Community Forum

X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

This is currently the biggest problem with Comcast and X1. Brandon is dismissing this as being a third party problem when it is not. It is very much a Comcast problem. 3rd party audio just makes it easier to notice.

Brandon I refuse to let you play this card and I will fight you at every turn on this. If you don't like it either block me from this forum or prove me wrong.

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Dillinger

Comcast does not troubleshoot 3rd party audio equipment.  So for those issues I would suggest to read here in the forums for user-resolutions with home theater systems.

Another issue I read was how the boxes process the sound before they HDMI output.  I can't comment on that issue besides helping you set it to Surround Vs Stereo

If there's a specific issue you'd like me to comment on, let me know.  Find the post and I can reach out to my managers to find a better answer for you.

Thanks

Brandon

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

This is currently the biggest problem with Comcast and X1. Brandon is dismissing this as being a third party problem when it is not. It is very much a Comcast problem. 3rd party audio just makes it easier to notice.

Brandon I refuse to let you play this card and I will fight you at every turn on this. If you don't like it either block me from this forum or prove me wrong.

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Dillinger

Comcast does not troubleshoot 3rd party audio equipment.  So for those issues I would suggest to read here in the forums for user-resolutions with home theater systems.

Another issue I read was how the boxes process the sound before they HDMI output.  I can't comment on that issue besides helping you set it to Surround Vs Stereo

If there's a specific issue you'd like me to comment on, let me know.  Find the post and I can reach out to my managers to find a better answer for you.

Thanks

Brandon

This all seems completely illogical to me. How could a AVR be third party. It is like saying the tv or projector is 3rd party!

Let me put it this way. If I turned on my projector/TV and had a bad image coming from the tv, and it was an issue with the cable box putting out a bad signal. Is it then a third party issue?

The same process should be taken for sound as well. In our package we are guaranteed S.S. when available from said network.

So why is sound treated like the redhead step child? Just because the nuthead who programed the sound for ARRIS and PACE has a soundbar from walmart doesn't mean that we should suffer!

To sum up my rant ..If our avr does not get the proper feed than our avr will never work right!

Gold Problem Solver

It would seem Brandon and Comcast are looking for 3rd party scapegoats. I would be happy to make this much easier for Comcast. Please send a team of "engineers" to my house. I look forward to the opportunity to prove Comcast wrong...

@gotpizza wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Dillinger

Thanks

Brandon

This all seems completely illogical to me. How could a AVR be third party. It is like saying the tv or projector is 3rd party!

Let me put it this way. If I turned on my projector/TV and had a bad image coming from the tv, and it was an issue with the cable box putting out a bad signal. Is it then a third party issue?

The same process should be taken for sound as well. In our package we are guaranteed S.S. when available from said network.

So why is sound treated like the redhead step child? Just because the nuthead who programed the sound for ARRIS and PACE has a soundbar from walmart doesn't mean that we should suffer!

To sum up my rant ..If our avr does not get the proper feed than our avr will never work right!

Problem Solver

Rick I think it is a long flight from India to MSP....lol

What was that movie..oh ya "gung ho"

Problem Solver

Rick

I read back in this forum to try and see what your specific issue is.  It seems the main complaint is how the X1 boxes process audio between Stereo and Surround? If I didn't summarize it correctly, please help me out.

I'd like to direct you to two documents

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/troubleshoot-home-theater-receivers/       The last sentence here shows us that not all Dolby Digital programs feature full 5.1 programming.  This comes from the station themselves, not Comcast

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/troubleshooting-audio-issues-with-xfinity-tv/ ... As per what I said earlier about Comcast not troubleshooting 3rd party audio, this doc clearly states were Comcast suggests the user connect the box directly to the TV.

I hope those docs help to provide some clarity.  And Rick, if you can get that #1 X1 complaint into a sentence I can work with my managers to reach a resolution for you. 

Brandon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Brandon,

I am not going to play this game with you. You don't have enough experience or the proper equipment to test for these problems. Send some engineers to my house and I would be happy to demonstrate all of the issues.

By the way, I just looked at the generic links you posted and I was aware of that information 25 years ago. I teach that stuff to others...

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Rick

I read back in this forum to try and see what your specific issue is.  It seems the main complaint is how the X1 boxes process audio between Stereo and Surround? If I didn't summarize it correctly, please help me out.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/troubleshoot-home-theater-receivers/       The last sentence here shows us that not all Dolby Digital programs feature full 5.1 programming.  This comes from the station themselves, not Comcast

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/troubleshooting-audio-issues-with-xfinity-tv/ ... As per what I said earlier about Comcast not troubleshooting 3rd party audio, this doc clearly states were Comcast suggests the user connect the box directly to the TV.

I hope those docs help to provide some clarity.  And Rick, if you can get that #1 X1 complaint into a sentence I can work with my managers to reach a resolution for you. 

Brandon

Problem Solver

Brandon. those links bring me to something that mentions the word VCR more than one time. After reading it was clearly something written for a box designed by Ted Turner from 1985!

We are not posting things here to call you or anyone out.  Please understand there is more than enough reading material on this forum that would prove that the sound issues are not fixed

Gold Problem Solver

Brandon,

Better yet, why don't you send me a spread sheet of all of the current open and unresolved X1 trouble tickets. I am guessing I could either solve or provide important input on 75% of them...

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

Brandon,

Better yet, why don't you send me a spread sheet of all of the current open and unresolved X1 trouble tickets. I am guessing I could either solve or provide important input on 75% of them...

rick this is where the trouble tickets are!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lost+notebook+tube+pile&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5g4uVNzcBtfDggT...

Gold Problem Solver

Thanks for that pizza. I needed a laugh considering tonights football game...

@gotpizza wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Brandon,

rick this is where the trouble tickets are!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lost+notebook+tube+pile&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5g4uVNzcBtfDggT...

Problem Solver

I thought the packer won right? lol!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Brandon,

Can you add anything regarding the X1 DVR losing 5.1 surround?

The X1 DVR has an option to provide mono, stereo, and surround.  It has nothing to do with an A/V receiver.  It is an X1 DVR issue.

This is a recent problem with the X1 DVR.  I got mine in June of 2013 and I didn't have the problem until recently.  

BTW, I never lost surround with my RNG200/RNG200N.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Brandon,

If you look at message 109 in this thread, I have written a "summary" of the current audio issues with X1: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/A-New-Audio-Problem/td-p/2280593/page/3

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Rick

Brandon

Problem Solver

Everyone-

ComcastBrandon is here to assist if he can and communicate your trouble issues to the correct team if he is unable to resolve. Please be mindful his troublshooting tips are for all customers who visit the forums from newbies and experts. Let's continue to stay on topic and show respect for all who visits the forums. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastLarry,

Your position is not acceptable. The audio and surround issues in regards to X1 are now well over one year old. Either assign a "pro" to this issue or give forum veterans such as myself access to someone that can effect change...

Your statement here is just another reason why this forum needs direct access to the X1 engineers.

@ComcastLarry wrote:

Everyone-

ComcastBrandon is here to assist if he can and communicate your trouble issues to the correct team if he is unable to resolve. Please be mindful his troublshooting tips are for all customers who visit the forums from newbies and experts. Let's continue to stay on topic and show respect for all who visits the forums. 

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastLarry,

Let me remind you of something. DVD Players have been getting surround audio right for more than 20 years. Blu-ray players have been getting surround audio right for more than five years. Even Comcast legacy boxes have been getting surround audio right for more than eight years.

Yet I am paying $120 per month for Comcast's current state of the art X1 service but surround audio still doesn't work right and Comcast has known about it since May 2013? Let's not forget the horrible audio sync problems Companion boxes have....

Sorry Larry and Brandon but you aren't going to get any sympathy from me on this one...

@ComcastLarry wrote:

Everyone-

Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

ComcastLarry,

Let me remind you of something. DVD Players have been getting surround audio right for more than 20 years. Blu-ray players have been getting surround audio right for more than five years. Even Comcast legacy boxes have been getting surround audio right for more than eight years.

Yet I am paying $120 per month for Comcast's current state of the art X1 service but surround audio still doesn't work right and Comcast has known about it since May 2013? Let's not forget the horrible audio sync problems Companion boxes have....

Sorry Larry and Brandon but you aren't going to get any sympathy from me on this one...

Rick I have had a Denon and a Samsung TV since the X1 DVR was installed in June of 2013. The first thing I noticed when X1 DVR was turned on is that the Denon displayed Stereo instead of Digital Dolby. So the Comcast Tech switched it to surround and it was Digital Dolby again. I have had to switch the surround on the X1 everyday to get the Digital Dolby again for several months now. My question to you is have you considered using the new TiVo and if not why?

Gold Problem Solver

I have a fair amount of hands on experience with TiVo. I have considered going to TiVo (I am in the business so I can get a bit of a discount on TiVo hardware) and I have also considered going back to Comcast legacy gear.

My current "deal" with Comcast runs through the end of the year. Unless MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS to X1 happen between now and then, I will leave X1 at the end of the year. Fixes to major issues (such as the surround audio problems) are taking far too long. I have been part of the X1 experiment for over a year and my patience has begun to run thin. Add to that I have made COUNTLESS attempts to reach out to Comcast employees about offering my help with X1 (I know what is wrong with the surround audio problems) yet I have not received ONE SINGLE RESPONSE from a Comcast employee in regards to my offer of assistance.

The X1 ship is floundering and taking on water. It's not sinking quite yet but in my eyes it may as well be. I am just about done with X1...

@POinKaty wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

ComcastLarry,

Rick I have had a Denon and a Samsung TV since the X1 DVR was installed in June of 2013. The first thing I noticed when X1 DVR was turned on is that the Denon displayed Stereo instead of Digital Dolby. So the Comcast Tech switched it to surround and it was Digital Dolby again. I have had to switch the surround on the X1 everyday to get the Digital Dolby again for several months now. My question to you is have you considered using the new TiVo and if not why?

Contributor

Rick thanks for the response. In June of 2013 I recieved 1 X1 DVR and 3 companion boxes thinking thats all I needed to watch and rewind live TV, but I found out that the companion boxes won't do that. So they brought me another X1 DVR so I could watch and rewind live TV in a secondary room. I had aTiVo with the X1 DVR back in December of 2013 thru April 2014 and decided to stick with only the X1 platform for the same reasons as you have, the deal I have with Comcast. I gave the TiVo to my son who uses it with another cable company in SA. I never connected the TiVo to the Denon, I used it as a secondary DVR hooked up with the WiFi feature on the TiVo. After I gave it to my son in SA my other son in CS with another cable company got a TiVo that belongs to the cable company along with a Mini TiVo and I found out that the Mini will allow you to rewind live TV. This is what I thought the companion boxes with X1 would do but they don't. I have always thought that the X1 DVR isn't compatable with the Denon, but after reading some of the audio problems on this thread I think it must be the X1 DVR. I have to turn on the TV first then the Denon so that the X1 DVR will display 1080/60. I have HDMI going from the X1 DVR to the Denon and then HDMI from the Denon to the TV, this is so the the onscreen display from the Denon will work. There are things that I like about the X1 platform, but I am frustrated with the changes they keep making that takes away features that I like. By the way Best But has been out and checked the way everything is hooked up and are baffled by the way X1 DVR works or doesn't.

Gold Problem Solver

I know why X1 does and does not work (at least in regards to surround audio). If Comcast knows what is wrong(I doubt they do) they clearly haven't taken the time to fix it or don't know how to fix it.

@POinKaty wrote:

Rick thanks for the response. In June of 2013 I recieved 1 X1 DVR and 3 companion boxes thinking thats all I needed to watch and rewind live TV, but I found out that the companion boxes won't do that. So they brought me another X1 DVR so I could watch and rewind live TV in a secondary room. I had aTiVo with the X1 DVR back in December of 2013 thru April 2014 and decided to stick with only the X1 platform for the same reasons as you have, the deal I have with Comcast. I gave the TiVo to my son who uses it with another cable company in SA. I never connected the TiVo to the Denon, I used it as a secondary DVR hooked up with the WiFi feature on the TiVo. After I gave it to my son in SA my other son in CS with another cable company got a TiVo that belongs to the cable company along with a Mini TiVo and I found out that the Mini will allow you to rewind live TV. This is what I thought the companion boxes with X1 would do but they don't. I have always thought that the X1 DVR isn't compatable with the Denon, but after reading some of the audio problems on this thread I think it must be the X1 DVR. I have to turn on the TV first then the Denon so that the X1 DVR will display 1080/60. I have HDMI going from the X1 DVR to the Denon and then HDMI from the Denon to the TV, this is so the the onscreen display from the Denon will work. There are things that I like about the X1 platform, but I am frustrated with the changes they keep making that takes away features that I like. By the way Best But has been out and checked the way everything is hooked up and are baffled by the way X1 DVR works or doesn't.

Problem Solver

As this thread progress ComcastBrandon or myself are not look for sympathy. Please stay on topic and obey the Forum guidelines. As for this issue we are working with the correct team for a quick resolution. Once I receive an update I will pass on. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

All,

I can see that this has been going on for months.

The problem of "Surround" setting drop out on  X1 DVR system is real and it is current. My home theater set-up feeds digital sound via optical Toslink to an older Denon receiver. I have had the X1 for several months without awareness of a problem because the installer just set audio on "stereo" audio out setting. When I discovered that I was not getting Dolby Digital 5.1, I changed setting and started getting sound drop out problems. Several facts/ observations:

• I have new TV and now use HDMI for Video direct to the TV instead of Component Video to TV in last set-up
  • I have the X1 Blue Light box (PACE) with STB Version PX001AN_1.3.4p3s3_PRODse
  • I am able to set the audio to "surround" for channels that do broadcast digital Dolby and I get quality full 5.1 sound from those  cable channels.
  • However, on some advertisements that are not broadcast with digital sound, I lose sound altogether – none (It is the “ad muting” that my wife and I wish we could turn on, but I suspect Comcast network clients and their advertisers would “go nuts” if you provided that option)
    • When the digital signal comes back on the network program, or on another ad that has digital sound, the 5.1 sound comes back.
    • Sometimes the sound works for 5 or 10 seconds on those ads before it drops out
    • If I initiate an auto select on the receiver during the silent ad I get no sound and the selection remains on Dolby 5.1. It acts as if there is no sound signal to decode.
  • There are a number of cable channels that apparently don’t have Dolby 5.1 and there is no sound on those channels from the X1 box with “surround” output selected.
    • To get sound I either have to select “Stereo” out on X1 box or go to another receiver source channel with a Toslink feed from the TV that it is getting via the HDMI from the X1 box and feeding an “analog” only output.

With the earlier Comcast STB DVR the sound output apparently maintain a signal to allow toggle back and forth between Dolby digital 5.1 and analog ProLogic to maintain constant sound and no action on my part when switching between channels – On Demand or whatever. That is the programming (behavior) that we need to enjoy.

Please let us know what can be done and when.

TomV2

Frequent Visitor

Groan.   I just had the X1 platform installed yesterday.  One DVR, and three companion boxes.  I was pleasantly surprised when the tech showed up right on time, and the insall process was flawless.   I spent most of the day setting up the devices to my liking, testing out On Demand, and was impressed that everything was working better than I expected.  Awesome.

Until....

Sat down to watch a recorded program, via a companion box.  RNG-150N with the green light.  Hmm... why is it playing this show in Stereo?  I know I configured Surround in the settings.   I double checked my settings.  It shows surround sound.   Odd, now Live TV is only outputting Stereo.  Wasn't this same channel (HBO HD) outputting 5.1 a few minutes ago?

I rebooted the box, and confirmed that 5.1 has returned for Live TV.  I then attempted to play the same recorded show, and it's back to Stereo.  Ugh.  A quick forum search led me here, and my heart sank to read this has been an ongoing issue for a year.  I am connected via HDMI.  I see there are a few workarounds, but a TOSLINK cable isn't feasible for me with my current set up.

I then moved to a different room and attempted to watch the same program on the XG1-A DVR, and confirmed that the same recorded show plays fine, in all its 5.1 glory.

Hopefully Comcast will issue a fix.  It's disheartening to read most of the official responses in this thread are somewhat dismissive of the problem.

Expert

@gjschmidt wrote:

Groan.   I just had the X1 platform installed yesterday.  One DVR, and three companion boxes.  I was pleasantly surprised when the tech showed up right on time, and the insall process was flawless.   I spent most of the day setting up the devices to my liking, testing out On Demand, and was impressed that everything was working better than I expected.  Awesome.

Until....

Sat down to watch a recorded program, via a companion box.  RNG-150N with the green light.  Hmm... why is it playing this show in Stereo?  I know I configured Surround in the settings.   I double checked my settings.  It shows surround sound.   Odd, now Live TV is only outputting Stereo.  Wasn't this same channel (HBO HD) outputting 5.1 a few minutes ago?

I rebooted the box, and confirmed that 5.1 has returned for Live TV.  I then attempted to play the same recorded show, and it's back to Stereo.  Ugh.  A quick forum search led me here, and my heart sank to read this has been an ongoing issue for a year.  I am connected via HDMI.  I see there are a few workarounds, but a TOSLINK cable isn't feasible for me with my current set up.

I then moved to a different room and attempted to watch the same program on the XG1-A DVR, and confirmed that the same recorded show plays fine, in all its 5.1 glory.

Hopefully Comcast will issue a fix.  It's disheartening to read most of the official responses in this thread are somewhat dismissive of the problem.

would you mind getting the dvr and one of the terminal's (needing 5.1) and go to xfinity>gear>about.  get xre server version, receiver native version number

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Welcome to the world of X1. The audio problems you encountered are now 1.5 years old and they seem light years from being resolved. I finally had enough of the X1 "Companion" boxes and I demanded that Comcast replace them with Arris DVRs.

The reason you are having the problem you are having is the audio firmware in the Pace boxes is set wrong but we have no access to change the settings. The settings we need are hidden or blocked in the firmware. Funny but those settings are accessible in older legacy boxes... 

Over the past six weeks or so, I have exchanged emails and had phone conversations with a handful of Comcast employees about the surround problems. Comcast is becoming more and more comfortable blaming 3rd party audio components for these problems. We cannot let them get away with this position. Every time I talk to someone from Comcast about this, I tell them the truth is almost exactly the opposite. 3rd party audio components actually make it easier to see and recognize what the X1 boxes are doing wrong.

I urge anyone that communicates with Comcast employees to pound into their heads that they are dead wrong about 3rd party audio components being the cause of surround audio problems... Roughly a week ago, I was told by Comcast repair that the next STB firmware release may address audio issues but I have not received that update yet.

I will remind Comcast once again... DVR Players have been getting surround audio right for 20 years. Blu-ray players have been getting it right for nearly 10 years. Even Comcast's own legacy boxes have been getting surround audio right for 10 years. Yet Comcast's latest and greatest X1 Platform does not get surround audio right and Comcast has known about it for 1.5 years... There is something VERY wrong with this picture...

@gjschmidt wrote:

Until....

Regular Contributor

Rick's right on the money, and unfortunately the issue STILL persists. It's like they have Klingons programming the whole works. Seems silly.
Gold Problem Solver

The Klingon High Command would never tolerate 1.5 years of non-working surround sound. Heads would roll... literally... LOL

@dougkinzinger wrote:
Rick's right on the money, and unfortunately the issue STILL persists. It's like they have Klingons programming the whole works. Seems silly.

Bronze Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

Roughly a week ago, I was told by Comcast repair that the next STB firmware release may address audio issues but I have not received that update yet.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

FWIW - a Comcast Tier 3 rep told me the same - said the firmware update was due at the end of October or early November and would address some major audio issues.  .

Problem Solver

OK you guys think you have it bad...I finally get working ss via my TiVo...Wake up today and my center on my AVR is on its way out...I just can't win.....
Gold Problem Solver

LOL...

@gotpizza wrote:
OK you guys think you have it bad...I finally get working ss via my TiVo...Wake up today and my center on my AVR is on its way out...I just can't win.....

Frequent Visitor

Not that we need more "proof" but same X1 issues here.  Dedicated home theater with 150inch screen and 7.2 surround being run by a Denon AVR.  Blu-Ray, PS4, AppleTV, etc...all work fine.  X1 DVR constantly drops from 5.1 back to Stereo.  Only way to "fix" it is to re-select Surround...and then the next day it is back to Stereo.  Incredibly frustrating.

Can't get Surround on my remote X1 boxes in other rooms at all.

Gold Problem Solver

In the case of the Companion boxes there are three things you can do:

1. Use component instead of HDMI.
2. Run HDMI from the X1 box to an AV receiver with HDMI inputs first. The Companion boxes will give you trouble if you run the HDMI cable to your TV first.
3. Do what I did and get rid of those POS companion boxes and replace them with Arris DVRs...

Even if you get the audio from Companion boxes to stay in surround, the audio when playing recordings from your DVR will most likely be dreadfully out of sync with the video...

@MiddKid99 wrote:

Not that we need more "proof" but same X1 issues here.  Dedicated home theater with 150inch screen and 7.2 surround being run by a Denon AVR.  Blu-Ray, PS4, AppleTV, etc...all work fine.  X1 DVR constantly drops from 5.1 back to Stereo.  Only way to "fix" it is to re-select Surround...and then the next day it is back to Stereo.  Incredibly frustrating.

Can't get Surround on my remote X1 boxes in other rooms at all.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - Surround drop-out apparently resolved!

There appears to have been a change with my Pace X1. My receiver now consistently handles a "Surround" setting and maintains Dolby 5.1 on all stations: live, on-demand, recorded. The setup was X1 Pace to receiver directly with Toslink optical (no change) I think that performance/behavior is now the same as I had with Comcast pre-X1. I have not verified on non-HD stations, just our normal watching behavior.

The change occurred on approximately Oct 23rd - 24th. There had been a phone VM informing us there would be a Comcast service interruption for maintenance overnight at about this date. The version information and date did not change.

This solves my complaint - anyone else?

TomV

Silver Problem Solver

I have the latest firmware and I DIDN'T have to toggle surround when I turned on my X1 DVR this morning.  That doesn't mean it is fixed.  I've had this happen before.  It has never lasted more than 24 hours, so I willl check it again tomorrow and report what I find.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

At least in my situation this is NOT fixed.

TomV, I think this situation may be improved for those using TOSLINK for audio but for those of us using HDMI for audio it is definitely not fixed.

@RobertWy wrote:

I have the latest firmware and I DIDN'T have to toggle surround when I turned on my X1 DVR this morning.  That doesn't mean it is fixed.  I've had this happen before.  It has never lasted more than 24 hours, so I willl check it again tomorrow and report what I find.

Problem Solver

Rick I think the focus has been on fixing the pace DVR. Like I said before someone told me a month ago that on the 27th they would send a fix out to the pace DVRs for sound issues...Maybe Tom could try using just the HDMI to see if it works with that setup!

Gold Problem Solver

Shane I was told there was a large batch of updates (I am guessing STB updates) coming early the second week of October (7th) and there were audio updates included in the release. Needless to say, that hasn't happened yet.

I have two trouble tickets in dealing with audio problems. Later today I will call in on those tickets and see if I can learn anything...

@gotpizza wrote:

Rick I think the focus has been on fixing the pace DVR. Like I said before someone told me a month ago that on the 27th they would send a fix out to the pace DVRs for sound issues...Maybe Tom could try using just the HDMI to see if it works with that setup!

Regular Contributor

My X1 Companion box (still using HDMI for video and optical for audio, telling my receiver to not use audio over HDMI on that input) now plays 5.1 surround sound back from the DVR correctly, without lipsync issues. At least for the two programs I tried.

I haven't paid enough attention to see if the audio dropouts were/are fixed, nor have I tried Companion surround sound from the embedded HDMI audio, but it appears to be a step in the right direction, thank the Lord.

Doug
Contributor

What's strange with my box is typically I have to do the work around each day when the TV is turned on but if I turn off the TV and go out for several hours then come back Surround is still working. One time it stayed in Surround for 4 straight days.
Regular Visitor

I would like to help with your request, but my older receiver does not have HDMI capability.

The sound on the TV's speakers do function via the HDMI feed with TV audio setting on "Surround" (or "Stereo). I can't verify that it is actually 5.1. However, it is my recollection that it did that when I was having problems with drop-outs via the TOSLINK when trying to use my receiver.

In the meantime, I'm at 5 plus days with absolutley no problems. There had to have been a change.

Good luck to those with persisting issues!!!

Tom

Gold Problem Solver

Tom,

Could you go to the "About" screen on your X1 box and provide us with your XRE and STB version numbers???

Thanks,
RG

Silver Problem Solver

I DID NOT have to toggle Surround this morning when I turned on my X1-a/v system.

I will have to watch it today.

Gold Problem Solver

I did have to toggle after a reboot.

@RobertWy wrote:

I DID NOT have to toggle Surround this morning when I turned on my X1-a/v system.

I will have to watch it today.

Regular Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Tom,

Could you go to the "About" screen on your X1 box and provide us with your XRE and STB version numbers???

Thanks,
RG

RickG,

Per ur request:

XRE Server version: 1.47.04 10/22/2014 13:28

XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0

STB Timestamp: Thu Sep 25 18:34:43 2014

STB Version: PX001AN 1.3.4p3s3 PRODse

I did not capture the XRE when I did my initial entry #122 on 10/16. However, is apparent there was a change based on the 10/22/14 XRE date. I don't know if that is a Comcast time or if that is the time of update on my STB. The STB version #'s are the same as when I 1st reported my problems.

Tom

Silver Problem Solver

Hmm.  I didn't have to reset Surround this morning.  That's two days it has stayed on Surround.

Regular Visitor

I've been having the same problem and following along for a while...  I just replaced one of my pace boxes with an arris and the surround has been functioning correctly for the last 2 weeks.  Arris > HDMI > Marantz SR7008 > HDMI > TV

(This has not corrected the audio drop problem, which has actually gotten worse and now has concurrent video glitches)

The biggest surround/stereo glitch I am having now is when I turn Zone 2 on my AVR (HDMI to a second screen by which audio is sent via passthrough), the cable box only puts out stereo, not surround.  All of my other devices handle this correctly and continue to put out Dolby, DTS, DTS-MA, etc... but the comcast box sends PCM Stereo... rebooting nor toggling fixes it...

I'm amazed by the constant stream of problems from these boxes...

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

My Onkyo says it is getting Dolby Direct 5.1 48hz from my Pace greenie.

I got a new firmware today and I didn't have to toggle Surround.

I started a new thread - 1.47.04b

Frequent Visitor

Rebooted my DVR last night, had surround.  Just turned on my system at 10am this morning, back to Stereo (despite the menu still saying Surround).  Had to manually switch it back.  Sigh...

Problem Solver

I just sat in my my chair from long day at work and grabbed my "peanut shaped"  remote and started watching tv. Nothing special needed to be done.......

Silver Problem Solver

Another day of not having to toggle Surround.