Community Forum

X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Problems - Stereo vs Surround

@FormulaGPL wrote:

@gotpizza wrote:
I usetoslink. Whether it says stereo or not it puts outss when is available.

So are you saying that if I run a digital optical cable out from the X1 satellite cable box into the digital optical input of my receiver; and then run a HDMI connectioin between the X1 satellite box and my TV, this will correct the problem.

If so, this is absolutely hilarious.  When I converted my basement into a home theatre room, I invested close to $10 K in audio and video gear.  The system worked fine when I was using a crappy, old Motorola DVR.  And now that I have Comcast's latest ang greatest, I can't even use HDMI connections into my high end (relatively?) audio gear because these X! boxes don't support HDMI audio connections.

So much for progress!

no just run  the toslink to your receiver and change the settings to use sound from the toslink instead. That is what my setup is . I am sure not all receivers will do this function I would ask rickgr on this one. Good luck

Regular Visitor

Thanks. Rick. I'm not nearly as concerned with my family room as I am with my theatre room. Moving the main DVR to the basement makes sense and I'll give it a try. BTW, my main box is a blue light DVR so hopefully it is one of the newer units.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys

I have been quiet for a while but have been monitoring the discussion.  I promised waaay back (see top of thread) that I would let you know how things changed for me when I installed a new Denon receiver. 

Of note, the receiver is also my HDMI switcher.  Every HD component I have goes through here, and then out to the tv, all via HDMI, including the X1 box.  Also, I am still using the X1 box with the "green light" around the power down button.

So....after setting up the Denon I thought it was Christmas all over again.  My problems appeared to be resolved.  I set the Audio output on the X1 to Surround, and it stayed that way, right up until my X1 got "upgraded" several weeks ago. As an aside, I actually do like the new interface a lot :-)  Anyways, since the upgrade I have to go back in and switch to Stereo output then back to Surround for the Denon to recognize the Dolby Digitial signal.  Once selected the audio setting is maintained while I have the Denon on.  When I have switched off before I toddle of to bed, and then I switch back on the next day, I have to go flip-flop the audio settings again on the X1.

So the upshot is, I get to listen in glorious Dolby Digitial, but I have to make the change on the X1 each and every time I turn on the Receiver.  I've already wasted a good chunk of my life talking with Comcast and prefer not to waste any more, so I can live with it as is.  It's one extra (but should be absolutely uneccessary) step when I switch on.

All the best figuring out your resolutions, some of you have far more complicated setups than I do.  Good luck!

Matt

Gold Problem Solver

Matt,

Simple fix. Get an Arris DVR. Your remaining problem will vanish. I have an Arris X1 DVR and a Marantz 5008 receiver. In case you did not know, Marantz and Denon have similar designs and share many parts. They are most likely built in the same place. My Arris/Marantz setup is ALWAYS in the correct surround mode.

@mattsmithus wrote:

Hi Guys

I have been quiet for a while but have been monitoring the discussion.  I promised waaay back (see top of thread) that I would let you know how things changed for me when I installed a new Denon receiver. 

Of note, the receiver is also my HDMI switcher.  Every HD component I have goes through here, and then out to the tv, all via HDMI, including the X1 box.  Also, I am still using the X1 box with the "green light" around the power down button.

So....after setting up the Denon I thought it was Christmas all over again.  My problems appeared to be resolved.  I set the Audio output on the X1 to Surround, and it stayed that way, right up until my X1 got "upgraded" several weeks ago. As an aside, I actually do like the new interface a lot :-)  Anyways, since the upgrade I have to go back in and switch to Stereo output then back to Surround for the Denon to recognize the Dolby Digitial signal.  Once selected the audio setting is maintained while I have the Denon on.  When I have switched off before I toddle of to bed, and then I switch back on the next day, I have to go flip-flop the audio settings again on the X1.

So the upshot is, I get to listen in glorious Dolby Digitial, but I have to make the change on the X1 each and every time I turn on the Receiver.  I've already wasted a good chunk of my life talking with Comcast and prefer not to waste any more, so I can live with it as is.  It's one extra (but should be absolutely uneccessary) step when I switch on.

All the best figuring out your resolutions, some of you have far more complicated setups than I do.  Good luck!

Matt

Regular Visitor

Okay, so I'm going to take Rick's advice and move the X1 DVR from my family room to my home theatre room in the basement.  Currently I have a companion/satellite box in my theatre room.

I have verifed that my DVR is in fact an ARRIS box (Model: MX011ANM); so I'm hoping that moving the DVR to the basement will eliminate the problem of recorded shows only playing back in stereo and not surround sound.

My question is:

Can I just disconnect the DVR in the family room and relocate it to my theatre room in the basement (and likewise relocate the companion box from the basement to my family room); or does Comcast have to get invoved because there are programing issues when you switch devices.  I sincerely hope I don't need to involve them; and that it's simply a matter of my switching the devices anddoung the hookups myself.

Frequent Visitor

SO I had had a similar problem.  Regardless of the box I used with this setup, it would fail to hold the surround sound settings.  I had a teir 2 tech look at it and he couldn't figure it out.  He gave me a new box but that did not correct it either.   What I finally did was use a component cable to hook inot  the tv. and contnued the digital coax to the home theatre box.  It now works.  

One wierd manifiestation I was having was that if I played an item that was recorded on the dvr box, it would send the 5.1 signal.  Anything else was just stereo.

Sounds like the box will only send the 5.1 signal once and that is to the first connection.  In my case, HDMI was first and was being sent to a stero tv.  Thats all that could be sent to the digital coax at that point.  By removing the hdmi audio from the mix, probelm solved.

Problem Solver

Salz..if are using component output that means you have a pace box. The only current way to get the sound to stick is with the arris brand box.
Frequent Visitor

Not sure I understand.  They did provide me with a PACE box but it does seem to be working.  Are you saying that the Arris box solves the problem even when using an HDMI?

Gold Problem Solver

Salz,

Please read this thread. Your answer is right in front of you...

@Salz145 wrote:

Not sure I understand.  They did provide me with a PACE box but it does seem to be working.  Are you saying that the Arris box solves the problem even when using an HDMI?

Frequent Visitor

Not sure that is the answer.  My problem initially was that a satedllite box would not send 5.1 although if I played a dvr recording from the main box it would.  Is that answer saying that the arris dvr box will solve the problem on my satelite box?

Gold Problem Solver

The solution for the DVR is to swap it out for an Arris:

Matt,

Simple fix. Get an Arris DVR. Your remaining problem will vanish. I have an Arris X1 DVR and a Marantz 5008 receiver. In case you did not know, Marantz and Denon have similar designs and share many parts. They are most likely built in the same place. My Arris/Marantz setup is ALWAYS in the correct surround mode.

The solution for the Pace Companion boxes (there is no 100% solution for the Pace Companion boxes other than swapping them for Arris DVRs which is what I did) is not to use HDMI unless you can go to an HDMI AV receiver first. Even if you do that the Pace Companion boxes may not stay in surround when playing recordings from the DVR or in my case they would switch to stereo after recording playback was stopped. I never found a situation where the Pace Companion boxes were in the correct audio mode 100% of the time. They were always doing something wrong at one point or another. That is why I now have three Arris DVRs. My life with X1 looks pretty good from here...

@Salz145 wrote:

Not sure that is the answer.  My problem initially was that a satedllite box would not send 5.1 although if I played a dvr recording from the main box it would.  Is that answer saying that the arris dvr box will solve the problem on my satelite box?

New Poster

i haver been on the phone with them for months reguarding this problem. They are in no hurry to fix this. I use a late model Pioneer AV system., so I have to manually reset it everytime I turn on the TV.

New Poster

its how I do it also, It seems we know more than tech support

Contributor

message deleted
Gold Problem Solver

Your situation must be unique. I have three Arris DVRs connected to three entirely different audio solutions yet all three handle surround sound perfectly at all times and in all situations.

@Jellymore wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

The solution for the DVR is to swap it out for an Arris:

Matt,

After spending the last month or so on this forum I consider myself lucky I got an Arris box to start with.  (Beautiful picture, not noisy, doesn't run hot etc.)  I do have to say that it doesn't solve all stereo/surround issues.  After a reboot my box will default to stereo sound, even though the setup menu says it is surround. I have to toggle it to stereo and back to surround to actually get surround sound.  I'm fairly certain this began with my box's prior update and continues to be an issue with 1.44.04. 

Contributor

message deleted
Gold Problem Solver

Jelly,

Maybe I am lucky or maybe I am good but when it comes to audio issues I am in a fairly good place with X1... But it took a great deal of work, reading, testing and networking for me to get to this point...

@Jellymore wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Your situation must be unique. I have three Arris DVRs connected to three entirely different audio solutions yet all three handle surround sound perfectly at all times and in all situations.

I would consider your situation unique:  Three DVRs and never any problems.

New Poster

***RESOLVED*** (at least for me)

I have a pioneer 1021 reciever and was very annoyed with the surround/stereo issue. I turned off the HDMI passthrough on my reciever and that resolved the issue. When it's in passthrough mode, the x1 box probably sends stereo because that's what the TV audio is capable of.

Gold Problem Solver

That's a very good point elucid and honestly I never considered that. Do you have a Pace or Arris DVR? I could see your fix certainly benefiting the Pace. I am not sure it would make any difference withan Arris. I am going to test this right away.

Thanks for the tip!!!

@elucid wrote:

***RESOLVED*** (at least for me)

I have a pioneer 1021 reciever and was very annoyed with the surround/stereo issue. I turned off the HDMI passthrough on my reciever and that resolved the issue. When it's in passthrough mode, the x1 box probably sends stereo because that's what the TV audio is capable of.

Regular Visitor

Hello everyone. I have the PACE Box (without any companion boxes, just the main DVR) and I am having the exact same issue Mattsmithus reported on 7-11-14. I have my PACE Box connected thru HDMI to my Xbox One which has a HDMI-in port. In addition to what Mattsmithus has reported, I found that if at the moment the X1 reboots (either the automatic overnight reboot or if I reboot the X1 manually) my Xbox One is on, the sound will continue to be Surround. The X1 DVR will switch to Stereo sound (although the audio setting still says Surround) when the receiver (in my case the Xbox One) is off. The same behavior happens if I connect the X1 DVR directly to the TV, if the TV is off and X1 reboots the sound will change to Stereo, if the TV is on the sound will stay Surround.

For me, the issue started sometime between late June-early July. Before that I did not have any issues with sound, it would stay true Surround every morning, no need for the audio back-and-forth switch workaround. The only thing that has changed is the software version in the X1 DVR. So this should be as easy as checking what the previous software had for audio programming code and check what got “broken” on the software released during summer time.

I have read RickGr4 recommendation to get an Arris Box, which I also believe is the only true option, but to get a Comcast Rep to understand that this thread exists and that the users have found the solution which is replacing the X1that has the "green led" for the one with “blue led” is as difficult as trying to get them understand the issue itself. The only thing they can recommend is to send a technician to your house, which is not free, and have Comcast charge you for a visit which will not resolve anything, unless you are certain you’ll get your box switched for an Arris which no one can guarantee will happen. In my case I prefer to do the workaround and not pay Comcast for somebody to come to my house and waste my time.

P.S. I have read this and other threads and it’s nice to see people are trying to help others. Great job guys.

Gold Problem Solver

1. Comcast phone reps would not have a clue about this issue.
2. X1 boxes appear to have a strange implementation of HDMI specs. I would highly recommend you connect it directly to your TV. Do not route it through your X-Box. Buy an HDMI switch if you have to.
3. I firmly believe the Arris DVR is superior in just about every aspect that matters however there are few forum members who feel the Pace box loads image tiles faster. If picture quality and sound quality matter to you, the Arris is the X1 box to have.

@PRGamer wrote:

Hello everyone. I have the PACE Box (without any companion boxes, just the main DVR) and I am having the exact same issue Mattsmithus reported on 7-11-14. I have my PACE Box connected thru HDMI to my Xbox One which has a HDMI-in port. In addition to what Mattsmithus has reported, I found that if at the moment the X1 reboots (either the automatic overnight reboot or if I reboot the X1 manually) my Xbox One is on, the sound will continue to be Surround. The X1 DVR will switch to Stereo sound (although the audio setting still says Surround) when the receiver (in my case the Xbox One) is off. The same behavior happens if I connect the X1 DVR directly to the TV, if the TV is off and X1 reboots the sound will change to Stereo, if the TV is on the sound will stay Surround.

For me, the issue started sometime between late June-early July. Before that I did not have any issues with sound, it would stay true Surround every morning, no need for the audio back-and-forth switch workaround. The only thing that has changed is the software version in the X1 DVR. So this should be as easy as checking what the previous software had for audio programming code and check what got “broken” on the software released during summer time.

I have read RickGr4 recommendation to get an Arris Box, which I also believe is the only true option, but to get a Comcast Rep to understand that this thread exists and that the users have found the solution which is replacing the X1that has the "green led" for the one with “blue led” is as difficult as trying to get them understand the issue itself. The only thing they can recommend is to send a technician to your house, which is not free, and have Comcast charge you for a visit which will not resolve anything, unless you are certain you’ll get your box switched for an Arris which no one can guarantee will happen. In my case I prefer to do the workaround and not pay Comcast for somebody to come to my house and waste my time.

P.S. I have read this and other threads and it’s nice to see people are trying to help others. Great job guys.

Gold Problem Solver

In order to get an Arris box, the most successful method appears to be to complain enough that your trouble ticket gets escalated to Tier 2. Once your trouble ticket gets to Tier 2, you can request a certain X1 box.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the Tip. I'll continue calling tomorrow.

@RickGr4 wrote:

In order to get an Arris box, the most successful method appears to be to complain enough that your trouble ticket gets escalated to Tier 2. Once your trouble ticket gets to Tier 2, you can request a certain X1 box.

Silver Problem Solver

When I turned on my old Pace greenie this morning, surround was on.  Didn't have to toggle.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

@PRGamer wrote:

Thanks for the Tip. I'll continue calling tomorrow.

You will not be happy with the box!
Regular Visitor

Hi RobertWy, I just checked mine and had to do the toggle again to get Surround.  Same software version, old PACE box.  I changed my setup, instead of leaving the X1 connected to my Xbox One, I connected the X1 directly to the TV overnight but in my case the issue remains.

@RobertWy wrote:

When I turned on my old Pace greenie this morning, surround was on.  Didn't have to toggle.

Silver Problem Solver

Gamer,

This is really hard to nail down.  An X1 CSR called me back about my issue with cloud and multiple DVR's and I mentioned the surround issue and she said they were aware of it but hadn't figured out the root cause yet.

I told her that it had appeared with a recent update and she said she would pass it on.

I will continue to monitor mine and report here when anything changes.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Thanks RobertWy for letting me know.  At least someone confirmed they are aware of the situation.  I will try RickGr4's suggestion and see if I can get somebody from Tier 2 to either change my box for an Arris or forward all the information to the correct staff for resolution.

@RobertWy wrote:

Gamer,

This is really hard to nail down.  An X1 CSR called me back about my issue with cloud and multiple DVR's and I mentioned the surround issue and she said they were aware of it but hadn't figured out the root cause yet.

I told her that it had appeared with a recent update and she said she would pass it on.

Gold Problem Solver

Pizzaman and I and both highly opinionated people. He values certain aspects of the Pace box which mean very little to me but I respect his viewpoint. First and foremost, I care about picture quality, sound quality and audio that works properly.

The Arris DVR had been performing perfectly in regards to audio up until a few weeks ago. One of the recent updates messed up the Arris box in regards to staying in surround audio. The problem is minor but it exists. There is a possibility that XRE version 1.44.11 may have fixed it. I have not been able to verify that. That being said, the Arris box is WAY further ahead than the Pace boxes as far as audio performance and stability is concerned.

It sounds like proper audio performance matters to you. If that is the case, do whatever you need to do in order to get rid of the Pace DVR you have and get an Arris. I have a feeling this particular audio bug will be fixed fairly soon.

@PRGamer wrote:

Thanks RobertWy for letting me know.  At least someone confirmed they are aware of the situation.  I will try RickGr4's suggestion and see if I can get somebody from Tier 2 to either change my box for an Arris or forward all the information to the correct staff for resolution.

@RobertWy wrote:

Gamer,

Silver Problem Solver

Turned the system on this morning and had surround.

Silver Problem Solver

Surround is working today.

New Poster

We also have this problem and many more audio issue's with the x1 system! this is supposed to be a state of the art, most high tech entertainment system available... So why is the audio end of it so horrible?? !!! My x1 system will not switch into surround sound and is not in 5.1 dolby digital when watching live tv. it is only in dolby digital prologic!...and it sucks!!! The "so called" comcast x1 technicians have no clue what i am even talking about when i talk to them.. i have had them out to my house and they have replaced my boxes and now my problems are even worse...I have my x1 box connected to my pioneer vsx receiver via fiber optic cable, so it should always be in 5.1 surround sound, there should never be any hesitation.... Now a year later and still not fixed!!!!!!! We are NOT Happy with this at all!! Does any one else have the following issues as well? My audio playback from my dvr is in 5.1 dolby digital, however the playback is delayed by a half of a second. Almost kungfu theater worthy. Also shows that we record on ABC, Fox, ESPN, Fx, Fox sports1, FXx, and i am sure there are a few more channels- the audio Playback switches in and out of 5.1 dolby digital surround sound, and makes it completely in audible! How can they screw up this technology that has been in use for almost 2 decades? Comcast PLEASE Fix this!!!! It should not take to much to fix these issues, it isn't a hardware issue, this is in your horrible software, did your hire some one from microsoft to program this system? these are horrible bugs to have this far into your roll out of this system... I see threads of these issues going back a few years now, come on- put this one at the top of the list! Its bad enough we are CONSTANTLY resetting our set top boxes and having it CONSTANTLY lock up- so tired of going to switch channels and having it lock up! then having to unplug the damb thing and waiting for it to go through its start up... Tried waiting it out, tried just holding the power button and waiting that out..btw that never works.. have to unplug it..Horrible (in my opinion) response to the many complaints i have seen about this system. really like many of the features, especially like the ability to record multiple shows at once, and also have that available in any room.. but the audio issues are really starting to out way the things we like about it.

Gold Problem Solver

There are solutions and work arounds for this. If you had read as much as you claimed you have you would have found them.
In fact your solution is contained within this thread...

FYI, lockups are indicative of signal issues that need to be addressed by a service visit. That is a daily conversation in this forum...

@aseger wrote:

We also have this problem and many more audio issue's with the x1 system! this is supposed to be a state of the art, most high tech entertainment system available... So why is the audio end of it so horrible?? !!! My x1 system will not switch into surround sound and is not in 5.1 dolby digital when watching live tv. it is only in dolby digital prologic!...and it sucks!!! The "so called" comcast x1 technicians have no clue what i am even talking about when i talk to them.. i have had them out to my house and they have replaced my boxes and now my problems are even worse...I have my x1 box connected to my pioneer vsx receiver via fiber optic cable, so it should always be in 5.1 surround sound, there should never be any hesitation.... Now a year later and still not fixed!!!!!!! We are NOT Happy with this at all!! Does any one else have the following issues as well? My audio playback from my dvr is in 5.1 dolby digital, however the playback is delayed by a half of a second. Almost kungfu theater worthy. Also shows that we record on ABC, Fox, ESPN, Fx, Fox sports1, FXx, and i am sure there are a few more channels- the audio Playback switches in and out of 5.1 dolby digital surround sound, and makes it completely in audible! How can they screw up this technology that has been in use for almost 2 decades? Comcast PLEASE Fix this!!!! It should not take to much to fix these issues, it isn't a hardware issue, this is in your horrible software, did your hire some one from microsoft to program this system? these are horrible bugs to have this far into your roll out of this system... I see threads of these issues going back a few years now, come on- put this one at the top of the list! Its bad enough we are CONSTANTLY resetting our set top boxes and having it CONSTANTLY lock up- so tired of going to switch channels and having it lock up! then having to unplug the damb thing and waiting for it to go through its start up... Tried waiting it out, tried just holding the power button and waiting that out..btw that never works.. have to unplug it..Horrible (in my opinion) response to the many complaints i have seen about this system. really like many of the features, especially like the ability to record multiple shows at once, and also have that available in any room.. but the audio issues are really starting to out way the things we like about it.

New Poster

Thanks for your reply Rick... kind of not so helpful. is it that hard to just post the answer your suggesting? . already read all the posts regarding these issues before i made my post.. the answer is to replace the box's once again.. been there done that... still same probs...and more since they were replaced.. so that is not the answer..but i will call and request the new arris box's which i already have and hope that we don't have to deal with all the issues we have with these..

Gold Problem Solver

An Arris made DVR will solve MOST of your issues however there is a NEW issue that just came up with the latest STB firmware version. In regards to surround audio, there are old issues which have never been resolved (primarily with the Pace DVR). There is also a new issue which hasn't been entirely pinpointed yet that seems to effect both Arris and Pace boxes. There is two threads running on this, one of which I started. That being said, the Arris DVR will get you MUCH closer to a solution for this problem.

Your lock ups and crashes are signal related. It is discussed every single day in this forum. There is a least three active threads running today alone.

1. Get an Arris DVR. If you have an Arris DVR now, read my thread or RobertWy's thread on this new issue.
2. Get your signal levels straightened out.

@aseger wrote:

Thanks for your reply Rick... kind of not so helpful. is it that hard to just post the answer your suggesting? . already read all the posts regarding these issues before i made my post.. the answer is to replace the box's once again.. been there done that... still same probs...and more since they were replaced.. so that is not the answer..but i will call and request the new arris box's which i already have and hope that we don't have to deal with all the issues we have with these..

New Poster

You can say all day long that there are resolutions in this thread
But there are not. Mine is connected HDMI straight to the TV and coax or toslink to the receiver and it absolutely refuses to go into surround unless I connect the TV component. Then it will switch to Dolby digital. But guess what. It goes right back to stereo if I connect the hdmi back. So it just plain doesn't work at all. Quite simple. It should output Dolby digital to all jacks when you set it to surround.. It does not.
New Poster

And before you ask, no I won't put my my main dvr there in order
to fix the issue. I am using one of the regular x1 receivers. I'm already using the dvr in my home theater room.
Gold Problem Solver

The Arris built DVR solves this.

@braddman wrote:
But there are not. Mine is connected HDMI straight to the TV and coax or toslink to the receiver and it absolutely refuses to go into surround unless I connect the TV component. Then it will switch to Dolby digital. But guess what. It goes right back to stereo if I connect the hdmi back. So it just plain doesn't work at all. Quite simple. It should output Dolby digital to all jacks when you set it to surround.. It does not.

Gold Problem Solver

You may want to read this thread including my very last post in the thread:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/A-New-Audio-Problem/td-p/2280593

It sounds like you are talking about Companion boxes. Here are your choices:

1. If you must connect the X1 box directly to the TV, use component connections and completely disconnect HDMI.
2. If you can, run the HDMI to an AV receiver first, then out to the TV.
3. If you can't or won't do either of the first two, do what I did and get rid of those awful Pace Companion boxes and replace them with Arris DVRs...

@braddman wrote:

Contributor

I love how no moderators have provided a response to the audio issues in this forum.
Regular Visitor

Ok.. soo Here is a question.. Going on with sound issues on this forum...  I had just gotten X1 this week, and I have a surround system..  soo everything is pretty new.. the surround system is about 4 years old..   so thats dated.. but the wierdest thing happenned..    Playing movies through the xbox1 everything sounds fine..  then watching anything from the x1 (which goes straight to the sound system)  the pitch is low..   its wierd.. everything sounds like an octave lower.  Ive looked at the settings and everything I can think of..  but to no avail..   Any ideas?   

Gold Problem Solver

Are you talking about pitch (which is frequency), or are you simply talking about the volume level. X1 boxes do not output as much volume as other source units. It is the way the X1 boxes are designed. There is nothing wrong and nothing you can do about it other than turn up the volume on your surround system one or two notches more...

Some of the newer, better audio/video surround sound receivers can correct for this concern...

@Gojuster wrote:

Ok.. soo Here is a question.. Going on with sound issues on this forum...  I had just gotten X1 this week, and I have a surround system..  soo everything is pretty new.. the surround system is about 4 years old..   so thats dated.. but the wierdest thing happenned..    Playing movies through the xbox1 everything sounds fine..  then watching anything from the x1 (which goes straight to the sound system)  the pitch is low..   its wierd.. everything sounds like an octave lower.  Ive looked at the settings and everything I can think of..  but to no avail..   Any ideas?   

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

First off thanks RickGr for the help with getting my Harmony One to mate up with my X1 box - works great!  The reason for this post is that since the X1 was installed I have been having the exact problem Mattsmithus posted on 7-11-14 above.  And, I have been doing the exact proceedure every morning to get the X1 to output Dolby Digital.  Pain in the rear.  Just got off phone with Comcast and the agent I spoke with says that there is going to be a firmware update end of October beginning of November that is supposed to address this problem.  We'll see.  If that doesn't work (I guess I'll wait so I don't have to wait for the technician) I am going to start demanding a Blue Light Arris as RickGr has recommended.

Gold Problem Solver

You are welcome.

The Arris X1 DVR solves FAR more problems than it creates... Especially audio and picture quality issues.

@chuckebabe wrote:

First off thanks RickGr for the help with getting my Harmony One to mate up with my X1 box - works great!  The reason for this post is that since the X1 was installed I have been having the exact problem Mattsmithus posted on 7-11-14 above.  And, I have been doing the exact proceedure every morning to get the X1 to output Dolby Digital.  Pain in the rear.  Just got off phone with Comcast and the agent I spoke with says that there is going to be a firmware update end of October beginning of November that is supposed to address this problem.  We'll see.  If that doesn't work (I guess I'll wait so I don't have to wait for the technician) I am going to start demanding a Blue Light Arris as RickGr has recommended.

Regular Visitor

No.. its the ptich of all sounds..   its lower.. my kids actually pointed it out.  Its interesting..  never had or even heard of that before..  I did read another thread about how the processors on some surround systems just cant  process it. Even if its through Optical, hdmi, etc..    FYI..  if I go HDMI, it pauses, drops out, crackles, and then just keeps getting lower and lower...   

Need a new system I guess. I did hear that they are releasing a new firmware update in October to address sound..  can someone confirm this?

Gold Problem Solver

I am not sure what you are hearing but I am able to do a very simply comparison on my main system which also happens to have my best audio system connected to it. I am able to quickly switch over to an antenna and compare Comcast's broadcast to what is being broadcast over the air.

I can assure you that I hear absolutely no change in pitch (frequency) between Comcast and the OTA broadcast. I just checked again to make sure.

Sorry but I truly if you are hearing a difference the issue is elsewhere and not Comcast's fault. I wonder if what you were hearing before was wrong and what you are hearing now is right.

I highly doubt there are any updates coming to address this. You are the first to mention it and Comcast has MANY other audio problems to solve.

@Gojuster wrote:

No.. its the ptich of all sounds..   its lower.. my kids actually pointed it out.  Its interesting..  never had or even heard of that before..  I did read another thread about how the processors on some surround systems just cant  process it. Even if its through Optical, hdmi, etc..    FYI..  if I go HDMI, it pauses, drops out, crackles, and then just keeps getting lower and lower...   

Need a new system I guess. I did hear that they are releasing a new firmware update in October to address sound..  can someone confirm this?

Gold Problem Solver

If your HDMI audio pops and crackles, something is certainly wrong. Do you have another cable box you can swap into that system. Do you have other HDMI cables you can test with?

Problem Solver

I agree with Rick.  If the audio is as described, I would start with swapping HDMI cords.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

@comcastbrandon, can you comment on any of the other reported issues here in this thread?
Problem Solver

Dillinger

Comcast does not troubleshoot 3rd party audio equipment.  So for those issues I would suggest to read here in the forums for user-resolutions with home theater systems.

Another issue I read was how the boxes process the sound before they HDMI output.  I can't comment on that issue besides helping you set it to Surround Vs Stereo

If there's a specific issue you'd like me to comment on, let me know.  Find the post and I can reach out to my managers to find a better answer for you.

Thanks

Brandon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!