Community Forum

X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

New Poster

X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I've had my box up and running for about a week and I find that it reboots itself at least once a day which is frustrating on many levels. My recordings are interrupted and incomplete and when watching a program a miss a portion of it while the box reboots.  Very frustrating!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting


It is normal for X1 boxes to reboot almost every morning around 2am to 4am. If yours is rebooting more often than that or at different times the boxes is probably fighting with signal deficiencies.

When X1 boxes mysteriously reboot, that is a classic symptom of signal problems. If you have triple checked all of your connections and removed any unnecessary splitters yet you are still having issues, I suggest you call Comcast and have them send a tech out.

FYI this is fairly common for new X1 users.



Anniekv wrote:

I've had my box up and running for about a week and I find that it reboots itself at least once a day which is frustrating on many levels. My recordings are interrupted and incomplete and when watching a program a miss a portion of it while the box reboots.  Very frustrating!





New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

Thanks, I'll check on the connections but it's happening randomly throughout the day/night.  Last night it happened at 5:32 pm and then again at 8:18 pm

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I'm on my 2nd X1 box in 2mo. The first one worked fine for about 6 weeks then went into continuous reboot and would not sync. Online support went thru troubleshooting and concluded I needed a new box. I've had the 2nd box for about 4 days and while watching my favorite team, GS Warriors vs. OKC Thunder the box started rebooting. Each boot/sync cycle takes anywhere from 5-15 min. When it did sync and get picture, it would only work for 10-15 min then reboot. Now its in continuous reboot like the first one. I'm a electrical design engineer for a major telecom supplier and I can tell you this: A poor signal should not cause the CPU in the modem box to reboot, and it should not take 5 minutes to bootup. Slow bootup is probably due to trying to save a few bucks by using a cheap, underpowered CPU.  Instead of going into constant reboot, the CPU should display some kind of notice that it's trying to sync with the upstream server and continue to display the live status so the user has some clue as to what's causing the problem. I have 3 std def. dumb video receivers which work fine, and multiple devices connected to my internet just fine. A service is not scheduled for noon-2pm on Superbowl 50 Sunday. I sure hope the service guy gets here on time and can get it working for my Superbowl party!  Else Comcast will owe me big time!  I'm very frustrated with the X1 system. The older generation box/system was far more reliable. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 15yrs and I'm feeling betrayed by such unreliable equipment.  

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting


wazoomr wrote:

I'm on my 2nd X1 box in 2mo. The first one worked fine for about 6 weeks then went into continuous reboot and would not sync. Online support went thru troubleshooting and concluded I needed a new box. I've had the 2nd box for about 4 days and while watching my favorite team, GS Warriors vs. OKC Thunder the box started rebooting. Each boot/sync cycle takes anywhere from 5-15 min. When it did sync and get picture, it would only work for 10-15 min then reboot. Now its in continuous reboot like the first one. I'm a electrical design engineer for a major telecom supplier and I can tell you this: A poor signal should not cause the CPU in the modem box to reboot, and it should not take 5 minutes to bootup. Slow bootup is probably due to trying to save a few bucks by using a cheap, underpowered CPU.  Instead of going into constant reboot, the CPU should display some kind of notice that it's trying to sync with the upstream server and continue to display the live status so the user has some clue as to what's causing the problem. I have 3 std def. dumb video receivers which work fine, and multiple devices connected to my internet just fine. A service is not scheduled for noon-2pm on Superbowl 50 Sunday. I sure hope the service guy gets here on time and can get it working for my Superbowl party!  Else Comcast will owe me big time!  I'm very frustrated with the X1 system. The older generation box/system was far more reliable. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 15yrs and I'm feeling betrayed by such unreliable equipment.  


IN some cases, poor signals to the X1 network will in fact casue spontaneous rebooting of thre X1 boxes.  Check that all of your connectors are tight on the box and on any splitters used.  Weather can also cause signal degradation if the outside wiring.connectors are having issues.  I would suggest that you get a Tech onsite to evaluate the problem and make the necessary repairs for you to enjoy your X1 platform.  X1 help line is 877-896-8678 or 888-739-1379


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

The nightly reboots are crazy. People that accept this are typically people that don't watch tv or record at night, and usually these people could careless about the people that do, at least on this forum. We should have a way to turn this off, of schedule it on our own. Just another annoying thing about xfinity!
New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I am also experiencing regular (once per 2hrs maybe) unexpected reboots. I've actually stopped watching anything because it's so incredibly annoying.

 

This is unacceptable. Who designed this thing? I hope they've been fired. Sadly that doesn't help us now. I fear the only real solution is for whatever random Chinese OEM they used to actually fix the problem in the hardware design and rev. the product. Don't hold your breath...

 

As posted above, I have many devices AppleTV, Time Capsule, ethernet-connected Reciever, TVs, etc. Even in the back of the house with long cable runs I've never had a problem. This X1 box is litterally sitting next the the router; it couldn't be a better signal. I know my sig levels are within normal range via my router's reporting. Even so, Comcast is forever blaming it on cable connection....

 

Also as posted above, it would be helpful to be able to get indication about what is going on so I can at least try to do something about it. Can you log into it like a router?  Maybe l'll try a beefy power supply and if that helps...<sigh>

 

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

If your X1 box is constantly rebooting, I would suggest you DO have a signal issue.  Not sure why you think the router is reporting good signal levels for the X1 box, since it has nothing to do with the X1 box signal.  If you want to check your signal levels for your X1 box follow this link.  It explains how to get into the diagnostics for X1 and then you could see if your signals are within spec.  If not, I suggest a visit from a Comcast technician.

 


G3ar_H3ad wrote:

I am also experiencing regular (once per 2hrs maybe) unexpected reboots. I've actually stopped watching anything because it's so incredibly annoying.

 

This is unacceptable. Who designed this thing? I hope they've been fired. Sadly that doesn't help us now. I fear the only real solution is for whatever random Chinese OEM they used to actually fix the problem in the hardware design and rev. the product. Don't hold your breath...

 

As posted above, I have many devices AppleTV, Time Capsule, ethernet-connected Reciever, TVs, etc. Even in the back of the house with long cable runs I've never had a problem. This X1 box is litterally sitting next the the router; it couldn't be a better signal. I know my sig levels are within normal range via my router's reporting. Even so, Comcast is forever blaming it on cable connection....

 

Also as posted above, it would be helpful to be able to get indication about what is going on so I can at least try to do something about it. Can you log into it like a router?  Maybe l'll try a beefy power supply and if that helps...<sigh>

 


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

After 3 visits from the service guy and now my 3rd X1 box, it finally seems to be stable. The service guy(s) had to replace nearly all the coax cable from the curb to the various comcast devices in my home and install a multi-port signal amplifier. My home has: 1ea Arris Docsis3 voice modem, 1ea X1 box, 3ea std def tuners, 1ea Arris data modem. The basic problem is two fold. 1) The X1 video box requires much higher signal quality than the previous generation. 2) If the X1 box signal is compromised at anytime, it simply reboots. If it can't re-sync it just keeps rebooting endlessly without any indication of what's wrong. Sometimes it will re-sync and you'll get video....for awhile unitl it reboots again randomly.  It's too bad the X1 box doesn't have better diagnostics to inform the user on details of the root problem or when the signal quality is marginal.

New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I was thinking the router might be similar as its on the same split with the same cable length. The best I could do; fully agree its not a directly relevant measure. (It did end up being very similar to X1).

 

Thank you for the link! Lots of info there. Here are my results along with the acceptable range (from the link):

 

X1 Downstream Power: 6.4dB; should be between -8 and +8

X1 Downstream SNR: 40.5dB; should be below 49

X1 Upstream Power: 47.0dB; should be above 30

 

According to this my X1 signal is good. Do we know what typical numbers are?

 

PS -- I did have a tech out already.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting


Your upstream is in within spec but high for my liking. I prefer below 45.

What you posted is not the entire picture. Only a tech can test for noise on the lines. That is one cause of X1 boxes locking up.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I've had xfinity boxes for years. I've replaced all boxes several times. IT STILL BOOTS ABOUT 5 times a day. IT STINKS to go through it every day, not necessarily at night; but I am sleeping then. Mine starts when tv comes on in the morning, like 9:00 and on.

CUSTOMER SERVICE is LESS INFORMED than I am. They say we need new boxes. <br><br>
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

Do you have X1 boxes? If you do you need your signal levels checked. It is normal for X1 boxes to reboot once per day. Any more than that is an indicator that your X1 box is fighting with signal deficiencies.

X1 boxes are very signal sensitive and often require a tech visit to get signal levels within spec.



mavl50 wrote:
I've had xfinity boxes for years. I've replaced all boxes several times. IT STILL BOOTS ABOUT 5 times a day. IT STINKS to go through it every day, not necessarily at night; but I am sleeping then. Mine starts when tv comes on in the morning, like 9:00 and on.

CUSTOMER SERVICE is LESS INFORMED than I am. They say we need new boxes. <br><br>

 

Official Employee

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting


mavl50 wrote:
I've had xfinity boxes for years. I've replaced all boxes several times. IT STILL BOOTS ABOUT 5 times a day. IT STINKS to go through it every day, not necessarily at night; but I am sleeping then. Mine starts when tv comes on in the morning, like 9:00 and on.

CUSTOMER SERVICE is LESS INFORMED than I am. They say we need new boxes. <br><br>

Going by your account, you haven't had a tech out since 2015, it may be time. Which box reboots 1 or all four?

New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

I have had Xfinity 1 boxes for almost a year now and have two seperate accounts with Comcast in two different locations.  I find it no coincidence that both locations decided to act up with this rebooting problem at the same time.  At first, anytime I went to use the remote to bring up the guide or change the volume, I would receive a RDK-03-033 Error code.  It was a hairpulling experience, as I triple checked all my connections, downloaded the app for my account and reset the tv myself, after doing both a soft reset (15 seconds) and a hard reset (2 minutes).  After doing all that to no avail, I had to resort to calling Comcast and having support reset the TV.  This is a 30 minute process.  I scheduled an appointment and demanded a Tier 2 technician to come out.  Comcast was confused about having the two appointments, and only one technician showed up at one of our locations.  He checked everything and explained to me about the signal problem and the MOCHA FILTER.  I cannot reiterate how he explained it to me, but, the bottom line is that the MOCHA FILTER directs the signal in the right direction.  Now, I am waiting for another technician to come out today at the other location to fix the same issue.  I have found out that if I do nothing, the box will eventually reboot itself.  I am biding my time, by watching Netflix, or a DVD until this problem is fixed.  I can tell when the box has a hiccup and starts rebooting itself by watching the front panel.  The words BOOT show up...then PST ... then eventually, the box will display the correct time for my time zone.  It's only then that I know that the system has corrected itself.  Yesterday, I noticed that the box rebooted itself fourteen times during the day and the TV was on.  Do yourself a favor and request a Tier 2 level technician bring a MOCHA FILTER and request that the technician check for bad splitters as well. 

Official Employee

Re: X1 Box Keeps Rebooting

 

Hello Anniekv, the information that (BLeeGreen) shared is correct. We may need to get a tech out to resolve this problem for you if you're box is cutting out randomly during the day. Your box is set up to reboot at least once a day automatically but this would take place around 2:00 am your time. If you're still having issues with your equipment please send me a private message with your full address and account number by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me".