Community Forum

X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

New Poster

Re: X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

OMG! I am irritated

@FrankofAugusta wrote:
Here is the fix for subject matter. Problem can be resolved if you route the HDMI cable from the X1 box to the Receiver (not the TV), then another cable from the Receiver to the TV. 1. Locate the X1 box port that reads "HDMI to TV". 2. Connect a HDMI cable from this same X1 box port to the Receiver HDMI "IN" port - NOT THE TV. 3. Next connect another HDMI cable from the Receiver HDMI "OUT" port to the TV HDMI "IN" port. You can now adjust your Menu audio settings to "Surround" and it will remain set. Local Comcast X1 installers and the XFINITY online support representatives were not able to tell me how to 
Problem Solver

@agebreez wrote:

OMG! I am irritated

@FrankofAugusta wrote:
Here is the fix for subject matter. Problem can be resolved if you route the HDMI cable from the X1 box to the Receiver (not the TV), then another cable from the Receiver to the TV. 1. Locate the X1 box port that reads "HDMI to TV". 2. Connect a HDMI cable from this same X1 box port to the Receiver HDMI "IN" port - NOT THE TV. 3. Next connect another HDMI cable from the Receiver HDMI "OUT" port to the TV HDMI "IN" port. You can now adjust your Menu audio settings to "Surround" and it will remain set. Local Comcast X1 installers and the XFINITY online support representatives were not able to tell me how to 

What is the issue at hand? Typing OMG doesn't tell us what the issue is!

Frequent Visitor

@omatzyo wrote:

(This has not corrected the audio drop problem, which has actually gotten worse and now has concurrent video glitches)

Same here... sigh

Simultaneous Audio/Video glitches were pretty bad over the weekend.

In MSP market... Pace blue light (up to date on firm/software) -> Denon 1913 -> Panasonic 65st50

Tech visited 2 times assuring me that signals were all in spec. 

(I was actually fairly satisfied with X1 besides the stupid Audio stuff. Now if the video starts glitching more I don't know how long I will last). 

Gold Problem Solver

Get an Arris DVR. Problem will be solved.

@RudyRoo wrote:

@omatzyo wrote:

(This has not corrected the audio drop problem, which has actually gotten worse and now has concurrent video glitches)

Same here... sigh

Simultaneous Audio/Video glitches were pretty bad over the weekend.

In MSP market... Pace blue light (up to date on firm/software) -> Denon 1913 -> Panasonic 65st50

Tech visited 2 times assuring me that signals were all in spec. 

(I was actually fairly satisfied with X1 besides the stupid Audio stuff. Now if the video starts glitching more I don't know how long I will last). 

New Poster

Hey All,

Thanks for the suggestions and fixes here, especially RickGr4, lots of useful knowledge!

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I just got my X1 box and am experiencing it switching back to stereo consistently.  I don't want to switch to component to TV because then I can't view 3D content (my main reason for getting X1), so would rather be able to use HDMI somehow.

My setup is a Samsung Plasma (doesn't pass through 5.1) and a Vizio soundbar (has only optical or coaxial digital audio inputs).

The other main gripe I have here is that the X1 box does not completely power off (have to hit the button otherwise the autosensing on my soundbar keeps it on) - I could turn that off on the soundbar but it would make it less user friendly for others in the house.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! 

Gold Problem Solver

@albert1012 wrote:

Hey All,

Thanks for the suggestions and fixes here, especially RickGr4, lots of useful knowledge! You are welcome.

I just got my X1 box and am experiencing it switching back to stereo consistently.  I don't want to switch to component to TV because then I can't view 3D content (my main reason for getting X1), so would rather be able to use HDMI somehow. You should know that Comcast recently announced they plan to discontinue 3D content. Hard to believe but true.

My setup is a Samsung Plasma (doesn't pass through 5.1) and a Vizio soundbar (has only optical or coaxial digital audio inputs). You are correct. Samsung plasma TV's are great sets but they do not pass 5.1 audio to the digital output. The optical output of your X1 box will send 5.1 to your soundbar (this is changing on a daily basis). But you should check to see if your soundbar truely sounds better when the X1 box is set to surround.

The other main gripe I have here is that the X1 box does not completely power off (have to hit the button otherwise the autosensing on my soundbar keeps it on) - I could turn that off on the soundbar but it would make it less user friendly for others in the house. You have no fix on this, at least not from Comcast. Your only fix is buying a programmable universal remote control such as a Harmony 650. That would solve your concern here and make your system much easier to use at the same time.

@albert1012 wrote:

Hey All,

Thanks for the suggestions and fixes here, especially RickGr4, lots of useful knowledge!

I just got my X1 box and am experiencing it switching back to stereo consistently.  I don't want to switch to component to TV because then I can't view 3D content (my main reason for getting X1), so would rather be able to use HDMI somehow.

My setup is a Samsung Plasma (doesn't pass through 5.1) and a Vizio soundbar (has only optical or coaxial digital audio inputs).

The other main gripe I have here is that the X1 box does not completely power off (have to hit the button otherwise the autosensing on my soundbar keeps it on) - I could turn that off on the soundbar but it would make it less user friendly for others in the house.

@albert1012 wrote:

Hey All,

New Poster

Thanks Rick - it does sound a lot better with the DD than 2.1 - clearer and more balanced vocals and bass less emphasized.  The soundbar has separate rears so it is better than the simulated sound through stereo.

The 3D cancellation is news to me (not good but helpful in a way), so that decides it for me on how to have things hooked up.

I have a Harmony One somewhere that I never unpacked from a move so it sounds like it's time to find it Smiley Happy

Thanks again!

Gold Problem Solver

I have a Harmony One laying around somewhere and it is a superstar remote when properly programmed. Harmony has codes for X1 that work perfectly. I suggest you track down that remote and fire it up.

FYI Harmony One's have a known issues with the battery getting hot and swelling. If you can remove the battery you are fine. If you can't.... you have an issue.

Regular Visitor

Hi..sorry to ask a question if it has been asked, but I did not it. My X1 stays in surround mode once I set it there, however on some channels, even though my receiver says Dolby Digital, the sound only comes through the front side speakers. Is there a work around solution to this or do I have to get a new box, or is this just the way it is? A friend has the standard DVR box and he has Dolby Digital come through on the same channels I only get the front speaker sound through.???? Thank you.

Expert

@Rich0449 wrote:

Hi..sorry to ask a question if it has been asked, but I did not it. My X1 stays in surround mode once I set it there, however on some channels, even though my receiver says Dolby Digital, the sound only comes through the front side speakers. Is there a work around solution to this or do I have to get a new box, or is this just the way it is? A friend has the standard DVR box and he has Dolby Digital come through on the same channels I only get the front speaker sound through.???? Thank you.

there is a firmware (vers 2) being sent out now. It is slowly updating all the X1 boxes apparently region by region. 

A workaround is to go into settings(gear), device settings, audio, audio mode and toggle to stereo, then back to surround. From other threads it appears this will fix problem until next time the box reboots (including automatic reboot around 2:30 am every day).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi thanks....hopefully the firmware fixes this. Unfortunately toggeling does not help this...maybe someone else has a work around until I get the firmware, or if the firmware doesn't address this issue.

Gold Problem Solver

FYI,

Some shows are broadcast that way. Your 5.1 DD light turns on but the sound is stereo. CBS is a big culprit on this. Comcast is not alone and in this case it's not their fault. I have noticed the same issue with DirecTV.

@Rich0449 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

This post is a year ago and I am getting the same situation. I have reconfigured the setup, i.e. (1) HDMI to the TV, optical to the receiver (2) HDMI passthrough the receiver to the TV (3) HDMI to the receiver, optical from the receiver to the TV. All have the same result, the surround drops when you play a recorded program ( (and when you remains dropped when you return back to live programming). The receiver display reads "48 Linear PCM" as opposed to  "Dolby Digital 5.1". When you "re-select" surround on the box settings, surround will be then pushed even though it already is set, then drops. When is Comcast going to address this situation honestly, maybe too much data is dropping the surround? Who knows? Nobody is saying         

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Arris Box? what's this piece of junk I have that freezes twice a week? I thought you had to use what they gave you. As you can see in my previous post I have used every possible audio setup configuration as well as swapping out the box and result is the same, surround drops, my conclusion is that the box has some sort of software deficiency, what's this about a firmware update? Why doesn't Comcast post some sort of notice regarding this? Crappy customer service! 

Gold Problem Solver

An X1 box that is freezing up is having signal problems. Freezing is one of the ways X1 boxes react when there is something wrong with the signal they are receiving from Comcast or more likely, the signal they are returning back to Comcast.

It's not a software problem, it's a signal problem. Your issues are not unique to you. This happens to many new X1 customers. Call into Comcast and get a tech out to your house to correct your signal deficiencies.

FYI, if you start a trouble ticket with Comcast and get it escalated to tier 2, you can usually request a particular X1 box.

@tchokola wrote:

Arris Box? what's this piece of junk I have that freezes twice a week? I thought you had to use what they gave you. As you can see in my previous post I have used every possible audio setup configuration as well as swapping out the box and result is the same, surround drops, my conclusion is that the box has some sort of software deficiency, what's this about a firmware update? Why doesn't Comcast post some sort of notice regarding this? Crappy customer service! 

Frequent Visitor

OK, thanks, the "freezing" issue is incidental. I called the tier 1 people again regarding surround and they don't really "get it", they consider all callers to be half-wits; the box is clearly sending a 48 linear PCM signal when "surround" is selected! The person said Arris only makes modem boxes for Comcast...So I have been escalated to tier 2, and awaiting a response, this will either be resolved or I'm done with Comcast

Gold Problem Solver

If it makes you feel any better there is new firmware coming fairly soon that should resolve this for both Pace and Arris users. If you read through this forum you will see countless mentions of "2.0 firmware" and that is designed to improve/resolve this.

FYI, the veteran members of this forum know FAR more about X1 than anyone from Comcast who you would talk to over the phone. You best and most accurate info will be found right here. Sad but very true.

@tchokola wrote:

OK, thanks, the "freezing" issue is incidental. I called the tier 1 people again regarding surround and they don't really "get it", they consider all callers to be half-wits; the box is clearly sending a 48 linear PCM signal when "surround" is selected! The person said Arris only makes modem boxes for Comcast...So I have been escalated to tier 2, and awaiting a response, this will either be resolved or I'm done with Comcast

Frequent Visitor

Amazingly this did resolve the issue! Previously I had run the passthrough - but - ran an optical to the TV from the receiver. Running a (second) HDMI (for some reason) works and the surround does not drop, just in time for the playoffs. This did cause a residual problem, I could not listen to music and watch sports at the same time, resolved that by running an RGB from the box to the TV and changing the TV input. If the whole thing blows up, I'll be back with new rant. Jack 

Gold Problem Solver

Yes you will be back with a new rant...

@tchokola wrote:

Amazingly this did resolve the issue! Previously I had run the passthrough - but - ran an optical to the TV from the receiver. Running a (second) HDMI (for some reason) works and the surround does not drop, just in time for the playoffs. This did cause a residual problem, I could not listen to music and watch sports at the same time, resolved that by running an RGB from the box to the TV and changing the TV input. If the whole thing blows up, I'll be back with new rant. Jack 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, after a while  it dropped again, after testing it thoroughly, this is insidious, I'm almost intrigued by it. Removing and replacing the HDMI jacks reinstates the surround (until a recorded program is played, then all is dropped) even removing and replacing the HDMI jack from the Blu-Ray player that passes through the receiver reinstates surround, why in the world would that affect it? Somehow related to HDMI, but why after 10 years does it fail now? Got to be the X1 platform. Going to try one more configuration, running the HDMI to the TV and then HDMI out of the TV to the receiver, but clearly nothing is going to work, maybe wait for the 2.0 firmware, or call back the "tier 2" person that left me a message and request the "Arris" box, she offered to "refresh the box" obviously that has been done...

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

2.0 fixed my surround problem.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Robert - when did 2.0 arrive at your location?  I had it for one day on one of my DVR's about a week ago - but it was gone one a day later - never to return.

Gold Problem Solver

Jim,

I am not sure if 2.0 is being "officially" distributed yet. I think it maybe has been selectively leaked out. I have two different versions at the moment and while it fixed the issue of X1 boxes not "sticking" in surround mode after a reboot, I am still noticing a surround problem with the older version of 2.0. I am not ready to proclaim 2.0 as fixing everything we have been lead to believe it will fix.

I am concerned the main reason for 2.0 is more for compatibility with the voice control remote than it is surround audio bug fixes.

FYI, Ray the Geek has a newer Pace "v3" DVR and it came preloaded with 2.0.

@manamok wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Robert - when did 2.0 arrive at your location?  I had it for one day on one of my DVR's about a week ago - but it was gone one a day later - never to return.

Contributor

Dumb question: how can I tell what firmware version I have? I know how to get to the spec page in the settings, just not sure which listing refers specifically to the firmware version.

Thanks
Silver Problem Solver

There are two XRE and STB.  STB is the one that is going to 2.0.

STB is at 1.3.4 p4s1 on one of my DVR's. 

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Yes, I have the same version STB on mine. Thanks for the feedback. I've been running hdmi from the box to my tv for video only and optical from the box to my sis receiver without any issues. I do find that in the box audio settings, toggling back and forth between stereo and surround makes that change on my receiver. If I set the box to surround, all is good on my receiver even though the box will say stereo in the settings, it is actually set to surround as shown by the display on my receiver.

One issue I have been having for about the last 6 months is a loud popping noise that I get intermittently through the left and right front speakers of my ss system. It happens roughly 70% of the time and always within the first 10 minutes of turning on the system. Thinking that there was an issue with my receiver, I spoke with the owner of a local, well respected stereo repair shop. He asked if I had this issue with any other inputs. The only other input to the receiver is via digital coax directly from my blu-Ray player. I've never noticed the popping coming from the bluray but then again, we almost never fire up the system and pop in a disc right away. Usually the TV has been on for at least a few minutes prior to using the bluray. One thought I had as a way to test my stereo guys theory was to use the digital audio out (optical) on my tv and run the optical from the TV to the receiver. Of course the issue there is getting 5.1 to come to the TV from the cable box as well documented in this thread.
Contributor

Update to my post from a few minutes ago, the popping noise seems to be a receiver issue. I changed my audio input from the box to the receiver to the TV to the receiver and even though I was only getting stereo to the receiver from the TV, I still got the popping noise. Oh well, at least that's not another X11 issue to address.
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys

Wow, 177 or so posts in this thread alone, and this isn't even the only thread on this issue. 

Update from me - I'm almost used to the routine now of going to Xfinity device settings and reselecting "Surround Sound", each and every time I turn on the tv.  Note the setting does "stick" but the output associated to the setting does not.  Reselecting the Surround setting resolves the issue temporarily.  Next time I watch tv, it's the same routine.

It's sad indeed, and completely unacceptable, that I have become used to this reality.

In addition, I notice a periodic loss of sound, just for a split second, and it happens several times during any one program.  This happens on all HD channels.  Admittedly a little outside the immediate topic of discussion for this thread, but yet another example of the absolutely woeful inability of Comcast to provide their customers with a sound experience that befits all the hype Comcast likes to laud us with where Xfinity is concerned.

Well, Happy New Year everyone - or not if you're trying to enjoy glorious Dolby Digital sound with your Xfinity programming today!

Gold Problem Solver

Matt,

The upcoming "2.0 firmware" mentioned earlier is this thread should solve this issue for you... finally.

@mattsmithus wrote:

Hi guys

Wow, 177 or so posts in this thread alone, and this isn't even the only thread on this issue. 

Update from me - I'm almost used to the routine now of going to Xfinity device settings and reselecting "Surround Sound", each and every time I turn on the tv.  Note the setting does "stick" but the output associated to the setting does not.  Reselecting the Surround setting resolves the issue temporarily.  Next time I watch tv, it's the same routine.

It's sad indeed, and completely unacceptable, that I have become used to this reality.

In addition, I notice a periodic loss of sound, just for a split second, and it happens several times during any one program.  This happens on all HD channels.  Admittedly a little outside the immediate topic of discussion for this thread, but yet another example of the absolutely woeful inability of Comcast to provide their customers with a sound experience that befits all the hype Comcast likes to laud us with where Xfinity is concerned.

Well, Happy New Year everyone - or not if you're trying to enjoy glorious Dolby Digital sound with your Xfinity programming today!

Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

Jim,

I am not sure if 2.0 is being "officially" distributed yet. I think it maybe has been selectively leaked out. I have two different versions at the moment and while it fixed the issue of X1 boxes not "sticking" in surround mode after a reboot, I am still noticing a surround problem with the older version of 2.0. I am not ready to proclaim 2.0 as fixing everything we have been lead to believe it will fix.

I am concerned the main reason for 2.0 is more for compatibility with the voice control remote than it is surround audio bug fixes.

FYI, Ray the Geek has a newer Pace "v3" DVR and it came preloaded with 2.0.

Updtae:  my XG!v3 was preloaded with a pre-producyion 2.0 but some time last week, the full production 2.0 came down and it is runing and stable on it.  My XG1-A is NOT running the 2.0 no matter how many times I force a restart <VBG>

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@geek46 wrote:

Updtae:  my XG!v3 was preloaded with a pre-producyion 2.0 but some time last week, the full production 2.0 came down and it is runing and stable on it.  My XG1-A is NOT running the 2.0 no matter how many times I force a restart <VBG>

-=Ray=-

How do you tell the difference between pre-pro and pro?

Frequent Visitor

I'm a bitter and surly (but not yet melancholy) man. X1 tech person told me today that this is a "known issue" with a national ticket open and the 2.0 Firmware update scheduled for 01/20/2015 will resolve the issue.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:
How do you tell the difference between pre-pro and pro?

The STB stated pre_pro20 when it was installed.... it then loaded the production 2.0 about 11 days after install....

Expert

@tchokola wrote:

I'm a bitter and surly (but not yet melancholy) man. X1 tech person told me today that this is a "known issue" with a national ticket open and the 2.0 Firmware update scheduled for 01/20/2015 will resolve the issue.

So much for the previously reported 1/15/15 date I read somewhere in here.....

Frequent Visitor

I hear a whoosh as the 1/20 date goes flying by.  I cannot believe that every day I have to change my sound from surround to stereo and back to surround. I havent commented on this thread yet, but Ive been watching it closely.  What do I have to do to get some beta firmware?

Frequent Visitor

The 2nd tech guy I talked to said that the 1/20 date "sounds about right" and then closed my ticket despite my protests...I noticed that CC also drops when accessing recorded conten

Expert

@tchokola wrote:

The 2nd tech guy I talked to said that the 1/20 date "sounds about right" and then closed my ticket despite my protests...I noticed that CC also drops when accessing recorded conten

version 148.08 fixed that as well as match timing of the cc to the current scene.

New Poster

Months ago, RickGr4 posted that Samsung TVs have a known inability to pass 5.1 thru from HDMI input to their optical output. Do LG TVs have this same defect across the board? I have a new LG 60LB7011 which has this problem. I switched from a Comcast Pace HD DVR box to Arris XG-1, and the only effect was that the cable box output setting would stay in Surround mode, but it didn't make any difference--The only sound from my Marantz receiver was still stereo, if and only if the sound passed thru the LG TV. If the sound comes from the cable box to the receiver, it's 5.1. If the sound originates in the TV, streaming Netflix, then the TV optical output cable sends 5.1 to the Marantz receiver.

I got an LG BluRay to connect to the Marantz coax input, but it now reproduces only stereo too! I would have sworn it was 5.1 when I first hooked the BluRay to the Marantz via coax. I know my old DVD had surround sound thru the coax input to the same receiver.

I'm thinking of getting an optical cable switch, as I can't unplug the cable physically each time I want to switch input to the receiver, as the equipment is built in. I'd switch between optical cable from the Arris box, from the TV, and from a different BluRay with an optical output, if that's what it takes.

BTW, neither Comcast nor LG seem to know about this issue at tier 1 or 2. (How many tiers does it take to answer a question?)
Gold Problem Solver

It's not an "issue" or a problem or a design defect. It's the way these TV's are built and if you looked at their spec sheets carefully you would see it. The only thing that anyone did wrong here is assuming something. To my knowledge, Sony is the only exception to this issue along with some Toshiba sets. Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and LG have not been passing 5.1 audio for some time if ever. Buyer beware.

If you have an AV receiver with HDMI switching I cannot see a reason why you would not use that capability. All X1 boxes seem to handle surround properly when you connect them to an HDMI receiver. If your Marantz receiver does not have HDMI switching you should still be OK depending upon which X1 box you have. Also, when the upcoming 2.0 firmware rolls out it should fix all of this on all X1 boxes.

@gr8jibe wrote:
Months ago, RickGr4 posted that Samsung TVs have a known inability to pass 5.1 thru from HDMI input to their optical output. Do LG TVs have this same defect across the board? I have a new LG 60LB7011 which has this problem. I switched from a Comcast Pace HD DVR box to Arris XG-1, and the only effect was that the cable box output setting would stay in Surround mode, but it didn't make any difference--The only sound from my Marantz receiver was still stereo, if and only if the sound passed thru the LG TV. If the sound comes from the cable box to the receiver, it's 5.1. If the sound originates in the TV, streaming Netflix, then the TV optical output cable sends 5.1 to the Marantz receiver.

I got an LG BluRay to connect to the Marantz coax input, but it now reproduces only stereo too! I would have sworn it was 5.1 when I first hooked the BluRay to the Marantz via coax. I know my old DVD had surround sound thru the coax input to the same receiver.

I'm thinking of getting an optical cable switch, as I can't unplug the cable physically each time I want to switch input to the receiver, as the equipment is built in. I'd switch between optical cable from the Arris box, from the TV, and from a different BluRay with an optical output, if that's what it takes.

BTW, neither Comcast nor LG seem to know about this issue at tier 1 or 2. (How many tiers does it take to answer a question?)

Contributor

Without getting into too much detai, I have found that the best way to interface with the X1 boxes is to run the audio directly from the box to your receiver. I do this via optical on my set up and it also addresses the issue of the box outputting stereo vs surround.
Contributor

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question that I'm not sure where to post and I'm sure the contributors to this thread will know the answer I'm looking for. I need a new bluray player and I'm looking at one of the new Sonys that have the pyramid shaped top. That will mean that I'll have to put the bluray player on top of my X1 box. Does anyone think this will present a heat or ventilation issue? The rest of my cabinet is fairly wide open so there's plenty of air flow around the units. Thanks for any feedback on this and again, sorry for going off topic. Figured it would give us something to discuss while we all wait for the 2.0 update- lol.
Frequent Visitor

The surround issue has resolved for 24 hours now, no STB update has posted though, seems some sort of "push" was sent out, see what happens I guess. Now I remember that although the HD stations are nominally "surround" most don't transmit 5 discrete channels.

New Poster

I was waiting for this to solve my problem, which existed despite running HDMI through my Denon AVR to my Panasonic Viera TV as suggested here. Doesn't matter, upon cycling everything down and back up, I have to re-select Surround to turn it back on.

Not fixed by new firmware. Not fixed by routing through AVR (I always did anyway). Looks like I'm going the optical route. What lousy engineering this is.

Gold Problem Solver

Does your Denon and your Panasonic have the latest updates???

@BrBill wrote:

I was waiting for this to solve my problem, which existed despite running HDMI through my Denon AVR to my Panasonic Viera TV as suggested here. Doesn't matter, upon cycling everything down and back up, I have to re-select Surround to turn it back on.

Not fixed by new firmware. Not fixed by routing through AVR (I always did anyway). Looks like I'm going the optical route. What lousy engineering this is.

Frequent Visitor

This issue was resolved with the STB 2.0 update (finally). As the engineer told me "the problem is on our side" so no reconfiguring will otherwise resolve the issue. It's done for me, over and out!

Silver Problem Solver

@BrBill wrote:

Receiver Native Version 2.0.0 fixed my stereo/surround issue.

X1 Pace DVR HDMI to Onkyo TX-NR626

Samsung 3D LED TV HDMI to Onkyo TX-NR626

AnyNet  (HDMI-CEC) turned off in Samsung

Frequent Visitor

So is the consensus that Comcast refuses to fix this issue or they're too incompetent?

I tried to read the entire thread but have a life. Smiley Wink In the many posts I've read I've only read about the surround swtiching back to stereo problem, which I have also. Am I the only person here that tried mono mode? It also reverts to stereo...

New Poster

This former post answered the same question you posted for me, from RickGr... :

<<It's not an "issue" or a problem or a design defect. It's the way these TV's are built and if you looked at their spec sheets carefully you would see it. The only thing that anyone did wrong here is assuming something. To my knowledge, Sony is the only exception to this issue along with some Toshiba sets. Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and LG have not been passing 5.1 audio for some time if ever. Buyer beware.>>

Then I knew to give up on routing sound thru the TV.  If you are routing directly to the receiver, you should be able to get surround.

Frequent Visitor

@gr8jibe wrote:

<<It's not an "issue" or a problem or a design defect. It's the way these TV's are built and if you looked at their spec sheets carefully you would see it. The only thing that anyone did wrong here is assuming something. To my knowledge, Sony is the only exception to this issue along with some Toshiba sets. Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and LG have not been passing 5.1 audio for some time if ever. Buyer beware.>>

Then I knew to give up on routing sound thru the TV.  If you are routing directly to the receiver, you should be able to get surround.

So Samsung and others label an HDMI port as ARC then add in an optical jack just as marketing BS? And in addition won't pass MONO either. My only non-rhetorical question was why my X1 nonDVR box resets both surround and mono to stereo immediately after close the Audio menu...

Gold Problem Solver

Maybe you might want to read this thread: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/td-p/2400405

I have a feeling that if you read this entire thread you will find an answer to any question you may have.

X1 audio issues are now two years old. There are threads running back that long. gleotti you happened to tag on to one of the trivial threads in regards to X1 audio issues.

Please read the link to the thread I just posted. Pay special attention to post #393. If that doesn't answer your questions do a forum search on surround audio. You will find plenty of reading material.

@gleotti wrote:

@gr8jibe wrote:

So Samsung and others label an HDMI port as ARC then add in an optical jack just as marketing BS? And in addition won't pass MONO either. My only non-rhetorical question was why my X1 nonDVR box resets both surround and mono to stereo immediately after close the Audio menu...