Community Forum

X1 Box flashing at night

Regular Visitor

X1 Box flashing at night

I just got my X1 boxes in place last week, including one for the family room and one for the bedroom. I've turned the lights off on the bedroom box to darken the room, but it has been flashing & waking us up every other night, presumably doing some sort of update. I found a thread from last year that suggested an artful fix using a pile of socks to cover the light, but nothing that appeared to be 'Comcast-sanctioned'.

IS anyone else experiencing this? This is ridiculous.

Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box flashing at night

All X1 boxes power cycle between 1am and 4am each night, depending on which timezone you are in.

Electrical tape will also more or less dim the power light.  There is also a setting in Settings (gear icon) but it only has three settings, but you might as well try it.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes reboot almost every night... Everyone expriences it and other than covering the box lights with black electrical tape there is little you can do about it.

X1 DVR boxes do have settings to dim the lights. You have the option the option to turn the lights off. However it should be noted the RNG-150 "Companion" boxes does not have lighting control.

sgrim wrote:

I just got my X1 boxes in place last week, including one for the family room and one for the bedroom. I've turned the lights off on the bedroom box to darken the room, but it has been flashing & waking us up every other night, presumably doing some sort of update. I found a thread from last year that suggested an artful fix using a pile of socks to cover the light, but nothing that appeared to be 'Comcast-sanctioned'.

IS anyone else experiencing this? This is ridiculous.

Regular Contributor

I turned the light setting to "off" on my Xi3, but it still blinks during an update/reboot. Hmmm, where did I put that electrical tape?

Problem Solver

I fixed the issue with these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/Dim-It-light-dimming-sheets/dp/B006R0VWSG

New Poster

I have the settings set for the front light to stay off bc it lights up my whole bedroom at night and the darn thing just woke me up at 2am flashing out of nowhere. I just unplugged the thing, I don't want this in my bedroom now!
New Poster

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was possessed!
New Poster

I have the Xfinity Model PX032ANI box and have the same exact problem with BRIGHT BLUE Flashing LED in the middle of the night. I have been woken up many times in the middle of the nigh. I have called Comcast twice and they walked me through all the menus and settings to turn the LED off and dim it and many other setting. Nothing worked, so I have to leave a shirt on it all the time, but it gets very warm. I would think they could change this in software updates. If anyone figured this out I would appreciate knowing the fix.

Gold Problem Solver

It's normal and it is highly unlikely that Comcast is going to change it.

Cover the light with black electrical tape.
Gold Problem Solver

Topic now Closed.