Community Forum

X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

Thanks Rick. I read first page of that thread the noticed 8 more! In Neal's initial post he states:

X1 set top boxes will check all HDMI connected devices for their surround capabilities by looking at their “EDID” (Extended Display Identification Data). If surround is not available from the end device, the box will force a stereo output. We are currently not showing any messaging when the audio mode is defaulted back to stereo mode if a surround capable device’s EDID is not detected via HDMI. Our goal is to display messaging in future software releases to inform the customer that their end-audio device is not supported for use with surround sound. If an X1 box is connected via HDMI to a surround sound receiver and a customer is still only able to output a stereo (PCM) signal a customer may experience the following.

I'm a programmer of over 25 years though not with audio/video gear. But the bolded bits above sound as if all HDMI ports are polled and then the "end device" is used. Do you know if end device means TV that X1 HDMI is hooked to? If so it seems like the least capable device is used instead of the HDMI/ARC device that does surround. Off to read and maybe get the answer to that along with all my sound questions.

Gold Problem Solver

Neal is super and we miss him in this forum but he was incorrect when he said "end device". You should disregard that. Neal was fairly new to X1 when he said that. If you reread my post #393 and follow it you will see that Neal verified my comments.

X1 boxes auto negotiate the first HDMI device they see. Comcast is doing this in an effort to "foolproof' X1. Personally I think it is a HUGE mistake and I have never wavered from my opinion on that.

Also, please be aware the many TVs do not pass 5.1 audio on the ARC channel...

@gleotti wrote:

Thanks Rick. I read first page of that thread the noticed 8 more! In Neal's initial post he states:

X1 set top boxes will check all HDMI connected devices for their surround capabilities by looking at their “EDID” (Extended Display Identification Data). If surround is not available from the end device, the box will force a stereo output. We are currently not showing any messaging when the audio mode is defaulted back to stereo mode if a surround capable device’s EDID is not detected via HDMI. Our goal is to display messaging in future software releases to inform the customer that their end-audio device is not supported for use with surround sound. If an X1 box is connected via HDMI to a surround sound receiver and a customer is still only able to output a stereo (PCM) signal a customer may experience the following.

I'm a programmer of over 25 years though not with audio/video gear. But the bolded bits above sound as if all HDMI ports are polled and then the "end device" is used. Do you know if end device means TV that X1 HDMI is hooked to? If so it seems like the least capable device is used instead of the HDMI/ARC device that does surround. Off to read and maybe get the answer to that along with all my sound questions.

Frequent Visitor

I just received and hooked up my X1 box a couple of weeks ago.  I am connecting to a Rotel RSP1570 sound processor.  If I leave the X1 in stereo mode then the processor will break it up in for my 5.1 system.  The default for the processor is DTS Neo: 6.  If I change the X1 box to surround using HDMI I only get three sound channels (Center, Left and Right).  When I called Comcast support they told me that they cannot debug my sound system.  They offered to send a technician out but then told me that if he finds nothing wrong then I will be charge a $29 service charge.  I told them no and hung up on them.  The only way to get Comcast to live up to their rightful existence is to basically get some real competition.  Unfortunately CenturyLink is even worse.

Frequent Visitor

My X1 was put in service yesterday and with the latest firmware, my BOSE life style 48 still shows Stereo even though I choose srround.HDMI from TV to DVR, Componet to BOSE.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

This problem was solved months ago with the "2.0" STB upgrade, at least in my area. Same setup I have HDMI to TV and Optical to receiver

Gold Problem Solver

Did you run a TOSLINK fiber optic digital audio cable from the X1 box to the Bose system???

@Jackielynn1 wrote:

My X1 was put in service yesterday and with the latest firmware, my BOSE life style 48 still shows Stereo even though I choose srround.HDMI from TV to DVR, Componet to BOSE.

Thanks

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

After a little research on the no 5.1 SURROUND from a Comcast X1 set top box problem, here's what I found.

1. Most set-ups have no problem if the HDMI is routed through an AV receiver to the TV. This requires the AV receiver to be on when watching TV.

2. Most TVs do not pass on a 5.1 signal through the audio out system after receiving the original signal via HDMI. They will often send along a 5.1 surround signal if they are receiving an over-the-air broadcast and using their internal tuner.

3. The digital audio out ports on many Comcast set-top boxes will sent out an audio signal as determined by a handshake with the HDMI port. If your HDMI is going directly to your TV, that is likely stereo only.

4. Some set-top boxes can be set to send out surround but because of firmware problems it reverts to stereo whenever a new HDMI handshake is required (usually on/off).

5. There are some unusual (cost?) hardware fixes like switches etc. that negate the handshake back from your TV that may allow the audio out to stay in surround.

The result of all this is that different set-ups will have varied success getting 5.1 surround consistently from a Comcast X1 cable box. There may be a firmware fix in the works but I have no information on that directly.

Silver Problem Solver

FYI,  the only correct way to use an a/v receiver with the X1 box is to put it between the X1 box and the TV.

X! out a/v receiver in a/v receiver out TV in

That is the only way an a/v receiver can output 5.1.

I don't know of any TV's that can output 5.1 - they only have two speakers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I have the same problem.  The X1 does not output Dolby digital over HDMI.  Mine will output Dolby Digital over Optic cable but this requires me to change the reciever input and is not convenient.  I had a Comcast tech visit.  I showed him that my old box worked fine but the new X1 does not.  After calls to his manager, he said it is a problem but could offer no timetable for a fix and there is no way for Comcast to notify when a solution is developed.  

Months have gone by and I keep hoping a restart will load the firmware correction to no avail. 

#Comcast SHAMEFUL

Gold Problem Solver

Please read the thread you posted in. Especially the two posts right above yours.
Frequent Visitor

If you are still experiencing this problem, I would safely assume that there is something wrong in the way your components are connected.  Look at the post above your original post.  I agree with this.

I was an early adopter of the X1 box in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The problem was real and it took a long time before it was corrected.  Built IT IS corrected.

I say this having had the problem on my original and first X1 box (green power light), and was fixed.  I now have a newer box (blue power light) because the old one was getting loud and it was about to die.  I am not having any Dolby 5.1 audio sound output issues at all.  Happy to say everything works; still could use improvement though.

New Poster

You are wrong.  It does not work via HDMI.

Gold Problem Solver

Maybe not how your set up is currently connected. Please provide the model numbers of your gear and EXACTLY how it is connected.

Someone is wrong here and I have a pretty good idea who it is.

Please provide model and connection information and we will help you.
Frequent Visitor

From my X1 box, I have HDMI out connected to HDMI input on my A/V receiver; TV out to TV In on Samsung TV.  Dolby Surround audio is being processed correctly through the receiver and to the proper speakers. All indicators are lit up and it shows Dolby Digital on the display. If the source was not broadcasting surround, my display would read, TV Stereo.  I have an Onkyo 7.1 pre/pro.

Yeah, I don't mind helping if you can give details of your equipment and diagram all the connections. It's easy to diagnose with that information.  Up to you if you want our help.

New Poster

I've been dealing with Xfinity support since the day I got x1.  The problem does not happen in your setup- x1 hdmi out to processor hdmi in, processor hdmi out to TV hdmi in.  The problem only exists if you have x1 hdmi out directly to tv hdmi in and x1 optical out to processor optical in.  Since TV is stereo the x1 defaults to stereo.

Xfinity customer service people have no clue.  They don't check these forums.  They have know way to, or choose not to, check if this is or has been a reported issue.  My recent rep said she personally has never heard this complaint before, but of course did not bother checking with anyone else.  I told her she might want to check the forums because it's been reported since 2013. Between this, loss of buffer when recording, terrible customer service and a tech team that is unresponsive, I am going back to fios.  I'll miss the rf/voice control remote, but that's it. Yes, we all could buy new processors and the issue would go away, but why should we? Just let us set audio out to default to surround and we can stop wasting time on this forum.

Gold Problem Solver

Legolamb,

In regards to your audio concerns, your answers are contained within this thread.... Many times actually. I suggest you do some reading starting with my post at #393....
Contributor

So I'm wondering what the current status is with regards to this issue.

I still have an 'old' comcast box, and they keep giving me offers to upgrade to X1.

My current device setup wioth the 'old' box is as follows

Box -> TV via HDMI (video)

Box -> Receiver via Optical (audio)

No issues with 5.1 decoding

Will this setup still work with the 'new' X1 box in MA? From reading through the threads it is confusing as to who actually has success.  Unfortunately I can't connect HDMI through my receiver, so it has to be as mentioned above with hdmi video to the tv and optical audio to the receiver.

Frequent Visitor

Resolved for X1 couple of years ago with 2.0 update
New Poster

Yes - My HDMI is connected to my TV.  Optic cable then delivers the signal to the reciever.  As I showed the technician who came out, the old cable box worked perfectly with this configuration.  Just pluging the old box into the same HDMI cable made it work.  After calling his supierior he told me that this is a problem with the system.  I asked him how I could file an official complaint but was told there is no way to do so.  I then aksed to be notified when the problem is solved.  I was told there is no way to do so.  

I should not have to switch inputs on my reciever when switching between smart TV and cable.  SHAME ON COMCAST for such bad development and poor (actually no) response to customer complaints.  SHAME ON COMCAST for having no way to report these issues.  Without feedback there inept development team has no way to understand being faced by their customers. 

Ray

Gold Problem Solver

Make and model number of your TV?

I am wondering if you know the difference between analog surround and Dolby Digital. In your old set up you may have been getting surround but I am guessing it was analog surround.

FYI just because an old Comcast box worked means nothing. X1 boxes detect and handle HDMI differently.

HOWEVER your solution is contained in the thread you posted in. You need to read my post at 393.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the info and glad to hear that the current F/W allows forcing 5.1 surround out through the optical toslink even with HDMI connected to a tv. Smiley Happy

Guess I'll jump on the X1 bandwagon and upgrade from this old clunker of a comcast box.