Community Forum

X1 DVR Box Swap and Lost recordings

New Poster

X1 DVR Box Swap and Lost recordings

We recently received a new box from Comcast when we changed out our internet modem.  We didn’t request a new box.  I checked online and read the following:

Will I lose the recordings currently saved on my X1 DVR?
Existing recordings will remain available on your TV Box, but will not be available for playback or download on mobile devices or computers.

Well, not so much.  We lost all our recordings, although the new empty DVR shows 22% of space used, which is, coincidentally, the exact amount of space used on our old DVR.  

Any ideas?

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 DVR Box Swap and Lost recordings

Unfortunately,  only so many hours of recordings are stored in the cloud. Older recordings will not transfer to your new box due to these limits.

The only way to watch your missing recordings is to watch them on the old box.

I do not however think there is any reason to return your old box due to your new modem. 

Tek
Silver Problem Solver

@Jenvanderveen wrote:

We recently received a new box from Comcast when we changed out our internet modem.  We didn’t request a new box.  I checked online and read the following:

Will I lose the recordings currently saved on my X1 DVR?
Existing recordings will remain available on your TV Box, but will not be available for playback or download on mobile devices or computers.

Well, not so much.  We lost all our recordings, although the new empty DVR shows 22% of space used, which is, coincidentally, the exact amount of space used on our old DVR.  

Any ideas?

I have three DVR's.  I replaced one for a 4K DVR.  I lost the recordings that were made on that 
DVR but I did not lose the recordings that were scheduled on the other two DVR's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I was told you can take your X1 DVR and your 4K DVR up to the store and they can transfer all your recording to the 4K DVR. Yet it seems you get a different answer from every person you talk to
Official Employee

No that isn’t correct. You take your box in to swap it, only the last 60 hours recorded on the old X1 DVR will be available through the new DVR. There’s no physical transfer of recordings done.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you Andrew.  I can't tell you how many people you can talk to Comcast they all have different answers.  It's very misleading.  

New Poster

I have a question for you Andrew.  When i hook up the new 4K DVR and everything downloads (setup)  will the recordings at that time download into the new DVR?  Also, will I just have to take up the old X1 DVR, correct?  The Comcast person I was talking to said they are not available at the stores and yet that isn't true either so now I have to wait for it to arrive in the mail.  

Official Employee

The 60 hours or less (whatever you have) don’t download, they’re just accessible. But they’ll show in the list with any new recordings made.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@Tornado74 wrote:

I have a question for you Andrew.  When i hook up the new 4K DVR and everything downloads (setup)  will the recordings at that time download into the new DVR?  Also, will I just have to take up the old X1 DVR, correct?  The Comcast person I was talking to said they are not available at the stores and yet that isn't true either so now I have to wait for it to arrive in the mail.  

when the new DVR is up and running be sure to go to device settings, and 'sync DVR' (this will tell the DVR the scheduled programs to record without waiting for the overnight reboot to get the schedule. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Tornado74 wrote:

when the new DVR is up and running be sure to go to device settings, and 'sync DVR' (this will tell the DVR the scheduled programs to record without waiting for the overnight reboot to get the schedule. 

I forgot that step when I replaced my DVR with the 4k DVR.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Hi Andrew. What if the content is not accessible on the new DVR? When I go to my recordings on the new box, nothing from my old box is there?
Official Employee

Hi Andrew. What if the content is not accessible on the new DVR? When I go to my recordings on the new box, nothing from my old box is there?

cfraz15, the only content that would be available in the new box should be the most recent 60 hours of content on the cloud. I would recommend resyncing your DVR to the cloud via settings.