Community Forum

X1 Audio Lip Sync Issues

New Poster

X1 Audio Lip Sync Issues

Hello I just upgraded to X1 from my old Motorola DVR cable box and under certain conditions I am noticing audio lip sync issues between video and the audio coming out of my receiver. The X1 system is set for digital audio output Dolby digital 5.1 and the digital tos link connector connects to my Harman Kardon receiver. The Samsung TV audio is disabled and set to external speaker system.

If a live broadcast has a true 5.1 source (like an hbo movie) then there is little/no issue seen
If the broadcast source is in stereo like some channels that don't broadcast in 5.1 then lips are visibly out of sync (note: digital audio output is still set to Dolby 5.1 on the cable box)
if the DVR is used to play a recorded program the same conditions apply but things look a little worse for stereo sources and 5.1 sources may actually be affected as well
If the cable box digital audio output is changed to stereo and still connected to the receiver via toslink then there are no lip sync issues whatsoever under any condition.

Although it fixes the problems, it is not desirable to keep the cable box set to stereo digital output.
Also please note that there were no audio issues like this with the old Motorola cable box that I just mailed back. There are no issues with the Blu-ray player, AppleTV, or Roku. The only component that does not work properly in this household is the new X1 cable box as described above.

Please help.

Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Lip Sync Issues

Sorry to tell you this but your concerns are well known and widely discussed in this forum. Plenty of current information exists.

Any chance you did any reading in this forum before you posted this???

RB-Philly wrote:

Hello I just upgraded to X1 from my old Motorola DVR cable box and under certain conditions I am noticing audio lip sync issues between video and the audio coming out of my receiver. The X1 system is set for digital audio output Dolby digital 5.1 and the digital tos link connector connects to my Harman Kardon receiver. The Samsung TV audio is disabled and set to external speaker system.

If a live broadcast has a true 5.1 source (like an hbo movie) then there is little/no issue seen
If the broadcast source is in stereo like some channels that don't broadcast in 5.1 then lips are visibly out of sync (note: digital audio output is still set to Dolby 5.1 on the cable box)
if the DVR is used to play a recorded program the same conditions apply but things look a little worse for stereo sources and 5.1 sources may actually be affected as well
If the cable box digital audio output is changed to stereo and still connected to the receiver via toslink then there are no lip sync issues whatsoever under any condition.

Although it fixes the problems, it is not desirable to keep the cable box set to stereo digital output.
Also please note that there were no audio issues like this with the old Motorola cable box that I just mailed back. There are no issues with the Blu-ray player, AppleTV, or Roku. The only component that does not work properly in this household is the new X1 cable box as described above.

Please help.

Thanks.

New Poster

Thank you.  I will search and read more.  If there's no solution is there any chance of solving the problem if I just buy a new receiver and use HDMI instead of digital audio out?  

Gold Problem Solver

There is no way to know for sure until you try but I can tell you that I two Marantz AV receivers (one is brand new and the other is roughly three years old) that use all HDMI connections.

I have no noteworthy problems with audio sync on either system so yes, I think using all HDMI connections can help.
New Poster

Which Marantz do you have?  The NR1506 looks like it would be perfect for my old Polk PSW650 / RM4300 SAT setup.    Are you running everything through HDMI or are you using the digital audio output from the XG1-A ?

Gold Problem Solver

I got a "can't pass up" deal on a SR7010. Fabulous product.

NR1506 is a good unit. Many people who own Marantz products will tell you their products sound better than competing brands and I agree.

I use HDMI connections where ever possible.
Most Valued Poster

Also seeing this issue with Lips not aligning with Surround sound. Only when program/movie is not in 5.1
Gold Problem Solver

Unless you define your system and your connections this comment does not mean a whole lot...

tstack wrote:
Also seeing this issue with Lips not aligning with Surround sound. Only when program/movie is not in 5.1

Most Valued Poster

Sorry - Vizio Sound bar - Optical from sound bar to TV HDMI. Older sony TV from 2008 but does pass-through signal. No HDMI in put on sound bar. I don't think I want to put the optical cable into back of Cable box because then I don't get sound with my PS3 when watching movies.

Gold Problem Solver

In my opinion the use of an optical connection is the problem...

I have 3 X1 boxes which have additional audio systems connected to them. Two are all HDMI and I don't noticed any issues. It should be noted that I have the Automatic Audio Sync turned on in both of my Marantz AV receivers.

The only system I notice any sync issues is the one that uses a TOSLINK digital audio connection...
New Poster

I am also having an audio video sync problem.  The problems discussed in the thread seem to involve more complicated systems than mine. I have an X1 box connected directly to my TV via an HDMI cable.  When I watch a recorded program, and fast forward through the commercials, the audio and video progressively get out of sync.  I never had this problem with the old Motorola box where the programs were locally stored on a hard drive.  Now I understand that the programs are stored in the cloud.  It's hard to imagine there is something wrong with my TV or the cable because when I turn off the box for ten seconds and go back to recorded programs there is initially no sync problem, but the longer I watch and the more I fast forward the more pronounced the problem becomes.  The X1 box seems like the likely culprit to me.   I asked comcast what version of firmware was in my box but the person I spoke with could not tell me and the instructions I found in the message thread didn't pull up the firmware version. Now I have to reset my box about every four hours if I am watching recorded programs. Any suggestions?

New Poster

Hi, FWIW I have found that on my system if I switch the input source away from X1 (in my case, I just use air antenna), then back again, the sync issue is resolved for a while. As has been noted elsewhere audio sync will start to drift again and I'll quickly switch back and forth again. It's some wierd TV, box interaction. I dunno. Kinda tired of it.

Frequent Visitor

Not that audio sync is a constant problem but, after renting an on demand movie audio sync was out, switching to another input, then back to input cable box is connected to, audio sync was fixed.

Thanks for advice!

New Poster

I ran into this problem when I used the audio out on the back of my actual cable box. I have an older HD tv and turned on the “Game Mode” option, found within my tv’s settings menu. Hope it helps
Frequent Visitor

I see the same issue regardless of the box output used.  HDMI, component, digital audio and coaxial all experience the same picture lag....audio advances faster than the video.