a priority call over oter people.  We have been without cable, internet and phone for a day and a half.  Comcast said first in first out with a call to the house.  That is totally wrong.  Full service out should take priority.  Also if they don't have a tec available then they must have lots of problems.  I live in snowbird land and 1/4 of the population is gone.  So why don't they have staff?     We have a budled package so forced but you get what you pay for.  Didn't have problems with Verizon!

First, it's not case, it's CAST. 

Second, it's not an error. It's a normal part of the bootup sequence.

Third, if there's something wrong, the box will tell you on your TV screen, not the front of the box.

Fourth, your modem has nothing to do with your X1 service.

Fifth, this topic is almost a year old, there was no need to revive it.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

First, you are correct Cast is a boot up process for a cable driven "cable box"

Second, you are right the cable box and the modem are two different things

Third, you are right it is an old post

Forth, you are wrong people still need to search and all the information rather old or new is pertinent

Fifth and most importantly you are wrong, the light he was referring to on the modem is its connection to its drop(cable) from Xfinity this the name modem! Which means it's not communicating outside of the house, it is a troubleshooting step to rule out your equipment. If the modem is having an issue and your cable box is having an issue, then it's a good bet the problem is your account or like he mentioned outside of your house.

So to clarify I agree with you, as a standard user you cannot get this confused as the same thing, just let the tech figure it out. However some of use want more information.
Silver Problem Solver

This topic was again, several months old. The OP is likely not here anymore. If you have problems it's likely not related in which case you should make a new topic. If you're trying to help then you're doing it wrong, because again, this topic is several months old. 

Yes, the modem has nothing to do with X1 boxes. Sure there could be a shared issue like a bad outside drop, but saying that is only a way of trying to find the problem, not a "i need to troubleshoot the modem first to make the X1 work" correctly" thing.