Community Forum

X1 Box Keeps Freezing

New Poster

X1 Box Keeps Freezing

I have had this service for over 3 weeks now.  I'm wanting my Dish Network back and am considering reversing the change.  Every day since I had my service hooked up, the box has frozen in some capacity.  I can't change channels or use any features what-so-ever.  I've called in twice and just told to restart the machine, then I get hung up on.  I continually get a screen that tells me to call for service or check online.  It references an error RDK-03032.  Eventually I will see a screen saying reconnecting.  But then 2 mins later I wind up in the same spot. 

Anyone else seeing this issue?  I'm not paying a single bill, and will likely dump the service if this isn't resolved by the weekend.

New Poster

Re: X1 Box Keeps Freezing

Yup,

Ive been having the same problem for the past few days. It just keeps locking up.

My old Xfinity box never had any issues. I have to think its the X1 service

Frequent Visitor

Where are you located?  I am a new X1 triple play and have had a couple of issues. I have had no freeze ups yet but some pixel on c-span for a long time and I had to reset the box and the record red button on all the time. We experianced a DVR outage issue on 10-1 also. I am in Alexandria, Va. I wonder if it is area specific. I am a crazy NFL fan so I have DirecTV Genie also. 

New Poster

Framingham Mass. This box seems to have a mind of its own. 

Ive been on hold for over an hour.

Went on x finity chat and keep getting disconected.

Its time to call FIOS   

Comcast service is terrable 2 hours and no results

Official Employee

Erik the 03032 error is something in the cable along the way that blocks access, a bad wall plate, piece of cable for example
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks all.  I'm in Chaska, MN.  My house is less than 10 years old and was professionally wired when it was built.  So if there is a connection issue, I would say it would be outside the house.  I travel a ton, and just want my TV to work when I am home.  I told them I didn't need anything but HDTV and Internet.  But this was the deal... 

I have a message into my sales rep.  Told him if I don't have an answer by Sunday I am cancelling.

Good luck all!

Erik

Contributor

In my personal experience, I had one satellite x1 box performing poorly as described.  When the technician came, he tested each line as it came to the TV.  The issue was with the cable from wall to TV.  He replaced that cable, and all is well.  My home was professionally wired too.

I'd suggest anyone getting x1 to have a tech meter each TV.  X1 works but seems to requires much tighter tolerances.  Good luck.  

New Poster

Thanks again.  I will try to swap out the cable and see if I get better results.  

New Poster

Our system freezes up constantly. We've had X1 with any room DVRs for almost two months and are very sorry we made the change. It hasn't worked as advertised from day one. I've spent hours on the phone with tech support, all of our equip has been replaced, new wiring installed and we've had more visits from technicians than I can count. We have to "reboot" the set top boxes at least 2-3 times every day. Very, very frustrating.

Regular Visitor

Mine freezes all the time, too  They only solution is to unplug and hope it starts again on it's own.. long tedious proces when it has to be done mulitple times.. I think Comast better get some

patches to fix this problem..

New Poster

At what point do the words "class action law suit" start getting thrown around?

Problem Solver

Class action for the junior lawyers means more $ in lawyers pockets none in yours. Everyone wants to sue but guess what when the case gets to the light of day the lawyers get millions you get pennies. If you are not happy then do like others have done and use other services. Satellite or TiVo comes to mind.
Frequent Visitor

I've noticed at ever half hour and every hour when the guide updates, the unit does not register keypresses until it is done with the update. And then all of a sudden all the pressed buttons register all at the same time... Although I thought I was going to stick with Comcast since I've been a customer since 1999 but it might be time to revisit FiOS.
Regular Visitor

X1 INSTALLED LAST WEDNESDAY AND 2 BOXES OUT 3 FROZEN DID RESET WITH COMCAST ON PHONE STILL FREEZING UP RESET BOXES 10 TIMES A DAY HAVE NOT HAD 1 DAY OF USE YET THEY DID THE INSTALL AND RAN THE CABLE TO THE BOXES NOT WORKING SO IM GIVING THEM UNTIL THIS COMING FRIDAY TO GET IT FIXED OR IM CANCELLING NOT GOING TO RESET BOXES EVERY 30 MINUTES THEY STARTED A TICKET ON MY PROBLEM WHAT EVER THAT MEANS I HAD DISH 7 YEARS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS

New Poster

Since I was "upgraded" to the X1 platform, I have had nothing but problems with the TV freezing and having to reset the box.  It is very frustrating and no one at Comcast seems to know what the problem is, obviously this is not a unique problem since it appears folks have been having problems for almost a year.  Customer service is absolutely NO help.  I was told that it was my TV that needed to be replaced!  Get with it Comcast and get a fix for this problem!!!  I can't get out of my 2 year contract or I would be with Century Link right now!

Gold Problem Solver

Patty,

If you know it is not a unique problem then you should also know what the solution is. Like many new X1 customers, you have signal level or signal quality issues the need to be addressed by a service visit.

Call into Comcast and get a tech out to your house to fix your signal issues...

pattyjean2014 wrote:

Since I was "upgraded" to the X1 platform, I have had nothing but problems with the TV freezing and having to reset the box.  It is very frustrating and no one at Comcast seems to know what the problem is, obviously this is not a unique problem since it appears folks have been having problems for almost a year.  Customer service is absolutely NO help.  I was told that it was my TV that needed to be replaced!  Get with it Comcast and get a fix for this problem!!!  I can't get out of my 2 year contract or I would be with Century Link right now!

Contributor

Patty, I had a look at your account and did not see any issues with signal levels, I escalated this to our advanced techs to see if they have a solution. I am sending the confirmation via private message. 

Regular Visitor

I have had the same issues for over a year to no avail. They will tell me it's the cables and we religiously monitor the cables and ensure there are no kinks and that everything is screwed on tightly. It's a huge issue with X1 and frankly, I've had enough. 

New Poster

Thanks for your feedback.  I will not pay for a service call when I know the problem is the X1 system and not my TV.  Comcast sent a contract installer to put in the X1, shouldn't they know what they are doing? I sure would think so....SOMEONE has to know how to fix this problem....

Problem Solver

Comcast Linda, thank you for joining the forum! I can assure that signal issues will cause x1 boxes to freeze . just because signals look good from your end doesn't mean they really are.
Problem Solver

Patty the only way for them to fix it is look at the files sent to the server, and see how many were corrupt. This takes a skilled Comcast tech to find these things in the field. Rest assured that they will give you a credit once the system works how it should.
Gold Problem Solver

Linda,

Welcome to the forum.

I need to agree with the pizzaman on this one. From everything we have been told, you cannot see ALL of the signal states on your end. You can only see a snapshot. However a field tech on-site can everything. Regardless, escalation or not, Patty's ultimate solution is going to come down to a service visit...

ComcastLinda wrote:

Patty, I had a look at your account and did not see any issues with signal levels, I escalated this to our advanced techs to see if they have a solution. I am sending the confirmation via private message. 

Contributor

Hello to you both and thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it!

I agree with you both, usually signal issues are the cause of most X1 freezing issues and a tech needs to be dispatched to fix these issues. 

In this case however, I looked at the snapshot levels and found all good levels which inspired me to look deeper into the embedded cable modem in the X1 box itself.  I have been a tech in the field for Comcast for over 10 years and have access to the same programs they use in the field.  I was able to bring up a 30 day history of the boxes in question and found perfect signal levels (US, DS, SNR, MER and BER) throughout except for a few days when they dropped into a caution state. This is the reason I wanted to escalate this specific acct to the people that can dig even deeper to see the corrupted files coming and going from the cable modem. I suggested the ticket before a truck roll first because I wanted to make sure it wasn’t something internal before we interrupt the customers’ day for an appointment. 

As stated above, I totally agree that a tech still may need to come out and we will be able to give a credit once everything is working correctly.

Problem Solver

ComcastLinda wrote:

Hello to you both and thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it!

I agree with you both, usually signal issues are the cause of most X1 freezing issues and a tech needs to be dispatched to fix these issues. 

In this case however, I looked at the snapshot levels and found all good levels which inspired me to look deeper into the embedded cable modem in the X1 box itself.  I have been a tech in the field for Comcast for over 10 years and have access to the same programs they use in the field.  I was able to bring up a 30 day history of the boxes in question and found perfect signal levels (US, DS, SNR, MER and BER) throughout except for a few days when they dropped into a caution state. This is the reason I wanted to escalate this specific acct to the people that can dig even deeper to see the corrupted files coming and going from the cable modem. I suggested the ticket before a truck roll first because I wanted to make sure it wasn’t something internal before we interrupt the customers’ day for an appointment. 

As stated above, I totally agree that a tech still may need to come out and we will be able to give a credit once everything is working correctly.

Linda when I had these same issues it took about three months and several visits. I finally got someone to my house that knew about the software to monitor the up and down files. Is this something that in the future can be automated, like software that could monitor all files and a flag could be sent to the local engineering team/line techs?

On the same note there must be a way to load a program that could be added to the current test equipment. something that installers use that would run x1 specific latency tests? If that is not possible maybe a hidden html5 app that can right on the x1 boxes that would run the test!

Rick and I are not saying this stuff for mud slinging purposes. We really want your product to work!

If you like I can go over with you many things that would cut down the cost of truck rolls, without costing much money to implement!

Shane out!

Regular Contributor

The most frustrating part of this is that it can work just fine for weeks, and then the same problems will come back.  We had great TV and internet service for a month or so, then spent a month fighting ... calls to tech support, online chats, etc.  Finally got a tech visit, who confirmed the signals were out of spec.  He replaced the drop from the pedestal to the house, and life was joyous for a week and a half (maybe more, dunno because we went on vacation for a week).  But when we got home, we are back to the multiple-daily reboots of the X1 (and cable modem, but it's frustrating how the two are separate when it comes to Comcast tech support).

Anyway, we have a tech coming again, so we'll see what he finds this time, and how long it lasts.

Very frustrating....

Silver Problem Solver

mohoelx wrote:

The most frustrating part of this is that it can work just fine for weeks, and then the same problems will come back.  We had great TV and internet service for a month or so, then spent a month fighting ... calls to tech support, online chats, etc.  Finally got a tech visit, who confirmed the signals were out of spec.  He replaced the drop from the pedestal to the house, and life was joyous for a week and a half (maybe more, dunno because we went on vacation for a week).  But when we got home, we are back to the multiple-daily reboots of the X1 (and cable modem, but it's frustrating how the two are separate when it comes to Comcast tech support).

Anyway, we have a tech coming again, so we'll see what he finds this time, and how long it lasts.

Very frustrating....

Work for weeks and the same probems will come back.

That sure sounds like "loading up the infrastructure with new installs and then work on the bottlenecks".

I could be totally off base on that observation, but it sure is a tempting thing to think.

I have only worked on mainframe networks, so I don't know the first thing about cable.  But the word "latency" also comes to mind.

I think we are experiencing "growing pains" with X1.  My remotes got "sluggish" tonight and a friend that lives in Clear Lake, TX, called and compalined about the same thing.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

Robert I think it is time to turn the gateways on and turn of the onboard modems! Comcast are you ready for this?

Problem Solver

Thank you for your input on Comcast Forums.  Due to no activity, post is closing.  Please feel free to start a new topic for your issue.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon